ADVERTISEMENT

I'll be happy with the Bucket.

4-8, Bucket win, and I won't complain.

Is it bad my expectations keep dropping?
I don’t know if it’s a bad thing; it’s completely understandable, however.

It only took four years of Archie Miller to have the buffoons on the hoops forum celebrating a tournament *play-in* game, after all. We IU football fans — all four dozen of us regulars on this forum — are reckoning with *lifetimes* of this sort of bullshit.

As for me, no expectations anymore. I’m 50, and I got to see Coach Mallory’s teams. I doubt I’ll ever see anything approaching that again.

Beat Purdue, of course, and I guess.

It's at home and Purdue is not really that good. We have a shot.

Outside a miracle, I think PU will spank us. We won't be able to stop them and if they are playing for the JV championship, ALL of the motivation will be on their side.

It would cost Purdue the Big Ten West title too, assuming Iowa loses in Minneapolis this week.

Although I don't think Purdue wants to play OSU.

It would cost Purdue the Big Ten West title too, assuming Iowa loses in Minneapolis this week.

Although I don't think Purdue wants to play OSU.
the team playing Ahia or Mich in Indy will claim the title of Fifth best team in the league.

Reactions: DANC
IU is going to have to put forth some kind of an offense and limit mistakes: if they can do this, it will be a ball game and anything can happen in a Bucket game. PU appears to be mediocre and competent, which very well may be enough. PU has 2 more losses if they play OSU and UM this year. I believe Brohm has only faced Michigan one time and Penn State twice at PU.

Last edited:
The JV teams would beat the hell out of IU’s pee-wee football program.

Divisions don’t matter when you are the absolute worst school of 14. Don’t believe that? 1-17.
JV Schedule would allow for some breathing at least. My real point is that even a big time coach would take a long time to turn this around with this insane schedule.

Reactions: outlawyer and DANC
You’re an *IU* fan and you’re talking shit about how awful the Big Ten West is … love it.

We’d be bottom feeders over there, too.

Did he say we wouldn't be bottom feeders? No he didn't. He said the fifth best team in BT will be playing OSU or Mich. It's a true statement and had nothing to do with IU.

Reactions: DANC
Did he say we wouldn't be bottom feeders? No he didn't. He said the fifth best team in BT will be playing OSU or Mich. It's a true statement and had nothing to do with IU.
Quite right, but if we’re going to do strict reading of posts, observe that my second sentence is also my second paragraph: a new thought.

I addressed what he wrote in the first.

Defending our results by demeaning the West Division isn’t credible and never has been.

Reactions: Radio Zero
That (5th) is simply a fact.
But my real point is how impossible it is the get much traction with this schedule.

if TA had JBs schedule the discussion right now would likely be very different.

I am not excusing TAs performance in the least, just putting it in context.

Sorry but developing a program is obviously much easier when you have breathing room on your schedule. Your program has been a direct beneficiary of this.
We have the unfortunate task of having to play OSU, UM, PSU and MSU every season, along with an improving Rutgers and Maryland. It’s a tough stretch for us but that’s what we get. Denigrating the West doesn’t make us any better or help us build a program. If you follow the BiG, this isn’t difficult to discern.

We have the unfortunate task of having to play OSU, UM, PSU and MSU every season, along with an improving Rutgers and Maryland. It’s a tough stretch for us but that’s what we get. Denigrating the West doesn’t make us any better or help us build a program. If you follow the BiG, this isn’t difficult to discern.
Lol. Ok Ordy. Wink wink

IU is going to have to put forth some kind of an offense and limit mistakes: if they can do this, it will be a ball game and anything can happen in a Bucket game. PU appears to be mediocre and competent, which very well may be enough. PU has 2 more losses if they play OSU and UM this year. I believe Brohm has only faced Michigan one time and Penn State twice at PU.
That's amazing and it is precisely why these divisions are a complete sham. Purdue gets to build an 8 win type of program because they routinely dodge the big dogs.

Play UM, OSU, and PSU every year and they suddenly are looking at 5 wins if they're lucky.

That's amazing and it is precisely why these divisions are a complete sham. Purdue gets to build an 8 win type of program because they routinely dodge the big dogs.

Play UM, OSU, and PSU every year and they suddenly are looking at 5 wins if they're lucky.
Has been a huge advantage for them and creates an environment where a staff can more quickly develop a program to the mid- league level. Helps with recruiting and attendance as well.

Lol. Ok Ordy. Wink wink
Just trying to explain to you the issues connected to IU football, my alma mater and the program I’ve followed for decades. Thought that was as clear as the advantages we enjoyed in 2020, which have now been validated, as several of us knew they would be.

Has been a huge advantage for them and creates an environment where a staff can more quickly develop a program to the mid- league level. Helps with recruiting and attendance as well.
That….and Brohm is a good coach.
If you put Opie over there, he’d have the program right where it is now. When are you going to admit that Allen is an awful football head coach who has zero business leading a P5 program?
All these other factors are brought up and they are real, but they don’t explain the complete mismanagement and ineptitude he has brought on the program. I’m not even talking wins or losses. Tackling. Not getting plays in. Terrible hires. Development of players. Not getting rid of poor performing friends. What do any of those attributes have to do with being in the West or East?

Reactions: BoilerN and kmathum
That….and Brohm is a good coach.
If you put Opie over there, he’d have the program right where it is now. When are you going to admit that Allen is an awful football head coach who has zero business leading a P5 program?
All these other factors are brought up and they are real, but they don’t explain the complete mismanagement and ineptitude he has brought on the program. I’m not even talking wins or losses. Tackling. Not getting plays in. Terrible hires. Development of players. Not getting rid of poor performing friends. What do any of those attributes have to do with being in the West or East?
Hard to understand why some keep defending this level of underperformance. Mind boggling.

Having read all the arguments about schedules here. I have to say...

1. Building a program is much easier in the West. There is no argument against that. None.

2. INDIANA should still win 6 even in the East. We play Maryland, Rutgers and Purdue and 1 other West team every year. 3 easy Noncon and 3 B1G games is not a lot to ask for.

That (5th) is simply a fact.
But my real point is how impossible it is the get much traction with this schedule.

if TA had JBs schedule the discussion right now would likely be very different.

I am not excusing TAs performance in the least, just putting it in context.
Who are you putting ahead of the west winner? Osu, um, psu then???? Big ten is a 2 team conference. Always has been. Can complain about divisions, but it's 2 teams and the rest. West is easier at the top yes, but it's osu and um's conference. Nothing else matters. I think Purdue has the same record if Purdue and iu swapped schedules.

Who are you putting ahead of the west winner? Osu, um, psu then???? Big ten is a 2 team conference. Always has been. Can complain about divisions, but it's 2 teams and the rest. West is easier at the top yes, but it's osu and um's conference. Nothing else matters. I think Purdue has the same record if Purdue and iu swapped schedules.
So, not playing OSU and UM makes a difference: agreed. PU would have 2 more losses.

Reactions: kmathum
So, not playing OSU and UM makes a difference: agreed. PU would have 2 more losses.
You can't assume osu beats Purdue. Lol but that wasn't my point. Point was it's 2 teams and everyone else. East is top heavy. West is probably deeper though. Maybe not quite as much this year, but in years past. That's how you end up with an almost .500 head to head record. Divisions are going away in a couple years though. They aren't the reason iu missing a bowl though.

I sure can: UM and OSU are better programs than PU, and there is no way PU beats them this year.
Osu has been better than Purdue each of the last 10 times they played. But I do agree. Purdue isn't beating either this year. Both will probably make the playoff and both will get the crap beat out of them by Georgia.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT