ADVERTISEMENT

Influential teacher..

Mine was Chester Frame.1985 hoosierhills vocational machine trades class. Bloomington north high school vocational school extension.
Many years later, I made it to his funeral, late. That would have pissed him off.
But I made the naval color guard wait. Until I was done at the casket… and they understood why!! Greatest man that I ever knew.

I had several, but I don’t know that they were life changing. I was already on a pretty decent path, good parents and good schools.
Teachers are great, but there’s one ver specific one, in my life, that for some reason I’m wanting to remember right now…

Well, honestly there’s only one in my life that cut through my bullshit. So it’s not a challenge.
Can you nail it down to ONE?

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I had several, but I don’t know that they were life changing. I was already on a pretty decent path, good parents and good schools.
I didn’t mean that to be pompous.
But can you focus it down to one, with the influence and what that influence was?
All do their best. But which one. Changed you?

Edit- thee for their…

Last edited:
Have any of you had One very specific teacher that changed your life?

Not just one.

Mrs. Bridgewater, 7th grade English. I'm a grammar Nazi because of her.

Mrs. Creech, 7th grade math, freshman Algebra, sophomore Geometry. Yes, she kept moving up the ladder with my class. I struggled with Algebra early, but then had my Aha! moment and everything clicked. I've had a great intuitive grasp of numbers ever since.

Professor Pounds, H111 -- Historical Background of Contemporary Problems, freshman year at IU. Opened my eyes to how history drove events.

C
i can’t even remember the names of any of my teachers, so I guess the answer would be “no.”

I do remember that the starting infield for the ‘61 Yankees was Bill Skowron (first), Bobby Richardson (second), Tony Kubek (SS) and Clete Boyer (third).

Teachers are great, but there’s one ver specific one, in my life, that for some reason I’m wanting to remember right now…

Well, honestly there’s only one in my life that cut through my bullshit. So it’s not a challenge.
Can you nail it down to ONE?
That’s real neat Joe. Yes I was a terrible student. I had a full ride to play at ucla, visited, loved it, and when they got my act (15) they thought it was a mistake. So admissions never let me in. I had all Cs Ds and Fs always.

Fast forward to college I was lifting weights and this older guy was benching next to me and we got to talking. Guy had a hard Boston accent (born and raised Irish Boston Celtics nut) but ph.d at Claremont and taught political philosophy. Built like Dave larret the arm wrestler nut. Or Rick rude even. Over months in the gym he talked me into taking one of his classes. First paper I turned in had SEE ME instead of a grade. So I met with him and he said my writing was the worst he’d seen in his years of teaching. And that I should come to his office everyday at lunch and he will fix me.

I got into multiple ph.d programs, crushed the lsat getting admitted at Wash u, notre dame, Cornell etc. The guy literally changed my life. To this day I message him a few times a year.

A good teacher is an instructor, an inspiration, a role model, a vocational counselor, and a Wizard. The very top of the food chain

Love this thread Joe

Last edited:
Not just one.

Mrs. Creech, 7th grade math, freshman Algebra, sophomore Geometry. Yes, she kept moving up the ladder with my class. I struggled with Algebra early, but then had my Aha! moment and everything clicked. I've had a great intuitive grasp of numbers ever since.

Professor Pounds, H111 -- Historical Background of Contemporary Problems, freshman year at IU. Opened my eyes to how history drove events.
Brilliant

C

i can’t even remember the names of any of my teachers, so I guess the answer would be “no.”

I do remember that the starting infield for the ‘61 Yankees was Bill Skowron (first), Bobby Richardson (second), Tony Kubek (SS) and Clete Boyer (third).
You don’t? Thats pretty unusual I’d think. I can name all of my elementary easily. Quite a few but not all middle and high school. Interestingly enough, not many professors.

Not just one.

See that’s the “one “ I’m talkin about. She/ he just had something that made you stay engaged. Maybe even dig in more afterwards, just because they “gave” you the power of yourself!

C

Classic!! But I’m not a pup. I’m 55. I remember the one very specific teacher, who was a WW2 navel vet… who gave me The praise to make me … much more proud of myself than I should be. I honestly loved that man.
He told me what I could do… but not how to control that confidence.
Thus I know my capabilities… but not how to be humble enough. (Out loud humble I mean)

Anyway, that one person… in your life… one… and why?

Bruce Hitchcock. Honors AP US History, Geography, Government in high school.

Was also the football coach but that was before my time. Just kept teaching though. Hardcore conservative that challenged people in a way that was respectful but resistant to bullshit.

Brilliant.

Bruce Hitchcock. Honors AP US History, Geography, Government in high school.

Was also the football coach but that was before my time. Just kept teaching though. Hardcore conservative that challenged people in a way that was respectful but resistant to bullshit.

Brilliant.
Thank you…
Was there a moment that he effected Change in you, or was just over a longer period of time being exposed to him?
My guy just seemed to be normal… until this one moment, he grabbed me and said…..
he was like bob knight. In 30 seconds gave me more inspiration ….. than I’ve been man enough to control since 1988.

But not one that just did one thing a little more influential? They were all equal? Really?
Shirley one had a smooch more influence?

No, not in school. But my pastor/mentor who is now retired had a huge impact on my life. He was a Moody Bible Institute Grad and I think I wanted to go there because of him. He is a true friend of people who come into contact with him. I've never met anyone who wanted others to do well in life and helped them get there more than him. I used to tease him back in the mid 90's because he had only seen the original Star Wars. It was something like 10 yrs later he said to me, "Van, guess what? I saw the second movie of Star Wars. Darth Vader is Luke's Dad huh?" I said, "Jay, you are really lagging behind the times. I don't even want to explain midichlorians to you."

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
So what happened?
Bad decisions couple with some addictive behaviors. You know, the usual.

For Joe:

I guess he was just the first teacher I’d had (sophomore year) that treated me like an adult and expected me to contribute like one as well.

Had an honors English teacher that was similar. Last name was Purvis. Hippie. Every year he’d let a couple students tackle a tougher project related to American lit. Mine was on Twain’s “What is Man”? Still remember it, and his critique very fondly. Again, treated like an adult not a child. Somehow even then, I appreciated it.

Bad decisions couple with some addictive behaviors. You know, the usual.

For Joe:

I guess he was just the first teacher I’d had (sophomore year) that treated me like an adult and expected me to contribute like one as well.

Had an honors English teacher that was similar. Last name was Purvis. Hippie. Every year he’d let a couple students tackle a tougher project related to American lit. Mine was on Twain’s “What is Man”? Still remember it, and his critique very fondly. Again, treated like an adult not a child. Somehow even then, I appreciated it.
Hitchcock and Purvis - I know where you.re from. My kids went there.

My most influential teacher/coach was named Wood.

Reactions: larsIU
No, not in school. But my pastor/mentor who is now retired had a huge impact on my life. He was a Moody Bible Institute Grad and I think I wanted to go there because of him. He is a true friend of people who come into contact with him. I've never met anyone who wanted others to do well in life and helped them get there more than him. I used to tease him back in the mid 90's because he had only seen the original Star Wars. It was something like 10 yrs later he said to me, "Van, guess what? I saw the second movie of Star Wars. Darth Vader is Luke's Dad huh?" I said, "Jay, you are really lagging behind the times. I don't even want to explain midichlorians to you."
I think this is much more on line with what I was thinking. Someone who does their craft so well, No one ever really notices, while they learn so much. Then one day towards the end... BAM.
My feller, Mr Frame. I honestly, for two years, never could tell how he treated anyone differently in the 2 year class. If you effed up one month from graduation, or if you effed up 1 month into the class as a FNG (****in new guy) you got the same punishment. totally equal to everyone !
But on one of the last couple days of class of my graduation year, he pulled me aside, grabbed me by the shirt, I was 5'9" chubby ... he was a good 4" shorter, served in WW2 in the Navy (a machinist on a sub), had forearms like bomb shells and never flinched.
Looked me in the eye..level.. You've taken everything I've given you. learned every machine. You cleaned out the oyster pit (it was a form of punishment) when I was caught chewing tobacco when I knew school rules didn't allow it.. (although I swallow and not spit like pussies)
He said, you started as a fat farm kid, after one year you where a fat school kid that had learned a few things, but in 2 weeks, you are going to graduate. You have proven that you are a tool maker now. There is nothing that you are not capable of achieving, IF you apply yourself to it.
It was the best and worst words any one could have ever told me.
Per my OP question, My defining moment was when Chester Frame said, "Son you are a tool maker now, and can do anything".
That was 37 yrs ago... I can still see Chester Frame standing in front of me. 5'4", forearms like Popeye. Changed my life.
Has anyone had ONE teacher, and a DEFINING moment that was life changing. Chet changed my life in that 30 seconds of "conversation", but maybe it was because he had my total attention (respect) for the 2 yrs prior?

Props Chester Frame !

But not one that just did one thing a little more influential? They were all equal? Really?
Shirley one had a smooch more influence?
Oh no several more so, just not sure I’d say life changing. Probably go with Mr. Croxton. First male teacher I ever had in fifth grade. I remember many of my spelling and grammar rules from him. When I was in first grade he knew me ( my mom had him) and he had me read Horton Hears a Who to his fifth grade class for some reason. I remember standing on a chair. Lol

And I have to say this question pops up as a Facebook meme occasionally and one of my kiddos will tag me in it. No better feeling.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Oh no several more so, just not sure I’d say life changing. Probably go with Mr. Croxton. First male teacher I ever had in fifth grade. I remember many of my spelling and grammar rules from him. When I was in first grade he knew me ( my mom had him) and he had me read Horton Hears a Who to his fifth grade class for some reason. I remember standing on a chair. Lol
I was hoping to hear that people had identified that ONE moment/ or teacher. But you have me now thinking back. Funny, it's about reading again...
3rd grade and I had fell behind everyone, massively, in reading. Enough that the old hag Mrs Wallace had my mom come in for a meeting in the middle of the day. Embarrassed the shit out of me.
Your son can't read... (3rd grade)
Mom says yes he can, he simply doesn't care about it, finds it boring.. He want's to be a pro baseball player and that is all he thinks about, but he CAN read just fine.
Teacher, (old hag) says bullshit, he's dumb as a rock.. (not untrue, BUUUUT)...
Mom and hag make a deal... I get to hold a baseball during school, but I have to go to "special ed" reading classes.. They spit shake...(back in the mid/ late 70's when 2 women would actually spit in their palms, and shake hands to make a deal) . SO I have a baseball in my right hand... Er'body in the class is looking at me.. FACK...
Special ed reading class was off to one corner of the normal class room, not a totally separate reading jail cell. (thank god).
So the next day, there I am, special ed reading class, holding this stupid baseball and Mrs Wallace asks me to read this top sentence on this big old sheet of words...
I ............... Of course.... read it off, word after word, like I'm a 7 yr old that understands Shakespeare. No hesitation not stumbles... blah blah blah... WHY am I being forced to do this stupid shit??
Ok read the 3rd line...
Johnny had an apples seed up his ..
WHOA... That isn't..
So teach, I can read all of this crap fine.. I just don't want to. Do you hear me now? Can I put the ball down , I'm 3'5" white, fat, and aint ever getting to the majors.. Mom wont listen but will you now?

I went back to Gen pop in one day.. and continued with my 2.9 GPA, which kept ER'body off my ass for the next 9 yrs. Reading simply bores me to tears.. Give me a cutting torch... we make magic !!

.... Um , I may have had an unexpected memory pop up there that was totally irrelevant to the original question. My bad.
But it does make me think of McMurty's little squid... Hey Murt, need a baby setter? I think I may be able to help ya !!!

And I have to say this question pops up as a Facebook meme occasionally and one of my kiddos will tag me in it. No better feeling.
If this comment as directed at my OP, I canceled Face book 7+ yrs ago.
I am legitimatly courious.

Any comment about this must be predicated on this video.

I had three law professors who fit this script to a T. Torts, contracts, and evidence. They were equally influential and the lessons I learned from them are still with me. Intimidating? Sure. Learning? Definitely. The learning was how to think. If I had to pick one, it would be the torts guy. His classes on causation were works of art.

Unnamed philosophy Prof at IU my freshman year teaching existentialism. I had no idea why I was in the class other than maybe I wanted chicks to see me reading "deep" books I could barely understand. dude had crazy hair and wore a Miles Davis t-shirt.

One day we come into class and he's written three words on the white board.

Thesis
Antithesis
Synthesis

And away we went. I probably got an English degree just so I could get into the books he referenced in that class. If I were smarter, I would have tried to be him. I still think about him all the time.

Unnamed philosophy Prof at IU my freshman year teaching existentialism. I had no idea why I was in the class other than maybe I wanted chicks to see me reading "deep" books I could barely understand. dude had crazy hair and wore a Miles Davis t-shirt.

Thesis
Antithesis
Synthesis

And away we went. I probably got an English degree just so I could get into the books he referenced in that class. If I were smarter, I would have tried to be him. I still think about him all the time.
Good stuff.

The fun starts when synthesis becomes the new thesis and the exercise keeps going.

Reactions: manichi

Thesis
Antithesis
Synthesis

What year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT