ADVERTISEMENT

I liked IU's intensity the last couple of minutes of the game when the players began full-court

McNutt76

Hall of Famer
Sep 1, 2001
pressing Penn State. Maybe Woody ought to have his players do that earlier in the game against many of their opponents.

Reactions: Zeke7 and 76-1
Should have done that from start of game and try to wear Penn St legs. After all it was their 3rd game in as many days.

Reactions: 76-1
pressing Penn State. Maybe Woody ought to have his players do that earlier in the game against many of their opponents.
I was thinking the same thing, Jerry. If only for a short while to wake up the zombies. Get the blood flowing . . . speed up the other team a little, see if they can handle it.

Reactions: IUSUMMERS
I don't think we have the depth to do it.

But I think we gave the blueprint to other teams who do.

They're a good team to press....their best ballhandler is fast as hell but is a freshman. Pickett's a good ball handler but he's not the quickest guy up and down the court.

I was thinking the same thing, Jerry. If only for a short while to wake up the zombies. Get the blood flowing . . . speed up the other team a little, see if they can handle it.
It also can cause the opponent to get a late start on its offense, Steve. As a result, they have to force up a shot before the shot clock goes off. Just a thought. I realize Bob Knight didn't believe in full-court presses, but the game has changed these past years.

It also can cause the opponent to get a late start on its offense, Steve. As a result, they have to force up a shot before the shot clock goes off. Just a thought. I realize Bob Knight didn't believe in full-court presses, but the game has changed these past years.
Yeah, I agree with you that the game has changed. My guess is Woody's still employing what RMK did . . . because he knows that's been successful in the past. That may be why he employed TJD as purely a post player on offense . . . the efficiency of a dunk or layup was greater with TJD in the post than it was with TJD shooting 3s . . . .

When Woody was coaching the Hawks his offense pretty much revolved around Joe Johnson in isolation . . . with Josh Smith to rebound and clean up Joe's misses. Iso-Joe was what it was called. I wonder whether that's in IU's future . . . I remember that when Woody got fired as the Hawks' coach, Steve Hollman (the Hawks' radio announcer) said that it was time for the players to hear a different voice, even if that voice was telling them the same thing that Woody was telling them. That might be a contributing reason TJD ain't coming back - that plus he's ready to up his income.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT