ADVERTISEMENT

Impact transfer.

I think Archie laid off MW due to loyalty to Dayton. I've got no problem with that. But saying we laid off of him for APR reasons is factually incorrect. Archie didn't have to re-recruit Durham and Moore and I wondered, at the time, why he was putting so much effort on it, because both looked like projects.

APR handcuffed Archie for transfers. IU handcuffed Archie for Wright.

Exactly. 95% of the people on this board didn't know McKinley Wright's name until 2 months ago and I bet 99% didn't know he was a Dayton recruit committed under Archie. Just something else to bitch about with more than 4 years of hindsight.

I knew who he was. His offer list was a lot better than Al's.

Reactions: Brockway
KenPom has IU #7 in B1G ADJd and #34 overall. Doesn’t strike me as horrible personally.

Conference only we are 11th(I really value conference numbers at this point in the season), and trending in the wrong direction, 10th place is a fair gap between us. We could easily finish 12th or worse if we continue this awful defense.

Conference only we are 11th(I really value conference numbers at this point in the season), and trending in the wrong direction, 10th place is a fair gap between us. We could easily finish 12th or worse if we continue this awful defense.
Which stat is 11th? Just during B1G play they are 11th? Is that just points?

I like the KenPom metrics, but curious what you’re looking at.

It's easy to say now that we should have brought Wright on, but coming out of high school, he was a 3 star kid just like Durham. He wasn't some can't miss kid that we absolutely had to have.

If Wright would have had a career like Durham is having, would people be bringing him up?

And Archie didn't prioritize Anderson over Henry. They both had a offer and Archie would have still taken Henry. Henry felt like his spot was taken so that's why he went to State (Izzo had to be talked into offering Henry, BTW. He wasn't 100% sold on him until after he blew up in July during AAU). It was basically first commit gets the spot, which Anderson took.

I think Archie always liked Henry more, and Anderson was to be the back-up plan. Then Anderson committed on the spot, and Archie was stuck.

The issue was not that he prioritized Anderson over Henry. The issue was that he didn't prioritize Henry over Anderson. I knew as soon as he committed to MSU we were f***ed.

He is not one of the better perimeter defenders in the B1G that is horse shit. Chaundee Brown, Trice, Duane Washington, Ayo, any of the Rutger guards, Any of the Maryland guards, those are elite defenders in the big ten. He is not even above average in that department. We are the worst team in the league at defending the three, and the 11th worst defense in the league, he is a big reason why, Custodian. Our defense is miles from being elite incase you were still saying that. Back off that narrative yet?

You're right that he is not elite. I think he is somewhat above average.

Yes there were, and Miller filled them with kids who had de committed. He didn’t have to do that and, in spite of what you previously said, there’s zero “industry standard” that propelled him. He simply erred in evaluating those kids, and he hasn’t recovered. Not sure why you continue to defend this.

Smith had signed and did not ask for a release. That might have been an APR issue or moral issue. Durham & Moore asked for their RELEASE, and IU declined. Then Archie re-recruited them, aggressively. I wondered why at the time, but like everyone else assumed he knew what the hell he was doing.

Smith had signed and did not ask for a release. That might have been an APR issue or moral issue. Durham & Moore asked for their RELEASE, and IU declined. Then Archie re-recruited them, aggressively. I wondered why at the time, but like everyone else assumed he knew what the hell he was doing.

Me, along with many other couch coaches yelled we take Wright. I then got berated by the holier than thou club, and yes assumed Archie and IU knew what they were doing. No1 in their right mind can try to argue that was a good decision at this point.

Reactions: snarlcakes
What was plan B? If those guys don’t commit to IU, is Archie going to the HPER to grab some bodies or just roll with walk ons? I’m guessing the thinking was - take them now. Develop them and see if they can be here 4 years - very least- as a role player or they’ll leave on their own merit. Both came true. But I think re-recruiting them was better than having a walk on or a kid from the HPER.

Archie thought he could take the guys in hand and run with it. It didn't work. IU now has a poorly constructed roster that cannot balance the floor.

Archie was handed a poorly constructed roster and never fixed it.

Last edited:
Archie thought he could take the guys in hand and run with it. It didn't work. IU now has a poorly constructed roster that cannot balance the floor.

Archie was handed a porrly constructed roster and never fixed it.
He hired Kenya. IU has at least one new guard next year. Probably a few more changes. An older team next year. Young guys getting good experience. And a few teams in the B1G will turnover.

I don’t think roster is in complete shambles and could very well be altered even better this off-season.

He hired Kenya. IU has at least one new guard next year. Probably a few more changes. An older team next year. Young guys getting good experience. And a few teams in the B1G will turnover.

I don’t think roster is in complete shambles and could very well be altered even better this off-season.

It is too late...dead tenure walking

It is too late...dead tenure walking
. Interesting take. I personally don’t think it’s a done deal he’s gone. I think this is the evaluation year and next year is Judgment Day.

If they succeed next year, he’ll get extended unless a sure-fire candidate agrees to coach here behind the scenes.

You’re referencing the 73.8 Avg/G which puts them tenth in conference only?

Sean doesn't understand what adjusted efficiency means. Not shocking. IU's also played 4 conference OT games, two of which went to double OT. It inflates the scoring average.

The custodian doesn’t know how to read. Click on big ten conference, scroll down to conference only defense. IU is ranked 11th in DE at 106.1 by Kenpom. IL is 96.5 and 2nd.

I think Archie always liked Henry more, and Anderson was to be the back-up plan. Then Anderson committed on the spot, and Archie was stuck.

The issue was not that he prioritized Anderson over Henry. The issue was that he didn't prioritize Henry over Anderson. I knew as soon as he committed to MSU we were f***ed.

Anderson didn't commit on the spot. He got his offer in June and committed to us in July.

lol subscribe. That’s your first problem.
Yeah was just asking bud. So the AdjD at #6 in the B1G is not as good as the metric you’re referencing? I understand you prefer B1G only games, but it’s interesting they are 11th in the metric you’re reading vs 6th in B1G overall. Just a big delta

. Interesting take. I personally don’t think it’s a done deal he’s gone. I think this is the evaluation year and next year is Judgment Day.

If they succeed next year, he’ll get extended unless a sure-fire candidate agrees to coach here behind the scenes.

Well...ok if the ocean boils and IU somehow finishes top 3 in BIG and makes SS in the dance without their best player and he lands a big class... he lives another year.

Buuuuuuuuuut

Reactions: TrojanFan004
What was plan B? If those guys don’t commit to IU, is Archie going to the HPER to grab some bodies or just roll with walk ons? I’m guessing the thinking was - take them now. Develop them and see if they can be here 4 years - very least- as a role player or they’ll leave on their own merit. Both came true. But I think re-recruiting them was better than having a walk on or a kid from the HPER.

Save them for next year.

But he ended up giving scholarships to Anderson and Jake F. the following year, so that probably wouldn't have worked either.

I didn’t think so. Coach Geez is working overtime to defend Miller, and he’s tripping over his feet.
I don't think I quoted you, I quoted Pledge. He was quite a bit off about how that off-season went.

It's weird though. Wright wasn't much different than Durham in high school. Slender three star kids with potential. Wright may not have worked out here the way he has in Colorado, even if he had come here.

APR handcuffed Archie for transfers. IU handcuffed Archie for Wright.

You're a liar concerning Wright, as has been documented on this thread. And I'll say it every time you repeat the lie.

As for transfers, that's been frequently said, again with no source. If you have a source for that claim, let us know who it is, or at least his/her position. Otherwise, I will assume you're lying again.

ok, he committed on his visit. Remember, he was supposed to be a Purdue lean, but they never offered. Wonder why?

Ummmm, Purdue did offer. He said he almost committed when he visited there, but held off in a story done by the Michigan site because Michigan had also offered and he wanted to check them out.

I don't think I quoted you, I quoted Pledge. He was quite a bit off about how that off-season went.

It's weird though. Wright wasn't much different than Durham in high school. Slender three star kids with potential. Wright may not have worked out here the way he has in Colorado, even if he had come here.

Yes....but at the time there were comments about Miller really liking Wright and really liking Henry. And we ended up with Durham & Anderson. It seemed at the time that we were getting the short end of the stick, but we assumed then that he knew what he was doing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT