ADVERTISEMENT

Is MAGA a Cult?

Serious question. MAGA morphed from a campaign slogan to a political movement. But unlike movements such as the Tea Party, the movement is closely tied to a single leader.

This is not Ronald Reagan and trick down economics. The depth and breath of MAGA has spread to become a following with tremendous loyalty, often fanatical.

The definition of a cult from one dictionary:
an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers
This board is a really bad place to be asking that question it is all college educated and probably many advanced degrees. That is a massive biden voting block you wont get real answers just trump is a cult, etc. Go out in the rurals and ask people. I have a degree and i support trump and no i am not in a cult. The loyalty comes because the gop has not produced anyone better to vote imo. Thats my opinion though i am sure you would disagree but its my vote period.

Reactions: Indianaftw
No less a cult. What’s more I’m not sure MAGA won’t survive post trump. There’s literature that it was festering long before trump. He just championed it
I
1. Woke is a term created by African Americans to address the injustices toward that community, and now it has broadened to encompage injustices for other communities/causes. But where it is fairly easy to identify if one supports MAGA, it's much harder to define and/or identify "woke";

2. MAGA has a leader whereas "woke" does not. I asked about whether a MAGA is a cult. The lack of a leader with woke kind of ruins your "opposite sides of a coin" assestion; and

3. You have no idea if I "like" woke. I don't really identify with "woke", chiefly because I don't know what it exactly means.
I am pretty sure woke was created by white liberals not blacks. I know blacks they think it is all total bs yet you see all the woke signs in white liberals yards at least where i live you do. The more money they have the more woke the white wokester is. It is a joke virtue signal but I see it daily. 100 percent lilly white neighborhood with all the wokester signs.

His point was around a leader? Who is our leader? If nominated, I’d feel obliged to serve. And I’ll be selling blue hats with WOKE on them. Or maybe ZEKE?
“Our”? There you go. You’re part of a cult.

Reactions: DANC
I

I am pretty sure woke was created by white liberals not blacks. I know blacks they think it is all total bs yet you see all the woke signs in white liberals yards at least where i live you do. The more money they have the more woke the white wokester is. It is a joke virtue signal but I see it daily. 100 percent lilly white neighborhood with all the wokester signs.
That's completely false. Woke is a term created by African-Americans in the early 20th century. Not surprising you got it wrong.

“Our”? There you go. You’re part of a cult.
You really need to read more or post less. There is definite examples of cultism concerning some Trump followers... making up bullshit claims doesn't change that. This doesn't mean all Trump voters are cultists, most aren't but there is a loud minority that are. Same with Nazis ..

I get it you're embarrassed by the criminals, rapists, child molesters, nazis, he-man woman haters, grifters, incompetents, religious freaks, conspiracy whack jobs, liars, and frauds that are in control of your party but creating a both sides fantasy isn't going to work ...

Read more ... knowledge will set you free.

Last edited:
You really need to read more or post less. There is definite examples of cultism concerning some Trump followers... making up bullshit claims doesn't change that. This doesn't mean all Trump voters are cultists, most aren't but there is a loud minority that are. Same with Nazis ..

I get it you're embarrassed by the criminals, rapists, child molesters, nazis, he-man woman haters, grifters, incompetents, religious freaks, conspiracy whack jobs, liars, and frauds that are in control of your party but creating a both sides fantasy isn't going to work ...

Have you ever been outside of Ft. Wayne? Ever?

What you need to do is find someone who cares what you think.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: TDHoosier and DANC
Many of these comments about BLM, Antifa, et al. are pretty funny. The point of the thread is discussing whether or not MAGA is a cult. It's a movement predicated on fealty to a leader, a movement in which that members exhibit fanatical behavior, usually out of societal norms.

Bringing up BLM and Antifa - which lacks a leader - is just an excuse to deflect and deny. Those are two movements without a leader and/or an organization.

Thoughts and prayers for MAGA.

This board is a really bad place to be asking that question it is all college educated and probably many advanced degrees. That is a massive biden voting block you wont get real answers just trump is a cult, etc. Go out in the rurals and ask people. I have a degree and i support trump and no i am not in a cult. The loyalty comes because the gop has not produced anyone better to vote imo. Thats my opinion though i am sure you would disagree but its my vote period.
Party over country.

I'm still not sure of the need to record as much as people do. I just assume if someone is recording and gesturing at me, they aren't on my side.

Half of the stuff like this on TikTok, much of which I enjoy watching because it's a train wreck, the people doing the recording are just as crazy as who they're recording.
Lighten up Francis, just thought it was funny

the pendulum of the history - she has swing ageen

the silent folk - they start to speak

the shit - she hit the sidewalks

the times - they are the change thing

the wall - the Biden build

the lie - she get up and tossed out front door
It’s all good.

Hilary will be coordinating the deprogramming and the subsequent reprogramming. Happy times. Meadows and streams and flowers and fresh breezes.

Huh? We Evangelicals offer salvation through Jesus. We can't force people or manipulate them to truly believe in Christ for Eternal Life.

VPM, notice you said "offer salvation".

Does this mean there are no guarantees if someone accepts Jesus as his savior but continues to sin ?

Watch any interview with attendees at a Trump rally.

Hard to say it's not a cult.

By my definition of cult, calling those attending a Trump rally and accepting Trump as their leader doesn't mean they are part of a cult.

They do meet the definition as they see the narcissist Trump as their leader. However there are way too many of them to meet the criteria of being a small group.

Im proud to include my self in the MAGA movement. Making America great again or greater than it is has been a common political message for decades. It has only become a pejorative since Trump adopted it. (See my posts about anti-TRUMPISM behaving like a cult). For you, yeah, it’s a racist chant. You are compelled to find something negative about it and that is where you and others settle.

MAGA is about pride in a way not much different than gay pride. Just the thing we are proud of is different. I still get goose bumps when I see movies like Miracle or Pawn Sacrifice . That’s where MAGA resides.

And I’ll challenge your notion about the rights that BLM and the LBGTQ+ community champion. Some might advocate for those rights, but they are overwhelmed the protesters are in it to be disruptive assholes.
Speaking of protestors and how to deal with them, we should let Portugal lead...

Serious question. MAGA morphed from a campaign slogan to a political movement. But unlike movements such as the Tea Party, the movement is closely tied to a single leader.

This is not Ronald Reagan and trick down economics. The depth and breath of MAGA has spread to become a following with tremendous loyalty, often fanatical.

an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers
Based on that definition; if you and your family love each other, you are a member of a cult. If your second most important value in life is love of country you are a member of a cult. If your God is the most important value to you, you are a member of a cult.

The definition is too broad to have any meaning.

IMHO

Reactions: mohoosier

let me see...an instance of great veneration. Hmmm...

ven·er·a·tion
/ˌvenəˈrāSHən/
noun
  1. great respect; reverence.
of a person, ideal, or thing. Hmmm...

Indiana Basketball is a thing

especially as manifested by a body of admirers. Hmmm...

Hoosier fans are a body of admirers.

Holy Shit all of us on here are part of a cult!!!!

Hoosier fans are a body of admirers.

Holy Shit all of us on here are part of a cult!!!!
Being blind to all of the flaws of the object of your admiration is an important part of it though. Most of us complain plenty about IU basketball after any bad loss.

Based on that definition; if you and your family love each other, you are a member of a cult. If your second most important value in life is love of country you are a member of a cult. If your God is the most important value to you, you are a member of a cult.

The definition is too broad to have any meaning.

IMHO
Agreed that "cult" is a very broad concept that can be applied to almost anything (for example, some movies are said to have a "cult following").

What's much more specific and easier to identify, though, is the cult of personality. Prior to Trump, that term could not have been ascribed to any US president, at least not during my lifetime. Cults of personality involving government leaders are usually fueled by propaganda, patriotism, rallies and an unwavering devotion to a leader who is viewed as exceptionally heroic and/or divinely appointed. They're common in autocracies and are sometimes seen in failed or failing democracies. Finally, the cultists don't perceive themselves as being in a cult and categorically reject that characterization.

VPM, notice you said "offer salvation".

Does this mean there are no guarantees if someone accepts Jesus as his savior but continues to sin ?
Ultimately it is Jesus who offers Salvation to anyone who will receive it. He said in Revelation 22:16 I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star.”17 The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let the one who hears say, “Come!” Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life.
No Christian who receives the offer of salvation and let me be clear on what the offer entails ceases from all sin. To receive the offer of salvation is first recognizing your sin condemns you before a Holy God so you are lost and without any way of saving yourself. Second, you come to understand exactly why Jesus had to die on the Cross. He paid the sin debt that was yours, was mine. The fact that Christ could pay an eternal sin debt of just one person let alone the sins of the entire world points to His Deity. Jesus had to be both God and Man to accomplish salvation. Only God Himself could pay an eternal sin debt by His own suffering. Only a perfect human being who never sinned could also have the sins of all people be placed on Him. The Old Testament passover lamb had to be a lamb without blemish which was pointing to the one who would come to accomplish the possibility of salvation. Third, we have to turn away from unbelief and believe in Jesus ourselves. We place our saving faith in what Jesus did and rely upon His power to save us from our sins. Now after we have come to Christ the Holy Spirit enters our lives and works on us to help us not to sin. We stay close to the one who died for us. I remember when I was a kid my Dad did something wrong and apologized to someone. Then I saw him lift his eyes and said to the Father above, "I am sorry". Dad was just living out 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.

Last edited:
Reactions: stollcpa and hoot1
Agreed that "cult" is a very broad concept that can be applied to almost anything (for example, some movies are said to have a "cult following").

What's much more specific and easier to identify, though, is the cult of personality. Prior to Trump, that term could not have been ascribed to any US president, at least not during my lifetime. Cults of personality involving government leaders are usually fueled by propaganda, patriotism, rallies and an unwavering devotion to a leader who is viewed as exceptionally heroic and/or divinely appointed. They're common in autocracies and are sometimes seen in failed or failing democracies. Finally, the cultists don't perceive themselves as being in a cult and categorically reject that characterization.

For a deeper understanding on this, one might delve into the Rush Limbaugh Ditto Head phenomenon. This concept was argued many times over the years of his success and he always pushed back on the robot, cultist claim with - “these millions were already out there when I arrived, I just gave them a voice”.

Trump, in the same way, simply stood up and voiced many of the issues that 100 million Americans felt unheard of by both parties. It’s that simple. It’s never been an allegiance to a man or woman, the allegiance is held in ideals, something the Left seems to disregard and/or misunderstand when it comes to Conservatives, although they hold the same allegiance to their own set.

As much as the Left adheres to pro-choice, the Conservative believes in life as much or more.

As much as the Left hates borders, the Conservative believes they are of utmost importance.

As much as the Left believes that Gov is the answer, the Conservative wants limited Gov even more, and that it is the individual that is primary in the betterment of society.

As much as the Left despises America and the Flag, the Conservative believes in the American ideal and that it is exceptional in its offerings.

As much as the Left believes in defunding and berating the police, the Conservative wants law and order.

As much as the Left thinks there are an infinite amount of sexual identities, the Conservative believes there has always been two and will always be two.

As much as the Left lives in fear, the Conservative lives by faith, in themselves and someone higher that’s taking care of the things we can’t.

As much as the Left believes in interpreting the Constitution, the Conservative believes we should obey it.
As much as the Left believes America should surrender its autonomy to the Global agenda, the Conservative believes America should remain a leader and influencer on the global stage.
The Left has become warmongers, the Conservative only wants war if our sovereignty is threatened.
These go on forever, but hopefully this provides the gist.

Trump has many faults, as do you and I, and all who serve in public office, for that matter. But, we still vote for these same people. You choose yours, I choose mine, based on what? Their faults? No, I choose based on what they believe and what I believe they will do when they serve. Hopefully, you do the same.

The above always has to be restated to the Left because they never grasp the thought of steadfast principle, so I apologize in advance.

For a deeper understanding on this, one might delve into the Rush Limbaugh Ditto Head phenomenon. This concept was argued many times over the years of his success and he always pushed back on the robot, cultist claim with - “these millions were already out there when I arrived, I just gave them a voice”.

Trump, in the same way, simply stood up and voiced many of the issues that 100 million Americans felt unheard of by both parties. It’s that simple. It’s never been an allegiance to a man or woman, the allegiance is held in ideals, something the Left seems to disregard and/or misunderstand when it comes to Conservatives, although they hold the same allegiance to their own set.

As much as the Left adheres to pro-choice, the Conservative believes in life as much or more.

As much as the Left hates borders, the Conservative believes they are of utmost importance.

As much as the Left believes that Gov is the answer, the Conservative wants limited Gov even more, and that it is the individual that is primary in the betterment of society.

As much as the Left despises America and the Flag, the Conservative believes in the American ideal and that it is exceptional in its offerings.

As much as the Left believes in defunding and berating the police, the Conservative wants law and order.

As much as the Left thinks there are an infinite amount of sexual identities, the Conservative believes there has always been two and will always be two.

As much as the Left lives in fear, the Conservative lives by faith, in themselves and someone higher that’s taking care of the things we can’t.

As much as the Left believes in interpreting the Constitution, the Conservative believes we should obey it.
As much as the Left believes America should surrender its autonomy to the Global agenda, the Conservative believes America should remain a leader and influencer on the global stage.
The Left has become warmongers, the Conservative only wants war if our sovereignty is threatened.

Trump has many faults, as do you and I, and all who serve in public office, for that matter. But, we still vote for these same people. You choose yours, I choose mine, based on what? Their faults? No, I choose based on what they believe and what I believe they will do when they serve. Hopefully, you do the same.

The above always has to be restated to the Left because they never grasp the thought of steadfast principle, so I apologize in advance.

I'm gonna be so happy when we can finally stop telling one side how bad and deranged the other side is as a whole because all it does is divide us.

Mo, believe labeling folks as being only on the Left and Right doesn't tell the whole story.

Would argue on some issues a majority exists which has those from what might be labelled both the Left and Right. Have to admit, however, the trend of late is fewer and fewer cases of this.

In regard to my point, the Pew Research Center upon polling Americans has come up with nine different classifications.

The link above in part has this to say...

The idea that Americans are polarized makes it seem as if there are only two sides in politics — liberal and conservative, Democratic and Republican.

But Americans are far more complicated politically, a new Pew Research Center typology shows in a study that gives a clearer picture of the full spectrum of American political views.

Mo, take the Pew test and see which of the nine groups you belong. Upon taking the test was surprised to be labeled as a Stressed Sideliner.

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
As much as we all hate bullshit posts, mohoosier piles up the crap higher and deeper

200.gif

Reactions: Indianaftw
Mo, believe labeling folks as being only on the Left and Right doesn't tell the whole story.

Would argue on some issues a majority exists which has those from what might be labelled both the Left and Right. Have to admit, however, the trend of late is fewer and fewer cases of this.

In regard to my point, the Pew Research Center upon polling Americans has come up with nine different classifications.

The link above in part has this to say...

The idea that Americans are polarized makes it seem as if there are only two sides in politics — liberal and conservative, Democratic and Republican.

But Americans are far more complicated politically, a new Pew Research Center typology shows in a study that gives a clearer picture of the full spectrum of American political views.

Mo, take the Pew test and see which of the nine groups you belong. Upon taking the test was surprised to be labeled as a Stressed Sideliner.
Again, it's not complicated. You can actually sum someone up on two issues: Abortion and the Death Penalty.

Kill the baby (innocent) and save the criminal (guilty) vs save the baby and kill the criminal. Not difficult at all.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Again, it's not complicated. You can actually sum someone up on two issues: Abortion and the Death Penalty.

Kill the baby (innocent) and save the criminal (guilty) vs save the baby and kill the criminal. Not difficult at all.
I wasn't aware that it was possible to simplify a binary world view, but you are certainly making a go of it.
Simple outlooks for simple minds.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT