ADVERTISEMENT

ISU - post game musings

Noooooooooo!

If you have two quarterbacks, you have none.

I can’t think of a single time that the split QB thing has worked for a team.
You have to go back to Florida State under coach Bowden when Casey Weldon and Brad Johnson alternated time at QB during games. He did this several times before but 1990 was the last year he did this.

After a perceived ‘turtle in a shell‘ performance v. OSU, IU’s offense showed some life.
To be fair, poor starting position contributed to last week’s play calling.

3-9 is off the table with any continuity on offense (33 first downs),
as the defense gets off the field on 3rd down. 4 conversions in 8 quarters so far.
The defense got off the field on 3rd down in 2020 too.
6-6/7-5 and perhaps 8-4 will require fewer penalties… and few injuries.

I thought Jackson earned the start v. UL. Allen will go through the process,
which we should all be happy for him to do. Two weeks with no INTs on offense.
Baz was good for too many last year.

I was hoping the OL (and DL) would do slightly better than they did.
5 ypc would be great next week too.
CTAs comments after the game said he got what he was looking for (on D).

Next week’s contest will show the relative strength of the OL —
ULs DL looked big enough v. GT., and did get a key 3rd quarter shutout.
I think IU OL v. UL DL is the key matchup next week.
I like IUs DBs v. UL WRs after their success v. OSU.
DBs need to take advantage of Plummer’s misses and get INTs for a short field.

Sorsby is a good backup, but the team responds better and the offense has better flow and pace with Jackson. Sorsby will be the third option when Williams is ready unless Jackson struggles or gets hurt.

I have always thought that a team should work the backup QB in preparation for a game with 2 or three plays based on the scouting report. Bring the backup in for the plays when the situation fits the play design. It gives the starter a chance to talk with the coaches like a quick time out and would allow the backup to stay engaged in the game. It also builds a level of comfort with the starting offense
Dexter Williams completed a whopping 34% of his passes. He was another in a series of quarterbacks that were thrown to the wolves. I think the jury is still out regarding the primary quarterback and that's not necessarily A bad thing

Just from what I saw last night at The Rock, I personally thought that Sorsby throws a better ball and is more field awareness. We’ll need both because running the QB as much as we do out of the pocket, they will take a beating this season.
Not that it means anything, but Jackson had to come out for a play after being tossed on his ass. He's going to get hit a lot harder than that in the future.

I thought Sorsby was hanging his head after coming out. I hate to see it, but understand it - he knows Jackson will probably start next week. But he needs to keep his head in the game, because odds are about 99% he'll be needed before too long, whether Jackson gets injured or doesn't perform.

Just from what I saw last night at The Rock, I personally thought that Sorsby throws a better ball and is more field awareness. We’ll need both because running the QB as much as we do out of the pocket, they will take a beating this season.
Yeah, TJ seemed to throw a bit high/long but was bailed out with some good catches by the WRs. He also was a bit antsy in the pocket. On the play he got dinged up and had to sit out a play, he had a clean pocket, but kept inching forward until he basically ran into the defense.

Not that it means anything, but Jackson had to come out for a play after being tossed on his ass. He's going to get hit a lot harder than that in the future.

I thought Sorsby was hanging his head after coming out. I hate to see it, but understand it - he knows Jackson will probably start next week. But he needs to keep his head in the game, because odds are about 99% he'll be needed before too long, whether Jackson gets injured or doesn't perform.
if TJ is named starter and doesn't perform Sorsby better get a chance

if not that shows Allen hasn't learned a damn thing

and many will be pissed

Reactions: DANC
Tebow was used very sparingly in ‘06. That’s why the jump pass was so famous and unexpected. Up til then, he was basically a fullback in short yardage situations.
He played close to 10 plays a game. Yes not exactly rotating qb like they did with Johnson, Palmer and Brindise who they rotated virtually every play. Spurrier felt like he coach them up In between plays and able call plays to their strength

He played close to 10 plays a game. Yes not exactly rotating qb like they did with Johnson, Palmer and Brindise who they rotated virtually every play. Spurrier felt like he coach them up In between plays and able call plays to their strength

he only threw more than 3 passes in two games that year. And if he was averaging 10 plays per game he almost never handed it off.

Look at that game log, he was a short yardage back in ‘06.

We’re straying from the original point, but the ‘06 Gators aren’t the example you’re looking for.

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Even if that's true, it is still stupid to claim it didn't feel like a dominant performance.

Indiana State basically did as close to nothing as it is possible for a D1 school to do in a 60-minute game.
We dominated a third grade math test. Not sure anyone would find relevance in that.

Reactions: bang63
Jackson hit 86% of his passes to like 9 different receivers compared to to Sorsby’s 56% and I think Jackson had two long completions wiped off the board because Carpenter was three yards downfield.

I’m glad both are Hoosiers. Ultimately, it comes down to who the rest of the team likes more, who has their sh*t together in preparation and practice, and, all that being equal, who has the talent.

Also, maybe Jaylin Lucas can be the second coming of Percy Harvin, speaking of the 06 Gators.

Reactions: midwolfe

That's a good point. Sorsby will get his chance. The only problem I see is we have a very competitive game against Louisville and the QB needs to be primed and ready to go not this- your turn my turn strategy. That should have already been decided pre season.

Florida played 2 qbs in 2006 and won the Championship. They played CJ Leak and Tim Tebow. They also one rotated 3 Noah Brindise , Doug Johnson and Jesse Palmer.
Interesting but I bet an exception rather than the rule.
The “2 QBs means no QB” is often repeated.
I do not know if we have appointed Jackson as the QB or we are still alternating.

We dominated a third grade math test. Not sure anyone would find relevance in that.
JFC. The original post said we didn't look or feel dominant. I was responding to that.
Who we are playing doesn't impact whether we did or did not dominate the team we played.

ISU was bad. It was still an inarguably dominant performance. Not hard to understand.

Interesting but I bet an exception rather than the rule.
The “2 QBs means no QB” is often repeated.
I do not know if we have appointed Jackson as the QB or we are still alternating.
I just think people are afraid to do it. Both these are pretty comparable. I don’t see one as being better than the other. So if they if play both so be it.

Jackson hit 86% of his passes to like 9 different receivers compared to to Sorsby’s 56% and I think Jackson had two long completions wiped off the board because Carpenter was three yards downfield.

I’m glad both are Hoosiers. Ultimately, it comes down to who the rest of the team likes more, who has their sh*t together in preparation and practice, and, all that being equal, who has the talent.

Also, maybe Jaylin Lucas can be the second coming of Percy Harvin, speaking of the 06 Gators.
Hopefully he doesn’t smoke as much weed as Percy lol.

Got myself 5 hours of sleep. Watching the BTN DVR now and getting ready to leave for a work event in a couple hours. So here we go:

1) So it’s Tayven, I guess. I know he was planned to start last night with some alternating, but feels like he got a lot more pitches than Sorsby
2) Poor Sorsby had two receivers (Henderson & Archer) drop passes right in their hands, oof
3) both QBs are going to throw picks against B1G CBS if they keep throwing those out routes with corners so close.
4) did Jaylin get promised 25 touches so he wouldn’t transfer? Really seems like they’re forcing him with some of those runs.
5) to be fair, Jaylin did almost break several middle runs but got shoestring tackled
6) WTF with running into the punter, the second one was particularly egregious
7) 2x WTF with Carpenter getting two ineligible downfield penalties?
8) felt like the OL regressed. Watched Katic whiff on multiple blocks. QBs had more pressure than I would have expected. Maybe a product of sending more guys on routes vs protection?
9) great game by the LN boys, Cooper & McCulley.
10) overall, didn’t FEEL like a dominant game at all. I sure didn’t feel like it was a 550 - 95 total yards game.
I agree with point 10, the performance didn't 'feel' as dominant as the stats make it appear. Maybe that has more to do with Indiana repeatedly shooting itself in the foot more than what ISU did.
Point 9 I believe McCulley is due to have a big game any week now. He seems much more comfortable out there.

Just got home from Bloomington for football, staying at my brother in laws in Bloomington last night then Brown County for my granddaughter's cross-country race. Then back to Bloomington for late lunch and then back home to Terre Haute.

After following Hoosiers football since the mid 60's and attending games since student 1976 have had a different perspective on Hoosier football. After 2 games I really have no clue how this team will fare the rest of the year. Indiana State is bad and OSU is good and will get a lot better so maybe best we got them early before offense is fully developed.

My good, so-so and bad observations:

Bad: While we had a successful passing game last night (it was ISU) they had way to me people close to the quarterback all night. I thought the line looked better on passing protection against OSU than they did last night.

Jaylin's fumble, Carpenter's two penalties, the running into the kicker's penalties. overall, too many penalties in my book, and kickoffs out of bounce.

S0-so: Run blocking and quarterback running. Both quarterbacks are still learning the running game and sometimes indecisive. Sorsby seems to have the better natural instincts in the running game. Receivers made some really nice catches but also had some really bad drops but part of the game but can really change momentum both positive and negative. Defensive play calls taking too long to make and guys not getting in right position.

Positive: Defense seems to be more aggressive and better than last year but will learn a lot more over the two weeks how we set up going into the last 8 big ten games. I actually thought we played worse despite only giving up 95 yards and 0 defensive points. The defense scored against average is 11.5 points and the offense is giving up 3.5 per game. Jackson did connect on 18-21 passes with a couple of fantastic catches.
Lucas is always going to make weaker teams look bad with his speed and moves. Unfortunately, we may only have a couple of those the rest of the season. Omar Cooper looked really good for the first time in his IU career.

General observations: Each game is totally different and i have learned not to be too disappointed or excited until about 6 games into the season. As injuries do or don't affect the health and depth of the team. I do believe will make a big difference this year. Quarterback situation might sort itself out. I am not sure who Tayven reminds me of, but Sorsby is in between Ramsey and Chappell. I like Henderson and Lucas a lot in both passing and running game. I believe that we have 5 or 6 receivers who will contribute over the course of the year.

Bottom line I am still waiting on a poster who say Louisville is going to be kill IU to let me know if they agree to give me the 10 or 17 points in either a beer or gentlemans bet.

Oh well beat Louisville and keep improving Hoosiers.

JFC. The original post said we didn't look or feel dominant. I was responding to that.
Who we are playing doesn't impact whether we did or did not dominate the team we played.

ISU was bad. It was still an inarguably dominant performance. Not hard to understand.
I’m saying dominance isn’t relevant when the competition is inferior. Not sure why that troubles you.

It is for some, depending on their agenda

• Wow
Reactions: Jackskip23
I'm pretty sure Indiana State's 2Q drive where they threw the pick was the only time in the entire game where they even crossed the 50-yard line. I don't understand how that didn't feel like a dominant performance.

I mean, they had less than 100 yards of offense total and only got on the scoreboard due to a scoop-and-score. Even against a FCS team, it is hard to be more dominant than that. FCS players are still D1 athletes, and in a sixty-minute game, they are likely to put a little bit of something together at least once. I mean, Murray State put up 70 more yards against Louisville in a 56-0 loss than Indiana State did against us.

And don't forget, we were on the move before Lucas fumbled that ball, no fumble and it's pretty likely that this game ends up 48-0 instead of 41-7.
Watched the replay and indeed this was total control. What we wanted to see.

Noooooooooo!

If you have two quarterbacks, you have none.

I can’t think of a single time that the split QB thing has worked for a team.

In the 2006 season Urban "Let me Grab Your Ass" Meyer made a two-quarterback system work throughout the year with Chris Leak always starting and playing most of the snaps and Tim Tebow coming in on short-yardage situations. Occasionally, ole' "Let me Grab Your Ass" would keep Tebow in if he started a drive.... it was definitely a 2-QB system and Meyer himself called it that.... BTW, the Florida Gators were the BCS National Champs that year.... It works if you have the right players.

In the 2006 season Urban "Let me Grab Your Ass" Meyer made a two-quarterback system work throughout the year with Chris Leak always starting and playing most of the snaps and Tim Tebow coming in on short-yardage situations. Occasionally, ole' "Let me Grab Your Ass" would keep Tebow in if he started a drive.... it was definitely a 2-QB system and Meyer himself called it that.... BTW, the Florida Gators were the BCS National Champs that year.... It works if you have the right players.
That is NOT a 2 QB system. That’s the equivalent to having a wildcat QB. I posted his game log earlier. He was a situational QB at best that year.

Got myself 5 hours of sleep. Watching the BTN DVR now and getting ready to leave for a work event in a couple hours. So here we go:

1) So it’s Tayven, I guess. I know he was planned to start last night with some alternating, but feels like he got a lot more pitches than Sorsby
2) Poor Sorsby had two receivers (Henderson & Archer) drop passes right in their hands, oof
3) both QBs are going to throw picks against B1G CBS if they keep throwing those out routes with corners so close.
4) did Jaylin get promised 25 touches so he wouldn’t transfer? Really seems like they’re forcing him with some of those runs.
5) to be fair, Jaylin did almost break several middle runs but got shoestring tackled
6) WTF with running into the punter, the second one was particularly egregious
7) 2x WTF with Carpenter getting two ineligible downfield penalties?
8) felt like the OL regressed. Watched Katic whiff on multiple blocks. QBs had more pressure than I would have expected. Maybe a product of sending more guys on routes vs protection?
9) great game by the LN boys, Cooper & McCulley.
10) overall, didn’t FEEL like a dominant game at all. I sure didn’t feel like it was a 550 - 95 total yards game.
Maybe, for this game, many IU fans tend to over-emphasize the negatives and under emphasize the positives?

Maybe, for this game, many IU fans tend to over-emphasize the negatives and under emphasize the positives?
I like to think I’m as positive an IU guy as there is. It just didn’t feel right. Hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: Jackskip23
Just got home from Bloomington for football, staying at my brother in laws in Bloomington last night then Brown County for my granddaughter's cross-country race. Then back to Bloomington for late lunch and then back home to Terre Haute.

After following Hoosiers football since the mid 60's and attending games since student 1976 have had a different perspective on Hoosier football. After 2 games I really have no clue how this team will fare the rest of the year. Indiana State is bad and OSU is good and will get a lot better so maybe best we got them early before offense is fully developed.

My good, so-so and bad observations:

Bad: While we had a successful passing game last night (it was ISU) they had way to me people close to the quarterback all night. I thought the line looked better on passing protection against OSU than they did last night.

Jaylin's fumble, Carpenter's two penalties, the running into the kicker's penalties. overall, too many penalties in my book, and kickoffs out of bounce.

S0-so: Run blocking and quarterback running. Both quarterbacks are still learning the running game and sometimes indecisive. Sorsby seems to have the better natural instincts in the running game. Receivers made some really nice catches but also had some really bad drops but part of the game but can really change momentum both positive and negative. Defensive play calls taking too long to make and guys not getting in right position.

Positive: Defense seems to be more aggressive and better than last year but will learn a lot more over the two weeks how we set up going into the last 8 big ten games. I actually thought we played worse despite only giving up 95 yards and 0 defensive points. The defense scored against average is 11.5 points and the offense is giving up 3.5 per game. Jackson did connect on 18-21 passes with a couple of fantastic catches.
Lucas is always going to make weaker teams look bad with his speed and moves. Unfortunately, we may only have a couple of those the rest of the season. Omar Cooper looked really good for the first time in his IU career.

General observations: Each game is totally different and i have learned not to be too disappointed or excited until about 6 games into the season. As injuries do or don't affect the health and depth of the team. I do believe will make a big difference this year. Quarterback situation might sort itself out. I am not sure who Tayven reminds me of, but Sorsby is in between Ramsey and Chappell. I like Henderson and Lucas a lot in both passing and running game. I believe that we have 5 or 6 receivers who will contribute over the course of the year.

Bottom line I am still waiting on a poster who say Louisville is going to be kill IU to let me know if they agree to give me the 10 or 17 points in either a beer or gentlemans bet.

Oh well beat Louisville and keep improving Hoosiers.

I didn’t understand your point about the 10 or 17 points?

Is that a spread or some kind of margin of victory?

I like to think I’m as positive an IU guy as there is. It just didn’t feel right. Hope I’m wrong.
I went to Friday's game feeling like it was pretty much the equivalent of last season's Idaho game. I guess the biggest difference between this year and last is that I left that Idaho game knowing IU wasn't going to be a competitive B1G team. At least this season, after two games, there's still reason to be hopeful that there will be enough improvement in the coming weeks to win a few conference games.

I am concerned about your comment that the stadium had no energy. I think assembly hall has shown us how much crowd energy can help players.
So how do we fix this? It has to come from the students.
You generate energy when you play (and regularly beat) teams with a pulse. I don't think there is anyone in that stadium who really thought Indiana St. had a chance on Friday night.

To go with your analogy, Assembly Hall's atmosphere against teams above 200 RPI in early December tends to be different than against conference foes in January...

Dexter Williams completed a whopping 34% of his passes. He was another in a series of quarterbacks that were thrown to the wolves. I think the jury is still out regarding the primary quarterback and that's not necessarily A bad thing
We wouldn't have beat MSU without Dexter. His completion percentage would rise with more attempts and work as the #1 QB.

Williams and Jackson can run a similar offense. Having several QB options opens up one of my dreams to have an athletic QBs in a game to open up opportunities and make the defense question are they a receiver, runner, passer, or decoy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT