ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana State on a Friday night

I’m sure this was a TV decision and there was nothing we could do about it
Wasn't it Minnesota or someone that said they wouldn't play on a Friday night?

I agree it was a TV decision, but someone has to have the balls to say 'not this game. not this weekend'.

Come to find out, that same night features these high school games in the area:
  • Bl North vs Bl South
  • Edgewood vs OV
  • Linton vs Sullivan
  • TH North vs TH South
I mean you wanna talk about ****ing over your local high school programs, we get to **** 'em all over at the same time.

I agree it was a TV decision, but someone has to have the balls to say 'not this game. not this weekend'.

• Bl North vs Bl South
  • Edgewood vs OV
  • Linton vs Sullivan
  • TH North vs TH South
I mean you wanna talk about ****ing over your local high school programs, we get to **** 'em all over at the same time.
More like people will stay home for those local rivalry games and catch the 4th quarter of IU game on TV.

Reactions: vesuvius13
What leverage are we going to use to push back?

I saw where Nebraska has two Friday games this season, at least one of which is a conference game.
We have no real leverage . . . As a matter of principle, sending the message that you won’t be pushed around is important. We won’t make a fuss, though.

Good thing I already booked my hotel. Need to take the day off work now instead of coming after work.

• Bl North vs Bl South
  • Edgewood vs OV
  • Linton vs Sullivan
  • TH North vs TH South
North vs South game will draw more fans.

• Bl North vs Bl South
  • Edgewood vs OV
  • Linton vs Sullivan
  • TH North vs TH South

Allen needs to reach out to every one of those programs, let them know he regrets this scheduling, and promise that he'll do everything in his power to stop this kind of crap. Dolson needs to be included. It may not help anything, but the HS people need to know this isn't something we condone.

If IU is cashing the media checks from the B10 office - in full - then IU is condoning the decision to move the game.
We didn’t have the opportunity to approve it, at least not specifically. There was a decision made some time ago that there would be some limited Friday night games and, for the good of the the Big Ten and BTN, the schools needed to support that going forward. I don’t think any of the coaches particularly like it, but they weren’t asked as much as they were told . . . This is what we’re doing, so go do it. It’s why the criticism has been lukewarm, at best, and why there’s been little debate or discussion about it. They all realize it messes with their preparation and that it encroaches on the night commonly viewed as the domain of high schools, but money talks.

Do O$U, UM, PSU ever get scheduled on a Friday night or os it just he bottom feeders of the various leagues?

Believe also Kevin Wilson spoke out against B1G playing Friday nights as HS should hold ownership.
I don't recall that, perhaps someone here can google it while they are looking up OL schemes to use in posts.

TA has been vocal about it all along and he has credibility as a former HS coach. I assume the HAS coaches that hear him talk about it do appreciate his support and empathy.

Do O$U, UM, PSU ever get scheduled on a Friday night or os it just he bottom feeders of the various leagues?
Gene Smith at OSU has said that they would host a Friday game, but only the opening week of the season (Labor Day weekend). That is before classes have started (stadium parking is also used for nearby academic buildings) and a holiday weekend and they could actually handle the crush of parking requirements for 100,000.

I suspect Michigan is in the same boat. Michigan has the additional challenge of thousand of parking for gameday on the high school property adjacent to the stadium that could not happen on a school day. GameDay traffic and normal weekday traffic on I-94 would be a disaster.

Penn State has none of those issues, but o don’t know if they have special status. I don’t know how Maryland has mixed football with an academic day and DV traffic, but I’m guessing you can make it work for 35,000 (and a planned a single day academic holiday) rather than 100k +

Gene Smith at OSU has said that they would host a Friday game, but only the opening week of the season (Labor Day weekend). That is before classes have started (stadium parking is also used for nearby academic buildings) and a holiday weekend and they could actually handle the crush of parking requirements for 100,000.

I suspect Michigan is in the same boat. Michigan has the additional challenge of thousand of parking for gameday on the high school property adjacent to the stadium that could not happen on a school day. GameDay traffic and normal weekday traffic on I-94 would be a disaster.

Penn State has none of those issues, but o don’t know if they have special status. I don’t know how Maryland has mixed football with an academic day and DV traffic, but I’m guessing you can make it work for 35,000 (and a planned a single day academic holiday) rather than 100k +
Excellent point. Our relatively remote set up away from the main campus is mostly unique in the Big Ten and makes for a minimal interruption to the purely academic areas of campus.

OSU played NW a few years ago on a Friday night. It obviously didn’t go over well either. Michigan and Minnesota also played on a Friday.

Friday has traditionally been the night for high schools, not Saturday. This is about BTN programming, and it seems like an unnecessary encroachment.
seems like the North-South game could easily just move to Sat, as could any HS games that feel are impacted.

obviously Fox couldn't care less, and BTN is their network, not the B10's.

therefore seems the logical thing for North and South to do is move their game to Sat night.

that said, BTN being Fox's network and not the B10's, is a story the schools and their propaganda media have totally buried.

looks like either total dishonesty on the part of both Delany and B10 schools, a total clusterfk beyond belief, or total dishonesty and corruption on Delany's part, coupled with total malfeasance level lack of due diligence on the part of B10 schools' legal teams.

something that should have been a major story with the sports, media, and financial, press, yet total crickets.

It’s well known that Fox has a controlling interest in the BTN.
obviously Fox couldn't care less, and BTN is their network, not the B10's.

therefore seems the logical thing for North and South to do is move their game to Sat night.

that said, BTN being Fox's network and not the B10's, is a story the schools and their propaganda media have totally buried.

looks like either total dishonesty on the part of both Delany and B10 schools, a total clusterfk beyond belief, or total dishonesty and corruption on Delany's part, coupled with total malfeasance level lack of due diligence on the part of B10 schools' legal teams.

something that should have been a major story with the sports, media, and financial, press, yet total crickets.

facepalm-head-768x432.jpg

Reactions: Euro
seems like the North-South game could easily just move to Sat, as could any HS games that feel are impacted.
Where I grew up, Saturday evening HS games were commonplace, especially when one of the teams had to take a bus ride longer than an hour. This permitted HS fans to attend two games on a weekend. It was about maximizing the HS gate then.

Correct, but they were always positioned contractually to assume majority control. It was in the initial agreement and always where both parties wanted it to be.

and you probably know this only because i told you so.

i posted this many times for yrs here, before you even joined the board under your current handle, and others still didn't catch on.

that said, when BTN launched, Delany, the league, and the schools, insisted that the league would control the network.

INSISTED, and made a HUGE deal of that control, in literally every media release.

in fact, the league made such a big deal of it, that most here still think it's the league's network, or at least did so until recently.

but Murdoch put an option to acquire a majority stake in the original contract, even though the league had the majority stake in the original contract.

now the real question is, did the schools themselves know of the option, or did they take Delany's word that the league would be the controlling entity, and let the league handle the contract.

not sure we'll ever know for sure if the schools were aware of the option to purchase details in the original contract, as such parties would probably never admit it if they got taken and didn't do their due diligence.

but i have to question that they did, being if so, they wouldn't have made such a big deal of the league controlling the network going in, as that just makes them all look either totally dishonest or totally inept..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT