ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Glock9

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
When I saw CJ shoot the ball for the first time, I was very impressed. His shot was something I hadn't seen in a long time. I guessed his average release was somewhere around 8.5-9ft. So much lift, high release point. Just didn't go in....

Gunn never had a game where he hit his first three, hell he only hit 2. Seeing that first one go in is the difference for a lot of freshmen. He just didn't get it going, but he has all the tools.

At 6'6 and a high motor, Gunn needs to put in work this summer. He needs 15lbs, a lot of work on ball handling, and that three better be dropping with regularity by September. Man I loved his aggressiveness on D when he did play, that is going to get better and better. No reason why CJ cant be a great wing for us next year. Sophomore jump, yes please.

When I saw CJ shoot the ball for the first time, I was very impressed. Hi shot was something I hadn't seen in a long time. I guessed his average release was somewhere around 8.5-9ft. So much lift, high release point. Just didn't go in....

Gunn never had a game where he hit his first three (that meant anything), hell he only hit 2 and they both came in mop up minutes at the end of the game. Unless he hit it one early when we got steam rolled by PSU, (blacked that one out of my memory). Seeing that first one go in is the difference for a lot of freshmen. He just didn't get it going, but he has all the tools.

At 6'6 and a high motor, Gunn needs to put in work this summer. He needs 15lbs, a lot of work on ball handling, and that three better be dropping with regularity by September. Man I loved his aggressiveness on D when he did play, that is going to get better and better. No reason why CJ cant be a great wing for us next year. Sophomore jump, yes please.
Please don’t curse him with your hype, like you did with Bates. We really need Gunn to be a player next year.

When I saw CJ shoot the ball for the first time, I was very impressed. Hi shot was something I hadn't seen in a long time. I guessed his average release was somewhere around 8.5-9ft. So much lift, high release point. Just didn't go in....

Gunn never had a game where he hit his first three, hell he only hit 2. Seeing that first one go in is the difference for a lot of freshmen. He just didn't get it going, but he has all the tools.

He was a pretty good shooter in HS and AAU. I think CJ is a kid that likely needs extended minutes to get in to the flow of the game. Those minutes are obviously more available this next year. If he gets them, I'm sure his shooting will come around nicely. I don't think its wild optimism to think that he and/or Jakai will be good, productive wings for us this next year.

His reach is 8.5-9 feet. The kid has the athleticism to get his shot off over anyone. I hope he figures it out and has a great year for us.
I just want to see someone work like hell over the summer, him or Banks really have a huge opportunity. Unless some big transfers come up, or a guy de-commits, we aren't going to get anyone that is going to be for sure better than these guys.

When I saw CJ shoot the ball for the first time, I was very impressed. His shot was something I hadn't seen in a long time. I guessed his average release was somewhere around 8.5-9ft. So much lift, high release point. Just didn't go in....

His form is fine. Someone in another thread pointed out that maybe he elevates too much on his jump shot. Was never my problem as I couldn't jump like that. Get Jordy to work with him over the summer, we need him.

But, is he better than Romeo?

• Love
Reactions: Lucy01

I was incredibly impressed with how aggressively Gunn guarded as a freshman. I did not know he was that type of defender. Now he did not have the strength/body to do it at an elite level, but if he adds weight this offseason he could be a good defender. I am excited for him and Banks. It would be great if one of them showed up ready next year.

Should CJ turn out to be a strong wing defender and perimeter scorer IU won’t need the portal firepower some pine for.

Why didn't Rivals and 247 like him more out of HS? He was 178 on 247 and NR on Rivals. Recruited by Butler, Iowa, Kansas St, Cincy level programs. Now he's being looked on as a savior after hitting 2 3s the whole year.

Why didn't Rivals and 247 like him more out of HS? He was 178 on 247 and NR on Rivals. Recruited by Butler, Iowa, Kansas St, Cincy level programs. Now he's being looked on as a savior after hitting 2 3s the whole year.
If we are depending on a guy who hardly played to be a savior we are in big trouble next year.

Reactions: JBT Assoc
CJ played in short spurts and appeared to force things to get a shot off asap. Needs to let his game come to him with patience and I think he will see success.

I was incredibly impressed with how aggressively Gunn guarded as a freshman. I did not know he was that type of defender. Now he did not have the strength/body to do it at an elite level, but if he adds weight this offseason he could be a good defender. I am excited for him and Banks. It would be great if one of them showed up ready next year.
I must have missed all of the games where he played the stellar D you speak of. He looked clueless to me and committed lots of dumb fouls. All I saw was a kid who wanted to celebrate after he made a 3 and that rarely happened. I sincerely hope this was just a freshmen who needs some time to adapt to college ball. The talent appears to be there and hopefully his head can catch up with his body.

You haven't seen it because not many great jump shooters elevate like that shooting from distance. Great shooters are great because their stroke is repeatable, and if you're jumping that high during your shot, there are a myriad of things that can throw you off. The only "great" shooter I can think of who I thought elevated a lot on his shot was Ray Allen. Jordan certainly could, but he didn't on his 3s.

I could drive a golf ball a mile 1 in 10 times if I stepped into it, but there's a reason no one does. Same with baseball. They sacrifice power for a repeatable swing and I do think he might be elevating too much on his shot.

I must have missed all of the games where he played the stellar D you speak of. He looked clueless to me and committed lots of dumb fouls. All I saw was a kid who wanted to celebrate after he made a 3 and that rarely happened. I sincerely hope this was just a freshmen who needs some time to adapt to college ball. The talent appears to be there and hopefully his head can catch up with his body.
I liked how he looked on D too. He just was very aggressive and didn't seem to get out of position like a lot of freshmen do. I think he's going to be a very good defender and honestly, I think I'd have tried to convince him to stop shooting so much and get him more minutes after XJ went down, because we needed more quickness on the perimeter defensively after that, and CJ looked to me like he might be able to provide that.

You haven't seen it because not many great jump shooters elevate like that shooting from distance. Great shooters are great because their stroke is repeatable, and if you're jumping that high during your shot, there are a myriad of things that can throw you off. The only "great" shooter I can think of who I thought elevated a lot on his shot was Ray Allen. Jordan certainly could, but he didn't on his 3s.

I could drive a golf ball a mile 1 in 10 times if I stepped into it, but there's a reason no one does. Same with baseball. They sacrifice power for a repeatable swing and I do think he might be elevating too much on his shot.
This was actually something Jordan had to correct to improve his shooting. Worth taking a look at for CJ.

Who is looking at him to be a savior?

Reactions: Al Bino

CJ elevates a lot on his mid range and turn around jumpers. On his 3s from when watching in HS are not nearly as elevated

Reactions: kkott
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT