ADVERTISEMENT

ISU - post game musings

TMFT

All-Big Ten
Nov 4, 2019
Got myself 5 hours of sleep. Watching the BTN DVR now and getting ready to leave for a work event in a couple hours. So here we go:

1) So it’s Tayven, I guess. I know he was planned to start last night with some alternating, but feels like he got a lot more pitches than Sorsby
2) Poor Sorsby had two receivers (Henderson & Archer) drop passes right in their hands, oof
3) both QBs are going to throw picks against B1G CBS if they keep throwing those out routes with corners so close.
4) did Jaylin get promised 25 touches so he wouldn’t transfer? Really seems like they’re forcing him with some of those runs.
5) to be fair, Jaylin did almost break several middle runs but got shoestring tackled
6) WTF with running into the punter, the second one was particularly egregious
7) 2x WTF with Carpenter getting two ineligible downfield penalties?
8) felt like the OL regressed. Watched Katic whiff on multiple blocks. QBs had more pressure than I would have expected. Maybe a product of sending more guys on routes vs protection?
9) great game by the LN boys, Cooper & McCulley.
10) overall, didn’t FEEL like a dominant game at all. I sure didn’t feel like it was a 550 - 95 total yards game.

I don’t buy Jackson is much better at all over Sorsby. It’s almost as if the competition was set up for Jackson to look better, but oh well. We’ll ride with Jackson and see where it goes.
I agree. I’m still a Sorsby guy. I just have the same feeling as you that they seem to have settled on Tayven for one reason or another.

In the passing game, I'm scratching my head as to why one or more of Lucas, McCulley, Henderson, or a TE isn't by formation or design being placed in a position to have a favorable matchup. more often.

Lucas being covered by any LB should be very favorable. Lucas being double covered and serving as a decoy from the slot creating single coverage for others is favorable.

McCulley against any smallish DB should be favorable like James Hardy was. Does McCulley have the size to line up as a TE in certain formations?

Henderson as a relief valve against a LB should be favorable. Have we setup and run a decent screen pass or wheel route to a RB yet this season?

Whomever the TE is, you would think that would be a favorable matchup most of the time against LBs or 4th or 5th DBs.

Lining up in a 4 or 5 wide set with the primary goal of the formation being running a QB up the middle should be good for positive chunk yards as well.

In the passing game, I'm scratching my head as to why one or more of Lucas, McCulley, Henderson, or a TE isn't by formation or design being placed in a position to have a favorable matchup. more often.

Lucas being covered by any LB should be very favorable. Lucas being double covered and serving as a decoy from the slot creating single coverage for others is favorable.

McCulley against any smallish DB should be favorable like James Hardy was. Does McCulley have the size to line up as a TE in certain formations?

Henderson as a relief valve against a LB should be favorable. Have we setup and run a decent screen pass or wheel route to a RB yet this season?

Whomever the TE is, you would think that would be a favorable matchup most of the time against LBs or 4th or 5th DBs.

Lining up in a 4 or 5 wide set with the primary goal of the formation being running a QB up the middle should be good for positive chunk yards as well.
This game the passing game was much better in design but dropped passes hindered people seeing it. You bring up some good points, I see IU incorporating several of them this game.

I don’t buy Jackson is much better at all over Sorsby. It’s almost as if the competition was set up for Jackson to look better, but oh well. We’ll ride with Jackson and see where it goes.
How many years have we watched Indiana bring in a quarterback in mid-season due to injury who is rusty or perhaps does not even know the plays.

I hope they split quarterback duties again next weekend and the weekend after that.

How many years have we watched Indiana bring in a quarterback in mid-season due to injury who is rusty or perhaps does not even know the plays.

I hope they split quarterback duties again next weekend and the weekend after that.
Noooooooooo!

If you have two quarterbacks, you have none.

I can’t think of a single time that the split QB thing has worked for a team.

Was expecting to see more even snaps and from what I saw, I still think Sorsby is the better one. Way more decisive in the pocket and has the arm to get the ball in tight windows. Jackson was slow with his reads and won’t last the season if he doesn’t make faster decisions.

Sorsby had two easy catches dropped and a Lucas fumble but he runs hard. Where Jackson slides down Sorsby fights for the extra yard. The one thing with him is he doesn’t have the feel yet for touch passes.

Team got sluggish in the middle and there was not much energy in the stadium.

Cooper looked good last night. Had some nice catches.

Guessing that Jackson gets the nod going forward but expect we need both through the season.

Regarding the QB situation, it really does feel like both players are neck and neck. Sorsby obviously got a bad draw having to start against Ohio State and their NFLish defense. Jackson gets the start against a FCS opponent and shows very well. Not really a fair competition if you want the truth.

Jackson came out of it looking like a million dollars and should get the nod next Saturday. Both players are capable QB and we will need both. That said, they'll have trouble keeping Sorsby in today's world!

Got myself 5 hours of sleep. Watching the BTN DVR now and getting ready to leave for a work event in a couple hours. So here we go:

1) So it’s Tayven, I guess. I know he was planned to start last night with some alternating, but feels like he got a lot more pitches than Sorsby
2) Poor Sorsby had two receivers (Henderson & Archer) drop passes right in their hands, oof
3) both QBs are going to throw picks against B1G CBS if they keep throwing those out routes with corners so close.
4) did Jaylin get promised 25 touches so he wouldn’t transfer? Really seems like they’re forcing him with some of those runs.
5) to be fair, Jaylin did almost break several middle runs but got shoestring tackled
6) WTF with running into the punter, the second one was particularly egregious
7) 2x WTF with Carpenter getting two ineligible downfield penalties?
8) felt like the OL regressed. Watched Katic whiff on multiple blocks. QBs had more pressure than I would have expected. Maybe a product of sending more guys on routes vs protection?
9) great game by the LN boys, Cooper & McCulley.
10) overall, didn’t FEEL like a dominant game at all. I sure didn’t feel like it was a 550 - 95 total yards game.
i'm with you on the oline. they didn't dominant like i thought they would which to me is a bit concerning. but overall a good effort. jackson looked very good

Lining up in a 4 or 5 wide set with the primary goal of the formation being running a QB up the middle should be good for positive chunk yards as well
To me your comments all seem reasonable questions. Shouldn’t they be asked to the OC?

Reactions: vesuvius13
Was expecting to see more even snaps and from what I saw, I still think Sorsby is the better one. Way more decisive in the pocket and has the arm to get the ball in tight windows. Jackson was slow with his reads and won’t last the season if he doesn’t make faster decisions.

Sorsby had two easy catches dropped and a Lucas fumble but he runs hard. Where Jackson slides down Sorsby fights for the extra yard. The one thing with him is he doesn’t have the feel yet for touch passes.

Team got sluggish in the middle and there was not much energy in the stadium.

Cooper looked good last night. Had some nice catches.

Guessing that Jackson gets the nod going forward but expect we need both through the season.
I am concerned about your comment that the stadium had no energy. I think assembly hall has shown us how much crowd energy can help players.
So how do we fix this? It has to come from the students.

Noooooooooo!

See Texas Tech, UNC, Auburn, Alabama and Ohio State this year. Granted, top programs can get their backup quarterbacks playing time in mop up rolls. And didn't Ohio State win the national championship with their third string quarterback.

Remember when Indiana had a linebacker playing quarterback out of desperation?

I am concerned about your comment that the stadium had no energy. I think assembly hall has shown us how much crowd energy can help players.
The students were there last night. Made a good showing.

The west side of the stadium was spotty at best. My buddy and his wife decided to come and parking was "sold out." Imagine their surprise to walk in from the west side parking lot through a ghost town.

Kids these days may suck, but lack of atmosphere last night was on the olds.

We got to the grass lots right at 6:50 and we’re in the very back. Was surprised walking into the stadium how few people were there but guess it’s family weekend so maybe explains why the tailgate looked full but the stadium wasn’t. Student section was great to start but as the game went on it emptied.

Everyone knew we were winning the game. From the second quarter on it felt more like watching a scrimmage than a game and that was what the energy in the stadium felt like.

I know Friday night games aren’t great but still, I don’t get paying fans who leave so early. Section 109 where our seats are was emptying out by mid 3rd quarter. The guy in front of me was more interested in checking out his Amazon shopping order and the family was more interested in taking selfies.

To me, a negative to our basketball games:
1. The drive there can be in snowy weather.
2. Assembly hall has many bad seats
3. The total drive time can be longer than the game itself.
The pluses for football:
1. Usually good weather and if not you can dress for it.
2. With tailgating you can have several hours pre game and then a 3 hour game. Makes a day of it.
3. Games usually end early enough to have dinner and drive home before it is super late.

So why don’t we go to football games? Well, one issue is it takes 17K to sell out AH and what, 55 K to sell out football?
But I still think the difference is winning.

See Texas Tech, UNC, Auburn, Alabama and Ohio State this year. Granted, top programs can get their backup quarterbacks playing time in mop up rolls. And didn't Ohio State win the national championship with their third string quarterback.

Remember when Indiana had a linebacker playing quarterback out of desperation?
Florida played 2 qbs in 2006 and won the Championship. They played CJ Leak and Tim Tebow. They also one rotated 3 Noah Brindise , Doug Johnson and Jesse Palmer.

I'm pretty sure Indiana State's 2Q drive where they threw the pick was the only time in the entire game where they even crossed the 50-yard line. I don't understand how that didn't feel like a dominant performance.

I mean, they had less than 100 yards of offense total and only got on the scoreboard due to a scoop-and-score. Even against a FCS team, it is hard to be more dominant than that. FCS players are still D1 athletes, and in a sixty-minute game, they are likely to put a little bit of something together at least once. I mean, Murray State put up 70 more yards against Louisville in a 56-0 loss than Indiana State did against us.

And don't forget, we were on the move before Lucas fumbled that ball, no fumble and it's pretty likely that this game ends up 48-0 instead of 41-7.

Regarding the QB situation, it really does feel like both players are neck and neck. Sorsby obviously got a bad draw having to start against Ohio State and their NFLish defense. Jackson gets the start against a FCS opponent and shows very well. Not really a fair competition if you want the truth.

Jackson came out of it looking like a million dollars and should get the nod next Saturday. Both players are capable QB and we will need both. That said, they'll have trouble keeping Sorsby in today's world!
I think you’re right. It’s created an impression of Jackson that might not be accurate. I hope he excels against Louisville, but I’m not convinced yet.

Noooooooooo!

In this day and age if you dont have two quarterbacks you only have one as the other will be hitting the portal the next day. They both look good and with Williams still several weeks from being ready I would play them both until we have a back up.

I'm pretty sure Indiana State's 2Q drive where they threw the pick was the only time in the entire game where they even crossed the 50-yard line. I don't understand how that didn't feel like a dominant performance.

I mean, they had less than 100 yards of offense total and only got on the scoreboard due to a scoop-and-score. Even against a FCS team, it is hard to be more dominant than that. FCS players are still D1 athletes, and in a sixty-minute game, they are likely to put a little bit of something together at least once. I mean, Murray State put up 70 more yards against Louisville in a 56-0 loss than Indiana State did against us.

And don't forget, we were on the move before Lucas fumbled that ball, no fumble and it's pretty likely that this game ends up 48-0 instead of 41-7.
Murray would blow Indiana State out. Not sure we can learn much when the competition is that inferior.

Reactions: bang63
There was energy once people showed up in the middle of the first quarter. Seriously, I took off early from work, drove 2 hours, attended the Alumni function and still was in my seat 20 minutes before kickoff. It's called planning ahead.

The energy was gone in the second quarter because the team decided to coast. I saw some substitutions that may have contributed to letting ISU put a drive together and for us to go flat.The second quarter is too early to sub. IMO, you let players get their work in and keep their minds sharp and their bodies loose and warmed up. Take a play off or two, but not series until the game is out of reach.

The second half started with us wondering what happened to the team in the first quarter. We were relieved the team recovered, but we had a bad feeling the team and the staff were going to pull the plug again.

Nobody extinguish enthusiasm like Tom Allen. His silly secret starters and his team's vanilla offensive tendencies don't lead to excitement. Even after two games, it feels like the UL game will be our season opener. I feel we made mistakes last night that you would have made in your first game. We need to step it up for UL and I am really concerned about Akron.

In this day and age if you dont have two quarterbacks you only have one as the other will be hitting the portal the next day. They both look good and with Williams still several weeks from being ready I would play them both until we have a back up.
Sorsby is a good backup, but the team responds better and the offense has better flow and pace with Jackson. Sorsby will be the third option when Williams is ready unless Jackson struggles or gets hurt.

I have always thought that a team should work the backup QB in preparation for a game with 2 or three plays based on the scouting report. Bring the backup in for the plays when the situation fits the play design. It gives the starter a chance to talk with the coaches like a quick time out and would allow the backup to stay engaged in the game. It also builds a level of comfort with the starting offense

There was energy once people showed up in the middle of the first quarter. Seriously, I took off early from work, drove 2 hours, attended the Alumni function and still was in my seat 20 minutes before kickoff. It's called planning ahead.

The energy was gone in the second quarter because the team decided to coast. I saw some substitutions that may have contributed to letting ISU put a drive together and for us to go flat.The second quarter is too early to sub. IMO, you let players get their work in and keep their minds sharp and their bodies loose and warmed up. Take a play off or two, but not series until the game is out of reach.

The second half started with us wondering what happened to the team in the first quarter. We were relieved the team recovered, but we had a bad feeling the team and the staff were going to pull the plug again.

Nobody extinguish enthusiasm like Tom Allen. His silly secret starters and his team's vanilla offensive tendencies don't lead to excitement. Even after two games, it feels like the UL game will be our season opener. I feel we made mistakes last night that you would have made in your first game. We need to step it up for UL and I am really concerned about Akron.
Not much positive in your post. Hope we are better. If you are correct, is Allen fired?

I have always thought that a team should work the backup QB in preparation for a game with 2 or three plays based on the scouting report. Bring the backup in for the plays when the situation fits the play design. It gives the starter a chance to talk with the coaches like a quick time out and would allow the backup to stay engaged in the game. It also builds a level of comfort with the starting offense
You might be on to something here. If you provide me with his personal email address, I'd be happy to forward this as a "copy and paste" to Tom, giving you full credit, of course.

Like what you have to say.
I like Sorsby too. Believe him to be a little more mobile, a stronger runner, equal in passing, quicker release, decent decision maker for a young QB. + I prefer his Texas background. It's competitive, with cultured talent and often fierce rivalries. But I too suspect TJ gets the nod. Sometimes the breaks dictate who gets the minutes and/or the starts and last night he got the breaks. I'm alright with that as Sorsby's ammo is dry and loaded when he's needed.
Henderson and Christian are good quality grinders. Particularly like Henderson for his size, a bit of wiggle, always leaning forward strength, receiving skill and positions his feet well for good balance. He's a passing game +. To me he's 1 of those B1G RB'S who can find a place to play on Sunday.
Bell even though it was against lower level talent had a fine game plan. Just as I think his OSU plan was appropriate although his play calling was to restricted.
Brohm while at PUke had some standout D players but struggled to find a capable Coordinator for them. To me that makes L'ville a Q mark with his 1st season.

Last edited:
Not much positive in your post. Hope we are better. If you are correct, is Allen fired?
I actually texted my wife at halftime that if we don't turn the intensity back up that Allen should be fired. ISU outscored us and outplayed us in the second quarter. You can't let that happen unless you have the game won in the 4th quarter and playing with your bench. I've seen too many bad games to feel comfortable with a 2 touchdown lead.

We got away with it, but a team like Akron would make it a close game and could win if the staff and players take their foot off the gas.

Florida played 2 qbs in 2006 and won the Championship. They played CJ Leak and Tim Tebow. They also one rotated 3 Noah Brindise , Doug Johnson and Jesse Palmer.
Tebow was used very sparingly in ‘06. That’s why the jump pass was so famous and unexpected. Up til then, he was basically a fullback in short yardage situations.

Yeah, and it was Bloomington South vs Bloomington North last night...always a "biggie" on the local scene, I'm sure.
The students are far more likely to have friends/family/closer connections to their big schools than the regular ticket holders.

They still showed up.

I’m not saying that others don’t have legit excuses for missing. I’m just saying the students were blamed for the atmosphere last night and it was 100% not their fault.

The students are far more likely to have friends/family/closer connections to their big schools than the regular ticket holders.

They still showed up.

I’m not saying that others don’t have legit excuses for missing. I’m just saying the students were blamed for the atmosphere last night and it was 100% not their fault.
Blame IU’s fault for scheduling the sisters of the poor. When we played Illinois on Friday a few years ago it was much better.

Murray would blow Indiana State out. Not sure we can learn much when the competition is that inferior.
Even if that's true, it is still stupid to claim it didn't feel like a dominant performance.

Indiana State basically did as close to nothing as it is possible for a D1 school to do in a 60-minute game.

Last year, I know they reported prior to the game today vs Notre Dame that NC State used 4 QBs last season in varying roles.

Appears to be accurate.

I’m still of the opinion that QBs make the big bucks because they’re the leader of the offense. They’re supposed to be “the guy” who gets looked to when things are on the line. It’s like dual presidents or the Roman triumvirate. Gotta have your guy. Nothing wrong with having good understudies, that’s ideal. But even if everyone is competing for the job all year, on game day, this “feed the hot hand” or alternate series deal is a long term bad idea.

Appears to be accurate.

I’m still of the opinion that QBs make the big bucks because they’re the leader of the offense. They’re supposed to be “the guy” who gets looked to when things are on the line. It’s like dual presidents or the Roman triumvirate. Gotta have your guy. Nothing wrong with having good understudies, that’s ideal. But even if everyone is competing for the job all year, on game day, this “feed the hot hand” or alternate series deal is a long term bad idea.

Just from what I saw last night at The Rock, I personally thought that Sorsby throws a better ball and is more field awareness. We’ll need both because running the QB as much as we do out of the pocket, they will take a beating this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT