ADVERTISEMENT

I wish everyone would read up on Dayton...?

Coachlosekamp

Freshman
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2005
over the last 20 years plus. It is an interesting read. Thou they do not play in a power 5 conference, they have a good history of solid teams. Coaches moving on because of success not from failure.

My main point here is Coach Crean was let go because he was not getting the job done. Bringing in recurts, but not to many top level players.
In comes Archie, using the players Crean left behind.

All the teams at Dayton were solid teams, and with success that is why the coaches were asked to help lead others at a higher level. Leaving behind a solid team for the next guy.

Now, can that really be said, for the situation at IU? Just asking.

over the last 20 years plus. It is an interesting read. Thou they do not play in a power 5 conference, they have a good history of solid teams. Coaches moving on because of success not from failure.

My main point here is Coach Crean was let go because he was not getting the job done. Bringing in recurts, but not to many top level players.

All the teams at Dayton were solid teams, and with success that is why the coaches were asked to help lead others at a higher level. Leaving behind a solid team for the next guy.

Understood...but many have painted Archie Crean as a miracle worker at Dayton, taking a terrible program and transforming them. He elevated them slightly and had 2 first round exit during his best years and an Elight 8 in a year he finished regular conference middle of the pack.

IU has been swindled with this hire.

Reactions: IUgradman
Understood...but many have painted Archie Crean as a miracle worker at Dayton, taking a terrible program and transforming them. He elevated them slightly and had 2 first round exit during his best years and an Elight 8 in a year he finished regular conference middle of the pack.

You you are so full of shit. The fans that want Archie gone are just stupid and should focus on something else. A new coach should have 3-4 year at least to make a team theirs and people on here don’t want to give him 2. . That’s just pathetic.

I don't feel Archie was a bad hire. At Dayton he had good players going in. At IU yes he has players with talent, but they are good enough for collage, but maybe not at IU's level. All here have to give him his first contract and see the results. To much in this day and age expecting instant results.

Reactions: echs86
Look, IU is really full of holes this year. Once again no shooters on the team, under sized, a lot of youth, and injuries. They miss their free throws.

I don't think they've played hard, I don't think they have a very good offense, but for all the carp being slung at Archie the past week or two, I gotta say that this IU team is really lacking things they need to win, particularly on the road.

All of the guards are freshmen, sophomore, walk on or poor offensive player.

Front court is under sized and the depth has been stricken. Imagine Purdue couldn't use Haarms today? The freshman kid would have fouled out and no one would have checked Morgan.

I still believe Miller can get things going and that really has to start with getting a full team for perhaps a couple weeks, which hasn't happened.

No, Crean left no shooters.

Reactions: Bernese

We swindled ourselves!

I don't feel Archie was a bad hire. At Dayton he had good players going in. At IU yes he has players with talent, but they are good enough for collage, but maybe not at IU's level. All here have to give him his first contract and see the results. To much in this day and age expecting instant results.

I disagree. I've seen their collage work and while some of it is akin to simple scrap booking...some of it is visually stimulating and really pushing the art form.:)

None other than the fickle Big Red Crimson Buff was talking up Archie years before IU hired him! Lmfao!

It is way too early to draw conclusions about Archie. If you doubt, look at the Purdue board. Some of the idiots over there think the jury is still out on Painter after 14 years.

Elite 8, after finishing regular confererence middle of the pack...yes, you are right. BUT, he never had a true center (with the exception of the late Big Steve who only played 1 year. His best bigs were 2 guys kicked off the team following exceptional freshmen years then injuries all-around. He did take a 'middle of the conference team' and make the Elite 8 run. That's what good coaches do. That's why he is a good coach. Keep running each of your coaches off, the more you guys blame the coaches the more the players stop looking at themselves and their lack of focus, hustle, preparation, etc...why not rally around the coach and program? It seemed to work at Dayton. Archie did not start off his first two years very well, but the fans stuck with him and in the end he made the program way, way better.

Enough of the get rid of Miller talk. Let us see how it plays out. D. Davis is hobbled bad from what I can see he just can't move and he was supposed to be the "inside" guy. Langford has been sort of a disappointment....yea I know high scoring average blah blah blah. He just doesn't seem like a NBA lotto pick right now, to me anyway. I wasn't expecting 32-0 national champs this year. Were you? I figured we would win 20 and get into the show and there is time for that yet.

Folks, I don’t think we can discount the possibility that this team may very well lose every remaining game on the schedule. If that happens, talk about a coaching change will be unavoidable and IMO justified. If Nebraska can beat them at home, anyone can. Think about it, we only beat NW and PSU by what, a combined 3 or 4 points? The trajectory is not good right now.

FIf Nebraska can beat them at home, anyone can.

So many of you act like Nebraska is this cellar-dweller horrible team. Just not so.
Kenpom - ranked 12th
Sagarin - ranked 10th

Some of you need to get a grip. Yeah, we need to play better and with more passion and urgency. My guess is there is some chemistry issues on this squad. But it's not like we're losing to Coastal Carolina.

Elite 8, after finishing regular confererence middle of the pack...yes, you are right. BUT, he never had a true center (with the exception of the late Big Steve who only played 1 year. His best bigs were 2 guys kicked off the team following exceptional freshmen years then injuries all-around. He did take a 'middle of the conference team' and make the Elite 8 run. That's what good coaches do. That's why he is a good coach. Keep running each of your coaches off, the more you guys blame the coaches the more the players stop looking at themselves and their lack of focus, hustle, preparation, etc...why not rally around the coach and program? It seemed to work at Dayton. Archie did not start off his first two years very well, but the fans stuck with him and in the end he made the program way, way better.

When Archie Miller was hired as head coach of U of Dayton, there was a lot of history there...and high expectations. Gregory was let go as head coach for a number of reasons...partly because the recruiting was drying up and the cupboard was not looking favorable for the next year or two. Contrary to what has recently been posted in this and other threads.

Archie Miller's teams struggled, at first, for much the same reason as IU's team is struggling. New system, new head coach, players recruited by previous coach with different priorities...It took a couple of years. But he then got Dayton to be effective in their conference.

I can understand why people are frustrated with the performance of the IU team. And the buck does stop at the top.

It is the head coach's responsibility to get this team to hit free throws, to win against the conference opponents, to rebound and to block out, to have a front line that is among the best in college ball, to have a smart and effective point guard with a great assist to turnover ratio, and a great defense...to be among the best in the conference year after year, and to do very well in the NCAAT.

But to expect all of that...in his second full year at the helm...with the baggage of the history of the previous head coaches and the administration botching the jobs really says something about the fans and their expectations or agendas.

I live in Dayton. I graduated from IU in 1977. I went to games in the old fieldhouse. I go to games and will be at the OSU vs IU game...with friends. I went to UD games and really like what Archie Miller did over here. Only one other Dayton coach ever had the success that Archie Miller had here...Don Donoher.

Archie's latter teams had a number of characteristics: They got better as the year progressed; they got into the NCAAT; they were at the very top of their conference or competed favorably for it's championship; they played good defense; they played as a team; they moved the ball to the open player; and they represented the school well. Archie Miller was flexible in offense and defense but stayed with his man-to-man and they did extend it out to the 3-point shooter but it took smart, experienced, talented players to do that.

So many of you act like Nebraska is this cellar-dweller horrible team. Just not so.
Kenpom - ranked 12th
Sagarin - ranked 10th

Some of you need to get a grip. Yeah, we need to play better and with more passion and urgency. My guess is there is some chemistry issues on this squad. But it's not like we're losing to Coastal Carolina.
Well, not unless Coastal Carolina gets a 6 or 7 seed...then we might...

When Archie Miller was hired as head coach of U of Dayton, there was a lot of history there...and high expectations. Gregory was let go as head coach for a number of reasons...partly because the recruiting was drying up and the cupboard was not looking favorable for the next year or two. Contrary to what has recently been posted in this and other threads.

Archie Miller's teams struggled, at first, for much the same reason as IU's team is struggling. New system, new head coach, players recruited by previous coach with different priorities...It took a couple of years. But he then got Dayton to be effective in their conference.

I can understand why people are frustrated with the performance of the IU team. And the buck does stop at the top.

It is the head coach's responsibility to get this team to hit free throws, to win against the conference opponents, to rebound and to block out, to have a front line that is among the best in college ball, to have a smart and effective point guard with a great assist to turnover ratio, and a great defense...to be among the best in the conference year after year, and to do very well in the NCAAT.

But to expect all of that...in his second full year at the helm...with the baggage of the history of the previous head coaches and the administration botching the jobs really says something about the fans and their expectations or agendas.

I live in Dayton. I graduated from IU in 1977. I went to games in the old fieldhouse. I go to games and will be at the OSU vs IU game...with friends. I went to UD games and really like what Archie Miller did over here. Only one other Dayton coach ever had the success that Archie Miller had here...Don Donoher.

Archie's latter teams had a number of characteristics: They got better as the year progressed; they got into the NCAAT; they were at the very top of their conference or competed favorably for it's championship; they played good defense; they played as a team; they moved the ball to the open player; and they represented the school well. Archie Miller was flexible in offense and defense but stayed with his man-to-man and they did extend it out to the 3-point shooter but it took smart, experienced, talented players to do that.
don donoher and the old ud flyers. when i was 10 and first started taking a rooting interest in sports, they were my first favorite team. i remember the flyers taking ucla to triple ot when i think ucla had an 80 game win streak or something. i got sent to bed after regulation but i snuck out and peeked around the corner to watch all 3 ot's. dayton had a little scoring guard who could hit from 28 feet out it seemed. was his name donald smith maybe? and didn't they have the meyers brothers who were pretty good?

the names in this story may have been changed, not to protect their identity, but due to memory loss

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Who cares where we finish in the regular season. Middle of the pack or challenging for league titles makes no difference. It's what you do in March. Coaching resumes are built by what happens in post season play. If a coach has a history of taking mediocre teams on deep runs then he deserves the chance to let it all play out.

If we sneak in this year as 9 seed, but reach the E8 by taking down a 1 seed, then Archie is a genius. If we lose a game in January to a more talented team on the road, he should be fired. SMH it's just ridiculous.

The emotional snowflakes need to let the season play out. Save your criticism for after the season, so you can judge as a whole. Anything can happen from here on out. It's March, where seasons are determined to be successful or failures.

If the players are listening to all the HOF coaches on this board IU basketball is in really, really, very, very deep sh*t.

Reactions: h20pls
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT