ADVERTISEMENT

If there was ever a time to remodel our brand

IuGrad94

Newcomer
Mar 25, 2017
...it's now.
Believe me, I'm all for tradition, and I deeply respect IU's decision to NOT put players' names on the back of jerseys.
But, as most of us have been saying for the past 20 years, kids today want the best gear and alternative jerseys and such. I'm not saying to wear fatigues or be the next Baylor or Oregon, but let's cater a bit toward what 18-21 year-old kids think is stylish.
Let's start from scratch with Archie. Move students down low in Assembly Hall (I know, probably not happening), schedule tough, update unis a bit.
Just my thought.

Reactions: IUFather
...it's now.
Believe me, I'm all for tradition, and I deeply respect IU's decision to NOT put players' names on the back of jerseys.
But, as most of us have been saying for the past 20 years, kids today want the best gear and alternative jerseys and such. I'm not saying to wear fatigues or be the next Baylor or Oregon, but let's cater a bit toward what 18-21 year-old kids think is stylish.
Let's start from scratch with Archie. Move students down low in Assembly Hall (I know, probably not happening), schedule tough, update unis a bit.
Just my thought.
So, would you be willing to cut student seating allocation significantly in exchange for moving them lower?

...it's now.
Just my thought.
I'm hoping we just concentrate on playing basketball and quit using words like "brand" and "culture" or any other corp speak drivel to describe our program.

...it's now.
Just my thought.
The students already have seats down low as part of their giant section. Tell them to stop leaving seats empty if they want more and to displace the fans that pay $10,000+ for court level seats.

Also, I couldn't care less if we put names on the jerseys, but I can already tell you that's not happening.

Fortunately, football can experiment with unis, which I like.

...it's now.
Just my thought.

In my opinion the brand is fine. IU just needs to win. The alternate uniforms have been well-received and tastefully done. The past few years the Adidas uniforms for the NCAA tournament have been awful looking. IU doesn't need that.

With regard to the student section, the students organized and took it to the administration which acted on their request for the main level student section. They need to do their part and consistently show up. Not that I blame them for not getting excited about Houston Baptist or Mississippi Valley St., but that will soon change.

Reactions: mk23 and largemouth
"Brand" and "culture" are legit, if you know what you're talking about. Just cuz you don't . . . .:p:p

Yea, Erik Prince used those words when he bought a company I worked at and drove it under. I know very well they're just cheap cliche' lies underlying a greed filled agenda.

Never assume....

Yea, Erik Prince used those words when he bought a company I worked at and drove it under. I know very well they're just cheap cliche' lies underlying a greed filled agenda.

Never assume....

Like I said . . . and if that's your source I'm not surprised . . . .

Fortunately, football can experiment with unis, which I like.
I wish football would decide what they want to go with and be done with it. They change uni's more often than I change my drawers.

Reactions: mk23
I wish football would decide what they want to go with and be done with it. They change uni's more often than I change my drawers.
I get that, but I personally love it. I think it's fun. Plus as long as they keeping winning some games, everything seems more fun. VBG

There are things I would like to see changed. But names on the Uni's and the student section aren't them.

Allowing headbands, shooting sleeves and whatever hairstyle our players damn well choose would be something we could all get behind though.

Like I said . . . and if that's your source I'm not surprised . . . .

Yea, my source is working in a class A truck manufacturing plant as a process and materials engineer for over 20 years. For me, every time I hear those words or any other corp speak, it points to an incompetent unimaginative leader and bald faced liar.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
How about we don't dress our cheerleaders like it's 1957 anymore? Turtlenecks? I'm not saying they have to be knockouts like UCLA, Oregon, and USC (those three are the VARSITY)....but let them show a little midriff and some more skin and tighter clothes.
Again, I'm all for "tradition," but you have to keep up with the times. Give the youngsters what they want. This isn't Hickory in the movie Hoosiers.

How about we don't dress our cheerleaders like it's 1957 anymore? Turtlenecks? I'm not saying they have to be knockouts like UCLA, Oregon, and USC (those three are the VARSITY)....but let them show a little midriff and some more skin and tighter clothes.
Again, I'm all for "tradition," but you have to keep up with the times. Give the youngsters what they want. This isn't Hickory in the movie Hoosiers.

...it's now.
Just my thought.
How about starting by getting rid of the big heads under the basket that are suppose to bother foul shooters of the opposing team. Don't burn them, set them out by Tom's garage door if he doesn't answer the door bell.

...it's now.
Just my thought.
Stop.

So, would you be willing to cut student seating allocation significantly in exchange for moving them lower?
That is a very good question. I haven't read thru to the bottom of the thread yet, but this should be interesting.

I'm in favor of anything that helps us get the most talented recruits/wins/titles.
Anything ... or things within the NCAA rules? :)

I know what you meant, just want to make sure that everyone is on the same page.

How about starting by getting rid of the big heads under the basket that are suppose to bother foul shooters of the opposing team. Don't burn them, set them out by Tom's garage door if he doesn't answer the door bell.
Why would this possibly bother anyone? Honestly. They're still going to scream and wave their arms anyway. There's nothing offensive about them, and it's fun. If you don't want to participate, don't sit there and take one.

Why would this possibly bother anyone? Honestly. They're still going to scream and wave their arms anyway. There's nothing offensive about them, and it's fun. If you don't want to participate, don't sit there and take one.
Yes Sir !!!!! almighty one SALUTE

Reactions: jacsmi
Not saying we put all students on the floor like Cameron Indoor, but, yes, cut back some student seats if that means moving them closer to the floor and maximizing our home-court advantage.
I know, I know...it's about the $$. Pipe dream.

I'm hoping we just concentrate on playing basketball and quit using words like "brand" and "culture" or any other corp speak drivel to describe our program.
Reading this was a real treat. Thank you for the excellent input. I think Archie agrees. Let's go win some meaningful games instead of focusing on milking every cent out of the program. I can attest to such unhealthy rhetoric. I work at a large airplane manufacturing company in Seattle (hint: it's not Airbus).

Reactions: T.M.P.
Keep the traditions and bring in some new ideas as well. I'd prefer no names on the jerseys and to keep the candy stripes. Other than that, we need to go to under armor or Nike when our addidas deal is done. That alone would make an immediate difference in recruiting.

There's not much else to change imo

Reactions: mk23 and IuGrad94
The New York Yankees still wear pinstripes.... You know why? It's called tradition.
Don't hate it, you will understand it as you mature.
It's not a Yankees endorsement, it's a tradition/respect.
Pro scouts don't need names on jerseys to know who they came to watch. If they did then they should be fired.

As far as moving the students closer and giving up a few bleacher seats. I'm all for it. But don't mess with the names on the jerseys.
I'd be ok with giving you all a sideline opposite side of the benches. But convince IU to let the kids suffocate the media sideline. You got my vote.

You keep the same amount of balcony seats, give up some bleacher seats. Give take deal.

...it's now.
Just my thought.

I wouldn't care one way or another if we changed some things, but do you really think the jerseys are a detriment? Alabama football has really plain traditional jerseys and I think they're doing OK. I just want to see results on the floor I couldn't care less what they're wearing. Also, I'm sure Adidas loads the guys up with the best gear available. I'd like to here some suggestions on uni changes. You just saying add names and give them a different cut?

Last edited:
I know that IU just recently signed a contract with adidas, but the best remodel they could do would be a switch to Nike. I think in today's world of AAU, shoe contracts, etc. wearing Adidas is a detriment to recruiting

Reactions: Indiana George
The New York Yankees still wear pinstripes.... You know why? It's called tradition.
Don't hate it, you will understand it as you mature.
It's not a Yankees endorsement, it's a tradition/respect.
Pro scouts don't need names on jerseys to know who they came to watch. If they did then they should be fired.
Um, I have had New York Yankees season tickets for 35 years, so I know about tradition. Here's some advice: Try reading comprehension, and stop worrying about my maturity.

I work with high school kids as an AD.
Yes, they care about jerseys. The cut/style is a lot more important than the names on the back, but that would help, too. This isn't the Yankees, where they are getting paid.
IU is stuck in the 1980's (50s?) on a few things. Evolve or get left behind. That's just the way it is.

Reactions: Indiana George
Don't touch the home uniforms. Do whatever you want for the road uniforms. No stripped pants for road games? Fine. Names on jersey for road games? Fine.

I'm indifferent on student seating. I've yet to hear anyone say that the environment inside AH is anything other than great or one of the most intimidating, etc.

There was a guy named Myles who remodeled our Brand. How'd that work out?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT