ADVERTISEMENT

I think the era of Blue bloods is over.

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
And here is why:

1. One and dones.

2. No need to sit on the bench waiting your turn. Just transfer to another school.

3. NIL money.

If Robert Montgomery Knight was coaching in this era, none of his players would have put up with his shit.

It is a different era. Woody is doing his best to create an atmosphere where seniors will be rewarded for their loyalty. And he may be able to do it. But it is certainly more difficult than it was just a year ago.

The Hoosiers are going to have to reinvent themselves every year. Just like all the other programs with legendary histories, that history means virtually nothing to an 18-year-old kid. How good are the Hoosiers going to be next season. That demands who the Hoosiers get in the portal. The answer is the same for every other program.

I would add too that many of the blue blood coaches have retired: Coach K, Roy, Jay Wright, Cal has lost his swagger, etc... Its tough for these programs to keep it going at that high level when there is a coaching change.

Reactions: HillyardGates
And here is why:

1. One and dones.

2. No need to sit on the bench waiting your turn. Just transfer to another school.

3. NIL money.

If Robert Montgomery Knight was coaching in this era, none of his players would have put up with his shit.

It is a different era. Woody is doing his best to create an atmosphere where seniors will be rewarded for their loyalty. And he may be able to do it. But it is certainly more difficult than it was just a year ago.

The Hoosiers are going to have to reinvent themselves every year. Just like all the other programs with legendary histories, that history means virtually nothing to an 18-year-old kid. How good are the Hoosiers going to be next season. That demands who the Hoosiers get in the portal. The answer is the same for every other program.
The answer isn’t the same for every other program and all players aren’t the same then or now.

If the strategy is to look for your core players in the portal then you have a high risk strategy or possibly must make it well known you have NBA+ amounts of NIL money available for transfers.

I find it easier to just accept that amateur college basketball as we knew it is dead. The key players are all professionals, and the teams have just an affiliation with the schools. The student part of student athlete doesn't matter all that much for the stars, especially with the way they are switching schools. Maybe it's been like that for awhile and it's just more obvious and in the light of day now. Wondering how it will all look in 10 years or so. I think the fan support will start to drop off as the game more and more becomes an NBA minor league, but just my opinion. I don't find the dribble drive and kick out offense all that interesting.

I find it easier to just accept that amateur college basketball as we knew it is dead. The key players are all professionals, and the teams have just an affiliation with the schools. The student part of student athlete doesn't matter all that much for the stars, especially with the way they are switching schools. Maybe it's been like that for awhile and it's just more obvious and in the light of day now. Wondering how it will all look in 10 years or so. I think the fan support will start to drop off as the game more and more becomes an NBA minor league, but just my opinion. I don't find the dribble drive and kick out offense all that interesting.
I can't remember the last time a "student athlete" was suspended for grades. I can't believe all these guys suddenly are smarter.

And here is why:

1. One and dones.

3. NIL money.

We're 1 year removed from a Final Four of Duke, UNC, Villanova, and Kansas...

You could end up being right. But I think its a bit early to write the Blue Blood eulogy.

And here is why:

1. One and dones.

3. NIL money.

While the transfer portal has taken many mid major stars from their teams, it also has brought in DII players that thrive for those teams that lost players plus from other mid major schools. I like how smaller schools are doing better now but IU just doesn't often find those great shooters from portals. I don't know why either. IU and the state of Indiana was always known for prolific shooters. Not so much now.

The NCAA basketball committee doesn't like blue blood dynasties. This is why there have been so many rules changes over the years...the 20 second clock, the three point shot, etc. Back in the old days, relatively few games were televised, but those that were saw only the best teams with the most followers. Parents encouraged their talented kids to attend these "blue blood" distant schools if they could be watched. Today, almost all schools have their games available to view for a small price so this is less of a factor for the elite schools.

Parents today are hoverers, like the helicopters heard overhead. Kids grow up with "me-me-me" attitudes. "Today" has been here long enough that these people are old enough now to be in authoritative roles, calling the shots. This is why they come up with rules like "the portal" that seem ruinous to old timers, while the younger generation finds it invigorating to the game. People are like dogs. The older they get, the more they resist new tricks. The portal rule is just the latest trick to deceive the perception of tradition.

You may see more one year blips, dips, etc. from top programs, but programs with strong head coaches will be the ones consistently playing the second and third week of the tournament. College basketball always comes back to the head coach.

Watched UConn play in Albany and they look like a machine under Hurley. Talk about well coached. They're going to be a monster in the coming years.

Kansas just won their 17th Big 12 title under Self. UCLA is rolling under Cronin. Kentucky's recruiting class next year is a throwback to early Calipari classes.

UNC will bring in a new coach if they have another down season. Duke will be interesting, it's so hard to follow a legend, they could be in for some down years just due to expectations.

GIF by Giphy QA

Yep, nobody gets suspended for grades or not attending class anymore. The term student athlete has gone out the window.
Why is that? Back in the day, IU fans knew the name of the faculty advisor who had a position on the team as the one responsible for overseeing the study habits of Bob Knight's players. Did her last name start with a "K"..."Buzz" Kurpius? She was often praised by the players during Senior Day speeches. Who oversees their eligibility today and why does no one care to know?

Reactions: 82hoosier
And here is why:

1. One and dones.

3. NIL money.

Be curious to see if the NCAA is even around in 10 years. Conference realignment(see 2 megaconferences) is not over.

Reactions: bailey777
I’d say college basketball is teetering on the brink. The NIL, the Covid exception, and the transfer portal have changed everything, and little for the better I can see
Yes it is. I wonder how much interest I will even have in watching college bbal in say ten years as it basially will just become like an NBA farm league. And the lessons being taught to the kids are well if you have a little adversity or things get tough in life you can just leave no issue. Boy when they get out in the real world some will be in for a very rude awakening.

I
Yep, nobody gets suspended for grades or not attending class anymore. The term student athlete has gone out the window.
I have not heard of a player getting suspended for grades in a decade. Used to happen all the time in the 80's and 90's. But I am sure all these five stars going to Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, etc are just so much darn smarter than the players in the 80's. LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: IndyGlen
And here is why:

1. One and dones.

3. NIL money.

One had dones has been around forever, but what has really changed the game is the portal. It seems that just about every team that is moving on in this tourney has benefited from it. Look at Iowa St last year when they went from winning just 2 games the previous year, losing their whole team to graduation and transfer, then diving into the portal and getting a whole new team and going 22-13 and making the NCAA tournament!

The competition to lure transfers is now more fierce than recruiting HS kids, because you know what you’re getting and can conceivably turn your program completely around.

Reactions: 82hoosier
I think it is a wait and see what happens once NIL and xfer portal settles in.

2 and 3 would favor Blue Bloods or the schools that get a player the most NIL bucks. I heard an interview and the first question being asked now is how much can get paid. IU should be in good shape for this, right?

Are the multiple high level one and dones still a big factor for power conferences? Transfer portal seems to be heading in a direction that good upperclassmen from mid majors will be looking to xfer to bigger power conferences. Over longer period of time what will that mean?

Blue Bloods will always be Blue Bloods whether they are good or not. It's a history thing. The other Power conference teams have likely closed the gap so maybe not all Blue bloods all the time.

I think it is a wait and see what happens once NIL and xfer portal settles in.

2 and 3 would favor Blue Bloods or the schools that get a player the most NIL bucks. I heard an interview and the first question being asked now is how much can get paid. IU should be in good shape for this, right?

Are the multiple high level one and dones still a big factor for power conferences? Transfer portal seems to be heading in a direction that good upperclassmen from mid majors will be looking to xfer to bigger power conferences. Over longer period of time what will that mean?

Blue Bloods will always be Blue Bloods whether they are good or not. It's a history thing. The other Power conference teams have likely closed the gap so maybe not all Blue bloods all the time.
I’m sure UK, Duke, UNC, and Kansas have boosters who will find ways to pay out huge sums for NIL. TJD made about $900,000 this year, so I’m sure those programs I listed have million dollar athletes on their rosters. Certainly the power football schools, like in the SEC, can do this too.

I

I have not heard of a player getting suspended for grades in a decade. Used to happen all the time in the 80's and 90's. But I am sure all these five stars going to Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, etc are just so much darn smarter than the players in the 80's. LOL!
They have been in football, but you're right, I can't remember the last basketball player that was suspended for grades.

Reactions: bailey777
And here is why:

1. One and dones.

3. NIL money.

I bet Duke..Carolina....Kansas and UK don't go away..
Indiana...Well we've been away..
💯

They have been in football, but you're right, I can't remember the last basketball player that was suspended for grades.
At IU I remember AJ Ratliff getting suspended and that is the last one I can remember. That was probably 15 years ago.

A.J. Ratliff left the Indiana basketball team during the second semester of his senior year for undisclosed personal reasons. He had missed the first semester after being academically ineligible and then in early February of 2008

Yes it is. I wonder how much interest I will even have in watching college bbal in say ten years as it basially will just become like an NBA farm league.
One thing to keep in mind, there is a whole generation of people coming up who experience a different reality from that of yesteryear. Their "way things used to be" will be different from ours when they are older. This generation will have known college basketball only as an NBA farm-like experience so they will not be as turned off by it as someone who experienced an earlier reality perceived as a better one.

I'm a child of the 60's and I remember how appalled parents were at my younger generation's bell-bottomed trousers, long hair, Nehru jackets with gold medallions, buffalo sandals, grass, etc. They thought society was going to be going to hell in a hand basket, based in comparison to their different reality when more youthful. That said, I'm not so sure they weren't right.

At IU I remember AJ Ratliff getting suspended and that is the last one I can remember. That was probably 15 years ago.

A.J. Ratliff left the Indiana basketball team during the second semester of his senior year for undisclosed personal reasons. He had missed the first semester after being academically ineligible and then in early February of 2008
I remember hearing whispers of a mental sort of thing, perhaps other than or in addition to contributing to poor grades.

We're 1 year removed from a Final Four of Duke, UNC, Villanova, and Kansas...

You could end up being right. But I think it’s a bit early to write the Blue Blood eulogy.
And a veteran laden Kansas team with a homegrown starting lineup won the whole thing. If anything, I think it puts even more importance on hiring well. Duke/ UNC decided to keep it in the family rather than pursuing the best coach available. We’ll see how it works out but I’d say early returns are lukewarm for both. UCLA said screw it and went out and got a proven winner, I think Mick will thrive there.

Kansas is going to be in the hot seat soon as I don’t think Self coaches into his late 60’s, he’s maintained that he doesn’t want to die on the sideline and recent events might have shortened his time left as a coach even more.

The lesson, imo, is go out and get a proven winner. A Beard, a Cronin, write the blank check.

Consistent success in College basketball will continue to be about coaching and who can get those 25-75 ranked guys to stick around for multiple years. I don’t think NIL and the transfer portal change that equation all that much.

Reactions: IndyGlen
While I intensely dislike the transfer portal rules and the NIL free-for-all, one small but good effect is that some (if not most) of the best teams are more upperclassman-based than they have been in recent years.

Juniors and seniors tend to play smarter, more thoughtfully, and with much more consistent purpose than the one-and-done guys driving the bus at UK and Duke, as examples. NIL makes them able to stick around, at least.

One thing to keep in mind, there is a whole generation of people coming up who experience a different reality from that of yesteryear. Their "way things used to be" will be different from ours when they are older. This generation will have known college basketball only as an NBA farm-like experience so they will not be as turned off by it as someone who experienced an earlier reality perceived as a better one.

I'm a child of the 60's and I remember how appalled parents were at my younger generation's bell-bottomed trousers, long hair, Nehru jackets with gold medallions, buffalo sandals, grass, etc. They thought society was going to be going to hell in a hand basket, based in comparison to their different reality when more youthful. That said, I'm not so sure they weren't right.
I have not watched the NBA in a long long time and honestly I really do not miss it that much. There probably will come a point where I may not even watch college bbal either but I have found other things to do. It is just not the center of my winter like it used to be. I never ever used to miss an IU game in the 90's ever. I am sure some of it has to do with us not being as good but I honestly do not enjoy the way the game is now as I used to. That is just me though and I can always find old games on you tube to watch.

Reactions: birdforbogey
While I intensely dislike the transfer portal rules and the NIL free-for-all, one small but good effect is that some (if not most) of the best teams are more upperclassman-based than they have been in recent years.

Juniors and seniors tend to play smarter, more thoughtfully, and with much more consistent purpose than the one-and-done guys driving the bus at UK and Duke, as examples. NIL makes them able to stick around, at least.
JHS encapsulated this perfectly on Sunday. The most talented guard on the floor played us into a deficit that we spent the rest of the first half climbing out of. Wong and Miller on the other hand played excellent, disciplined ball.

I’m sure UK, Duke, UNC, and Kansas have boosters who will find ways to pay out huge sums for NIL. TJD made about $900,000 this year, so I’m sure those programs I listed have million dollar athletes on their rosters. Certainly the power football schools, like in the SEC, can do this too.
Leal played in what 11 games this year? yet he was able to pay off his sisters school loans? How screwed up is that?

The NCAA basketball committee doesn't like blue blood dynasties. This is why there have been so many rules changes over the years...the 20 second clock, the three point shot, etc. Back in the old days, relatively few games were televised, but those that were saw only the best teams with the most followers. Parents encouraged their talented kids to attend these "blue blood" distant schools if they could be watched. Today, almost all schools have their games available to view for a small price so this is less of a factor for the elite schools.

Parents today are hoverers, like the helicopters heard overhead. Kids grow up with "me-me-me" attitudes. "Today" has been here long enough that these people are old enough now to be in authoritative roles, calling the shots. This is why they come up with rules like "the portal" that seem ruinous to old timers, while the younger generation finds it invigorating to the game. People are like dogs. The older they get, the more they resist new tricks. The portal rule is just the latest trick to deceive the perception of tradition.
What a load of crap.

Reactions: outside shooter
I have not watched the NBA in a long long time and honestly I really do not miss it that much. There probably will come a point where I may not even watch college bbal either but I have found other things to do. It is just not the center of my winter like it used to be. I never ever used to miss an IU game in the 90's ever. I am sure some of it has to do with us not being as good but I honestly do not enjoy the way the game is now as I used to. That is just me though and I can always find old games on you tube to watch.
I basically quit following the Pacers when Reggie Miller retired. I couldn't begin to tell you who starts for them now. I'm so engrained in watching IU basketball, over 60 years now, I suspect I'll continue to do so until the sun sets on my day for the final time.

And a veteran laden Kansas team with a homegrown starting lineup won the whole thing. If anything, I think it puts even more importance on hiring well. Duke/ UNC decided to keep it in the family rather than pursuing the best coach available. We’ll see how it works out but I’d say early returns are lukewarm for both. UCLA said screw it and went out and got a proven winner, I think Mick will thrive there.

Kansas is going to be in the hot seat soon as I don’t think Self coaches into his late 60’s, he’s maintained that he doesn’t want to die on the sideline and recent events might have shortened his time left as a coach even more.

The lesson, imo, is go out and get a proven winner. A Beard, a Cronin, write the blank check.

Consistent success in College basketball will continue to be about coaching and who can get those 25-75 ranked guys to stick around for multiple years. I don’t think NIL and the transfer portal change that equation all that much.
Yes! “Blue blood” is a meaningless term. It was, is and always will be about coaching. Programs rise and fall not based on some mystical persona but based on exceptional coaches

The bigger a joke it is, the more insistent the NCAA gets. Witness the scorers’ table during the tournament — for a good chunk of the game there’s digital signage sure to include the term.

Anyone around here ever heard of Butler? Pretty sure they suspended 2 players for their conference tournament because of grades. Google it.

Anyone around here ever heard of Butler? Pretty sure they suspended 2 players for their conference tournament because of grades. Google it.
Who might that have been? Let me guess...Dumb and Dumber. Seriously, I did Google it and couldn't find anything on 2023 Butler basketball player suspensions. Since you brought it up, why don't YOU Google it so you're more than just "pretty sure".

Butler kicked a couple of kids Including Eric Hunter off the squad for academic reasons I think this very month- correct?

I would think the "blue bloods" would have more money and thus more NIL money making their blood even bluer.

I mean let's be honest. The main blue bloods have been paying players for 30 years at least. Now other programs can compete. More parity is good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT