ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Read on How The Top State of Indiana Recruits Have Done...

LeConte

All-American
Mar 19, 2004
Louisville, KY
We've done a miserable job of keeping top in-state recruits. Very sad to think back about all that talent going virtually everywhere but Bloomington.

Reactions: vesuvius13
over the past 15 years.

Looking back, it's ridiculous how many of these players have not chosen Indiana - almost none! And the ones that did usually had issues while they were here.

And how does Iowa continue to get so many top guys from here?

Nice to see Allen begin to make some headway in keeping some of these guys here.

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...tball-recruits-past-15-years-fared/591053002/

Wow, thanks for posting that. I didn't remember Purdue doing that well back in 2003-2010.

As far as I can tell, about 45 of the 75 listed names (I didn't include the "others" listed) made an 'impact' at the college level.....of those 45, I only see Willis on the IU ledger.......1 guy in 15 years. Ouch. Others:

Purdue 9: Pollard; Werner; Baker; Painter; Elliott; Kerrigan; Holland; Etling (LSU also); Robinson

ND 7: Samardzija; Cave; Goodman; Martin; Day; Smith; Bilal

OSU 5: Hale; McLaurin; Mack; Werner; Larimore

PSU 3: Gaines; Stevens; Hippenhammer

Iowa 2: Mattison; Edds

Michigan 2: Graham; Brown

Stanford 2: Lueders; Wright

Others 14: Bonds (W. Mich); Evans (VT); Gray (MN); Newton (UK); Hurst (NC); Lewis (MSU); Harley (W. Ill); Kiel (Cincy); Daniel (Murray St.); Kimbrough (GA); Kirkland (TN); Williams (N. Ill); Johnson (Clem); Yeast (UL)

Of the 45 that had an 'impact', I'd say app. 25 had a 'major impact'. Very few had a 'major impact' in the NFL.

What is most noticeable to me is how many tragic stories there are. Motto of the story is (1) stay on the straight and narrow and (2) have a back-up plan.

We've done a miserable job of keeping top in-state recruits. Very sad to think back about all that talent going virtually everywhere but Bloomington.
Don’t we have like 4 of the top 6 prospects in the state committed?

Reactions: ESalum86
That story Should tell recruits out there that going to the "national name brand" school where there's an excellent chance you'll be recruited over every year you stay, isn't a good strategy for getting playing time and NFL tape.

The smart move would be to come to INDIANA, play early and often, help change the narrative, Win and win like never before here and become a local and national household name for the next 100 years..., versus disappearing on the "name" teams bench, to become the answer to a difficult trivia question 10 years later...

Smart guys buy low and make their fortunes...

Reactions: td75
Wow, thanks for posting that. I didn't remember Purdue doing that well back in 2003-2010.

As far as I can tell, about 45 of the 75 listed names (I didn't include the "others" listed) made an 'impact' at the college level.....of those 45, I only see Willis on the IU ledger.......1 guy in 15 years. Ouch. Others:

Purdue 9: Pollard; Werner; Baker; Painter; Elliott; Kerrigan; Holland; Etling (LSU also); Robinson

ND 7: Samardzija; Cave; Goodman; Martin; Day; Smith; Bilal

OSU 5: Hale; McLaurin; Mack; Werner; Larimore

PSU 3: Gaines; Stevens; Hippenhammer

Iowa 2: Mattison; Edds

Michigan 2: Graham; Brown

Stanford 2: Lueders; Wright

Others 14: Bonds (W. Mich); Evans (VT); Gray (MN); Newton (UK); Hurst (NC); Lewis (MSU); Harley (W. Ill); Kiel (Cincy); Daniel (Murray St.); Kimbrough (GA); Kirkland (TN); Williams (N. Ill); Johnson (Clem); Yeast (UL)

Of the 45 that had an 'impact', I'd say app. 25 had a 'major impact'. Very few had a 'major impact' in the NFL.

What is most noticeable to me is how many tragic stories there are. Motto of the story is (1) stay on the straight and narrow and (2) have a back-up plan.

Lots of bullets dodged.

And I feel like a ton of those kids would have had better careers at an IU or Purdue than they did at OSU/Auburn/Wherever.

The top 2 are headed to Purdue. The next 4 are going to iu.
Can't argue that isn't progress at least! And...still a shot Jones from BD picks IU too. Think Allen is making headway in-state that we will continue to see moving forward.

Can't argue that isn't progress at least! And...still a shot Jones from BD picks IU too. Think Allen is making headway in-state that we will continue to see moving forward.
We clearly want to grab as many top in-state guys as we can, but it's tough to overstate the importance of what Allen is accomplishing in Florida - - a state with exponentially more talent than the state of Indiana. He's got a pipeline to the Tampa Bay area that now seems to be rapidly expanding to southeast Florida.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT