ADVERTISEMENT

Is Yogi the most overrated Hoosier of all time?

toastedbread

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2006
"Greatest" players win something. 0 final fours. We didn't win jack crack during his time here. Winning a bunch of games against patsies and piling up #s doesn't do much for me. Not a clutch player at all.

Reactions: Lucy01
"Greatest" players win something. 0 final fours. We didn't win jack crack during his time here. Winning a bunch of games against patsies and piling up #s doesn't do much for me. Not a clutch player at all.

What? No.

Facepalm-Meme-04.png

Reactions: mike41703

Yes, and by quite a bit.

I'm curious, does it hurt, being this stupid? Is there a level of retardation that actually causes physical pain?

I'm curious, does it hurt, being this stupid? Is there a level of retardation that actually causes physical pain?

Compare his numbers to other Hoosier greats, Yogi's are more in the area of the not so great but good. Generally the argument after saying his numbers are low, would be "he played great defense" or "his intangibles" or "his leadership" and none of those apply and in this case would induce laughter. So what the .... makes him a great?

He's no Zeller, Oladipo, Jeffries, Edwards, Woodson, Graham, Bailey, etc etc etc etc .. I not sure he's in the top 30 since the 70's. He was better than Marshal Strickland and Jordan Hullz so he has that going for him.

Last edited:
Furthermore, it's quite impressive what Yogi was able to accomplish despite the severe handicap he was saddled with on the sidelines.

Yea... I blame Crean as much as anyone. He was a score first PG that needed to become a floor general. Cream makes everyone a combo guard... even our post players.

Compare his numbers to other Hoosier greats, Yogi's are more in the area of the not so great but good. Generally the argument after saying his numbers are low, would be "he played great defense" or "his intangibles" or "his leadership" and none of those apply and in this case would induce laughter. So what the makes him a great?

He's no Zeller, Oladipo, Jeffries, Edwards, Woodson, Graham, Bailey, etc etc etc etc .. I not sure he's in the top 30 since the 70's. He was better than Marshal Strickland and Jordan Hullz so he has that going for him.
You will realize just how good Yogi was when we are turning down another CBI bid next year.

You will realize just how good Yogi was when we are turning down another CBI bid next year.

I hope all the fantasy dwelling morons over on the other boards are right about everyone coming back and being preseason top 10. No freaking way they live up to that without Yogi.

Reactions: C-$
I hope all the fantasy dwelling morons over on the other boards are right about everyone coming back and being preseason top 10. No freaking way they live up to that without Yogi.

Troy, RJ and Blackmon sharing ball handling duty next year ought to be interesting. We will average more turnovers than assists.

Reactions: Lucy01 and C-$

AJ Guyton - but at least he had clutch player going for him.

Compare his numbers to other Hoosier greats, Yogi's are more in the area of the not so great but good. Generally the argument after saying his numbers are low, would be "he played great defense" or "his intangibles" or "his leadership" and none of those apply and in this case would induce laughter. So what the .... makes him a great?

People have a hard time being objective when they "fall in love" with certain players, people, etc. Not at all surprised by the emotional panty wad answers. Contrarians are usually right going against the sheep.

Troy, RJ and Blackmon sharing ball handling duty next year ought to be interesting. We will average more turnovers than assists.

I don't think Troy will come back. Plus, it's time to groom Morgan for that role. Niego should get ample time there as well.

Good yea. Great no. And, that also happened after losing Coverdale, but he wasn't a great either and has as much to do with the player replacing him as the player leaving. You may not want to agree with toast's whole premise or the reasoning, but Yogi is currently, by many of our fans overrated, and vastly, as far as his place among IU greats.

I don't think Troy will come back. Plus, it's time to groom Morgan for that role. Niego should get ample time there as well.
Troy won't get drafted by an NBA team, he got on the radar by posting a 27 PER last year. He dropped off of it as it plummeted 5 points as his role increased. Role increase + PER drop = no draft* by NBA team. Need a 25+ as an upperclassman. He has a 22. Maybe Argentina or one of the other non euro leagues at best ..

*unless they draft him on some unseen potential, like his brain will grow or something.

Good yea. Great no. And, that also happened after losing Coverdale, but he wasn't a great either and has as much to do with the player replacing him as the player leaving. You may not want to agree with toast's whole premise or the reasoning, but Yogi is currently, by many of our fans overrated, and vastly, as far as his place among IU greats.
First of all, if you had watched this year, you'd have seen better D and solid leadership from Yogi. He developed tremendously, and is probably the only reason Crean has a job tomorrow morning.

Second, I loved those Coverdale teams but they were honestly never that good. Take away 2002, which was caused almost entirely by lucky breaks, and the late Knight/early Davis resume looks just as bad as Crean's.

To go a step further and ruffle a few feathers, it's pretty obvious to anyone that has spent a smidgeon of time strength training that Yogell is roided out beyond belief.

Troy won't get drafted by an NBA team, he got on the radar by posting a 27 PER last year. He dropped off of it as it plummeted 5 points as his role increased. Role increase + PER drop = no draft* by NBA team. Need a 25+ as an upperclassman. He has a 22. Maybe Argentina or one of the other non euro leagues at best ..

*unless they draft him on some unseen potential, like his brain will grow or something.
Even if he doesn't get drafted, I'd be shocked we see Troy again. He's graduating. His fiancée is graduating. He probably knows another year here will do very little for him. Worst case scenario he can get paid to live in Paris and play ball and try to get better.

Reactions: C-$

I would hope those backup PG minutes would go to Newkirk instead of Niego (Newkirk's first 2 seasons at Pitt weren't great, but with him in at least the opposing team won't be 110% sure we're playing them 4 on 5 offensively). And if Troy leaves, I'm not sure who the new Point Forward will be - Morgan or OG. Honestly, with them both playing in proper position this season, we didn't get a good feel for who has worse decision-making skills and a loser handle. So that may be an open audition for who gets misused showcased going forward.

First of all, if you had watched this year, you'd have seen better D and solid leadership from Yogi. He developed tremendously, and is probably the only reason Crean has a job tomorrow morning.

Second, I loved those Coverdale teams but they were honestly never that good. Take away 2002, which was caused almost entirely by lucky breaks, and the late Knight/early Davis resume looks just as bad as Crean's.
Improved? Of course it improved, it couldn't get worse than non existent.

I'm really not arguing but trying to add a different unbiased perspective based on stats. Yogi's aren't weak, but they are average for a PG on a top 40 team in a number one role. Actually, they're 0.04 below average. So if he has average stats, (for his role - which was #1) had to improve leadership (his senior year, and he plays PG!), isn't known as a defensive stopper, and didn't put many trophies in the trophy case. What is making him a Hoosier Great? Did I miss something in those 30+ games I refused to watch? Was he Jordanesque in intangibles because he didn't put up amazing numbers.

I watched 3.5 games. Please don't use that against me - it's a weak argument. I may be super perceptive and 3.5 games is more than enough to judge any player. I'm not saying he sucks. I'm just saying he's not in that top 2% where greatness begins, in anything. And, doesn't have the intangible or defensive characteristics to use as an argument.

I can easily name 20 players who did have traits in that top two % where greatness starts. I may be be able to name 40, though that will be tougher. If he doesn't have the numbers, then it's on to intangibles, and Yogi Ferrell and intangibles go together like C-$ and satisfied women.

Overrated is a very subjective term, but from what I've seen from a majority of our fans, Yogi Ferrell certainly is, especially in their eyes.

Even if he doesn't get drafted, I'd be shocked we see Troy again. He's graduating. His fiancée is graduating. He probably knows another year here will do very little for him. Worst case scenario he can get paid to live in Paris and play ball and try to get better.
Euros won't draft him either.

I'm really not arguing but trying to add a different unbiased perspective based on stats. Yogi's aren't weak, but they are average for a PG on a top 40 team in a number one role. Actually, they're 0.04 below average. So if he has average stats, (for his role - which was #1) had to improve leadership (his senior year, and he plays PG!), isn't known as a defensive stopper, and didn't put many trophies in the trophy case. What is making him a Hoosier Great? Did I miss something in those 30+ games I refused to watch? Was he Jordanesque in intangibles because he didn't put up amazing numbers.

I watched 3.5 games. Please don't use that against me - it's a weak argument. I may be super perceptive and 3.5 games is more than enough to judge any player. I'm not saying he sucks. I'm just saying he's not in that top 2% where greatness begins, in anything. And, doesn't have the intangible or defensive characteristics to use as an argument.

I can easily name 20 players who did have traits in that top two % where greatness starts. I may be be able to name 40, though that will be tougher. If he doesn't have the numbers, then it's on to intangibles, and Yogi Ferrell and intangibles go together like C-$ and satisfied women.

Overrated is a very subjective term, but from what I've seen from a majority of our fans, Yogi Ferrell certainly is, especially in their eyes.
He may be overrated. Almost all favorite players are probably overrated. But the most overrated of all time? That's a ridiculous statement, and if you're seriously going to sit here and go over numbers and try to be objective, then you damn well know it.

Probably not the most overrated because he got to two sweet 16s and won a conference title and shared another. Many players can only dream of that team success, plus individually he scored a ton and he is the all time assist King.

He was a very good player here. Probably a top 15 player that's ever played at IU. The problem was fans wanted him to be more than he was. They wanted him to be an Alford or a Thomas or a Chaney type that carried and led teams to glory. Yogi is a stat stuffer. He represented IU very well. But he's not the leader of some of the great ones and he didn't have the cast or the coach behind him to really put a team into the FF 4.

He may be overrated. Almost all favorite players are probably overrated. But the most overrated of all time? That's a ridiculous statement, and if you're seriously going to sit here and go over numbers and try to be objective, then you damn well know it.
Yea, that's toasted's statement not mine. Its hyperbolas obviously. I'm just saying he is overrated by our fans and the numbers prove it.

Who or what is more overrated though? Oladipo's defense? Great individual defender, poor team defender.

Dakich? Poor individual defender, great team defender, but seen by IU fans as a great defender for stopping Jordan.

????

Probably a top 15 player that's ever played at IU
DUMB!

42. Dane Fife

41. Ken Gunning

40. Dean Garrett

39. Joby Wright

38. Lou Watson

37. Ernie Andres

36. Bobby Wilkerson

35. Eric Anderson

34. Branch McCracken

33. Cody Zeller

32. Kirk Haston

31. D.J. White

30. Tom Bolyard

29. Bill Garrett

28. A.J. Guyton

27. Greg Graham

26. Ray Tolbert

24 (tie) Dick Van Arsdale, Tom Van Arsdale

23. Steve Downing

22. Eric Gordon

21. Ted Kitchel

20. Steve Green

19. Brian Evans

18. Jared Jeffries

17. Jay Edwards

16. Alan Henderson

15. Damon Bailey

14. Bobby 'Slick' Leonard

13. Randy Wittman

12. Jimmy Rayl

11. Kent Benson

10. Archie Dees

9. Quinn Buckner

8. Mike Woodson

7. Don Schlundt

6. Walt Bellamy

5. Steve Alford

4. George McGinnis

3. Calbert Cheaney

2. Isiah Thomas

1. Scott May

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
DUMB!

42. Dane Fife

41. Ken Gunning

40. Dean Garrett

39. Joby Wright

38. Lou Watson

37. Ernie Andres

36. Bobby Wilkerson

35. Eric Anderson

34. Branch McCracken

33. Cody Zeller

32. Kirk Haston

31. D.J. White

30. Tom Bolyard

29. Bill Garrett

28. A.J. Guyton

27. Greg Graham

26. Ray Tolbert

24 (tie) Dick Van Arsdale, Tom Van Arsdale

23. Steve Downing

22. Eric Gordon

21. Ted Kitchel

20. Steve Green

19. Brian Evans

18. Jared Jeffries

17. Jay Edwards

16. Alan Henderson

15. Damon Bailey

14. Bobby 'Slick' Leonard

13. Randy Wittman

12. Jimmy Rayl

11. Kent Benson

10. Archie Dees

9. Quinn Buckner

8. Mike Woodson

7. Don Schlundt

6. Walt Bellamy

5. Steve Alford

4. George McGinnis

3. Calbert Cheaney

2. Isiah Thomas

1. Scott May
Just to highlight the stupidity of this thread, your #8 player accomplished even less winning than Yogi did. (Actually, so did #4 and #7, but that was in the pre-at-large era.)

These arguments are always dumb anyway. How are you supposed to compared Branch McCracken to Jared Jefferies? They played two different sports in all reality.

Reactions: C-$ and Warison
Put all the players after the Cheaney class, and Yogi's a top 3 or 4 player ... in the last 23 yrs.

Just to highlight the stupidity of this thread, your #8 player accomplished even less winning than Yogi did. (Actually, so did #4 and #7, but that was in the pre-at-large era.)

These arguments are always dumb anyway. How are you supposed to compared Branch McCracken to Jared Jefferies? They played two different sports in all reality.
Mac said top 15. Go ahead and remove all four. Its fine. Still not top 30 but whatever.

Mac said top 15. Go ahead and remove all four. Its fine. Still not top 30 but whatever.
I'm not arguing mac's point. I was just taking an extra opportunity to remind everyone how dumb toasted is and add in the point that comparing players from two different eras is impossible. Truth is, you build an all-star team from our best players in the 50s and 60s and they probably have a hard time beating this year's team. That's the nature of sports. People get stronger, faster, taller. Athletes can really only be compared to other players in their own era.

Are you that stupid?....really....did you suffer a stroke?

How high are you right now?

Reactions: reabhnt and Warison
I'm not arguing mac's point. I was just taking an extra opportunity to remind everyone how dumb toasted is and add in the point that comparing players from two different eras is impossible. Truth is, you build an all-star team from our best players in the 50s and 60s and they probably have a hard time beating this year's team. That's the nature of sports. People get stronger, faster, taller. Athletes can really only be compared to other players in their own era.
Relative to competition. Yes players improved but the players they play against also improved. And i know youre not arguing macs point that would be stupid. That list was for his education not yours.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT