ADVERTISEMENT

ISB Full Show: Anthony Leal, Jake Weingarten

It was a great Monday on the show as owner of recruiting site StockRisers Jake Weingarten, and Indiana 2020 signee and Mr. Basketball winner Anthony Leal were on.
Leal became the third straight Indiana signee to win the Indiana Mr. Basketball award, the first time the Indiana program has brought in three straight winners. For Leal, it was a great honor.

"Yes very much so. It’s incredible to know that I am included in that list of names... I was just really grateful and it didn’t hit me until it was made public. It became real and how much love everyone showed me was so special. It gives me another goal to shoot for as Romeo [Langford] and Trayce [Jackson-Davis] have had great success so far.”

It has been well talked about the relationship that Leal has with former Indiana guard and Indiana Mr. Basketball Jordan Hulls.

"I've looked up to him [Jordan Hulls] ever since he played at [Bloomington] South and it’s a great relationship we have where we can talk about more than just basketball.”

Leal said that he has constantly been recruiting Trey Kaufman, even when Bloomington South played Silver Creek during the season.

"Yeah of course. Whenever we played Silver Creek I would talk to Trey [Kaufman]... He texted me after I won the award and congratulated me and I told him ‘and you’re going to make it number 4’ next year."

He mentioned that him, Trey Galloway and Jordan Geronimo have a group chat and stay in contact frequently. Said all three can't wait to get moved in and on the floor together.

As for the first time Leal steps on the Assembly Hall floor with an Indiana jersey on, he said his nerves will be high.

"I'm kinda nervous for the first time I go out there. I hope I don’t embarrass myself. It’s been a dream of mine growing up so I don’t know how I will react the first time."

Jake Weingarten has stayed busy during the quarantine with a lot of recruiting news on the daily. One of the biggest recruiting topics over the past few weeks has been if Indiana 2021 commit Khristian Lander will reclassify to 2020.

"As far as Lander goes and reclassifying, I think it will happen and whenever it can happen. His real reason to not reclassify was to play in Peach Jam this summer with the Indy Heat. With that being cancelled, that may move things up."

He noted that the EYBL has tried to come up with some July and August season format. To this point, nothing is official or even in deep discussions but the idea is being talked about.

For 2020, the only other option that Indiana was looking at was San Francisco grad transfer Charles Minlend. He committed to Louisville on Sunday night, however.

“Louisville wasn’t on his list and it was a shocker. As far as Indiana goes, it was more him having Indiana on his list.."

Weingarten said that he thinks Kaufman's recruitment will come down to Indiana and Purdue.

As always, you can listen to the show in its entirety in the tweet below.

It was a great Monday on the show as owner of recruiting site StockRisers Jake Weingarten, and Indiana 2020 signee and Mr. Basketball winner Anthony Leal were on.
Leal became the third straight Indiana signee to win the Indiana Mr. Basketball award, the first time the Indiana program has brought in three straight winners. For Leal, it was a great honor.

"Yes very much so. It’s incredible to know that I am included in that list of names... I was just really grateful and it didn’t hit me until it was made public. It became real and how much love everyone showed me was so special. It gives me another goal to shoot for as Romeo [Langford] and Trayce [Jackson-Davis] have had great success so far.”

It has been well talked about the relationship that Leal has with former Indiana guard and Indiana Mr. Basketball Jordan Hulls.

"I've looked up to him [Jordan Hulls] ever since he played at [Bloomington] South and it’s a great relationship we have where we can talk about more than just basketball.”

Leal said that he has constantly been recruiting Trey Kaufman, even when Bloomington South played Silver Creek during the season.

"Yeah of course. Whenever we played Silver Creek I would talk to Trey [Kaufman]... He texted me after I won the award and congratulated me and I told him ‘and you’re going to make it number 4’ next year."

He mentioned that him, Trey Galloway and Jordan Geronimo have a group chat and stay in contact frequently. Said all three can't wait to get moved in and on the floor together.

As for the first time Leal steps on the Assembly Hall floor with an Indiana jersey on, he said his nerves will be high.

"I'm kinda nervous for the first time I go out there. I hope I don’t embarrass myself. It’s been a dream of mine growing up so I don’t know how I will react the first time."

Jake Weingarten has stayed busy during the quarantine with a lot of recruiting news on the daily. One of the biggest recruiting topics over the past few weeks has been if Indiana 2021 commit Khristian Lander will reclassify to 2020.

"As far as Lander goes and reclassifying, I think it will happen and whenever it can happen. His real reason to not reclassify was to play in Peach Jam this summer with the Indy Heat. With that being cancelled, that may move things up."

He noted that the EYBL has tried to come up with some July and August season format. To this point, nothing is official or even in deep discussions but the idea is being talked about.

For 2020, the only other option that Indiana was looking at was San Francisco grad transfer Charles Minlend. He committed to Louisville on Sunday night, however.

“Louisville wasn’t on his list and it was a shocker. As far as Indiana goes, it was more him having Indiana on his list.."

Weingarten said that he thinks Kaufman's recruitment will come down to Indiana and Purdue.

As always, you can listen to the show in its entirety in the tweet below.

It's always a good sign when IU signees try to recruit other players.

If Purdue gets Furst and Kaufman, that would be very bad.
They won't play together, remember? Oh, right, that was only when IU still had a shot at landing Furst. Now it's Lander, and I saw on another site Duncomb, that he won't play with. Never mind, carry on. Yes, that would be bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT