ADVERTISEMENT

Ideas to keep fans in seats all game long....

ribbont

All-American
Mar 23, 2006
I am sure this has been discussed many, many times, but Cig noted it in his post-game comments. So what can be done?

Some (maybe dumb) ideas.

1) Turn in ticket with 5 min left in game or after for free IU gear.

2) Free or discounted food in the 4th quarter.

3) Optionally, you can have your ticket scanned when leaving to accumulate points to use for better seats next season, apply points for basketball season, or other gear.

Probably some logistical issues with some of them.

What say you?

I am sure this has been discussed many, many times, but Cig noted it in his post-game comments. So what can be done?

Some (maybe dumb) ideas.

3) Optionally, you can have your ticket scanned when leaving to accumulate points to use for better seats next season, apply points for basketball season, or other gear.

What say you?
The best (perhaps only) solution:
tumblr_lsrwvcI0lO1qfsr58o1_500.png

Some (maybe dumb) ideas.

What say you?
It’s IU football, we’re not used to staying the whole game.

Some (maybe dumb) ideas.

What say you?
5. Seat belts and shock collars.

Some (maybe dumb) ideas.

What say you?
Whether your suggestions have merit or not the availability of pass outs make them ineffective util a policy change is enacted.

I know they shot out t-shirts throughout the game. They should definitely ONLY shoot them out in the 4th quarter, the last half of the quarter. It might not have much of an overall effect but at least it will reward those that have stayed.

Score more than three points second half? But seriously it’s not just the students leaving early. I really think we need a fun tradition between third and fourth quarter, like Wisconsin Jump, Iowa wave, something to make ours. Then lots of promos in the third and fourth quarter, with decent prizes.

Reactions: UncleMark

Some (maybe dumb) ideas.

What say you?
Make STAYING more fun than leaving.

Score more than three points second half? But seriously it’s not just the students leaving early. I really think we need a fun tradition between third and fourth quarter, like Wisconsin Jump, Iowa wave, something to make ours. Then lots of promos in the third and fourth quarter, with decent prizes.

We scored 10.
We could have scored 100 and our students wouldn’t stay. But I am in the minority here in that I think our student base just sucks overall. They did it in basketball as well. The only reason they don’t do it more often there is it’s in the dead of winter. The students at IU don’t get into sports like kids at other schools. Part of that is the university in that they have never had anything coordinated for students. If you go to other stadiums and basketball arenas, they have true student sections with routines and rituals. You don’t ever see that at IU and it shouldn’t be that way for a school this size. The shirt thing they did for the students on Saturday was perhaps the very first time in a long time that they tried to coordinate something.

I hear you but those traditions come after the fans are staying. Wisconsin fans may be idiots, but they didn't decide to stay so they could jump around like idiots in the second half.

Win.

That said, our social event culture is steeped in decades of bad football, beuatiful fall afternoons and great people to be around.

Help me understand how no pass outs will help. Fans are leaving now and not returning, how would no pass outs change that?
That's just the thing. It's only hurting the ones that leave and are planning on coming back, and WILL come back. They just stay now. (I'm in that group.) And end up spending more money, because they (we) usually go to the car for more food and drinks. The ones that might or might not come back.....well, those just leave and definitely don't come back in. I think if it stays like it was Saturday, they very well could change it back. As bad as it was at the end of the FIU game, it's going to be worse on Friday night. A lesser opponent, a Friday night.....it won't be good....

Help me understand how no pass outs will help. Fans are leaving now and not returning, how would no pass outs change that?
because a lot of people leave to go back and tailgate and like the option of returning. No pass outs would help curb some folks from leaving, but by far the biggest motivator is "just win baby"!

Reactions: vesuvius13
That's just the thing. It's only hurting the ones that leave and are planning on coming back, and WILL come back. They just stay now. (I'm in that group.) And end up spending more money, because they (we) usually go to the car for more food and drinks. The ones that might or might not come back.....well, those just leave and definitely don't come back in. I think if it stays like it was Saturday, they very well could change it back. As bad as it was at the end of the FIU game, it's going to be worse on Friday night. A lesser opponent, a Friday night.....it won't be good....
you might've missed it, but they are still allowing pass outs

Pass outs have almost zero affect on attendance in the second half. Those that are coming back in have a process to do so, those that are not coming back in...are not. They may however lose a few season ticket holds that contribute enough to have good parking spots.

Focus on what matters for large numbers

The food and drink aspect
The marching band
The east stand suites

oh, and Winning

I hear you but those traditions come after the fans are staying. Wisconsin fans may be idiots, but they didn't decide to stay so they could jump around like idiots in the second half.

Win.

That said, our social event culture is steeped in decades of bad football, beuatiful fall afternoons and great people to be around.
Wisconsin also has "The 5th Quarter" which is popular amongst game goers. It's where the band comes back on the field to play fight song and polka type favorites.

The 5th Quarter

Wisconsin also has "The 5th Quarter" which is popular amongst game goers. It's where the band comes back on the field to play fight song and polka type favorites.

The 5th Quarter
Polka?

John Candy is there?

Cool

BTW, I looked at the video you linked and it looks like 150 fans stayed to dance the polka

Here is what Wisky fans do well...they make killer brats at the tailgates and they hit the bars.

Reactions: red hornet
My post was in response to a suggestion of 3 late game concepts that might keep fans in attendance to the end. My point was that as long as pass outs are allowed those suggestions (assuming that they would even have an impact) would be ineffective. I guess I didn't fully connect the dots but folks could circumvent the intent by re-entering late to take advantage of the benefits suggested. Probably not likely but possible with pass outs.
I was making no statement regarding whether pass outs would or would not affect late game attendance.

Reactions: bang63
How about you stay because you love f….. football?
I’m not against leaving early per se, like if it’s an absolute blowout or something when the weather is not good.

But for the life of me I’ll never understand the folks spending the money to go to a game and leaving early when it’s a close conference game like last year with Rutgers (at half), Wisconsin, & Michigan State.

Keep one concession open after the game for students with id only; a free beer, hot dog, nachos or whatever. However, as was mentioned previously, this would require creativity with pass outs or some students would walk back in just for the free beer.

Reactions: 82hoosier and 76-1
Just a little FYI. Students don't give a shit about a free t-shirt, a free beer they have to stand in line to get, a free pizza, or pretty much a free anything, unless it's of significant value, in which case it will be a 'chance' to win something a la a raffle and at the point the 'I'm not going to win this stupid raffle, let's GTFO here' mindset creeps back in.

Students MIGHT be moved by the idea of it impacting their basketball tickets, but that gets pretty complicated and I'd guess (purely a guess) that your die-hard basketball fans that care that much about their seat location are also part of the group of students that are still in the stands past halftime at football.

I don't have the answers. Even winning, in general doesn't seem to matter. It has to be a win but also check a lot of other boxes, apparently. Not too close. Not too big of a blowout. Just right. And apparently it only matters if it's one of the Big Three in the B1G...otherwise, we're outta here. Although someone pointed out that in 2022 we had Michigan 10-10 at half and the student section emptied. My memory isn't that good.

The idea that Indiana isn't a football state no longer passes muster for me. High school games of big-time teams across the state are packed with kids/students. Kids from out of state are coming from Chicago 'burbs with big-time football. Lots of Ohio kids. Football is the pastime of our country now, be it NFL or college.

Reactions: 82hoosier
I figure that, if I paid for the ticket, I'm watching the whole game. I don't go to games as often as I used to, but my thoughts toward the end of the games were often related to how bad traffic was going to be in regard to leaving the parking lots. I imagine that, if the games aren't close (and maybe when they are close), many people are just trying to beat traffic and make their escape for the long drive home.

Reactions: Heytommy
The only thing that I can come up with is perhaps get a hot tri-state area band to play 30 to 40 minutes after the final whistle and only those who are already in the stadium will be allowed to attend (in conjunction with all the free stuff)...; And end all pass outs at 10 minutes into the third quarter (anyone leaving then probably isn't planning on coming back)... In other words no re-entry after the 10 minute mark of the 3rd quarter...

No guarantees but it might be worth a try...

That 40 minutes after the whistle should give enough time for the marching band to do their thing for 15 minutes or less...

Build a rapid-up style prefab open stage platform that has all the electrical prewired, roll it out, hook things up and boom instant mini-concert (50 minutes max in length)...

Students stick around and are happy, the board is happy, Cig might be happy, and the few that complain most likely were taking off early anyway...

*And tie it all to Basketball ticket points... You don't scan out After the end of the game you don't get the points...*

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT