ADVERTISEMENT

I learned one thing from this migrant bussing issue this week.

At least you moved passed posting articles saying it is a Ponzi scheme (which is the first sign someone is clueless on Bitcoin). I’m going to count this as growth. #prouddadmoment

A large part of the praise from the right for the bussing move comes from exposing "hypocrisy". Strangely enough, NPR did it this morning in a much different way.

Many places in the Northeast have "residents only" beaches. The history of these beaches, and the continuation of these beaches, comes from the desire to keep Blacks and Hispanics off the beaches and out of these communities. And yes, Martha's Vineyard has these beaches.

A large part of the praise from the right for the bussing move comes from exposing "hypocrisy". Strangely enough, NPR did it this morning in a much different way.

Many places in the Northeast have "residents only" beaches. The history of these beaches, and the continuation of these beaches, comes from the desire to keep Blacks and Hispanics off the beaches and out of these communities. And yes, Martha's Vineyard has these beaches.

NPR huh.

There is absolutely no way this can be true today. If the beach is public, it’s public.

The issue is parking. Resident only parking is common in many locales, not just beaches. Denver has it during Bronco games and near other public venues. Where I spend time in Florida there are many resident only parking restrictions along the beach even though there are ample public walkways to beaches. Where I grew up on Lake Michigan, resident only parking goes back at least 70 years by my personal knowledge even though the beach was public.

The reference to racial covenants which have been against the law and unenforceable for generations is a nice touch. It reminds me of those who act like slavery only ended last year.

And “beach towns across the country”? What country are they talking about anyway.

Reactions: DANC
NPR huh.

There is absolutely no way this can be true today. If the beach is public, it’s public.

The issue is parking. Resident only parking is common in many locales, not just beaches. Denver has it during Bronco games and near other public venues. Where I spend time in Florida there are many resident only parking restrictions along the beach even though there are ample public walkways to beaches. Where I grew up on Lake Michigan, resident only parking goes back at least 70 years by my personal knowledge even though the beach was public.

The reference to racial covenants which have been against the law and unenforceable for generations is a nice touch. It reminds me of those who act like slavery only ended last year.

And “beach towns across the country”? What country are they talking about anyway.

The story mentions parking, but it is more:

Massachusetts has one of the country's most restricted coastlines, much of it privately owned down to the low-tide line or controlled by coastal towns that charge nonresidents much higher fees for entry or ban them outright. Wealthy shoreline communities in New Jersey and around Chicago have faced criticism for similar practices.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
I spent a lot of time at Massachusetts beaches. Very crowded with expensive parking ($30 a day, and that was 20 years ago) and privately owned sections.

Every foot of beach in Palm Beach county FL is open to the public, by law. Most municipalities provide free parking, too, and on the busiest day of the year, it's not particularly crowded unless you are in a city beach.

The story mentions parking, but it is more:

Massachusetts has one of the country's most restricted coastlines, much of it privately owned down to the low-tide line or controlled by coastal towns that charge nonresidents much higher fees for entry or ban them outright. Wealthy shoreline communities in New Jersey and around Chicago have faced criticism for similar practices.
There is not much legal substance in the NPR article. I have no clue what “restrictive coastline” even means. And wealthy shoreline communities? What is that? All shoreline communities are wealthy these days. And if the low tide property ownership is in fact the law in Massachusetts, that law likely goes back 200 years and it would cost a fortune to buy all that land for the public.

Edit. And in Denver, taxpayers in the RTD district pay less for parking at Park-n-ride lots than outsiders. Nothing wrong with that either. That piece is just NPR being NPR

I spent a lot of time at Massachusetts beaches. Very crowded with expensive parking ($30 a day, and that was 20 years ago) and privately owned sections.

Every foot of beach in Palm Beach county FL is open to the public, by law. Most municipalities provide free parking, too, and on the busiest day of the year, it's not particularly crowded unless you are in a city beach.
Yep and even if it’s private property under fla law you get access to the beach

You know why it’s that way? Because Desavage said so.

hulk hogan wrestling GIF

He needs to make I am American his theme song when he runs in 2024!

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
well i didn't even learn one thing from the whole "Martha's Vineyard" thing, despite it being what should have been a teaching moment.

what exactly is the official federal policy for dispersing immigrants around the country, that don't already have a place to go and people to stay with.

not fair to dump the burden on border communities and states.

as with the crime thing, Dem politicians absolutely kill their party every election by not having a sane approach to property and violent criminals, and by not making their case on immigration, and by not having an open relocation policy.

Dems would own every election if they just dealt with violent criminals and thieves, and locked them up and kept them locked up for a time dictated by the crime.

and deal with immigration other than with "what immigration", and have and make known a cogent policy to disperse the burden fairly, and credibly make their case for why taking immigrants is the right thing to do.

nothing totally sabotages all the positive things Dems are for every election, like total idiocracy on crime to the point of WTF, and not making their case on immigration and having a real strategy for once immigrants are in the country.

well i didn't even learn one thing from the whole "Martha's Vineyard" thing, despite it being what should have been a teaching moment.

what exactly is the official federal policy for dispersing immigrants around the country, that don't already have a place to go and people to stay with.

not fair to dump the burden on border communities and states.

as with the crime thing, Dem politicians absolutely kill their party every election by not having a sane approach to property and violent criminals, and by not making their case on immigration, and by not having an open relocation policy.

Dems would own every election if they just dealt with violent criminals and thieves, and locked them up and kept them locked up for a time dictated by the crime.

and deal with immigration other than with "what immigration", and have and make known a cogent policy to disperse the burden fairly, and credibly make their case for why taking immigrants is the right thing to do.

nothing totally sabotages all the positive things Dems are for every election, like total idiocracy on crime to the point of WTF, and not making their case on immigration and having a real strategy for once immigrants are in the country.

Dems have tried to pass immigration reform. Unfortunately they don't have enough votes in the senate to get it through. Has the GOP brought forth an alternate plan on immigration other than building a wall or somehow catching 100% of people at the border by hiring superman? People are getting caught at the border. I don't think it is fair to blame dems for immigrants making the attempt as there is not a policy of just letting them in. In fact, there has been no policy change on immigration since Trump given that what the dems proposed since then has gotten blocked.

Do you think the border states that deal with majority of immigrants don't get federal funds? I would assume the feds are paying for the issue and that the burden really isn't being left to those states.

It is nothing but playing politics. There is no substance to it. GOP doesn't want immigration reform to pass because it so helpful in getting votes by creating a bogeyman.

• Haha
There is not much legal substance in the NPR article. I have no clue what “restrictive coastline” even means. And wealthy shoreline communities? What is that? All shoreline communities are wealthy these days. And if the low tide property ownership is in fact the law in Massachusetts, that law likely goes back 200 years and it would cost a fortune to buy all that land for the public.

Edit. And in Denver, taxpayers in the RTD district pay less for parking at Park-n-ride lots than outsiders. Nothing wrong with that either. That piece is just NPR being NPR

All shoreline communities are wealthy, which means if they restrict access to residents, who cannot access the beaches? Simple question, who is being blocked?

That is what NPR is covering but you have NPR derangement Syndrome and don't see the obvious thing I was pointing at, MV may say all are welcome - you know, as long as they don't go to the beach

All shoreline communities are wealthy, which means if they restrict access to residents, who cannot access the beaches? Simple question, who is being blocked?

That is what NPR is covering but you have NPR derangement Syndrome and don't see the obvious thing I was pointing at, MV may say all are welcome - you know, as long as they don't go to the beach
I don’t follow at all. I’ve been to many beaches and river banks where you couldn’t traipse through private property to get there. You have to find a public access. We walked on a beach at MV, from a public parking lot. I’m still not convinced that NPR made a substantive point. NPR started with racism and intended to find facts to support it. NPR didn’t pull it off.

Dems have tried to pass immigration reform. Unfortunately they don't have enough votes in the senate to get it through. Has the GOP brought forth an alternate plan on immigration other than building a wall or somehow catching 100% of people at the border by hiring superman? People are getting caught at the border. I don't think it is fair to blame dems for immigrants making the attempt as there is not a policy of just letting them in. In fact, there has been no policy change on immigration since Trump given that what the dems proposed since then has gotten blocked.

Do you think the border states that deal with majority of immigrants don't get federal funds? I would assume the feds are paying for the issue and that the burden really isn't being left to those states.

It is nothing but playing politics. There is no substance to it. GOP doesn't want immigration reform to pass because it so helpful in getting votes by creating a bogeyman.

the policies and reform you're talking about, are not the "distribution" issue i'm talking about, that DeSantis took advantage of pointing out.

and border communities absolutely do bear a disproportionate percent of the burden.

like i said, Dems not selling their side, and not dealing with the disproportionate burden issue, along with their insanity on dealing with violent criminals and thieves, (not just small drug offenders), absolutely kills and sabotages them literally every election.

you can deny it all you want and be wrong in doing so, or you can admit it as i have, then deal with it appropriately, and not have it just kill Dems, and all the positive things they want, every election.

or be stubborn and not make the needed policy/messaging changes, and continue to have it just kill Dems every election over things that can be fixed, and kill all the good things Dems push for in the process.

Pubs shouldn't be within 20 points of Dems anywhere.

immigration insensitivity and poor messaging, plus complete insanity in dealing with real criminals, is the only reason Pubs win anything.

and why they keep winning where they otherwise wouldn't.

Last edited:
I don’t follow at all. I’ve been to many beaches and river banks where you couldn’t traipse through private property to get there. You have to find a public access. We walked on a beach at MV, from a public parking lot. I’m still not convinced that NPR made a substantive point. NPR started with racism and intended to find facts to support it. NPR didn’t pull it off.
Using MV as an example, another story:

But let’s not pretend there are not resentments, foremost for many (if you discount the impact of big money on real estate prices) being beach access. For almost two-thirds of Martha’s Vineyard’s beaches are legally, if not always in practice, closed to the public. And on no subject is the influence of hush money more apparent.​

Here is a town on Long Island with "resident's only" beaches:

Now we can debate if there is racism in this. I am not at all claiming a town is buying a beach to keep out persons of color. But towns that can buy beach expanses are probably fairly wealthy. So the result is largely going to be beaches that are visited by Whites as Whites are far more likely to have money. But beyond that, the person of color visiting from out of town will probably be more noticeable to authorities than you or me. So the result tends to have a racial bias even if unintended.

Are you denying "resident's only" beaches exist? Because right there on the Hampstead website it says:

Beaches are open to Hempstead Town and Nassau County residents only.

That seems clear to me. Not public access, not parking. "Beaches are open to ....".

But let’s not pretend there are not resentments, foremost for many (if you discount the impact of big money on real estate prices) being beach access. For almost two-thirds of Martha’s Vineyard’s beaches are legally, if not always in practice, closed to the public. And on no subject is the influence of hush money more apparent.​

Now we can debate if there is racism in this. I am not at all claiming a town is buying a beach to keep out persons of color. But towns that can buy beach expanses are probably fairly wealthy. So the result is largely going to be beaches that are visited by Whites as Whites are far more likely to have money. But beyond that, the person of color visiting from out of town will probably be more noticeable to authorities than you or me. So the result tends to have a racial bias even if unintended.

Are you denying "resident's only" beaches exist? Because right there on the Hampstead website it says:

That seems clear to me. Not public access, not parking. "Beaches are open to ....".
I've got no dog in your fight over private vs. public beaches in MASS. But it would be wrong to call this any kind of racism. It's private property owners wanting to keep things from being too crowded and exclusive. If a black or brown person or Indian or whatever bought a property, they too would have these rights of exclusion.

In fact, using this example is perfect for highlighting how the use of "systemic" or "institutional" racism is so often misused, misunderstood, and not very helpful nowadays. Often, it's just a stupid (or for some, a known) way to conflate racism and capitalism.

I've got no dog in your fight over private vs. public beaches in MASS. But it would be wrong to call this any kind of racism. It's private property owners wanting to keep things from being too crowded and exclusive. If a black or brown person or Indian or whatever bought a property, they too would have these rights of exclusion.

In fact, using this example is perfect for highlighting how the use of "systemic" or "institutional" racism is so often misused, misunderstood, and not very helpful nowadays. Often, it's just a stupid (or for some, a known) way to conflate racism and capitalism.

I think the point tends to be that certain groups tend to be poorer and thus not as able to buy land with beach access. It isn't racism per se, but the effect has a disparate impact on races.

It really is economic discrimination.

Reactions: cosmickid
I think the point tends to be that certain groups tend to be poorer and thus not as able to buy land with beach access. It isn't racism per se, but the effect has a disparate impact on races.

It really is economic discrimination.
Correct. But economic "discrimination" is not racism. (It might not even be classism--I'm sure there are some beach communities that just want to keep out all people, no matter their class, if they aren't locals).

Disparate impact is a legal concept, but even that is not racist. It's just a policy that unintentionally affects different racial groups differently. But crucially, if you have a neutral reason for your policy, and you have a good reason for it related to whatever your neutral goal, you aren't liable.

If you apply that same rationale to much of what is called "institutional racism" today (at least in education)--e.g. standardized testing, honors classes, discipline in schools, turning in assignments on time, etc.--you can see that this institutional racism label is a mirage.

Yes, I doubt those private property owners would welcome whites from Appalachia over black or brown persons.

Reactions: Crayfish57
I still remember this class. Some states have genuine private beaches. Others, like Florida, technically only have public beaches, although some of them allow for restricted access. Some states even require that private property cannot block a public beach without providing some sort of easement for public access.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

I’m unsure if your point.

Yes, in some places private beaches exist.

If a beach is owned by the public, I don’t believe a resident only policy will hold up. But there can be different charges— that is legal and common.

Correct. But economic "discrimination" is not racism. (It might not even be classism--I'm sure there are some beach communities that just want to keep out all people, no matter their class, if they aren't locals).

Disparate impact is a legal concept, but even that is not racist. It's just a policy that unintentionally affects different racial groups differently. But crucially, if you have a neutral reason for your policy, and you have a good reason for it related to whatever your neutral goal, you aren't liable.

If you apply that same rationale to much of what is called "institutional racism" today (at least in education)--e.g. standardized testing, honors classes, discipline in schools, turning in assignments on time, etc.--you can see that this institutional racism label is a mirage.
Strangely enough, my point really has been ignored. MV has resident's only beaches. MV has signs "all are welcome here". Those two points are totally incongruent to me, but apparently to no one else. Sort of an "all are welcome, but use the back door".

For reasons unknown, CO didn't want to comment on that but went into NPR had to be wrong because clearly resident's only beaches do not exist.

Strangely enough, my point really has been ignored. MV has resident's only beaches. MV has signs "all are welcome here". Those two points are totally incongruent to me, but apparently to no one else. Sort of an "all are welcome, but use the back door".

For reasons unknown, CO didn't want to comment on that but went into NPR had to be wrong because clearly resident's only beaches do not exist.
We have already established that MV is not open to everyone and welcoming of everyone. They got rid of those immigrants post haste. The NPR article appears to be a distraction (a racial one at that) which says, "stop talking about immigration and look how racist places like MV are about beach access." OK NPR. Agree. Rich liberals in Massachusetts are hypocritical assholes who embody just about everything they hang up signs about being against.

Exclusivity for me and inclusivity for thee. Particularly when that inclusivity includes poors and the social issues that come with them.

Reactions: DANC and jet812

What’s incongruent? First I never saw that as your point. Second, being welcoming Is not the same as relinquishing private property rights. As I suspected, your latest link shows that private beach/coast ownership goes back several hundred years in Massachusetts. Maybe it would be nice if all coastal areas were in public hands, but they are not. My beef with NPR is it bringing racism into the picture. There are plenty of reasons to think MV residents, and those on the Cape for that matter, don’t like to associate with most POC, without Making one up.

We have already established that MV is not open to everyone and welcoming of everyone. They got rid of those immigrants post haste. The NPR article appears to be a distraction (a racial one at that) which says, "stop talking about immigration and look how racist places like MV are about beach access." OK NPR. Agree. Rich liberals in Massachusetts are hypocritical assholes who embody just about everything they hang up signs about being against.

Exclusivity for me and inclusivity for thee. Particularly when that inclusivity includes poors and the social issues that come with them.

I don't believe in gated communities, which is an offshoot of this discussion. As Americans we fear "the other", be they poor, White, Black, Asian, liberal, conservative, whatever. We just know we don't want Them around. Take a look at The Villages, 98% White.

Yes, there is a lot of hypocrisy, in left and right. "Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” I wonder what that line means to people in context of our treatment of people at the border (or using them for a cheap political stunt)?

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
What’s incongruent? First I never saw that as your point. Second, being welcoming Is not the same as relinquishing private property rights. As I suspected, your latest link shows that private beach/coast ownership goes back several hundred years in Massachusetts. Maybe it would be nice if all coastal areas were in public hands, but they are not. My beef with NPR is it bringing racism into the picture. There are plenty of reasons to think MV residents, and those on the Cape for that matter, don’t like to associate with most POC, without Making one up.

The history of cities owning beaches to keep out PoC existed just as redlining existed. Both towns tried to hold onto. They succeeded in holding onto residents-only beaches in the Northeast. Cities keeping residen't only beaches are keeping alive the policy enacted to block Blacks.

In the decades that followed, local governments across the US enacted a host of policies and practices designed to segregate places of outdoor leisure by race and effectively exclude people of color from public beaches. In the south, those methods were quite explicit. Coastal cities such as Norfolk, Virginia, Charleston, South Carolina, and Miami, Florida, prohibited African Americans from stepping foot on any of their public beaches, and for years ignored blacks’ demands for public beaches of their own. Whites’ indifference to the health and humanity of black communities often had deadly consequences. Throughout the Jim Crow era, shockingly high numbers of black youth drowned each summer while playing in dangerous, and unsupervised, bodies of water. When white officials did respond to black demands for beaches and parks of their own, they invariably selected remote, polluted, often hazardous, locations. In Washington DC, officials designated Buzzard’s Point, a former dumping ground located downstream from a sewage plant, as an appropriate location for the city’s “colored” bathing beach. In New Orleans, it was a remote site on Lake Pontchartrain, 14 miles from downtown, surrounded on both sides by fishing camps that dumped raw sewage into the lake. One health official described the waters offshore as “grossly contaminated” and wholly unfit for bathing.​
In the north, whites employed more subtle, but no less effective, methods of segregation. Predominantly white suburbs and towns in the north-east, for example, designated their public beaches for residents only, or charged exorbitant access fees for non-residents, or barred non-residents from parking near the shore, all designed to keep minority populations in neighboring cities out. City officials, meanwhile, failed to provide black neighborhoods with safe and decent places of public recreation and deliberately made beaches and pools frequented by middle-class whites inaccessible to the poor and people of color.​

Towns created resident only to keep out Blacks. Those beaches still exist. Which means that the limited number of beaches that will accept blacks are well overcrowded. The people in these towns are not necessarily keeping the beaches resident only specifically to keep out Blacks, but it is the end result.

So tell me specifically what I am saying is wrong. Did northern towns create Resident only beaches to keep away Blacks, yes or no, very easy question. Can I find examples of this on the internet?

IF yes, are some of those beaches still resident only today, yes or no counselor. Let's stop playing word games. Did towns create these beaches and do they still exist?

Did you catch this remark from Obama?

“Right now, the biggest fuel behind the Republican agenda is related to immigration and the fear that somehow America’s character is going to be changed if, people of darker shades, there are too many of them here,” Obama told moderator Gary Acosta, the co-founder and CEO of the National Association of Hispanic Real Estate Professionals.

This is the guy who skedaddled from his racially mixed South Chicago political home for Lilly-white and elitist Martha’s Vineyard now lecturing Republicans about people of darker shades. I don’t think people like Obama know how tone deaf they sound.

The history of cities owning beaches to keep out PoC existed just as redlining existed. Both towns tried to hold onto. They succeeded in holding onto residents-only beaches in the Northeast. Cities keeping residen't only beaches are keeping alive the policy enacted to block Blacks.

In the decades that followed, local governments across the US enacted a host of policies and practices designed to segregate places of outdoor leisure by race and effectively exclude people of color from public beaches. In the south, those methods were quite explicit. Coastal cities such as Norfolk, Virginia, Charleston, South Carolina, and Miami, Florida, prohibited African Americans from stepping foot on any of their public beaches, and for years ignored blacks’ demands for public beaches of their own. Whites’ indifference to the health and humanity of black communities often had deadly consequences. Throughout the Jim Crow era, shockingly high numbers of black youth drowned each summer while playing in dangerous, and unsupervised, bodies of water. When white officials did respond to black demands for beaches and parks of their own, they invariably selected remote, polluted, often hazardous, locations. In Washington DC, officials designated Buzzard’s Point, a former dumping ground located downstream from a sewage plant, as an appropriate location for the city’s “colored” bathing beach. In New Orleans, it was a remote site on Lake Pontchartrain, 14 miles from downtown, surrounded on both sides by fishing camps that dumped raw sewage into the lake. One health official described the waters offshore as “grossly contaminated” and wholly unfit for bathing.​
In the north, whites employed more subtle, but no less effective, methods of segregation. Predominantly white suburbs and towns in the north-east, for example, designated their public beaches for residents only, or charged exorbitant access fees for non-residents, or barred non-residents from parking near the shore, all designed to keep minority populations in neighboring cities out. City officials, meanwhile, failed to provide black neighborhoods with safe and decent places of public recreation and deliberately made beaches and pools frequented by middle-class whites inaccessible to the poor and people of color.​

Towns created resident only to keep out Blacks. Those beaches still exist. Which means that the limited number of beaches that will accept blacks are well overcrowded. The people in these towns are not necessarily keeping the beaches resident only specifically to keep out Blacks, but it is the end result.

So tell me specifically what I am saying is wrong. Did northern towns create Resident only beaches to keep away Blacks, yes or no, very easy question. Can I find examples of this on the internet?

IF yes, are some of those beaches still resident only today, yes or no counselor. Let's stop playing word games. Did towns create these beaches and do they still exist?
Please. Slavery was also part of the New England landscape. It’s long gone. If a town today administered its public spaces in a way to exclude blacks, I’d sue their collective asses and I would win.

Did you catch this remark from Obama?

“Right now, the biggest fuel behind the Republican agenda is related to immigration and the fear that somehow America’s character is going to be changed if, people of darker shades, there are too many of them here,” Obama told moderator Gary Acosta, the co-founder and CEO of the National Association of Hispanic Real Estate Professionals.

This is the guy who skedaddled from his racially mixed South Chicago political home for Lilly-white and elitist Martha’s Vineyard now lecturing Republicans about people of darker shades. I don’t think people like Obama know how tone deaf they sound.
I am willing to be real. It isn't usually the color that is the issue anymore (it was in some cases in the past). The problem is the "poor" and the host of social issues that come along with it. Crime, drugs, general disrepair. It can sometimes look racial because the black community has higher poverty rates per capita. MV welcomed the Obama's. They would welcome Oprah. They would gladly have the CEO of Univision. What they don't want is the poors bringing the Jerry Springer and Maury to their posh little island.

And it isn't because the "poor" is in and of itself a bad thing. Many of them would be willing to give money and donations and feel bad for the people who have the "poor" in hopes that they could overcome that malady. However, much like a person with an infectious disease, the "poor" can infect even the most healthy of areas.

That sounds awful but that is the reality. Nobody wants people who knock off Wa Wa stores in flash mobs or who spends the majority of their day hooked on meth in their neighborhood. Nobody wants that. Some people can afford to keep it out by setting completely legal economic barriers to entry.

I can see there being a disagreement on the reasoning said beach is resident only. Residents may or may not understand the original intention with the rule and continue along with it because they just like having a less crowded beach for themselves and their neighbors.

On one hand, you could be right in how the rule started. On the other hand, the reasoning to maintain the rule could be altogether different even though the results are the same.

Reactions: hoot1
I can see there being a disagreement on the reasoning said beach is resident only. Residents may or may not understand the original intention with the rule and continue along with it because they just like having a less crowded beach for themselves and their neighbors.

On one hand, you could be right in how the rule started. On the other hand, the reasoning to maintain the rule could be altogether different even though the results are the same.
I think that is the most reasonable thing you have ever shared here.

Reactions: hoot1

I think that is 100% correct. I have not said it IS racist. It started out that way.

But here is the other half of the point, if you are part of a Black family in MA, where do you get to go to the beach? My wild guess, and just a guess, is that if my family tried to sneak into a resident only beach and a Black family tried, one family would be more likely to be noticed and asked to leave.

Again, no one is necessarily being racist, or wanting to be racist. But the net effect is that Blacks are much more restricted from enjoying the coast than Whites. Is that statement in ANY way incorrect?

Reactions: IU_Hickory

You are pushing into Cosmic territory with this post.

rental prices going up are a symptom of the area's success. unlike california, new york, people are moving to florida. they like the politics (no state income tax, no lockdowns, homestead), cost of living compared to the west and east coast, and warm weather. so you have an attractive place to live with people fleeing blue states and bam you have a supply and demand issue. people who are capable of paying higher rents are moving to south florida. maybe to combat it they should shut businesses and schools down and raise taxes. impose some dem policies and get some people to leave the state.

basketball team wins game. demand for tickets increases. prices go up

The light bulb went off…keep taxing high earners and they will leave. Then you can’t fund the essential public services

The light bulb went off…keep taxing high earners and they will leave. Then you can’t fund the essential public services
Whoa Whoa Whoa! You mean high earners are taxed?

But Warren Buffet's secretary pays more taxes than he does!

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT