ADVERTISEMENT

I think Woodson and IU

Of course he's not going to quit. Woodson seems like a guy with a pretty big ego. No way a guy like this just up and walks away. Why would he, especially when it appears he has some powerful people in his corner?
Due to an honset self appraisal of his impact on the IU basketball program. I agree unlikely he will and so an indication he is out to make a buck to the detriment of the IU basketball program.

Reactions: stollcpa
Call me delusional, If I am going to leave . I would leave on my terms, not because of disgruntled fans.
Fine he should resign on his own recognizing he has the program in worse shape than when he’s started.

If you check out any of the recruiting stories its obvious he has been negligent and or lazy.

Please give me one reason why he personally didn’t contact McNeely after he committed. With the kid decommitting this is grounds to be fired!

How could he not to drive to Sisley’s sectional game. Freaking LAZY and grounds alone to be fired!

Pure damn laziness!!!!

I tend to agree. I'm in the minority in this thread, in that I agree with the decision to give him one more season, but I also think it's clear he won't quit however it goes. He's never quit any of his other jobs, good season or not.

His recent press conference responses also piss me off. "No comment" is not an acceptable response to reporters when they ask one of the highest paid public employees about an essential job function like recruiting.
Especially when before the season, at the time of his raise, he extolled how great the recruiting was.

Last edited:
His salary with the Knicks was $4mil/yr. Any way you cut it he made good money in the NBA and I can’t believe he lives payday to payday. Assuming I wasn’t hurting for money and was further screwing my beloved Hoosiers then yes I would go without a second thought.
Most people would take the $4MM to do nothing.

Maybe he secretly still holds a grudge against IU for the way they treated RMK and he is here to run the program further into the ground than it already is. He's setting up a season next year where we will have no players, then he will resign in late August after all the available coaches have already accepted other jobs.

Most people would take the $4MM to do nothing.
Let’s say you had $30 million in the bank and no debt and had investment income. You were hired to return IU to national contention as a life long IU fan and the 3 year result was what we have now and look to have next season. What would you do? Would you continue to milk the program or man up and retire?

When the season ends and Reneau and Mgbako hit the portal that might tip the scale to fire him. Remember last year when Dickerson left to Kansas I could see Reneau and Mgbsko leaving for a winner like Kansas or Duke.
I don’t see why they wouldn’t hit the portal. What do they have to lose? They know IU would keep them in a heartbeat. See what’s out there.

Let’s say you had $30 million in the bank and no debt and had investment income. You were hired to return IU to national contention as a life long IU fan and the 3 year result was what we have now and look to have next season. What would you do? Would you continue to milk the program or man up and retire?
Let's say you have $10 million and debt. Do you walk away from 4MM? Internet says his net worth is 12MM

Let's say you have $10 million and debt. Do you walk away from 4MM? Internet says his net worth is 12MM

Obviously none of us know anything about Woodson's finances, but I do know that big incomes generally end up supporting big lifestyles. And while $10M or $30M may seem like a King's Ransom to us, for guys used to pulling in multimillions per year it's probably not quite enough to support the lifestyle to which they've become accustomed to.

I found that number of 12 from 2 years ago and here is a recent estimate of $25 million. Net worth implies assets minus debt so not sure how you got from 12 million net worth to $10 million plus debt but understand you don’t want to answer the question.

I think IU plans to take next year off from Basketball. Apparently it is just to hard to put together a team (good or bad) every stinking year. Take a break, regroup and try again in '25-'26.
Maybe then things will look better.

😀😀😀
Well, the next season will likely be cancelled anyways

so....

Not Woody specific, but in addition to expensive lifestyles, wealthy folks often also have pricey retirement goals like family trusts/inheritance planning, philanthropy, real estate (we know coach likes that), and building houses.

Even with $20-30M, $4.2M is a lot, and it’s his last rodeo to earn anything close to that. Most people take it, goes to the family if they don’t use it anyways.

I can’t put myself in his shoes honestly.

I found that number of 12 from 2 years ago and here is a recent estimate of $25 million. Net worth implies assets minus debt so not sure how you got from 12 million net worth to $10 million plus debt but understand you don’t want to answer the question.

Nor do you. He won't walk away from 4MM to do nothing. His net worth is closer to 10 than 30MM

I asked first but okay, with $10 million net worth I would retire rather than continuing to dig hole for the IU bball program. Hawks- no problem stick it out and Knicks no problem stick it out but IU no.

It makes zero sense to keep him at IU. He has set the program up for failure in the future. He literally has no recruiting class and will lose at the least 4 guys.
Ware, X, Walker, MM.
Galloway, Leal possibly and not to mention he already had one open scholarship.
Program is in rough shape moving forward and IU decides to stick with him? Very odd move.
And everyone in the world knows he's a lame-duck coach unless a miracle occurs

It makes zero sense to keep him at IU. He has set the program up for failure in the future. He literally has no recruiting class and will lose at the least 4 guys.
Ware, X, Walker, MM.
Galloway, Leal possibly and not to mention he already had one open scholarship.
Program is in rough shape moving forward and IU decides to stick with him? Very odd move.
I believe you could add Gunn and Banks. Even Sparks might be included. Someone posted earlier that he could be looking at 7-10 open scholarships.

Reactions: bsmitty08
Obviously none of us know anything about Woodson's finances, but I do know that big incomes generally end up supporting big lifestyles. And while $10M or $30M may seem like a King's Ransom to us, for guys used to pulling in multimillions per year it's probably not quite enough to support the lifestyle to which they've become accustomed to.
Yep he has a wife and daughters, a frugal lifestyle generally doesn't mesh with that.

I believe they are setting it up for Calbert to take over. Not saying it’s a good idea, but I believe the people who want it to remain RMK-era basketball want to hang onto the last thread.
A new coach would have to be a proven winner at some level.

I believe they are setting it up for Calbert to take over. Not saying it’s a good idea, but I believe the people who want it to remain RMK-era basketball want to hang onto the last thread.
If that were to happen I'd never ever follow IU hoops (barely do now) ever ever again. And he is my 2nd alltime favorite Hoosier.

His salary with the Knicks was $4mil/yr. Any way you cut it he made good money in the NBA and I can’t believe he lives payday to payday. Assuming I wasn’t hurting for money and was further screwing my beloved Hoosiers then yes I would go without a second thought.
That’s a crock of BS. No you wouldn’t. Nobody would.

Reactions: Willdog7
Maybe he secretly still holds a grudge against IU for the way they treated RMK and he is here to run the program further into the ground than it already is. He's setting up a season next year where we will have no players, then he will resign in late August after all the available coaches have already accepted other jobs.
He holds a grudge cause he thinks he should have been hired earlier on cause he went to iu.

• Sad
Reactions: Willdog7
When the season ends and Reneau and Mgbako hit the portal that might tip the scale to fire him. Remember last year when Dickerson left to Kansas I could see Reneau and Mgbsko leaving for a winner like Kansas or Duke.
I think that any of us, placed in a high admin position, would ask everyone if they are coming back. If you get a few “NOs” and a few “I have not decided” then you know the locker room is awful and the coaching staff must leave.

Reactions: ndhuntington
I think that any of us, placed in a high admin position, would ask everyone if they are coming back. If you get a few “NOs” and a few “I have not decided” then you know the locker room is awful and the coaching staff must leave.
i sill cannot believe these guys are calling the shots and keeping woodson. I guess when you get older buddies trump reality and you stick to your buddy no matter what.

Last edited:

lol....I'm not going to go into it, but RMK played himself, dude. Go through life acting like him and see if you don't eventually play yourself.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT