ADVERTISEMENT

New IU Committ: The 2007 American Idol Winner

DCGeneral

Hall of Famer
Jul 5, 2001
I don't listen to ISB that often, but this is the 2nd time Jim Coyle has referred to Payton Sparks as "Jordin Sparks", and nobody ever calls him on it. I don't listen to his show that often, but sometimes the guest commentary is good.

Keep in mind Coyle also said he ran the 40 yard dash in 4.5 seconds when he was a little younger.

• Haha
Reactions: kkott and ulrey
I don't listen to ISB that often, but this is the 2nd time Jim Coyle has referred to Payton Sparks as "Jordin Sparks", and nobody ever calls him on it. I don't listen to his show that often, but sometimes the guest commentary is good.

Keep in mind Coyle also said he ran the 40 yard dash in 4.5 seconds when he was a little younger.

Are you saying he didn't? I actually have no idea of the athletic ability of Jim Coyle. I do appreciate his love for IU.

Is this the show late this week where he said he didn't know how many players were in the portal but was sure it was far less than 1000?

But there's 1200+ in the portal?

In this show that was posted Jim is at the meat market in Bloomington. He does his show from there at different times. I am not sure why he chose this venue. A few months ago he was in there and Miller Kopp came in to buy some steak.
BB’s Market. Best biscuits and gravy I’ve ever had and I would’ve never known about it if he didn’t do the show from there on Fridays.

Are you saying he didn't? I actually have no idea of the athletic ability of Jim Coyle. I do appreciate his love for IU.

Do you seriously think it's possible he ran a 4.5. Do you have any idea how fast that is?

The fastest 40 times in the NFL combine are in the 4.2s. Do you really think Jim Coyle had only been three 10ths of a second slower than those guys?

Think about that.

Last edited:
Do you seriously think it's possible he ran a 4.5. Do you have any idea how fast that is?

The fastest 40 times in the NFL combine are in the 4.2s. Do you really think Jim Coyle had only theee 10ths of a second slower than those guys?

Think about that.
I ran a 5.9 once. was pumped.

Reactions: TomEric4756

The fastest 40 times in the NFL combine are in the 4.2s. Do you really think Jim Coyle had only theee 10ths of a second slower than those guys?

Think about that.
It was undoubtedly self-timed, which in that being the case I have as well.

To give props to Jim Coyle he is passionate and when there is actually something to talk about he can be fun to listen to. But if a topic is not put on a plate in front of him he'll start asking his minions about what their favorite root beer is.

I ran a 5.9 once. was pumped.
In 1964 I won my grade school’s Hop, Skip, and Jump contest during their annual track meet. Through the years I’ve slowly had to come to grips with the realization my personal feat meant virtually nothing. I imagine your 5.9 clocking (whether real or imagined) has, likewise, encountered a lackluster fate in time, especially if “wind assisted”.

• Love
Reactions: Cavanagh
In 1964 I won my grade school’s Hop, Skip, and Jump contest during their annual track meet. Through the years I’ve slowly had to come to grips with the realization my personal feat meant virtually nothing. I imagine your 5.9 clocking (whether real or imagined) has, likewise, encountered a lackluster fate in time, especially if “wind assisted”.
I remember winning the school spelling bee in the 4th grade... Dominant performance

Can they add Sparky to the 2023 commitment list? Why should it just be High School recruits in the current transfer portal world of NCAA?

I ran a 4.5 once in a dream. Woke up and couldn’t walk for a week
I wish I had kept track of my times. I never ran the 40, but I did run the 110, 220, 440 and then the 100, 200 and 400 when we converted to meters. I held the school record in the 200 and 400 for a while because they were new distances. I wasn't as good in the 100 because I had long legs and never got a great start out of the blocks. I would catch back up near the line but was never the #1 100 sprinter. My 40 time would likely not be as impressive as others. I did better running with pads on in grass than the hard asphalt track we ran on.

I wish I had kept track of my times. I never ran the 40, but I did run the 110, 220, 440 and then the 100, 200 and 400 when we converted to meters. I held the school record in the 200 and 400 for a while because they were new distances. I wasn't as good in the 100 because I had long legs and never got a great start out of the blocks. I would catch back up near the line but was never the #1 100 sprinter. My 40 time would likely not be as impressive as others. I did better running with pads on in grass than the hard asphalt track we ran on.
I never ran any of it because I was not in track. But I will say that after corning cars during Halloween and having to run away I was pretty fast.

Reactions: 82IU
I never ran any of it because I was not in track. But I will say that after corning cars during Halloween and having to run away I was pretty fast.
You are from Washington I believe. I remember running on your track when it was the only cinder track left. It was a cinder track in junior high and that track was the highlight of my 8th grade track season. I got boxed in and couldn't pass anyone in the 400 (probably 440 yard). I kept waiting for an opening, but everyone was running in a pack at a slow pace. In the last 100 yards I decided I would have to drop back to last to get outside of everyone. I dropped back took a run out of he turn and passed everyone for the win.

I was especially happy because it was the only meet my dad brought his super 8 movie camera. Our projector broke and was never replaced. I didn't watch the film until I was in my 30s when I bought a used projector to put my parents movies on VHS. I was all excited when I started watching the race until as I made my move, dad took his eye off the view finder and missed the finish. My best football game ever at Tell City where I scored a TD, recovered a fumble, an onside kick and made a TD saving tackle was equally as disappointing.

Reactions: VanPastorMan
You are from Washington I believe. I remember running on your track when it was the only cinder track left. It was a cinder track in junior high and that track was the highlight of my 8th grade track season. I got boxed in and couldn't pass anyone in the 400 (probably 440 yard). I kept waiting for an opening, but everyone was running in a pack at a slow pace. In the last 100 yards I decided I would have to drop back to last to get outside of everyone. I dropped back took a run out of he turn and passed everyone for the win.

I was especially happy because it was the only meet my dad brought his super 8 movie camera. Our projector broke and was never replaced. I didn't watch the film until I was in my 30s when I bought a used projector to put my parents movies on VHS. I was all excited when I started watching the race until as I made my move, dad took his eye off the view finder and missed the finish. My best football game ever at Tell City where I scored a TD, recovered a fumble, an onside kick and made a TD saving tackle was equally as disappointing.
You were an athlete Sir. Thanks for sharing this memory. I am sure you forgave your Dad. lol

how convenient that your dad "took his eye off the view finder" as you were passing everyone for the win.... LOL... sorry, couldn't help it

how convenient that your dad "took his eye off the view finder" as you were passing everyone for the win.... LOL... sorry, couldn't help it
His dad probably got just as excited as the spectators and instinctively dropped his guard, wanting to see the stunning, come from behind move for himself. If his son had remained boxed in within pack, he would have kept filming until the bitter end.

Think about that.
I think there are damn few 4.2s and often the best times are 4.3s, no? I'm sure he ran a 4.5... with a buddy or family member (or himself) hand-timing!

Coyle seems like a nice guy, and parts of his show are entertaining. I appreciate that he has something every weekday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT