ADVERTISEMENT

Is Fred Glass a Competent AD?

HoosierJimbo89

All-American
Nov 27, 2010
Posters on here have been asking that question a lot, and it is an very important, relevant question to ask as an IU fan. The definitive answer to this question will be answered very soon, and two things need to occur for a positive answer:

1. Crean needs to be swiftly let go days after the NIT exit, no later than one week.
2. Glass needs to be able to identify an elite coach and hire said coach.

If you can't put forth a winning basketball product at IU, it matters not what other sports are doing, how much money you can raise, and so on. If you fail at basketball at IU, you are a failure as an AD.

There are certainly questions regarding Glass's ability to administrate IU basketball. He was not a college athlete or even a high school athlete as far as I know. Crean's horrible contract. Keeping Crean around for years too long. Quite possibly putting his relationship with Crean above his duties as an IU AD. Ignorant statements about basketball that transcend AD speak. Is Glass competent to be IU's AD moving forward? We will know without a shred of doubt extremely soon.

Reactions: hondo314
Posters on here have been asking that question a lot, and it is an very important, relevant question to ask as an IU fan. The definitive answer to this question will be answered very soon, and two things need to occur for a positive answer:

1. Crean needs to be swiftly let go days after the NIT exit, no later than one week.

If you can't put forth a winning basketball product at IU, it matters not what other sports are doing, how much money you can raise, and so on. If you fail at basketball at IU, you are a failure as an AD.

There are certainly questions regarding Glass's ability to administrate IU basketball. He was not a college athlete or even a high school athlete as far as I know. Crean's horrible contract. Keeping Crean around for years too long. Quite possibly putting his relationship with Crean above his duties as an IU AD. Ignorant statements about basketball that transcend AD speak. Is Glass competent to be IU's AD moving forward? We will know without a shred of doubt extremely soon.
One decision, at least to me, does not define competency either way.

One decision, at least to me, does not define competency either way.
It will be at least 2 decisions if you count him extending Crean and putting allowing the ridiculous buyout and then this decision on to keep him or not. 3 if you count extending Wilson, 4 if you count firing him and hiring Tom Allen. Also 5, for letting a very sucessfull baseball coach go elsewhere, maybe that ones unfair but still could have maybe ponied up. 6, if you count accepting teh NIT and not having the home game. These are only a few decisions we know about. How many other bad decisions is Glass screwing up that we dont know about.

It will be at least 2 decisions if you count him extending Crean and putting allowing the ridiculous buyout and then this decision on to keep him or not. 3 if you count extending Wilson, 4 if you count firing him and hiring Tom Allen. Also 5, for letting a very sucessfull baseball coach go elsewhere, maybe that ones unfair but still could have maybe ponied up. 6, if you count accepting teh NIT and not having the home game. These are only a few decisions we know about. How many other bad decisions is Glass screwing up that we dont know about.
Good Lord.

1. The Crean decision is huge. If he comes back, I agree, that will be bad. But the season isn't over yet.

2. Why shouldn't he have extended KW? On the field he had us going in the right direction. And we reached the point where we had to fire or extend because it would affect recruiting. His off the field antics, combined with opening IU up to lawsuits, got him fired.

3. What is it with our fans and Tom Allen? He's now taken two defenses from the 100s to the 40s-30s in one season...we've been whining about not having a defense for years; well, we've got one now. The guy is clearly a good leader if you just watch him interact with the team and look at what he does with defenses. The offense shouldn't be an issue as the OC put up better numbers at UT than we did. But what is your issue with Allen? KW didn't have any head coaching experience either. And I especially can't stand it when our fans who refuse to enter Memorial Stadium get on here and act like we should be attracting every big name football coach in the country...sorry, but they aren't interested. We have a good coach.

4. Pony up? We basically offered Tracy Smith a blank check but he turned us down because ASU is one of the top baseball programs in the country in a premier conference. The Big Ten is a midmajor baseball league with weather issues. Smith turned down OSU and at least one SEC school while he was here, but ASU is too hard to pass up. I believe he made more money here than he's making at ASU as well.

One final thing: people realize that Greenspan hired Crean, right? Glass did extend him, but I have no idea why people think they're like attached at the hip. Bill Lynch was a great guy too, and Glass defended him and said "contracts need to mean something"...and then Glass fired him. Just wait until the season is over.

I'm sorry, but your post just helps make the case that our fans are uninformed and just like to rant.

Last edited:
Reactions: snowling
Glass needs to be able to identify an elite coach and hire said coach.
Yeah that sounds great. But what if none of the "elite" coaches, i.e. guys like Donovan, Stevens, Miller, are interested in the job? There have been no indications that any are interested. Glass will have to look to second tier guys like Alford, who may not be an improvement over CTC.

TE="RBB89, post: 2092636, member: 3278"]Good Lord.

1. The Crean decision is huge. If he comes back, I agree, that will be bad. But the season isn't over yet.
2. Why shouldn't he have extended KW? On the field he had us going in the right direction. His off the field antics, combined with opening IUbuo to lawsuits, got him fired.

3. What is it with our fans and Tom Allen? He's now taken two defenses from the 109s to the 40s-30s in one season...we've been whining about not having a defense for years; well, we've got one now. The guy is clearly a good leader if you just watch him interact with the team and look st what he does with defenses. The offense should be an issue as the OC put up better numbers at UT than we did. But why is your issue with Sllen? KW didn't have any head coaching experience either. And I especially can't stand it when our fans who refuse to enter Memorial Stadium get on here and act like we should be attracting every big name football coach in the country...sorry, but they aren't interested. We have a good coach.

4. Pony up? We badically offered Tracy Smith a blank check but he turned us down because ASU is one of the top baseball programs in the country in a premier conference. The Big Ten is a midmajor baseball league. Smith turned down OSU and at least one SEC while he was here, but ASU is too hard to pass up. I believe he made more money here than he's making at ASU as well.

One final thing: people realize that Greenspan hired Crean, right? Glass did extend him, but I have no idea why people think they're like attached at the hip. Bill Lynch was a great guy too, and Glass defended him and said "contracts need to mean something"...and then Glass fired him. Just wait until the season is over.[/QUOTE]
I think Crean leveraged Glass for the extra years when he saw how bad things were and that it was going to take longer to right the ship. The surprising thing to me was when he stood by him after the drinking, drugs, and auto accident. I have not read the contract, but after Sampson, I suspect that there was an out for those things and Glass decided to stay with the program. That showed me that he was bought into Crean. I believe that after having to come out and defend Crean last year and then the turnaround, he thought he had several more years before he was going to have to stand up again and support Crean but here we are.

Yeah that sounds great. But what if none of the "elite" coaches, i.e. guys like Donovan, Stevens, Miller, are interested in the job? There have been no indications that any are interested. Glass will have to look to second tier guys like Alford, who may not be an improvement over CTC.
Considering their seasons are still going on, I would be very surprised if Donovan, Stevens, etc. were to come out and say that they were interested in the IU job. Remember Roy Williams telling Bonnie Bernstein that he didn't give a flip about the UNC job after losing in the championship game and taking the job like a week later? Even after the season, I would be surprised to hear a coach come out and say "I am interested in the IU job." This stuff is kept private.

I think your question is like a fisherman asking if he will ever catch another fish. Part of the AD's job is being a salesman. Fred needs to be able to sell the IU job. The IU job is a great coaching job. Part of Fred's job also includes being able to identify elite coaches (like a scout), and they may not be at an established program or be an established name. Fred should be able to bring in an elite coach: it's Indiana. But, if he can't, he needs to be able to identify and bring in the next big thing.

If Crean returns, it will be bad, I agree. No idea how that can happen. I believe he'll be fired when the season is officially over.

However, do people seriously believe that being a major D1 AD simply involves having played a sport in college? There's a ton more to the job than that, and Glass has worked in sports business projects.

Good Lord.

2. Why shouldn't he have extended KW? On the field he had us going in the right direction. And we reached the point where we had to fire or extend because it would affect recruiting. His off the field antics, combined with opening IU up to lawsuits, got him fired.

3. What is it with our fans and Tom Allen? He's now taken two defenses from the 100s to the 40s-30s in one season...we've been whining about not having a defense for years; well, we've got one now. The guy is clearly a good leader if you just watch him interact with the team and look at what he does with defenses. The offense shouldn't be an issue as the OC put up better numbers at UT than we did. But what is your issue with Allen? KW didn't have any head coaching experience either. And I especially can't stand it when our fans who refuse to enter Memorial Stadium get on here and act like we should be attracting every big name football coach in the country...sorry, but they aren't interested. We have a good coach.

4. Pony up? We basically offered Tracy Smith a blank check but he turned us down because ASU is one of the top baseball programs in the country in a premier conference. The Big Ten is a midmajor baseball league with weather issues. Smith turned down OSU and at least one SEC school while he was here, but ASU is too hard to pass up. I believe he made more money here than he's making at ASU as well.

One final thing: people realize that Greenspan hired Crean, right? Glass did extend him, but I have no idea why people think they're like attached at the hip. Bill Lynch was a great guy too, and Glass defended him and said "contracts need to mean something"...and then Glass fired him. Just wait until the season is over.

I'm sorry, but your post just helps make the case that our fans are uninformed and just like to rant.

I didnt say all of them were bad decisions, I happen to agree with the Kevin Wilson extension however maybe the amount and terms not so much. I was not really informed about the baseball decision, Im sorry. Yes, Jury is out on Tom Allen and I didnt state that was a bad decision either. I am just stating it is more than just 1 decision. I also look at UL with a stud AD like Jurich who is getting it done with at almost everywhere within the athletic program. I guess I also down here in Southern Indiana where I dont see all of the communication of what and the why that happens with all the athletics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT