ADVERTISEMENT

Is CNN doing what it is supposed to be doing under our Constitution? Link

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
I'm not sure what you want us to listen to,so I'll respond to what you say he said.

" He said that after going back and forth with the CNN person a few times, he was asked to change his approach from writing a speech to, at her request writing some questions. He said she rewrote one of his questions and gave it back to him. At that point he decided to not go on the Town Hall.

My first question is why did he have the notion that he would or should be allowed to write a speech?Color me skeptical that CNN at any point told him he would be allowed to write a speech.

As I posted before,my understanding was that after seeing him and finding him articulate,CNN called him and INVITED him to come on the forum and participate in the question/answer format they envisioned.
Apparently,his father decided that he should make a speech,but I don't see any indication CNN ever acknowledged that would be happening.

It's ok for the 2 parties to have varying opinions of how the event should be conducted.But it sure seems like the family has deliberately attempted to distort what actually happened...

Now if CNN had allowed other participants to do the opening/closing policy statement routine,then yes,he was discriminated against.But I don't think THAT is anything close to what happened.

It seems a case of the Haab family thinking the rules for Colton should be different,and then complaining when they didn't get their way...And right wing media jumping on a false series of events to suit their agenda...

There is a video on f the interview the young man had with Hannity. The young man, in his own words, described what happened.
I'm not sure what you want us to listen to,so I'll respond to what you say he said.

" He said that after going back and forth with the CNN person a few times, he was asked to change his approach from writing a speech to, at her request writing some questions. He said she rewrote one of his questions and gave it back to him. At that point he decided to not go on the Town Hall.

My first question is why did he have the notion that he would or should be allowed to write a speech?Color me skeptical that CNN at any point told him he would be allowed to write a speech.

As I posted before,my understanding was that after seeing him and finding him articulate,CNN called him and INVITED him to come on the forum and participate in the question/answer format they envisioned.
Apparently,his father decided that he should make a speech,but I don't see any indication CNN ever acknowledged that would be happening.

It's ok for the 2 parties to have varying opinions of how the event should be conducted.But it sure seems like the family has deliberately attempted to distort what actually happened...

Now if CNN had allowed other participants to do the opening/closing policy statement routine,then yes,he was discriminated against.But I don't think THAT is anything close to what happened.

It seems a case of the Haab family thinking the rules for Colton should be different,and then complaining when they didn't get their way...And right wing media jumping on a false series of events to suit their agenda...

Again, there is a video of his actual statement where he explains exactly what happened. What he says on the video is not what I’d being said in print by any of the news agencies. Here it is.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/02/...e&utm_campaign=share-buttons&utm_medium=email

There is a video on f the interview the young man had with Hannity. The young man, in his own words, described what happened.

Again, there is a video of his actual statement where he explains exactly what happened. What he says on the video is not what I’d being said in print by any of the news agencies. Here it is.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/02/...e&utm_campaign=share-buttons&utm_medium=email
Hannity? Really? You expect to be taken seriously with that?

Here is another post where a parent claimed that CNN was selecting people for the Town Hall according to the message that they wanted to convey.

Typical response. Actually it wasn’t Hannity it was Ticker Carlson. Of course he is just as bad as Hannity. But of course anyone who is really interested in accuracy would listen to the portion of the video where he describes what he did and how he interacted with CNN. But of course that would only happen if someone was really interested in finding out the truth which they aren’t. The objective is to deride people, call them names, etc rather than have a real discussion.

I will make one last comment and then be gone. I am a gun owner but not an NRA member because I hate their politics. We need substantially more gun control and we currently have. That said, if anybody believes changing gun laws is the only thing that’s needed to solve this problem they are wrong. That was the message that VanPastorMan was trying to make in the beginning. Unfortunately people on the board don’t want to discuss these things if they go against their beliefs The main objective here is to name call deride and find fault with anybody who speaks out differently than they think. That is a microcosm of what’s going on in our country right now.

Typical response. Actually it wasn’t Hannity it was Ticker Carlson. Of course he is just as bad as Hannity. But of course anyone who is really interested in accuracy would listen to the portion of the video where he describes what he did and how he interacted with CNN. But of course that would only happen if someone was really interested in finding out the truth which they aren’t. The objective is to deride people, call them names, etc rather than have a real discussion.

I will make one last comment and then be gone. I am a gun owner but not an NRA member because I hate their politics. We need substantially more gun control and we currently have. That said, if anybody believes changing gun laws is the only thing that’s needed to solve this problem they are wrong. That was the message that VanPastorMan was trying to make in the beginning. Unfortunately people on the board don’t want to discuss these things if they go against their beliefs The main objective here is to name call deride and find fault with anybody who speaks out differently than they think. That is a microcosm of what’s going on in our country right now.
How do you know that’s the point he was trying to make? I’d say that is likely not his point. Secondly, I don’t know a person that thinks more gun control is the only thing that needs to be done. Where have you seen or read anyone at all implying that?

Last edited:
Reactions: RBB89
That was the message that VanPastorMan was trying to make in the beginning.
I daresay it's not at all VPM's point, and quite frankly, it's obviously not your point, either. Both of you only had one point in this thread: "STUPID LIBERAL MEDIA BAD!!!!!!"

There are several threads where serious discussion about gun control is happening on this forum. This isn't one of them, but it's not because the "left" doesn't want to talk about it. It's because the OP, and others who jumped in like you, aren't interested in the serious discussion; you're only interested in whining about the liberals.

I think it's telling that VPM dumped this here, and then ran off. Pretty cowardly, if you ask me. Last I checked, he was over on the OTF looking at pictures of half-naked women. Guess he got distracted.

http://www.tampabay.com/florida-pol...vors-father-admits-email-changes-in-cnn-spat/

The father of the student has admitted he "omitted" words from the e-mail he was showing as proof although somehow it "wasn't on purpose".

Tampa Bay Times said:
The network says Glenn Haab, the father of Marjory Stoneman Douglas junior Colton Haab, doctored emails to push a claim that the network told his son what to say at the forum. Colton Haab backed out of the Feb. 21 event.

CNN denies scripting any remarks and released an email exchange between a CNN producer and Glenn Haab that it says Glenn Haab altered. The altered email was sent to other news outlets, including Fox News.

Haab acknowledges omitting some words from the email but says he didn't do it on purpose.

Reactions: largemouth
I daresay it's not at all VPM's point, and quite frankly, it's obviously not your point, either. Both of you only had one point in this thread: "STUPID LIBERAL MEDIA BAD!!!!!!"

There are several threads where serious discussion about gun control is happening on this forum. This isn't one of them, but it's not because the "left" doesn't want to talk about it. It's because the OP, and others who jumped in like you, aren't interested in the serious discussion; you're only interested in whining about the liberals.

I think it's telling that VPM dumped this here, and then ran off. Pretty cowardly, if you ask me. Last I checked, he was over on the OTF looking at pictures of half-naked women. Guess he got distracted.
Like Trump, I don't think Van has ever set aside 20 minutes to read the whole Constitution. When he figured out, hopefully, that CNN and other media don't have any duties under the Constitution, he called it a day.

OK I listened to it-I wonder if you did.It was precisely this interview by Carlson that led to CNN releasing the emails in the first place.

The thing that jumps out at me,and a few other commenters on that page,is that Carlson effectively puts words in the kids mouth.The irony of course is he is simultaneously trying to accuse CNN of doing the same thing...

Colton to Carlson...

"She had taken that which I had briefed on and actually wrote THAT question out for me"

Carlson- "They put their own words in the question? They weren't your words,they were the producers?"

Colton- "They had taken what I had and what I had briefed on,and talked about and they wrote the question for me."

Carlson proceeds to call that dishonest,and curiously enough when Colton asks Carlson if he wants to hear the question CNN "wrote",Carlson changes the subject and goes back to the CNN "scripted my question" line...

Now I've listened several times,and I never heard Colton say that CNN changed his words.He went along with Carlson's assertion that that's what happened,but to me that sounds remarkably like Carlson putting words in Colton's mouth,that Colton never said.

Now check out this email exchange from Wed prior to the show date...

First the email from Colton suggesting possible questions.

24E4XFTUHQ7EJBR7MGM6PH6L3M.png

As Stevenson and Haab were discussing the matter, Colton Haab’s father, Glenn Haab, passed along several pages of “background” points that the family wanted Colton Haab to recite to contextualize the question that he was supposed to pose to Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.). After Stevenson examined the proposal, she wrote this email to Glenn Haab:
This is also a copy with the "that he submitted" edited out of her email...

CMWEDOQTFMYITMZF4ND4ZKB7RQ.png

As you can see the question she mentions is basically the same one highlighted in the earlier email.CNN did add a reference to Coach Feis,but reportedly that was due to Colton having mentioned Feis on an earlier interview on Fox Friends,where he basically raised the same question/point...

It was at this point,when the Producer tells Glenn that the "talking points" are too long and they need to stick to actual QUESTIONS,that Glenn announces he is taking his ball and going home...

This article from the WAPO elaborates on the talking points Glenn wanted to include.As you can tell they are pretty long,and as you can see from pics of the group on stage,the idea they could have everyone add talking points was just plain impractical.However,when you compare the questions in the 2 emails respectively,it's hard to see VERY little material difference...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...-with-florida-student/?utm_term=.133c8b0a31ec

Last edited:
Reactions: IUPaterade724
OK I listened to it-I wonder if you did.It was precisely this interview by Carlson that led to CNN releasing the emails in the first place.

The thing that jumps out at me,and a few other commenters on that page,is that Carlson effectively puts words in the kids mouth.The irony of course is he is simultaneously trying to accuse CNN of doing the same thing...

Colton to Carlson...

"She had taken that which I had briefed on and actually wrote THAT question out for me"

Carlson- "They put their own words in the question? They weren't your words,they were the producers?"

Colton- "They had taken what I had and what I had briefed on,and talked about and they wrote the question for me."

Carlson proceeds to call that dishonest,and curiously enough when Colton asks Carlson if he wants to hear the question CNN "wrote",Carlson changes the subject and goes back to the CNN "scripted my question" line...

Now I've listened several times,and I never heard Colton say that CNN changed his words.He went along with Carlson's assertion that that's what happened,but to me that sounds remarkably like Carlson putting words in Colton's mouth,that Colton never said.

Now check out this email exchange from Wed prior to the show date...

First the email from Colton suggesting possible questions.

24E4XFTUHQ7EJBR7MGM6PH6L3M.png

As Stevenson and Haab were discussing the matter, Colton Haab’s father, Glenn Haab, passed along several pages of “background” points that the family wanted Colton Haab to recite to contextualize the question that he was supposed to pose to Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.). After Stevenson examined the proposal, she wrote this email to Glenn Haab:
This is also a copy with the "that he submitted" edited out of her email...

CMWEDOQTFMYITMZF4ND4ZKB7RQ.png

As you can see the question she mentions is basically the same one highlighted in the earlier email.CNN did add a reference to Coach Feis,but reportedly that was due to Colton having mentioned Feis on an earlier interview on Fox Friends,where he basically raised the same question/point...

It was at this point,when the Producer tells Glenn that the "talking points" are too long and they need to stick to actual QUESTIONS,that Glenn announces he is taking his ball and going home...

This article from the WAPO elaborates on the talking points Glenn wanted to include.As you can tell they are pretty long,and as you can see from pics of the group on stage,the idea they could have everyone add talking points was just plain impractical.However,when you compare the questions in the 2 emails respectively,it's hard to see VERY little material difference...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...-with-florida-student/?utm_term=.133c8b0a31ec
Just within the past 2 hours...

"Glenn Haab told The Associated Press he omitted some words from the email but said he didn't do it on purpose.

"There was nothing malicious behind it," he said.

In one exchange, 17-year-old Colton Haab proposes several questions to ask at the town hall, including one on whether to arm teachers. His father, a Republican gun owner, later emailed Stevenson a four-page document with a roughly 700-word speech and a series of questions he said Colton wanted to ask.

Stevenson told the father the additional language he proposed was "way too long" and Colton would need to stick to the question "that he submitted." The words "that he submitted" were left off the email sent to Fox News and Huffington Post.

CNN said Stevenson had discussed which one of Colton's several questions to ask at the forum and they mutually agreed on one using his own words and a statement he made during another television appearance.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/shooting-survivors-father-admits-email-changes-cnn-spat-213024427.html

Just within the past 2 hours...

"Glenn Haab told The Associated Press he omitted some words from the email but said he didn't do it on purpose.

"There was nothing malicious behind it," he said.

In one exchange, 17-year-old Colton Haab proposes several questions to ask at the town hall, including one on whether to arm teachers. His father, a Republican gun owner, later emailed Stevenson a four-page document with a roughly 700-word speech and a series of questions he said Colton wanted to ask.

Stevenson told the father the additional language he proposed was "way too long" and Colton would need to stick to the question "that he submitted." The words "that he submitted" were left off the email sent to Fox News and Huffington Post.

CNN said Stevenson had discussed which one of Colton's several questions to ask at the forum and they mutually agreed on one using his own words and a statement he made during another television appearance.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/shooting-survivors-father-admits-email-changes-cnn-spat-213024427.html
It's despicable this guy was using his own son to try and score points for his point of view.

Reactions: MrBing
Bumpity bump from the 2nd page for VPM.

Since it was PA VPM moved to last year,maybe he'll jump in and give us his take on why the State should retain the ridiculously gerrymandered map of Congressional Districts the Pubs drew following their 2010 victory.That would undoubtedly be some high level situational ethics from our resident stealth thread starter...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT