ADVERTISEMENT

Is IU really a tournament team

IU is going dancing. Archie is moving the needle on and off the court, and on schedule. IU is going to play in the tournament then enter an offseason when he will bring in likely another top ten recruiting class culminating in a preseason top 25 ranking. I’m excited to see how far this guy can take us.

I'd his coaching style is basically as bipolar as Crean was offense minded! It's the exact opposite, but you what, where not doing as well as Crean usually could put on an offense show at the other end of the spectrum. Why can't we just hire a coach that can coach basketball, game plan, and motivate players to play with effort consistently. Crean is just the O version of Archie. Inflexible, we're doing to do this or that, it's going to work or not. That is not how you should approach any job! If you hired a plumber and they told you, "well I do it this way, it may work or not", would you not call someone to fix your problem

That OK for this, I don't think anyone had expectations we would. What's disturbing to me though, is this gimmick D and inability to make in-game adjustments, plan towards matchups, inconsistent effort. I do not like gimmick basketball. It does work for exactly what is designed to, win the game you're supposed to win and get you to the tourney. It is not for elite teams, and we will just be clinging to "hey, we made the tourney" for years to come. Not enough to fire the coach, and just enough to absolve the AD of responsibility. Exactly what Fred wanted and bought. Only two teams have ever won a title doing this Syracuse and UVA. UVA was lucky, and Syracuse needed extreme talent to do so. It is a consistent recipe, but if you want to be elite you have to have a coach that is willing to in game coach, adapt to personnel, matchups, and not just blindly follow a recipe. Cal, Izzo, K … their teams always have this ability to switch to a different game plan depending on competition or what they're doing in game. We don't have that unless Archie grows up fast.
The defense isn't a gimmick. When his defense is working like it has many times this year including at times during this game and most of the time at Dayton it's effective and beautiful basketball.

I'd his coaching style is basically as bipolar as Crean was offense minded! It's the exact opposite, but you what, where not doing as well as Crean usually could put on an offense show at the other end of the spectrum. Why can't we just hire a coach that can coach basketball, game plan, and motivate players to play with effort consistently. Crean is just the O version of Archie. Inflexible, we're doing to do this or that, it's going to work or not. That is not how you should approach any job! If you hired a plumber and they told you, "well I do it this way, it may work or not", would you not call someone to fix your problem

Reads like an object lesson in why drinking antifreeze and/or sniffing glue isn't a good idea.

That OK for this, I don't think anyone had expectations we would. What's disturbing to me though, is this gimmick D and inability to make in-game adjustments, plan towards matchups, inconsistent effort. I do not like gimmick basketball. It does work for exactly what is designed to, win the game you're supposed to win and get you to the tourney. It is not for elite teams, and we will just be clinging to "hey, we made the tourney" for years to come. Not enough to fire the coach, and just enough to absolve the AD of responsibility. Exactly what Fred wanted and bought. Only two teams have ever won a title doing this Syracuse and UVA. UVA was lucky, and Syracuse needed extreme talent to do so. It is a consistent recipe, but if you want to be elite you have to have a coach that is willing to in game coach, adapt to personnel, matchups, and not just blindly follow a recipe. Cal, Izzo, K … their teams always have this ability to switch to a different game plan depending on competition or what they're doing in game. We don't have that unless Archie grows up fast.

The top defensive team in the country every year runs the same "gimmick" defense. Hopefully IU can get to a point where we master it like Virginia has.

If we had Virginia's success the last 5 years, would you be upset with that? Every tournament run involves some luck to win it all. At some point the ball has to bounce your way.

Y-A-W-N.

Yeah, you guys are really something. You don't know crap about basketball, so you smugly inflate your "expectations" and act like that's a worthwhile comment.

great-expectations-1860.jpg
No kidding.

What is soooo funny is that in one breath you'll have some of them tell you "this is a HORRIBLE roster - Archie has done a pathetic job of putting this team together" . . . . and then they'll bitch about IU getting to the tournament in a year they weren't supposed to go anywhere.

Does Archie need to be better? Sure he does. But some of these people have no clue how basketball teams function or how you are successful.

No kidding.

What is soooo funny is that in one breath you'll have some of them tell you "this is a HORRIBLE roster - Archie has done a pathetic job of putting this team together" . . . . and then they'll bitch about IU getting to the tournament in a year they weren't supposed to go anywhere.

Does Archie need to be better? Sure he does. But some of these people have no clue how basketball teams function or how you are successful.
Some of them are going to be sad about IU going to the NCAA tournament. They want to see IU fail.

Well, you just lost what little credibility you thought you had with that diatribe. Syracuse's "gimmick" defense has won them 959 games and gone to five final fours, three final games, and one title. Virginia, employing the same defense as IU, has won over 30 games five of the last seven years, with three Sweet 16s and last year's title. I think 100% of us not named "go_iu" and "fpeaugh" would take that. Lucky? What, against Purdue in the regional final? What else? Guess IU's '87 title was lucky, too, with that whole Keith whatshisname thing. Better slap the asterisk on that one, for sure.

To the original question, are they a tournament team? I think so but they have little room for error. Another question - are they a good tournament team or one likely to make a run? No, nothing they have done this season says they can make a run. But this is also what makes college basketball so fun to watch.

Think of it like this. If they had won at home over Maryland and/or over Illinois this past weekend, they could be sitting at 20 to 21 wins with a home game against Wisconsin coming up. They would be locks for the NCAA tourney and yet they would be the exact same team we've watched all season.

Those two games, both one point losses, would have been huge wins for this team and changed the outlook of most on here. But again, it's the same team and just as likely to get knocked out in the first weekend as they are now, assuming they make it in.

Regardless of how far they may go, it is important they make the tourney and start to gain back some respectability.

Syracuse plays a 2-3 zone you inbred malcontent.....

IU has not played a single minute of zone in Archie's tenure.... nor will they ever.

You legitimately know nothing about basketball. Please STFU forever.

IU has not played a single minute of zone in Archie's tenure.... nor will they ever.

To be fair, I think his point was that the Virginia and Syracuse defensive strategies are separate examples of "gimmicks" in his mind, not that they are both the same. However, neither are gimmicks in the sense that they're *that* unique, nor are they flukey, flash-in-the-pan approaches, as both schools' track records clearly show.

No kidding.

Who’s bitched about IU getting to the tournament in a year they weren’t supposed to go anywhere? And who stupidly claimed they weren’t supposed to go anywhere? You guys are forever concocting excuses to support your lowered expectations. Maybe you should huddle and pick out your best three, just for the sake of consistency.

Pretty sure you posted after the Illinois game that you were done posting for the season. I was optimistic that you meant what you said.

Well, you just lost what little credibility you thought you had with that diatribe. Syracuse's "gimmick" defense has won them 959 games and gone to five final fours, three final games, and one title. Virginia, employing the same defense as IU, has won over 30 games five of the last seven years, with three Sweet 16s and last year's title. I think 100% of us not named "go_iu" and "fpeaugh" would take that. Lucky? What, against Purdue in the regional final? What else? Guess IU's '87 title was lucky, too, with that whole Keith whatshisname thing. Better slap the asterisk on that one, for sure.
No, I haven't, I never claimed it wasn't effective, or wasn't a recipe for winning games against teams you should beat. What it is, is an antiquated philosophy that teams aren't likely to light you up on 3's. They are, even we would if left unguarded for them. The packline D is designed to force jumpers, stifle drives ,back-cuts, etc. can we agree on that? That is not an effective D against teams that can and are happy to shoot right over it. The strength of our D is out inside players, this D basically plays to the exact weaknesses of our team. Wide open 3's vs. you can choose to try TJD, JB, Race inside, that's our strength on D. What is crazy about that logic at all?

You know, BTW, Syracuse has 1 title. They should have beat us in '87. UVA has 1 title, and Purdue should have closed them out last year. UVA was also in position to win it the year before, and managed to lose to a 16 seed for the first time in NCAA history, because of blind adherence to system and inability to adapt in game. Yeah, Syracuse is a great program, but they're not so crazy. Boeheim's kids know how to go man if that's what the situation calls, same as RMK would go zone if that's what it was going to take. It's in-game coaching we lack, not being shell-shocked if you go into the half and somebody says, we're going to play this half differently. Or even get ahead of things and plan for that before the game Archie has shown no ability to do either

Yeah, apparently, you didn't witness it live, but yeah the 87 championship was luck and coaching! They had us beat, they were way more talented, we won on a lucky shot! Are you kidding, the only thing that kept us in that game was coaching and adaptation to what we we're going to do in-game

Last edited:
No, I haven't, I never claimed it wasn't effective, or wasn't a recipe for winning games against teams you should beat. What it is, is an antiquated philosophy that teams aren't likely to light you up on 3's. They are, even we would if left unguarded for them. The packline D is designed to force jumpers, stifle drives ,back-cuts, etc. can we agree on that? That is not an effective D against teams that can and are happy to shoot right over it. The strength of our D is out inside players, this D basically plays to the exact weaknesses of our team. Wide open 3's vs. you can choose to try TJD, JB, Race inside, that's our strength on D. What is crazy about that logic at all?

Indiana's opponents, in the season,.are.shooting 31.9% from beyond the arc. So there's that.

Pretty sure you posted after the Illinois game that you were done posting for the season. I was optimistic that you meant what you said.

I'm sorry, I've changed my mind. I think if there's more ball to discuss, I will. It seems there may be. I'm sorry, I don't do social media or regard this as that. Would it make you feel better if I sent you a picture of the Cheerios I ate this morning and helpful preparation hints?

Indiana's opponents, in the season,.are.shooting 31.9% from beyond the arc. So there's that.
So you'll admit you don't know shit, are like 13, and throwing me stats. That's not good D, I'm not even going to look it up, but the line is a joke. It would improve the quality of college ball to adopt the pro-line. I'm almost 50, but if I'm trailing on the inbound, left unguarded, I'm going to hit that like free throw. If the college game is going that way, they really need to step it up to the pro-line, that might give you some pause even if your unguarded, but maybe winded.

I never suggested Archie was playing zone, my suggestion was that Archie learn better game planning, in game adjustments, and matchups. Your "nor will they ever" is the EXACT problem I have with his coaching style … inability to adapt to your team, their abilities, your competition, matchups, in-game coaching. So FO

So you'll admit you don't know shit, are like 13, and throwing me stats. That's not good D, I'm not even going to look it up, but the line is a joke. It would improve the quality of college ball to adopt the pro-line. I'm almost 50, but if I'm trailing on the inbound, left unguarded, I'm going to hit that like free throw. If the college game is going that way, they really need to step it up to the pro-line, that might give you some pause even if your unguarded, but maybe winded.
You say this often as if you actually believe it, but I’d bet you $1000 that you’d miss the shot even if only Cavanaugh was standing 3 feet in front of you with his arms up. He’s only about 5’6” or so. I’d bet another $1000 you couldn’t beat any of IU’s guards in a 3 point shooting contest - best of 10.

Reactions: MrBing
The defense isn't a gimmick. When his defense is working like it has many times this year including at times during this game and most of the time at Dayton it's effective and beautiful basketball.
So we have to go back to Dayton days, resuscitate AM's coaching acumen to validate there's hope in the typical D shit show?

The top defensive team in the country every year runs the same "gimmick" defense. Hopefully IU can get to a point where we master it like Virginia has.

If we had Virginia's success the last 5 years, would you be upset with that? Every tournament run involves some luck to win it all. At some point the ball has to bounce your way.
*Teams ...

Cincinnati, UCLA, Louisville and others .. run packline and many others like MSU and Illinois run variations.

It's not a gimmick, gimmicks are uncommon strategies..

Not the most common strategy used.

You say this often as if you actually believe it, but I’d bet you $1000 that you’d miss the shot even if only Cavanaugh was standing 3 feet in front of you with his arms up. He’s only about 5’6” or so. I’d bet another $1000 you couldn’t beat any of IU’s guards in a 3 point shooting contest - best of 10.
Yeah, you'd be wrong on 3-pt contest, that's a joke, but you're probably right gameplay, I'm almost 50, we have to compensate for being winded at the end and such other details.. However, I don't know Cavanaugh, if he could get me the Wat shot opening fast after I'm in tune, it's probably going down

Last edited:
Yeah,, you'd be wrong on 3-pt contest, but you're probably right gameplay. However, I don't know Cavanaugh, if he could get me Wat shot opening after I'm in tune, it's probably going down.

Well, one thing all of us know with 100% certainty about you is that you’re a liar with no integrity so good luck convincing anyone that you can back up your outlandish claims.

Yeah, you'd be wrong on 3-pt contest, but you're probably right gameplay. However, I don't know Cavanaugh, if he could get me Wat shot opening fast after I'm in tune, it's probably going down
I’d seriously like to make the bets, but I don’t think we could arrange either scenario.

Dumb

You're right, stats don't mean squat. Go have another Marlboro. Doubt that.you need any more to drink this afternoon.

In what way isn't it, a zone is a hedge and not as far from 1-1 and maybe easier to go in and out of. It be nice if we had a team that could make those decisions on the fly and on the floor again. Learn some, there's a great article on Khawi Leonard on college about people trying to switch him out when he didn't need it, look it up. He's like can't you cover your guy, don't do that for me? Of course, we're not dealing with that talent, but I just don't like subscribing to a "system" of something that when doesn't work, the guys are basically left with losing or improvisation outside of it. I think this a problem on both ends. I just don't like system teams, give the players the fundamentals, let them play the game, call timeout if you need to put it back on track

You're right, stats don't mean squat. Go have another Marlboro. Doubt that.you need any more to drink this afternoon.
OK brother, I'm a little bit too fancy to smoke MB's these days , you're an anti-smoker I guess? That's fine, I wish I could quit too, but I really hate people shaming their elders over smoking, sometimes to the point where I might be inclined to say "hey, do you really need that fast food, fat ass youngster, take it off my lawn unless your cutting it for me". Sorry, I don't like the moralization that smoking gets these days. I feel just as obligated to increasing health insurance costs from "healthy' fatasses I encounter as to the guy like me that might have 5 smokes a day.

Reactions: IUAndy

How many kids in college are left unguarded and not winded when shooting?

Most shots are contested and in the flow of the game. This isn't a game of horse they're playing. Left alone, most of these kids are hitting 8 of 10 left unguarded at this level on the practice floor.

And The backline is not a gimmick. It's a scheme if anything. That's probably the word you're looking for.

You know, BTW, Syracuse has 1 title. They should have beat us in '87. UVA has 1 title, and Purdue should have closed them out last year. UVA was also in position to win it the year before, and managed to lose to a 16 seed for the first time in NCAA history, because of blind adherence to system and inability to adapt in game. Yeah, Syracuse is a great program, but they're not so crazy. Boeheim's kids know how to go man if that's what the situation calls, same as RMK would go zone if that's what it was going to take. It's in-game coaching we lack, not being shell-shocked if you go into the half and somebody says, we're going to play this half differently. Or even get ahead of things and plan for that before the game Archie has shown no ability to do either

Yeah, apparently, you didn't witness it live, but yeah the 87 championship was luck and coaching! They had us beat, they were way more talented, we won on a lucky shot! Are you kidding, the only thing that kept us in that game was coaching and adaptation to what we we're going to do in-game
I don't know what you're implying by the comment about witnessing '87, but I'm over 50, older than even you. So yeah, I saw it. Remember it well. And they had more talent, but so what? MSU and FSU had more talent than us this season, and somehow that schlep Archie managed to beat them. The Smart shot comment was sarcastic. It was a shot near the end of a close game. IU had more points than Syracuse as a result when the buzzer went off, so IU wins the title. That's not luck. Luck would've been if Hayward's heave at the end against Duke went in. Virginia won their title and deserved it. And, they dominate teams defensively with the exact same scheme Archie is running, without deviating. It's not a gimmick. It works.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
OK brother, I'm a little bit too fancy to smoke MB's these days , you're an anti-smoker I guess? That's fine, I wish I could quit too, but I really hate people shaming their elders over smoking, sometimes to the point where I might be inclined to say "hey, do you really need that fast food, fat ass youngster, take it off my lawn unless your cutting it for me". Sorry, I don't like the moralization that smoking gets these days. I feel just as obligated to increasing health insurance costs from "healthy' fatasses I encounter as to the guy like me that might have 5 smokes a day.

“I wish I could quit..”
You’re weak minded, there’s a shocker...

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
So is Archie the national coach of the year?

You said this was the worst roster in a half century.

You said we'd be worse than last year because we lost Romeo and Juwan.

You also said Georgia would make the tournament because Crean was bringing in some good 'rekroots'.

This has not been a good year for you and your proclamations has it?
You’re getting desperate now. I never said any of that. However you did guarantee a top 5 conference finish this year and we’re in 11th.

You’re getting desperate now. I never said any of that. However you did guarantee a top 5 conference finish this year and we’re in 11th.

it’s true. You did say a lot of dumb shit this year

• this wouldn’t be a tourney team
  • this would be a 15-win team
  • Lander was never going to consider IU
  • recruiting is dead
  • Brunk would not contribute
  • we’d be worse this year than last
  • you have two degrees from IU
  • you have friends

lots of weird, dumb shit

My mistake then. You must have said....

We will be better than last year even though we won't have Romeo and Juwan.

We'll definitely make the tourney.

This roster is actually better than people think.

Yeah Crean got a one and done but it won't be enough to even make the tournament because everyone knows that a one and done is not a guarantee of success.

This team is not a dumpster fire. It isn't close to being one of the worst rosters in the past 50 years.

Recruiting keeps plugging along with a realistic shot at getting the best player in the state four years in a row.

My bad.

I could be wrong - they’ve dropped to 11. That’s odd since they beat UM. Wisconsin may be a must win. I would’ve thought the would’ve held the previous seeding.

I could be wrong - they’ve dropped to 11. That’s odd since they beat UM. Wisconsin may be a must win. I would’ve thought the would’ve held the previous seeding.

Agreed. Lunardi didn't even have us as a bye, we win and we drop from safely in to last four in. Very odd.

Lunardi is a idiot.

He was on Twitter saying that unless you have a .500 record in your conference, you shouldn't make the tournament. On the surface, sure, that's all fine and dandy. But the ACC isn't on the same level as the Big 10. The Pac 12 isn't on the same level as the Big 10. Indiana would have a winning conference record if we were in those conferences, so why should we be penalized for being in a harder conference?

Makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

I agree with your concept, but saying UVA and IU employ the same defense, to me is laughable. I know they both call it "Packline" but the way they play and the commitment they show is night and day to how our D looks. I hope we get there at some point, but they don't look remotely the same to this untrained eye.

I agree with your concept, but saying UVA and IU employ the same defense, to me is laughable. I know they both call it "Packline" but the way they play and the commitment they show is night and day to how our D looks. I hope we get there at some point, but they don't look remotely the same to this untrained eye.
Then we're agreeing. Whether they execute their defense better than IU isn't the point. The point I debated with go_iu is over this being a gimmick strategy; the likes of which aren't effective to build consistently winning programs around as an identity. UVA is proof that it isn't a gimmick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT