ADVERTISEMENT

Ideas to keep fans in seats all game long....

We don't get down for too many games but if we do we stay the whole time. I wouldn't drive all the way down there just to do that. I have more issues with playing the team scheduled this Friday. I might go if it looks to be competitive but I have no interest in spending money to see that game.

The students cycle out every 4 years so I think that culture could change but I don't know how you get the adults to stay, and why IU is different in that regard than other schools, other than the losing culture.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and TMFT
Anyone know what their schools do about this? I have seen games on TV that get pretty sparse after half. Maybe it is the way it is. Only the really good teams that are involved in good games get fans to stay?

Maybe some bonus priority points for alumni and better bball seats for students helps a little, but probably not much.

In the end people have to believe the team can win and that the games matter for a bowl or something like that. That’s fundamentally why people want to be in the stadium. Two good years and attendance started to pick up a bit in 2021 (could have been a post-Covid bump admittedly). People started to believe that team could do something... but of course they went 2-10.

Fan support is bad and realistically at best it could improve to mediocre. People in Indiana like football, and IU admissions doesn’t seek out bad fans. But 30 years of very bad football does condition people to not believe in the program and it takes time to undo that.

No one shows up to watch teams that lose like IU has. Nebraska, one of the best football fanbases, sputtered in the 2010s and their attendance fell 20%. For some of their meaningless games their stadium was about 60% full. With fans there are some differences across the country, but at their core they're are pretty similar in terms of what they show up to support.

Last edited:
I figure that, if I paid for the ticket, I'm watching the whole game. I don't go to games as often as I used to, but my thoughts toward the end of the games were often related to how bad traffic was going to be in regard to leaving the parking lots. I imagine that, if the games aren't close (and maybe when they are close), many people are just trying to beat traffic and make their escape for the long drive home.
Traffic is chaos before and especially after the game

We scored 10.
We could have scored 100 and our students wouldn’t stay. But I am in the minority here in that I think our student base just sucks overall. They did it in basketball as well. The only reason they don’t do it more often there is it’s in the dead of winter. The students at IU don’t get into sports like kids at other schools. Part of that is the university in that they have never had anything coordinated for students. If you go to other stadiums and basketball arenas, they have true student sections with routines and rituals. You don’t ever see that at IU and it shouldn’t be that way for a school this size. The shirt thing they did for the students on Saturday was perhaps the very first time in a long time that they tried to coordinate something.
Forgot that last minute TD. They stay to the end of all the big basketball games and I think they will for football when it’s a big game and it’s close or we are winning.

Whether your suggestions have merit or not the availability of pass outs make them ineffective util a policy change is enacted.
Eliminating pass outs is not going to keep the people that leave early from continuing to do so. They leave for a reason and don't stop to scan their ticket.

The problem isn't with the student or the rest of the crowd. It's both groups. Maybe it is the crappy traffic control that traps you in the lots? It's nice to stay until the end. The traffic has cleared by the end of the game because people have left. We can be on 465 less than 10 minutes after we get to our car for the 500, but Bloomington hasn't figured how to make all lanes one way away from the stadium after the game.

The grass lot was empty Saturday after the game, so people weren't leaving to party there. Our lot had also packed up.

One thing I would do is get rid of the boring things they do during timeouts. I think it was when we played at Cincy that we commented that the timeouts were actually fun. The game sucked, but the atmosphere was fun. Bring in a performer and give the band halftime off.

Or, we could just win some big games and score a bunch of points.

Eliminating pass outs is not going to keep the people that leave early from continuing to do so. They leave for a reason and don't stop to scan their ticket.

The problem isn't with the student or the rest of the crowd. It's both groups. Maybe it is the crappy traffic control that traps you in the lots? It's nice to stay until the end. The traffic has cleared by the end of the game because people have left. We can be on 465 less than 10 minutes after we get to our car for the 500, but Bloomington hasn't figured how to make all lanes one way away from the stadium after the game.

The grass lot was empty Saturday after the game, so people weren't leaving to party there. Our lot had also packed up.

One thing I would do is get rid of the boring things they do during timeouts. I think it was when we played at Cincy that we commented that the timeouts were actually fun. The game sucked, but the atmosphere was fun. Bring in a performer and give the band halftime off.

Or, we could just win some big games and score a bunch of points.
How was the grass lot parking last week as far as the impact of splitting it into two and having two entrances vs last year funneling everyone into a single entrance?

Getting into it last year was a nightmare.

How was the grass lot parking last week as far as the impact of splitting it into two and having two entrances vs last year funneling everyone into a single entrance?

Getting into it last year was a nightmare.
No line at all getting into the grass lots when they opened at 9am. Really won’t be able to tell effectiveness of the system until there is a large crowd at a noon game - maybe Maryland or Nebraska games.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
No line at all getting into the grass lots when they opened at 9am. Really won’t be able to tell effectiveness of the system until there is a large crowd at a noon game - maybe Maryland or Nebraska games.
Noon kicks suck

Reactions: vesuvius13
The traffic has cleared by the end of the game because people have left.
Traffic shouldn't be as much of an issue as it is with our "modest" crowds and a stadium next to a four lane road and 1.5 miles from a highway. I would guess getting more aggressive with temporary one ways for 45-60 min post-game would help -- basically this is how Speedway manages to get to the crowd out after the 500. A better, unbroken flow of cars to I-69 would help quite a bit.

That said, I doubt there are any changes with traffic control, they're pretty set in their ways.

Forgot that last minute TD. They stay to the end of all the big basketball games and I think they will for football when it’s a big game and it’s close or we are winning.
We tend to leave a MBB game with 2-3 min to go if we are up or down by seven points or more. If they are up I assume they will win and if they lose, I don't want to sit there and watch them lose. I can count the number of come from behind wins I have missed over the past twenty five years on one hand.

We are buried in the lot and can take 40 minutes to get out on a buzzer beater. At 2:30 left (with the time outs) we can listen to the ending with greatest radio guy in the history of the game while heading for or on 69.

I am one of those bad fans that has held IUMBB back.

That’s another issue both in football and basketball. It seems like we have a problem , more so than other schools I’ve visited, getting people in and out.
Turns out sports fans refuse to support woke administrations. Get rid of Buckner, Woodson, and Dolson and bring in some real pipe hitters and things will improve immensely but never until.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
I am sure this has been discussed many, many times, but Cig noted it in his post-game comments. So what can be done?

Some (maybe dumb) ideas.

1) Turn in ticket with 5 min left in game or after for free IU gear.

2) Free or discounted food in the 4th quarter.

3) Optionally, you can have your ticket scanned when leaving to accumulate points to use for better seats next season, apply points for basketball season, or other gear.

Probably some logistical issues with some of them.

What say you?
Looks like we need to get them in the seats first. Pitiful

We tend to leave a MBB game with 2-3 min to go if we are up or down by seven points or more. If they are up I assume they will win and if they lose, I don't want to sit there and watch them lose. I can count the number of come from behind wins I have missed over the past twenty five years on one hand.

We are buried in the lot and can take 40 minutes to get out on a buzzer beater. At 2:30 left (with the time outs) we can listen to the ending with greatest radio guy in the history of the game while heading for or on 69.

I am one of those bad fans that has held IUMBB back.
I’ve got a new routine I did really well with last year. I park very close to the exit and farther from SSAH. For a close game, I leave my seat at a time out with a minute or so to go. I watch the end at one of the exits right by the entrance. I’ll stay to the end if we are going to win, and leave as soon as it’s obvious we can’t. Even if I stay until the end, I fast walk to car and can get to 69 in a breeze. With the road improvement, I’ll be home even quicker this year.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Turns out sports fans refuse to support woke administrations. Get rid of Buckner, Woodson, and Dolson and bring in some real pipe hitters and things will improve immensely but never until.
Sure that’s it. Lol cuckoo.. just curious, is it the traffic directors , the cops, or who exactly is woke here that’s messing up traffic?

Polka?

John Candy is there?

Cool

BTW, I looked at the video you linked and it looks like 150 fans stayed to dance the polka

Here is what Wisky fans do well...they make killer brats at the tailgates and they hit the bars.
Yeah, I'm not saying everyone stays for the 5th Quarter, just saying it is something they do that is fun. A large portion of people stay pretty much the entire game.

Reactions: 76-1
Last night was the first game I've been to in two or three years. I'll not be going back.

There was nothing bad about the "fan experience" or the product on the field. What ruined it for me was all the dead time with everyone standing around waiting for the TV time out to be over. I don't know if it's worse than it used to be, but it sure seemed like it.

I would add that the band and the color guard and even the Red Steppers were awful. Downright embarrassing.

I'll continue to be a fan and will watch all the games from the comfort of my own home, but the investment necessary to attend in person is greater than my perceived benefit. I can work on my novel during the time outs if I'm at home. I can cook dinner. I can stir up shit on the Cooler. At my age I need to be efficient. Going to the game and sitting there while the commercials run doesn't work.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Last night was the first game I've been to in two or three years. I'll not be going back.

There was nothing bad about the "fan experience" or the product on the field. What ruined it for me was all the dead time with everyone standing around waiting for the TV time out to be over. I don't know if it's worse than it used to be, but it sure seemed like it.

I would add that the band and the color guard and even the Red Steppers were awful. Downright embarrassing.

I'll continue to be a fan and will watch all the games from the comfort of my own home, but the investment necessary to attend in person is greater than my perceived benefit. I can work on my novel during the time outs if I'm at home. I can cook dinner. I can stir up shit on the Cooler. At my age I need to be efficient. Going to the game and sitting there while the commercials run doesn't work.
The Redsteppers were awful? Wtfayta?

• Love
Reactions: UncleMark

Most games run a minimum of 3.5 hours.
Last night’s game was completed in 3 hours 10 mins.
This isn’t basketball. You ain’t getting out in 2 hours.

The band sucked. It took me a while to recognize "Back Home Again In Indiana". It used to be strong and people would sing to it.

We will always have the band since we have a music program and need to train people to be band teachers. It would be nice if they were entertaining.

The band sucked. It took me a while to recognize "Back Home Again In Indiana". It used to be strong and people would sing to it.

I had no idea that's what they were trying to play until I read about it here.

We will always have the band since we have a music program and need to train people to be band teachers. It would be nice if they were entertaining.

I've said for years we should go out and hire the band director from an HBCU and turn him/her loose. Those guys know how to put on a show. Hell, give them some NIL money and let them recruit for the band. It might take a bit of time to get up and rolling, but something -- anything -- needs to be done. That attempt last night was embarrassing.

Reactions: ESalum86
If the band is so bad, why does the PA announcer always say it’s Hoosier Nation’s favorite part of game day?

Checkmate.

I had no idea that's what they were trying to play until I read about it here.

I've said for years we should go out and hire the band director from an HBCU and turn him/her loose. Those guys know how to put on a show. Hell, give them some NIL money and let them recruit for the band. It might take a bit of time to get up and rolling, but something -- anything -- needs to be done. That attempt last night was embarrassing.
The high brow music program would be offended

I left at the beginning of the 4th. The game was not holding my attention anymore. But also it got colder than I expected. My bad you guys.

Maybe some bonus priority points for alumni and better bball seats for students helps a little, but probably not much.

In the end people have to believe the team can win and that the games matter for a bowl or something like that. That’s fundamentally why people want to be in the stadium. Two good years and attendance started to pick up a bit in 2021 (could have been a post-Covid bump admittedly). People started to believe that team could do something... but of course they went 2-10.

Fan support is bad and realistically at best it could improve to mediocre. People in Indiana like football, and IU admissions doesn’t seek out bad fans. But 30 years of very bad football does condition people to not believe in the program and it takes time to undo that.

No one shows up to watch teams that lose like IU has. Nebraska, one of the best football fanbases, sputtered in the 2010s and their attendance fell 20%. For some of their meaningless games their stadium was about 60% full. With fans there are some differences across the country, but at their core they're are pretty similar in terms of what they show up to support.
Nebraska just sold out their 398th consecutive game. If you’re going to make things up, don’t do while that team is playing on a National televised game in which it was brought up as many as 5 times.

Reactions: brianiu
Anybody know if Bloomington is still a sanctuary city?

If so, I’ve got a plan to transport 20,000 border crossers to Monroe County and get them tickets and free concession vouchers for the remainder of the season.

I’m placing them in the student section and moving the students out to the tailgate lots to help serve food.

• Haha
Reactions: RegionHoosiers
Anybody know if Bloomington is still a sanctuary city?

If so, I’ve got a plan to transport 20,000 border crossers to Monroe County and get them tickets and free concession vouchers for the remainder of the season.

I’m placing them in the student section and moving the students out to the tailgate lots to help serve food.
The student section was literally full in the first half yesterday. Yeah, they almost all left at halftime, but so did the rest of the stadium.

What’s with your jones for them lately?

The student section was literally full in the first half yesterday. Yeah, they almost all left at halftime, but so did the rest of the stadium.

What’s with your jones for them lately?
I’m down on the students because compared to what I see at other schools in our conferences, they’re a bunch of quitters and weak supporters. I can give some leeway to the longtime fans and alums who have endured decades of futility.
Students, on the other hand, haven’t been on campus long enough to close up shop that early. They have a coach that has been around just as long as the 9,600 freshmen who enrolled this year.

At the Florida games they sing
Tom Petty songs. At Fenway park they sing Sweet Caroline, They have fun!
Virtually everything that wreaks of “tradition” with Indiana football is boring or meaningless. It is a penance..

The question shouldn’t be: what will put more fans is seats? The question should be what can be done to make Indiana football more fun - win or lose?

Last edited:
Ban anyone who uses the meaningless term: woke.

Nebraska just sold out their 398th consecutive game. If you’re going to make things up, don’t do while that team is playing on a National televised game in which it was brought up as many as 5 times.

Here are some example sources on actual Nebraska attendance:
Source 1
Source 2
Source 3
There are more.

Tickets sold does not equate to tickets scanned at the stadium. Nebraska struggled and attendance declined per the data of actual people entering the stadium.

Next time spend five minutes googling before posting.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT