ADVERTISEMENT

I'm to old school.... but how is this......

Correct me if I am wrong, but the rule says anytime the ball comes to rest in your hand, you have picked up your dribble.( paraphrased)
They just don’t seem to call it anymore.

Honestly..... they could literally call it anytime players are standing near the center court and waiting on the clock to wind down. They aren't making a basketball move.....which is why they don't call it..... but just watch the ball and their hand... they move their hand to the 5 o'clock position underneath the ball... then roll it over to dribble one time... then catch it at the 5 position and roll it again. Although they are standing still and not moving... it's rolling the ball over in their hand.

If they called games like they did in my generation every team would commit 20-30 turnovers per game at least. Traveling, palming or carrying, changing pivot feet, the Euro hop skip & jump, and as much time in the lane as you want have to be called leniently these days or the games would not be fan-friendly.

In the mid-90s with rating flagging the NBA came to realize young viewers (not me) liked loud, fast, MTV style viewing. And they found it in Allen Iverson’s quickness. But he couldn’t do it playing by the rules (small hands?) so they quit enforcing the rules. And ever since the game is faster with more dunks and less basketball.

If they called games like they did in my generation every team would commit 20-30 turnovers per game at least. Traveling, palming or carrying, changing pivot feet, the Euro hop skip & jump, and as much time in the lane as you want have to be called leniently these days or the games would not be fan-friendly.

This is exactly why I like to watch girls high school basketball. It's the closest I've seen to our Generation Spirito76.

Hopefully high school ball can stay immune for several more years. The IU women's team this year should have tutored the men on free throw shooting.
I scrimmaged against a couple of varsity women years/decades ago and they were fundamentally solid; no turnovers, good position on defense, hit open shots and free throws. The obvious difference was vertical jump and lateral quickness.

Hopefully high school ball can stay immune for several more years. The IU women's team this year should have tutored the men on free throw shooting.
I scrimmaged against a couple of varsity women years/decades ago and they were fundamentally solid; no turnovers, good position on defense, hit open shots and free throws. The obvious difference was vertical jump and lateral quickness.
They could have tutored them on free throw shooting, feeding the post, effort and so on. Looking forward to watching the women play tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT