ADVERTISEMENT

Ideas to keep fans in seats all game long....

Here are some example sources on actual Nebraska attendance:
Source 1
Source 2
Source 3
There are more.

Tickets sold does not equate to tickets scanned at the stadium. Nebraska struggled and attendance declined per the data of actual people entering the stadium.

Next time spend five minutes googling before posting.
You’re exactly right. Sold out doesn’t mean a fulll house. I’ve been to several IU bball games over the years that were sold out but you could see the balcony was maybe half full.

Nebraska just sold out their 398th consecutive game. If you’re going to make things up, don’t do while that team is playing on a National televised game in which it was brought up as many as 5 times.

Technically that’s true, but there were quite a few times in the last 5 to 7 years that local sponsors had to buy up a huge number of tickets in order to keep that streak alive in the actual number of fans that bought tickets and attended the game was well below a sellout.

Reactions: red hornet
At the Florida games they sing
Tom Petty songs. At Fenway park they sing Sweet Caroline, They have fun!
Virtually everything that wreaks of “tradition” with Indiana football is boring or meaningless. It is a penance..

The question shouldn’t be: what will put more fans is seats? The question should be what can be done to make Indiana football more fun - win or lose?
IU played jack and Diane between the third and fourth quarters a couple of years ago for a couple of games in a row and our fans are literally did nothing. It’s the perfect song for us to make our traditional song. Local boy singing it. Easy to sing along to. Everyone knows the words. But our cool ass fans just sit there and didn’t do shit.

Here are some example sources on actual Nebraska attendance:
Source 1
Source 2
Source 3
There are more.

Tickets sold does not equate to tickets scanned at the stadium. Nebraska struggled and attendance declined per the data of actual people entering the stadium.

Next time spend five minutes googling before posting.
If all the tickets are sold it literally means sold out. Again, the announcers said it more than once.

Also, please don’t tell me how to spend my time. Arrogant douche.

If all the tickets are sold it literally means sold out. Again, the announcers said it more than once.

Also, please don’t tell me how to spend my time. Arrogant douche.
For whatever reason you got confrontational and said I "made up" the attendance decline stats. I gave a few examples of the sources on the attendance decline. There is a difference between tickets sold and attendance.

So you started it, you're wrong, and now you're mad. Whatever dude.

I am sure this has been discussed many, many times, but Cig noted it in his post-game comments. So what can be done?

Some (maybe dumb) ideas.

1) Turn in ticket with 5 min left in game or after for free IU gear.

2) Free or discounted food in the 4th quarter.

3) Optionally, you can have your ticket scanned when leaving to accumulate points to use for better seats next season, apply points for basketball season, or other gear.

Probably some logistical issues with some of them.

What say you?
It’s simple. Win and win consistently. The solution is pretty easy and straight forward. Executing the solution is IU’s issue and ONLY issue as it pertains to packing the rock and keeping fans in the stadium. No gimmick will solve it or trumps winning. Ever.

Last edited:
IU played jack and Diane between the third and fourth quarters a couple of years ago for a couple of games in a row and our fans are literally did nothing. It’s the perfect song for us to make our traditional song. Local boy singing it. Easy to sing along to. Everyone knows the words. But our cool ass fans just sit there and didn’t do shit.
Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone...

Not exactly a pick me up. Maybe we should sing Brick by Ben Folds too..

Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone...

Not exactly a pick me up. Maybe we should sing Brick by Ben Folds too..
The DJ has played Sweet Caroline & Mr. Brightside in the stadium and gets a good response/sing-a-long from the crowd.

I know everyone loves Mellencamp locally, but it's really dated to be honest and doesn't get much reaction from the <45 crowd. I would have made an exception for a night game, they could have played Wild Nights. It's really upbeat and got a good groove that his American Fool stuff lacks. The knock on that one that the lyrics aren't as well known.

They still need to work on the Thunderstruck intro, it felt drug out Friday.

The DJ has played Sweet Caroline & Mr. Brightside in the stadium and gets a good response/sing-a-long from the crowd.

I know everyone loves Mellencamp locally, but it's really dated to be honest and doesn't get much reaction from the <45 crowd. I would have made an exception for a night game, they could have played Wild Nights. It's really upbeat and got a good groove that his American Fool stuff lacks. The knock on that one that the lyrics aren't as well known.

I missed the intro, got to my seats just as we were lining up for kickoff.

The knock on Wild Nights, to me, I'd that Mellencamp didn't write it. It's a Van Morrison tune.

I'd use "Ride" by the Vines.

Mellencamp is dated but Diamond and SC isn't!! :D

Jack and Diane - 82

SC - 69

Mellencamp is dated but Diamond and SC isn't!! :D

Jack and Diane - 82

SC - 69
SC is old but it isn’t dated in the same way. Meaning if you go to a karaoke bar, piano bar, or college bar when it comes on the jukebox, it gets a much bigger reaction because of the sing-along nature.

I did not know that they did that, but yes, that would be the perfect song. Perhaps if they did a sing-along illustrated on the scoreboard and that might help significantly. Pick a song and do it every single game..

The only thing that I can come up with is perhaps get a hot tri-state area band to play 30 to 40 minutes after the final whistle and only those who are already in the stadium will be allowed to attend (in conjunction with all the free stuff)...; And end all pass outs at 10 minutes into the third quarter (anyone leaving then probably isn't planning on coming back)... In other words no re-entry after the 10 minute mark of the 3rd quarter...

No guarantees but it might be worth a try...

That 40 minutes after the whistle should give enough time for the marching band to do their thing for 15 minutes or less...

Build a rapid-up style prefab open stage platform that has all the electrical prewired, roll it out, hook things up and boom instant mini-concert (50 minutes max in length)...

Students stick around and are happy, the board is happy, Cig might be happy, and the few that complain most likely were taking off early anyway...

*And tie it all to Basketball ticket points... You don't scan out After the end of the game you don't get the points...*
Did you forget the seats are uncomfortable and games last four hours long? People are ready to move on after long games of only sporadic action and limited exciting moments. To hold them hostage for a post game band or concert performed by questionable talent might be asking a bit much for restless souls.

I did not know that they did that, but yes, that would be the perfect song. Perhaps if they did a sing-along illustrated on the scoreboard and that might help significantly. Pick a song and do it every single game..
They piped in Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline” and it proved to be a big sing-a-long hit. The band played The Surfaris’ “Wipe Out”, which I’ve grown tired of hearing at every IU home basketball game. Are they that limited in repertoire? Butts start squirming midway into the third quarter. This would be a good time to cue up a piped in version of Dick Dale’s “Miserlou” to stir the emotions.

Reactions: 76-1
They piped in Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline” and it proved to be a big sing-a-long hit. The band played The Surfaris’ “Wipe Out”, which I’ve grown tired of hearing at every IU home basketball game. Are they that limited in repertoire? Butts start squirming midway into the third quarter. This would be a good time to cue up a piped in version of Dick Dale’s “Miserlou” to stir the emotions.

Dick Dale’s “Miserlou”???

I know I could google it but who and what is that?
Never heard of either.

AC/DC sponsors IU football, in case people didn’t know.

The Red Steppers have danced to a horrific house-remix of T.NT. both games. Highway to Hell has played during routines and Thunderstruck appears to be the solid opener.

Mixed in were Metallica and Motley Crue’s Kickstart My Heart.

For the head-bangers among us, we could do worse😆

Reactions: red hornet
Dick Dale’s “Miserlou”???

I know I could google it but who and what is that?
Never heard of either.
The song, Miserlou, has its roots as an Arabic folk song instrumental from over 100 years ago. Its author remains unknown. Dick Dale and his Del-tones made it popular here in 1962. The Ventures and Beach Boys also had their own guitar versions. It was Tarantino’s lead-in song to his Academy award winning movie, Pulp Fiction. Check out the song sometime on YouTube, full volume. It’s a high energy, intense number. All guitar players and guitar player wannabes love it. I think it would be well received by a packed Assembly Hall crowd, loaded for bear.

• Love
The song, Miserlou, has its roots as an Arabic folk song instrumental from over 100 years ago. Its author remains unknown. Dick Dale and his Del-tones made it popular here in 1962. The Ventures and Beach Boys also had their own guitar versions. It was Tarantino’s lead-in song to his Academy award winning movie, Pulp Fiction. Check out the song sometime on YouTube, full volume. It’s a high energy, intense number. All guitar players and guitar player wannabes love it. I think it would be well received by a packed Assembly Hall crowd, loaded for bear.

I think they should play it too!... then everyone can stand and dance "the twist"....

Happy Dance GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Did you forget the seats are uncomfortable and games last four hours long? People are ready to move on after long games of only sporadic action and limited exciting moments. To hold them hostage for a post game band or concert performed by questionable talent might be asking a bit much for restless souls.

I'm talking about students primarily..., and no one is forcing them to stay...

I think I’ll contact AH’s DJ to ask if he’ll play it for me, maybe slipping him a double sawbuck for his effort if he hedges. Does anyone here know who this kid in the corner is?

The World's Oldest Teenager... Dick Clark.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT