ADVERTISEMENT

Is Louis CK dead to you yet?

iuwclurker

All-American
Jul 6, 2015
Evidently, Louis CK's working up some new material, taking on the students at Parkland after the shooting:

"Testify in front of Congress, these kids, what the f***? What are you doing?" asks the man in the audio clip. "Cause you went to a high school where kids got shot, why does that mean I have to listen to you? Why does that make you interesting? You didn't get shot. You pushed some fat kid in the way and now I gotta listen to you talking?"
I never did like him much -- too angry.

Yep, he was already dead to me. The fact he is trying to make his comeback on this crap shows he hasn’t learned a single thing. And I give a very wide berth to comedians, but he is garbage.

Reactions: iuwclurker
Meh. Comedy is supposed to push boundaries. I have no problem with these jokes, but I do recognize that family members and friends of victims very well might, and they are humans too.

I have more of a problem with Louis' jokes about transgender individuals, blacks and Asians. Not because they were offensive, but because they were hackneyed. As I said, comedy is supposed to push boundaries, but it's supposed to do it in a way that makes people think. A lot of Louis' jokes seem to make fun of people just for being easy targets.

Meh. Comedy is supposed to push boundaries. I have no problem with these jokes, but I do recognize that family members and friends of victims very well might, and they are humans too.

I have more of a problem with Louis' jokes about transgender individuals, blacks and Asians. Not because they were offensive, but because they were hackneyed. As I said, comedy is supposed to push boundaries, but it's supposed to do it in a way that makes people think. A lot of Louis' jokes seem to make fun of people just for being easy targets.
George Carlin did about 2 gazillion different skits. One of them was this:

That's all Louis CK does. He just does different variations on Carlin's skit on anger.

Pushing the boundaries is great and can be hilarious. When a joke makes you feel guilty about laughing but you still laugh, it’s still a good joke. David Cross’ whole act is pretty much built around it. And a lot of times it’s not really stuff that makes you think.

The Parkland joke just isn’t funny. It doesn’t even seem like a joke, just a nasty statement.

Last edited:
Evidently, Louis CK's working up some new material, taking on the students at Parkland after the shooting:

"Testify in front of Congress, these kids, what the f***? What are you doing?" asks the man in the audio clip. "Cause you went to a high school where kids got shot, why does that mean I have to listen to you? Why does that make you interesting? You didn't get shot. You pushed some fat kid in the way and now I gotta listen to you talking?"
I never did like him much -- too angry.

To be fair, is he really wrong about that? I’m not sure if it’s actually funny though (I’d need to hear it).

Tough time to be a comedian. Even a wonderbread comic like Jerry Seinfeld commented a couple of years ago that the PC Culture (define as you wish) was making it hard on stand ups. Everything is offensive to someone.

Next thing you know Bill Burr won’t be able to talk shit about Philly.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
To be fair, is he really wrong about that? I’m not sure if it’s actually funny though (I’d need to hear it).

Tough time to be a comedian. Even a wonderbread comic like Jerry Seinfeld commented a couple of years ago that the PC Culture (define as you wish) was making it hard on stand ups. Everything is offensive to someone.

Next thing you know Bill Burr won’t be able to talk shit about Philly.
Louis CK is a dumb asshole. Plus he's dead wrong on this. There's nothing more significant in our jaded society than young people becoming interested in current affairs, regardless of their particular opinions or their reasons for voicing them. CK is making a political statement by degrading that of the young people. He evidently disrespects women and children. Who'd have thunk it? Who the f**k cares about his opinion? Why doesn't he just stick to comedy? These kids have something far more important to say than he'll ever have to say.

That's my response to you.

Who the f**k cares about his opinion? Why doesn't he just stick to comedy?

That's fine. You obviously have a strong opinion on this and I have no particular desire to defend Louis CK, specifically. But are you going to hold all comics to the sentiment above? Or just those with opinions that you disagree with?

Reactions: hookyIU1990
That's fine. You obviously have a strong opinion on this and I have no particular desire to defend Louis CK, specifically. But are you going to hold all comics to the sentiment above? Or just those with opinions that you disagree with?
I often don't laugh at Dave Chappelle's jokes, even though they're funny to me, because they're also painful to me. That's because he speaks the truth. I find it ironic how white people can laugh at his jokes obliviously and though I've never asked him, I think it pains Chappelle as well, though he of course likes to succeed as a comedian.

But I'm not the one holding CK to that standard, I'm just flipping CK's own standard on him. CK was the one who set the standard, not I. I'm just saying that if he's going to set that standard, he ought to look in the mirror and realize his opinion's about a million times less valuable than young people's. And yes, that of course is my opinion, but it's also backed up with a rational argument (increasing young people involvement is good, they're not condemning him for having a point of view, et cetera). Louis CK seems to be implying his opinion is worth more because he's ___________.

Here's a view that basically states CK's using Trump's MO in all this (pause to puke):

The obtuseness of his actual content aside, I reckon Louis C.K. knows exactly what he's doing. Unless he is profoundly stupid as well as profoundly unpleasant, I think he intends to cause offense, because the action-reaction plays into a convenient narrative. In order to perpetuate a view that he is a misunderstood or maligned genius who has every right to carry on working, he must carry on working, and ride out the criticism as the inevitable result of a world unable to appreciate his offerings. He can continue to pass off formulaic jokes as brave, and any backlash as oversensitivity.​

Last edited:
Louis CK is a dumb asshole. Plus he's dead wrong on this. There's nothing more significant in our jaded society than young people becoming interested in current affairs, regardless of their particular opinions or their reasons for voicing them. CK is making a political statement by degrading that of the young people. He evidently disrespects women and children. Who'd have thunk it? Who the f**k cares about his opinion? Why doesn't he just stick to comedy? These kids have something far more important to say than he'll ever have to say.

That's my response to you.

I think you're forgetting that young people are indeed young people, and young people are generally stupid.

So no. I don't think they should be shaping our policy because they were in the wrong high school at the wrong time.

Being a victim of gun violence doesn't offer you credibility on anything other than being a victim of gun violence. An expert on gun legislation it certainly does not make.

As for CK. I would have to hear the audio

Last edited:
Reactions: IUCrazy2
I'm just saying that if he's going to set that standard, he ought to look in the mirror and realize his opinion's about a million times less valuable than young people's

I guess I'm confused by the equivalency you're creating here with High School kids testifying in front of congress, and Louis CK doing a comedy act. I'm not sure why comparing the legitimacy of opinion between the two is part of the argument.

I get it. You don't like what CK had to say. That's fine. I probably sort of agree with CK, but that's not really the point. It's a comedy act and as such it's supposed to be funny. Seems like maybe it wasn't.

A bit off topic, but with regards to topical or edgy comedy, if it's truly funny then it likely will seem funny even if it skewers some sacred cow of yours. A really funny comedian can make me laugh while stepping on my toes. But if it requires some sort of political or social agreement with the comic to see the humor, then it's probably pretty weak.

Not surprising, CK wacked off in front of women...the guy cant read the room.

I guess I'm confused by the equivalency you're creating here with High School kids testifying in front of congress, and Louis CK doing a comedy act. I'm not sure why comparing the legitimacy of opinion between the two is part of the argument.
I said opinions but I don't really know why they were asked to testify, so probably statements would have been a better word. If you look at CK's text, it's pure idiocy. First, the kids were testifying because they were evidently asked to. Second, CK doesn't need to listen to them, so why does he keep repeating that? CK's fabricating a fiction in order to create humor. That's fine when Chappelle is talking about the bum jacking off on the bus because everyone knows it's fiction but CK is acting like he's telling the truth. Then he uses it to not just gratuitously condemn statements of young people but also insinuate those young people have nothing to say or should STFU because now poor CK has to listen to them. In essence CK is condemning freedom of speech for young people. He should go back to jacking off in public pissoirs.

CK's a liberal version of Donald Trump: any news is good news. Both belong in the trashcan of history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT