ADVERTISEMENT

I think Woodson and IU

My highly unlikely theory is that the news Woody is coming back was put out there by IU so it can look like Woody is leaving on his own at the end of the year. They can blame health issues or whatever they would like. Rumors of a players only meeting with Dolson in the last week or so surfaced and it was told to the players at that time.

I’m gunna believe it for as long as possible! Lol

Last edited:
My highly unlikely theory is that the news Woody is coming back was put out there by IU so it can look like Woody is leaving on his own at the end of the year. They can blame health issues or whatever they would like. Rumors of a player only meeting in the last week or so surfaced and it was told to the players at that time.

If the players know I would think it would leak out. I like your theory that Woody will go, but if there is not a leak in the next day or two, I would feel he is coming back.

My highly unlikely theory is that the news Woody is coming back was put out there by IU so it can look like Woody is leaving on his own at the end of the year. They can blame health issues or whatever they would like. Rumors of a players only meeting with Dolson in the last week or so surfaced and it was told to the players at that time.

When I said I am not gong anywhere guys I knew we were doomed. Woodson will not leave on his own.

The signs point to that, or maybe that's just what I want to believe. It's almost if he gave up mid-season. Hasn't contacted LM, zero recruits, doesn't want to talk about recruiting or his job, and hasn't spoken to Leal or Galloway. If I didn't know better, I'd say that Woody has been sliding into retirement while somebody else is coaching.

When I said I am not gong anywhere guys I knew we were doomed. Woodson will not leave on his own.

So are all the players out on him? If you have talent in an open market, sometimes a bigger paycheck doesn't keep you there. You might work hard to build your resume shortly before leaving.

Call me delusional, If I am going to leave . I would leave on my terms, not because of disgruntled fans.

You’d just bid adieu to all those millions just like that, huh?

His salary with the Knicks was $4mil/yr. Any way you cut it he made good money in the NBA and I can’t believe he lives payday to payday. Assuming I wasn’t hurting for money and was further screwing my beloved Hoosiers then yes I would go without a second thought.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
He’s not leaving.
I tend to agree. I'm in the minority in this thread, in that I agree with the decision to give him one more season, but I also think it's clear he won't quit however it goes. He's never quit any of his other jobs, good season or not.

His recent press conference responses also piss me off. "No comment" is not an acceptable response to reporters when they ask one of the highest paid public employees about an essential job function like recruiting.

It makes zero sense to keep him at IU. He has set the program up for failure in the future. He literally has no recruiting class and will lose at the least 4 guys.
Ware, X, Walker, MM.
Galloway, Leal possibly and not to mention he already had one open scholarship.
Program is in rough shape moving forward and IU decides to stick with him? Very odd move.

I tend to agree. I'm in the minority in this thread, in that I agree with the decision to give him one more season, but I also think it's clear he won't quit however it goes. He's never quit any of his other jobs, good season or not.

His recent press conference responses also piss me off. "No comment" is not an acceptable response to reporters when they ask one of the highest paid public employees about an essential job function like recruiting.

Of course he's not going to quit. Woodson seems like a guy with a pretty big ego. No way a guy like this just up and walks away. Why would he, especially when it appears he has some powerful people in his corner?

I think the loss of McNeeley proves to be Woodson's "jump the shark" moment. A little inkling of it came with Queen's announcement for Maryland. I knew McNeeley had really been working on him to team up together at IU, in fulfillment of the Monteverde pipeline of coveted renown. Between the progressing season (especially) and his good buddy, Queen, leaving him as our only '24 recruit, it might not set well with Liam. ("Liam, is who I am!")

BTW, Mike Davis' "jump the shark moment" (JTSM elsewhere from here) was the Iowa home game he reportedly spent cloistered in his basement, having called in (mentally?) "sick" just hours prior to tipoff.

Archie Miller's JTSM (bingo!) was his debut game in Assembly Hall, a 29 pt loss to...hold onto your pee-shooters, the Bird-less Indiana State Sycamore's. I'd love to hear Fisch's post game coach's interview from that one. Just for the record, this JTSM could almost have been Archie's loss to PU, what might well become one of the more cherished moments in the Annals of IU Basketball History, the return of a forgiving Robert Montgomery Knight to an equally forgiving and adoring SRO crowd in fire marshall-less packed Assembly Hall. It wasn't just that we lost, but that we got taken to school by PURDUE. Whoever scheduled his return for that particular game should have been immediately banned from stepping foot inside of Dunn's Meadow or his Woods, always never ever again!

Woodson will be back, his team will suck next season, and he will be fired in twelve months. Anyone who doesn’t see that is delusional.
He will not be back, there's nothing to build upon and the writing is on the wall to everyone everywhere that things are in hibernation program-wise, and $$$ wise, until it's dealt with

Woody is getting another year — he’s got a lot of support like it or not. It’s crazy.

He won’t quit or resign. I can’t think of any coach that has done that — maybe someone knows of an example? Also he may as well get terminated so he gets the buyout (resignation gets no buyout) and work with IU to make the messaging sound good (CMW agrees to retire or whatever).

I guess we’ll see how the portal goes.

Well actually, Mike Davis did just that. He announced his resignation with several games left in the season. But there is no way Woodson will do this.
Ah, I forgot, good call.

I guess they reached a settlement per below. So that’s how this could go, but I doubt it will.

“Davis has reached a contract settlement with the university and will continue to coach through the end of the season.”

have already discussed plans for departure and it will happen. Maybe i'm delerious, but i mean, how does it NOT happen?
I believe they are setting it up for Calbert to take over. Not saying it’s a good idea, but I believe the people who want it to remain RMK-era basketball want to hang onto the last thread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT