ADVERTISEMENT

Impact transfer.

Cavanagh.13

Senior
Nov 6, 2019
Can really help in this league. One thing MI has done, and has been extremely understated, is Howard’s ability to land impact transfers.

Chaundee brown and Mike smith would be our starting backcourt. Mike smith would battle trace for PPG, but on MI is the 4th option.

Towns and CJ walker, again huge pieces to OSU.

Fitzner huge fail, brunk god bless him is a failure. Now we get a kid that looks to be exactly what the doctor ordered and he is in street clothes the entire year?

Huge coaching failures.

We had the chance to get Holtman. He didn’t really want OSU either. They just kept coming at him. That’s what it takes.

Another thing that is a huge failure regarding these transfers is that we have not one but 2 open scholarships.

Very poor roster management/recruiting has to be noted to Archie. Having two open spots 2 years in a row, and 2 years in a row having a middle of the pack below average team is a direct shot at coaching. Awful roster management.

Last edited:
Another thing that is a huge failure regarding these transfers is that we have not one but 2 open scholarships.

Very poor roster management/recruiting has to be noted to Archie. Having to open spots 2 years in a row, and 2 years in a row having a middle of the pack below average team is a direct shot at coaching. Awful roster management.

Could’ve landed 2 Grad Transfers and since Redshirts wouldn’t matter this season, this could’ve been a year where you tell Galloway and Lander, “just sit the bench the bench and learn.”

Can really help in this league. One thing MI has done, and has been extremely understated, is Howard’s ability to land impact transfers.

Chaundee brown and Mike smith would be our starting backcourt. Mike smith would battle trace for PPG, but on MI is the 4th option.

Fitzner huge fail, brunk god bless him is a failure. Now we get a kid that looks to be exactly what the doctor ordered and he is in street clothes the entire year?

Huge coaching failures.
Brunk a failure.?..I'd say with super confidence we have 3 more win's ..And are around a 7 seed..

It helped IU with Bielfeldt in 2016. He's the kind of player this year's team could use (well, that and a rock solid PG). We really haven't had much success in the Tx market since.

Last edited:
Didn’t APR issues handcuff this staff up until this year? Also - McKinley Wright would’ve been on today’s roster if the administration allowed it.

With everything behind them, Archie recognized recruiting was an issue. He hired Kenya. Who, so far, has brought in what is hopefully an impact transfer.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they go after two transfers this off-season - big man and a guard.

Let’s see how this plays out with all the crap behind them. Also - these are things Dolson uses to evaluate when making a decision. Hence why Archie will get one more year minimum.

Reactions: Hatchets7times

... and you didn't even mention Justice Sueing who is much more impactful than Towns..

Didn’t APR issues handcuff this staff up until this year? Also - McKinley Wright would’ve been on today’s roster if the administration allowed it.

With everything behind them, Archie recognized recruiting was an issue. He hired Kenya. Who, so far, has brought in what is hopefully an impact transfer.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they go after two transfers this off-season - big man and a guard.

Let’s see how this plays out with all the crap behind them. Also - these are things Dolson uses to evaluate when making a decision. Hence why Archie will get one more year minimum.
Allegedly, but that’s not been confirmed. And what if that was accurate? We weren’t tournament bound anyway. Fix the problem rather than putting bandaids on it. Miller missed that opportunity, though I think he’ll likely have plenty of time to try and fix things. There’s no pressure for him.

Huge coaching failures.

The system plays a role in not getting transfers — at least the ones that will make a difference. Most fifth years want to be showcased or contribute offensively. CAM will want them to play defense first.

There's always an excuse.... Crean's players, poor culture, administration, APR issues.... yadayadayada... Archie has had FOUR freaking years to see some W/L improvement.

There's always an excuse.... Crean's players, poor culture, administration, APR issues.... yadayadayada... Archie has had FOUR freaking years to see some W/L improvement.

And next year if TJD comes back - which follows Archie’s blueprint of get old and stay old - IU is top 3-4 in B1G easy.

We are old in the backcourt and that’s our Achilles heel

Parker Stewart and Armaan Franklin will take immense pressure off Phinisee/Lander. Both those guys hunt their shot and can score in a variety of ways. While Durham can score in spurts, he's still very hesitant attacking the basket and looking for his shot.

Reactions: 76-1

Put up or shut concerning the 1st paragraph. What is/are your source/sources?

Reactions: birdforbogey
Put up or shut concerning the 1st paragraph. What is/are your source/sources?

I don't know anything about APR issues, but there wasn't any scholarships available for McKinnley Wright when Archie took the job. Crean was oversigned by three and it took three players to leave for the draft for the three Crean recruits to even make it on campus. Grant Gelon transferred later earlier in the summer which allowed Race Thompson to reclassify and join the team midway through summer workouts.

I don't know anything about APR issues, but there wasn't any scholarships available for McKinnley Wright when Archie took the job. Crean was oversigned by three and it took three players to leave for the draft for the three Crean recruits to even make it on campus. Grant Gelon transferred later earlier in the summer which allowed Race Thompson to reclassify and join the team midway through summer workouts.

The APR issues are well documented. Because of the commitments, Archie had to honor them - regardless if he thought the player was any good. He EASILY would’ve made room for McKinley. Absolute no brainer. Hands were tied.

Parker Stewart and Armaan Franklin will take immense pressure off Phinisee/Lander. Both those guys hunt their shot and can score in a variety of ways. While Durham can score in spurts, he's still very hesitant attacking the basket and looking for his shot.
Wouldn’t surprise me at all if they add a guard this off-season. Armaan, Stewart, transfer + three freshman.

Will be interesting to see what Al and Rob decide.

The APR issues are well documented. Because of the commitments, Archie had to honor them - regardless if he thought the player was any good. He EASILY would’ve made room for McKinley. Absolute no brainer. Hands were tied.

I don't doubt it, just haven't seen anything to verify it. To make room for McKinnley or any other kind of immediate transfer Archie would have had to cut bait with some upperclassmen which would have had a negative impact on the APR. Just mystifying how Crean got away with oversigning so many recruits after already being snakebitten earlier by it in his career with Buss Patterson.

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if they add a guard this off-season. Armaan, Stewart, transfer + three freshman.

Will be interesting to see what Al and Rob decide.

I don't foresee Al back. He'll be pushed back in the rotation, a move back home to a school like Georgia State could be a nice fit. Would count on Rob being back. Still one of the top perimeter defenders in the B10 and with two competent guards alongside him, his passiveness to score is somewhat negated.

I don't doubt it, just haven't seen anything to verify it. To make room for McKinnley or any other kind of immediate transfer Archie would have had to cut bait with some upperclassmen which would have had a negative impact on the APR. Just mystifying how Crean got away with oversigning so many recruits after already being snakebitten earlier by it in his career with Buss Patterson.

He also could’ve told Clifton Moore that it wouldn’t be in his best interest to stay committed. But he couldn’t. Hands were tied.

I don't foresee Al back. He'll be pushed back in the rotation, a move back home to a school like Georgia State could be a nice fit. Would count on Rob being back. Still one of the top perimeter defenders in the B10 and with two competent guards alongside him, his passiveness to score is somewhat negated.

Yeah. I could see Al just moving on with his life. And Rob - who knows what he’ll feel with a potentially crowded backcourt.

Yeah. I could see Al just moving on with his life. And Rob - who knows what he’ll feel with a potentially crowded backcourt.

Stewart and Franklin will be the starting off guards next year. Unless Archie gets a solid PG transfer this offseason with immediate eligibility (I doubt it) someone has to start at PG. I suppose Lander could push Phinisee out but I've yet to see anything that leads me to believe this will happen. I'm fine with Phinisee at PG so long as he has two competent backcourt mates playing alongside him. That's rarely the case with Durham.

I think Lander will be a major player next year . He has taken his lumps this year as a young freshman , but with visits to the weight room , and a years experience he should be more than ready next year . The teams tempo really picks up when he is at point . He has turnovers , but that's because many of the passes he made in HS , don't get through at this level . Just wish IU had someone who could teach the fundamentals of shooting , as he needs a lot of work in that area .

I call bullshit.

People keep saying this, without ever naming a source, or even claiming that they have a source, then say "it's well documented"

Archie didn't have to re-recruit Durham or Moore, and it wouldn't have hurt our APR. Both players FORMALLY REQUESTED THEIR RELEASE, and Archie decided to re-recruit them.....at the same time Wright was decommitting from Dayton and committing to Colorado....in April 2017. It's all over the internet. Look it up. There is a story about how enthusiastically Archie pursued Al. You know, Like Damezi over Henry.

So I asked that you put up or shut up on this point, and you did neither.

Stewart and Franklin will be the starting off guards next year. Unless Archie gets a solid PG transfer this offseason with immediate eligibility (I doubt it) someone has to start at PG. I suppose Lander could push Phinisee out but I've yet to see anything that leads me to believe this will happen. I'm fine with Phinisee at PG so long as he has two competent backcourt mates playing alongside him. That's rarely the case with Durham.

You're fine with Phinisee at PG........good lord.

I call bullshit.

People keep saying this, without ever naming a source, or even claiming that they have a source, then say "it's well documented"

Archie didn't have to re-recruit Durham or Moore, and it wouldn't have hurt our APR. Both players FORMALLY REQUESTED THEIR RELEASE, and Archie decided to re-recruit them.....at the same time Wright was decommitting from Dayton and committing to Colorado....in April 2017. It's all over the internet. Look it up. There is a story about how enthusiastically Archie pursued Al. You know, Like Damezi over Henry.

So I asked that you put up or shut up on this point, and you did neither.

Next time you use Google, if you know how, look up Indiana APR issues. Look what happened at the end of CTCs tenure. Then look up how APR affects things.

Here’s a start for you buddy: https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2019/05/iu-basketballs-multi-year-apr-score-sees-modest-rise/

Reactions: Radio Zero
You're fine with Phinisee at PG........good lord.

I'm fine with Phinisee at PG so long as he's surrounded by competent talent. Look at CJ Walker at Ohio State. Both Phinisee and CJ Walker are nearly identical offensive players. ~7-8ppg career scorers, 2:1 assist to turnover ratio's. Neither are efficient shooters and both shoot low 30% from 3. Phinisee is a far superior defender than Walker. Really the only difference between Walker and Phinisee is that one guy has Duane Washington and Justice Sueing as backcourt mates and the other Al Durham and sophomore Franklin whose been off and on with a lingering ankle injury. Is anyone going to argue with CJ Walker's offensive issues as the starting PG for the #5 team in the country?

Been living in Dayton since 1982. It was reported here that Wright told Archie Miller that he sought to follow Archie to IU. Archie Miller told him that that was not going to happen. Happened relatively quickly after Miller got the coaching hire at IU. My feeling at the time was that because Archie told Wright that he was recruited to UD that he should stay at UD. The feeling I got was that Archie didn't want to steal from UD. But, hindsight, I just do not know.

I'm fine with Phinisee at PG so long as he's surrounded by competent talent. Look at CJ Walker at Ohio State. Both Phinisee and CJ Walker are nearly identical offensive players. ~7-8ppg career scorers, 2:1 assist to turnover ratio's. Neither are efficient shooters and both shoot low 30% from 3. Phinisee is a far superior defender than Walker. Really the only difference between Walker and Phinisee is that one guy has Duane Washington and Justice Sueing as backcourt mates and the other Al Durham and sophomore Franklin whose been off and on with a lingering ankle injury. Is anyone going to argue with CJ Walker's offensive issues as the starting PG for the #5 team in the country?
I've got to agree with MushroomGod here. Phinesee isn't competitive on offense. And he slows the offense down when he cannot dribble penetrate or distribute early. Critical stuff. I have cheered him on. But it just isn't where IU needs to be at PG.

Next time you use Google, if you know how, look up Indiana APR issues. Look what happened at the end of CTCs tenure. Then look up how APR affects things.

Here’s a start for you buddy: https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2019/05/iu-basketballs-multi-year-apr-score-sees-modest-rise/

I know we had APR issues dumbass. But not re-recruiting Durham or Moore, and signing Wright, would not have affected the APR. APR measures retention of ENROLLED students.

Well. Agree to disagree. Other teams will fall off, so by attrition- they’ll move up. And guys will get better. Iowa, Wisky, and ILL will all look different next year

No, it doesn't work that way.
OSU and Michigan turned over quite a lot from last year. Illinois added 2 key top freshmen, Iowa brought the whole team back and healthy. Three different styles. All have worked pretty well.

Northwestern and Nebraska can be matched to those above but it has not worked out.

Miller has proven to be a poor offensive coach and rather average as a recruiter. His guys can't shoot and he doesn't have any pure shooters like Hornsby, Roth, or Vaden to repair the problem.

I've got to agree with MushroomGod here. Phinesee isn't competitive on offense. And he slows the offense down when he cannot dribble penetrate or distribute early. Critical stuff. I have cheered him on. But it just isn't where IU needs to be at PG.

More than entitled to your own opinion. Phinisee should be better as a junior than what he is now. But his poor play has been magnified with Durham and inconsistent Franklin playing alongside him. He's still one of the better perimeter defenders in the B10 and can be an effective PG with competent help. Playing alongside someone like Sueing and Duane Washington will make any PG look good. Phinisee doesn't have that luxury.

Been living in Dayton since 1982. It was reported here that Wright told Archie Miller that he sought to follow Archie to IU. Archie Miller told him that that was not going to happen. Happened relatively quickly after Miller got the coaching hire at IU. My feeling at the time was that because Archie told Wright that he was recruited to UD that he should stay at UD. The feeling I got was that Archie didn't want to steal from UD. But, hindsight, I just do not know.

That's possible, and that's the sense I had of it at the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT