ADVERTISEMENT

I see a lot of post on starting

I don't know what you're talking about. He didn't even start for St Mary's last season. Max Biefeldt didn't start either and he was probably a step above Fitzner. Evan is a role player nothing more.
Fitzner started for two years at St Mary's and he'll probably be our starting 5 early in the season. Still a role player, but most likely in a starting role.

Reactions: baileyiu
I don't know what you're talking about. He didn't even start for St Mary's last season. Max Biefeldt didn't start either and he was probably a step above Fitzner. Evan is a role player nothing more.

What is McRob?

McRob is not starting in front of Smith at the 3 and Morgan at the 4.

fwiw - you underestimate Zach. First he's not a typical walk on, he signed with a D-1 school. Secondly, he had the 3rd best offensive efficiency behind JM, DD last year. He may not be prolific, but he didn't need to be and it wasn't his role.

Well defined roles, something Crean dismissed, means you don't need five scorers on the floor at the same time. It's not EA sports. Also, teams still have to play him tight, 39% from 3 last year.

His biggest weakness was TO, which was way too high for his role.. If someone beats him out of his starting job, it will be well earned, but it won't be because of scoring. They'll have to D-up and hustle as well or better.

Fitz's playing time and Zach's playing time have nothing to do with the other. Different positions.

Being 3rd in any offensive category for IU last year isn’t saying much. And McRob hit 13 3 pointers last year while attempting 33....Morgan shot it better from 3.

Whoever is guarding Zach can help on others.

Now, is it as bad as Newkirk? No. But it’s a obvious weakness that can be easily taken advantage of.

McRob will be in the rotation, but if he plays 22 mins a game like he did last year, some of IUs talent will be considered a bust.

Green, Romeo, McRob, Smith, Morgan. That is very likely our starting 5 at the beginning .

Morgan and Smith are not going to guard the other teams center.

McSwain did that last year at 6’5”.....

Smith and Morgan are your forwards.

Morgan and Smith are not going to guard the other teams center.

McSwain did that last year at 6’5”.....

Smith and Morgan are your forwards.

I think you're wrong but we'll see. Smith is much more of a 4 right now than a 3. If Fitz starts Justin is likely not.

Not sure how long you can keep Jerome Hunter out of the starting lineup. He will get some playing time and the Hoosiers can go very big if they wanted to depending on Fitzner and Davis being able to help. Small wont be as small if Hunter plays the 3 and can handle the ball like he did in HS. I could see a quick long lineup of Morgan, Hunter, Smith, Langford and Green. If you need a banger then Fitzner or Thompson can come in as well. Indiana should have some flexibility next year :)

Reactions: darkhawk returns
Not sure how long you can keep Jerome Hunter out of the starting lineup. He will get some playing time and the Hoosiers can go very big if they wanted to depending on Fitzner and Davis being able to help. Small wont be as small if Hunter plays the 3 and can handle the ball like he did in HS. I could see a quick long lineup of Morgan, Hunter, Smith, Langford and Green. If you need a banger then Fitzner or Thompson can come in as well. Indiana should have some flexibility next year :)

Would not surprise me to see Jerome start at some point. I'm told that he's already miles ahead of where Smith was a year ago.

I can't imagine Fitzner being recruited if he can't guard the 5. Morgan will have more freedom with fouls but if Davis isn't ready (which seems likely), Fitzner, Morgan, and either Smith or McRoberts seems likely. Romeo and Durham or Green at guard.

I can't imagine Fitzner being recruited if he can't guard the 5. Morgan will have more freedom with fouls but if Davis isn't ready (which seems likely), Fitzner, Morgan, and either Smith or McRoberts seems likely. Romeo and Durham or Green at guard.

He can and will guard the 5 just not start. Remember that he wasn't good enough to start on an NIT team last season but some are expecting him to start here.

McRoberts brings a lot of intangibles that are not measured. The tip out saving a ball possession, the defensive positioning for a rebound or charge, the non flashy pass for a bucket, or the hockey assist pass which set up the easy assist, the hustle on the floor for the ball saving a poissession, he has a high BB IQ. McRoberts is a winner, he makes winning plays when it's winning time, and pressure situations seem to have no effect on him, he still makes the correct play. He is mature in his thinking on the court.
If you are right I think it will be a long season. I like his attitude and his defensive hustle. But let’s not forget that he was afraid to shoot the ball. Even when the defense challenged him to take an open shot he would usually pass it up. No need to play four on five this year. Just my opinion.
If he can show the same improvement this year over the previous year then maybe it’s a different story.

Last edited:
Reactions: IndianaHoops
If you are right I think it will be a long season. I like his attitude and his defensive hustle. But let’s not forget that he was afraid to shoot the ball. Even when the defense challenged him to take an open shot he would usually pass it up. No need to play four on five this year. Just my opinion.
If he can show the same improvement this year over the previous year then maybe it’s a different story.

I've never seen a single IU player take so much grief from what I previously thought was a pretty intelligent fanbase. I don't see how anyone could watch last year's team and his play and not see the value he brings... despite being cautious to shoot (not sure why he was on that team... he was one of our better shooters!). Still if a kid is making good decisions, rebounding, playing good D and putting his teammates in better position to score the ball, it's hardly playing 4 on 5 (ever hear of Brian Sloan?). He was one of our better players last year; often our 2nd or 3rd best player... and oh, by the way, he's not on scholarship. Yes, this is a more talented team, but: 1) he's more experienced and guess what? may very well be less hesitant to shoot this year, 2) he'll be important to stabilize the team, teach and lead the younger guys, and 3) we added better offensive players, so he'll be even less pressured and more likely to score when he does shoot. He's still going to have a valuable role this year.

Did you see St. Mary's last year? They ONLY finished 30-6 and were left out of the NCAA due to not being as big of a draw as power 5 teams. I think you don't have any business in this conversation if you are judging the kid for being the 6th man on a better team than you think....

He can and will guard the 5 just not start. Remember that he wasn't good enough to start on an NIT team last season but some are expecting him to start here.

Coming in to the year, do you think he was expecting to need to shoot the ball or do you think he thought he would just be a role player? Was Dakich a negative to OSU? McRoberts will start (at least to start the year) because of his intangibles. He can hit the open shot when he doesn't hesitate and has confidence (and improved as the year went along). Either way, I'm glad starting lineups are determined by more than just official stats and fan opinion. You can't win without players willing to do the little things (look at most of Warriors team). If it's the star players, great, but look at who has consistently shown the ability to do them...

Coming in to the year, do you think he was expecting to need to shoot the ball or do you think he thought he would just be a role player? Was Dakich a negative to OSU? McRoberts will start (at least to start the year) because of his intangibles. He can hit the open shot when he doesn't hesitate and has confidence (and improved as the year went along). Either way, I'm glad starting lineups are determined by more than just official stats and fan opinion. You can't win without players willing to do the little things (look at most of Warriors team). If it's the star players, great, but look at who has consistently shown the ability to do them...

I always think of another player who was regularly "hesitant to shoot": Dennis Rodman. Amazing that his teams were so successful playing 4 on 5 too!

I’m guessing that Fitzner will be starting. His ability to stretch the floor really opens it up for Morgan and Romeo.

Does anyone know how similar Mark Few's style of play is to Archie's? Fitzner may have some growing pains learning a brand new system, I just hope he is ready and understanding of it by BIG season.

I think most people are just taking a wait and see approach after what happened with Moore last year. We were repeatedly told he was a big time player who would compete for a starting position come Big Ten season.

It turned out he didn’t even sniff the floor in garbage time, nor did he deserve to. And that was on a pretty bad team.

Every year we overhype the majority of incoming players who we’ve only seen highlight tapes on. It’s what fans do. Taking a wait and see approach isn’t all that bad of an idea.

I think Dan Dakich was the one always hyping him up.

Assuming Davis is healthy, do you see Fitzner playing ahead of Davis to start the year?
I could see where Davis might not start if he returns late in the season. He will come back slow and his minutes may be more useful as a reserve. Archie will make that call once he sees how Davis and Fitzner are playing.

Start the players that gets us out front early. I don't care who that is. Finish the game with your best players.

I've never seen a single IU player take so much grief from what I previously thought was a pretty intelligent fanbase. I don't see how anyone could watch last year's team and his play and not see the value he brings... despite being cautious to shoot (not sure why he was on that team... he was one of our better shooters!). Still if a kid is making good decisions, rebounding, playing good D and putting his teammates in better position to score the ball, it's hardly playing 4 on 5 (ever hear of Brian Sloan?). He was one of our better players last year; often our 2nd or 3rd best player... and oh, by the way, he's not on scholarship. Yes, this is a more talented team, but: 1) he's more experienced and guess what? may very well be less hesitant to shoot this year, 2) he'll be important to stabilize the team, teach and lead the younger guys, and 3) we added better offensive players, so he'll be even less pressured and more likely to score when he does shoot. He's still going to have a valuable role this year.

I don’t disagree with your post. He showed great improvement last year. He did not turn the ball over but he only scored 2.4 points a game while playing 22 minutes. And this was a team desperate for scorers. It is just that there likely will be a lot more talent competing for playing time this year. I also implied that he will likely to show continued improvement. He was a hell of a lot better player last year.

I am also not forgetting that last year’s team did not have enough talent to make the NIT. Not a slam - just a reality check.

I think CAM even said he is going to have to develop a shooters mentality.

Highly doubt that. I'm told McRoberts is a near lock to start. We know Romeo and Morgan are starting so that would mean Smith is coming off the bench. I can't see Justin not starting .
Justin wouldn’t be coming off the bench, he would be starting with Morgan and Fitz. Having a big, mobile, outside shooting forward will do wonders for this team on offense. In the video I watched of him, he appeared to be very agile, great feet, and of course, can shoot it. If he’s a decent defender, and I expect he’ll be even more than that, he’s going to start and play a lot. McRob would be an ideal backup for him, especially if he develops the confidence to shoot it when open. No more days of playing 4 or 3 against 5 on offense.

Oh boy.....

Nobody is knocking the kid. Just saying that a walk on for a 16-15 team last year won’t start this year.

Of course he will be in rotation, but some of you are kinda making him sound like a border line all Conference player.

McRob won’t play 20 mins a game like he did last year. There are simply too many kids that bring more to the table then he can. Again, not criticizing the kid, just saying a walk on might not be as high up the depth chart.

I don’t disagree with your post. He showed great improvement last year. He did not turn the ball over but he only scored 2.4 points a game while playing 22 minutes. And this was a team desperate for scorers. It is just that there likely will be a lot more talent competing for playing time this year. I also implied that he will likely to show continued improvement. He was a hell of a lot better player last year.

I am also not forgetting that last year’s team did not have enough talent to make the NIT. Not a slam - just a reality check.

I think CAM even said he is going to have to develop a shooters mentality.
This will be interesting. Someone mentioned Brian Sloan as an example and I could see Zach getting more time as the team needs fewer scorers, his skills become more valuable.

That sounds like a fantastic system, and gives me hope the transition to Archie's system will be fluid.
It should be, both offenses are based on movement, spacing and passing. The biggest difference is that SM didn't run much while we'll push the pace when it's there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT