ADVERTISEMENT

I Now Declare This To Be a Full Epidemic

Crossblock

Senior
Jan 8, 2019
If You watched the Lions-Chiefs game Thursday, You saw the controversy about linemen lining up in the backfield. I noticed this somewhat in College Football and took a closer look Saturday. There are a number of situations where it appears that the Tackles are bowed so far back that they are both in the backfield. I saw one wide angle shot of a team lined up for a PAT, and it appeared that both the blocking wing backs and the Ends inside of them were both lined up in the backfield. Several Observations.

1. When I was playing High school Ball in the dark Ages of the 1960's our Coaching staff put a lot of time into getting a proper alignment. You set yourself from the Center out and tried to create as straight a line as possible. it was a matter of discipline, fundamentals and paying attention to detail and lining up in a stance that didn't tip off the type of play or direction. Now I'm seeing guys Who are lined up almost opening up in the stance and showing they will be pass blocking with a certain set.

2. I don't blame the Coaches for Coaching or allowing this. It goes back to the old Nascar Creed of " If You ain't cheating, You ain't trying'" It's the Officials job to enforce the rule, and therein lies the problem. Nobody wants to pay big price for a game ticket to watch an Official throw a flag every other play and walk off 5 yards for an illegal formation penalty.

3. Have We reached the point in football that basketball reached a number of years ago? We don't want people paying big price for tickets to watch a Star Plaer on the bench with foul trouble 5 minutes into the game, and fouled out early in the Second Half, so We ignore some fouls. We no longer have players that are fundamentally sound, so we allow traveling, double dribble and carrying the ball or dribbling without your hand on top of the ball. Don't We think Linemen can be taught the fundamentals of lining up in accordance with the rules.

What is the solution if You want this changed? Make the penalty for illegal formation penalties larger. Increase it to 10 Yards and loss of down. Now You are forcing the Coaches to teach proper alignment and get their players to follow the rule.

If You watched the Lions-Chiefs game Thursday, You saw the controversy about linemen lining up in the backfield. I noticed this somewhat in College Football and took a closer look Saturday. There are a number of situations where it appears that the Tackles are bowed so far back that they are both in the backfield. I saw one wide angle shot of a team lined up for a PAT, and it appeared that both the blocking wing backs and the Ends inside of them were both lined up in the backfield. Several Observations.

1. When I was playing High school Ball in the dark Ages of the 1960's our Coaching staff put a lot of time into getting a proper alignment. You set yourself from the Center out and tried to create as straight a line as possible. it was a matter of discipline, fundamentals and paying attention to detail and lining up in a stance that didn't tip off the type of play or direction. Now I'm seeing guys Who are lined up almost opening up in the stance and showing they will be pass blocking with a certain set.

2. I don't blame the Coaches for Coaching or allowing this. It goes back to the old Nascar Creed of " If You ain't cheating, You ain't trying'" It's the Officials job to enforce the rule, and therein lies the problem. Nobody wants to pay big price for a game ticket to watch an Official throw a flag every other play and walk off 5 yards for an illegal formation penalty.

3. Have We reached the point in football that basketball reached a number of years ago? We don't want people paying big price for tickets to watch a Star Plaer on the bench with foul trouble 5 minutes into the game, and fouled out early in the Second Half, so We ignore some fouls. We no longer have players that are fundamentally sound, so we allow traveling, double dribble and carrying the ball or dribbling without your hand on top of the ball. Don't We think Linemen can be taught the fundamentals of lining up in accordance with the rules.

What is the solution if You want this changed? Make the penalty for illegal formation penalties larger. Increase it to 10 Yards and loss of down. Now You are forcing the Coaches to teach proper alignment and get their players to follow the rule.
The answer is the same one for my pet peeve, players wearing shorts instead of football pants. Enforce the rules and make the teams obey the rules. A couple of years back they emphasize making players cover their knees with pants and pads, teams and players followed the rules. Now that it isn't called, we are back to the way it was before the emphasis because the players think it makes them faster to not have their knees covered.

The answer is the same one for my pet peeve, players wearing shorts instead of football pants. Enforce the rules and make the teams obey the rules. A couple of years back they emphasize making players cover their knees with pants and pads, teams and players followed the rules. Now that it isn't called, we are back to the way it was before the emphasis because the players think it makes them faster to not have their knees covered.
It does make them faster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT