ADVERTISEMENT

I want to see an expanded playoff...

82IU

Freshman
Apr 30, 2016
I would love to see a 64 team tourney like basketball but we all know that is not feasible. VBG. But an 8 or 16 team playoff is in the realm of possibility.
I guess I am just getting tired of seeing the same handful of teams winning all the time. If they had to play a couple more games maybe an underdog would slip in there and win or at least cause some upsets to let another school win.
At least a 16 team field would let some other programs get a shot at some glory and play in the playoffs instead of just the same old "chosen few".
IU's luck if they went to a 64 team power 5 playoff, we would still be that 65th team on the outside looking in. Aarrgghh!
We just need to win and get out of this hole dag nabbit. LOL
Rant over! Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: 76-1
Does it really matter? Who's going to beat Bama?
Well, Georgia gave them a run today. Not many can stay with them this year, but anything can happen if you make them play more games to win it or earn it.

Well, Georgia gave them a run today. Not many can stay with them this year, but anything can happen if you make them play more games to win it or earn it.
Nah. Bama is special. They find ways to overcome adversity consistently. I think they are historically elite.

They played 13 to earn it. If they win 15 they deserve it. We had a 64 team playoff that will have four left tomorrow. Don't ruin the regular season. It's what makes college football different/better than every other American sport.

I would love to see a 64 team tourney like basketball but we all know that is not feasible. VBG. But an 8 or 16 team playoff is in the realm of possibility.
I guess I am just getting tired of seeing the same handful of teams winning all the time. If they had to play a couple more games maybe an underdog would slip in there and win or at least cause some upsets to let another school win.
At least a 16 team field would let some other programs get a shot at some glory and play in the playoffs instead of just the same old "chosen few".
IU's luck if they went to a 64 team power 5 playoff, we would still be that 65th team on the outside looking in. Aarrgghh!
We just need to win and get out of this hole dag nabbit. LOL
Rant over! Go Hoosiers!

65th?! We should be so lucky! CTA will get us to that level in 20-25 years.

They played 13 to earn it. If they win 15 they deserve it. We had a 64 team playoff that will have four left tomorrow. Don't ruin the regular season. It's what makes college football different/better than every other American sport.

It should be 8 and no more. 5 conference champs, highest group of 5 and two at large to account for independants. I really don't see how that degrades the regular season.

This year it would probably be:

BAMA
CLEMSON
ND
GEORGIA
OU
OSU
WASH
UCF

I would love to see that.

It should be 8 and no more. 5 conference champs, highest group of 5 and two at large to account for independants. I really don't see how that degrades the regular season.

This year it would probably be:

BAMA
CLEMSON
ND
GEORGIA
OU
OSU
WASH
UCF

I would love to see that.

I wouldn't. I know I'm in the minority. Frankly, I'm a dinosaur, but here are my thoughts anyway:

First, I see nothing wrong with a 4 team playoff, although the two team championship game was better. In my mind, if you haven't add arguably one of the 4 best seasons, you don't have a solid claim to play for #1. And I would go by what has been earned, and get rid of the subjectivity. Go by whatever metrics you want, but pick them and live by them. The pro ACC & SEC gerrymandering by the Committee this year has been disgusting. Like anything humans create with pure intentions, it is being corrupted. We're now choosing teams by the "eyeball test" & who will draw the biggest TV audience rather than by what they've accomplished.

Second, the star players are beginning to sit out of post-season play. If we start playing 3 games rather than two, this trend will accelerate. Take away one or two stars from these teams and the eyeball test is no longer valid. But, if we are awarding teams for their actual accomplishments, we are still ok.

Third, 16 games is way too many for college players. (12 game schedule, LC game, possible 3 games in playoffs). How about restoring some sanity here people? $ and TV is driving all this. The interests of the players are being ignored, and as a result, they and their attorneys are beginning to buck the system. I think star players are going to start quitting on their teams during the season.

Now get off my yard.

I wouldn't. I know I'm in the minority. Frankly, I'm a dinosaur, but here are my thoughts anyway:

First, I see nothing wrong with a 4 team playoff, although the two team championship game was better. In my mind, if you haven't add arguably one of the 4 best seasons, you don't have a solid claim to play for #1. And I would go by what has been earned, and get rid of the subjectivity. Go by whatever metrics you want, but pick them and live by them. The pro ACC & SEC gerrymandering by the Committee this year has been disgusting. Like anything humans create with pure intentions, it is being corrupted. We're now choosing teams by the "eyeball test" & who will draw the biggest TV audience rather than by what they've accomplished.

Second, the star players are beginning to sit out of post-season play. If we start playing 3 games rather than two, this trend will accelerate. Take away one or two stars from these teams and the eyeball test is no longer valid. But, if we are awarding teams for their actual accomplishments, we are still ok.

Third, 16 games is way too many for college players. (12 game schedule, LC game, possible 3 games in playoffs). How about restoring some sanity here people? $ and TV is driving all this. The interests of the players are being ignored, and as a result, they and their attorneys are beginning to buck the system. I think star players are going to start quitting on their teams during the season.

Now get off my yard.
If a FCS teams can play in a 24 team playoff why can't the much bigger BCS Teams

Third, 16 games is way too many for college players.

The possibility of FCS teams playing a 16th game exists each year. It's happened at least once... Youngstown State in 2016.

The NCAA obviously isn't concerned about a 16th game and only two teams would be affected in any case. Championship teams in lower divisions have been playing 15 games for decades.

8 teams would clearly be the best system since anyone who reasonably has a claim at being the best team would be in.

Auto-bids for the 5 conference champs, first round at the higher seeded' team's stadium.

There's no doubt when we ever win a B1G title that we'll get screwed over if the current system is in place since we're not a "name" program.

8 teams would clearly be the best system since anyone who reasonably has a claim at being the best team would be in.

Auto-bids for the 5 conference champs, first round at the higher seeded' team's stadium.

There's no doubt when we ever win a B1G title that we'll get screwed over if the current system is in place since we're not a "name" program.

There are never 8 teams that have legit claims to being the best team in the country. Never has happened, never will. 4 is plenty....you just need objective rather than subjective measurements. The sense of being screwed comes from the fact that there are no standards limiting the Committee's discretion, and the situation has become political.

There are never 8 teams that have legit claims to being the best team in the country. Never has happened, never will. 4 is plenty....you just need objective rather than subjective measurements. The sense of being screwed comes from the fact that there are no standards limiting the Committee's discretion, and the situation has become political.

Also, 8 teams definitely diminishes the regular season and raises the possibilities that crap teams like NW might make the playoffs. Teams that haven't really had their shit together all year, like OSU, get a pass.

Reactions: Chriselli

Look at the bright side. Never in your lifetime will you have to deal with this frustration..

There might not be 8 with a legit claim, but the current 4 team system leaves out a UCF team that has won 25 consecutive games.

I am not overly concerned if a borderline P5 misses out, but would like to find a way keep the door open for a really good G5 team

There might not be 8 with a legit claim, but the current 4 team system leaves out a UCF team that has won 25 consecutive games.

I am not overly concerned if a borderline P5 misses out, but would like to find a way keep the door open for a really good G5 team
How do you see this sort of expanded tournament impacting the athletes, who are approaching the end of the semester and final exams?

They have won 25 straight games and still have no legit claim to being the best team in the country. There is not one recognized commentator that would say that they do. Nor can they legitimately claim to have accomplished more than the best teams in the P5 conferences. Ditto. People that want to include UCF want the 'feel good' factor. It's like the play-in games in the NCAA basketball tourney. Ridiculous.

But, in any event, I hate the way that the method of determining who is #1 has consumed all the oxygen in the college football landscape. An expanded playoff system definitely detracts from the regular season, just as it does for the NCAA basketball tourney. If every P5 champ gets in, then you're going to have teams like Northwestern get in occasionally, because of the silly league championship games, which are just another way to fleece college football fans anyway.

Reactions: Chriselli
How do you see this sort of expanded tournament impacting the athletes, who are approaching the end of the semester and final exams?
So how does the players from FCS do it because they are probably more academically inclined than the players at a power 5 conference team.

until every major conference is represented, it's still just a mythical championship and billing it otherwise is false advertising.

the real question is, why is it only at 4 schools now?

don't know the contractual situation with the networks and the bowls, but we can presume therein lies why it's at four now.

college fball is only amateur for the players, not the schools.

it will not stay at 4.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT