ADVERTISEMENT

I know this belongs on the BB board, but....

DANC

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
recruiting is ridiculous.

I've seen several FB posts about some guy from GRACE COLLEGE we're recruiting. And everyone is excited about it.

In some ways, it's good Knight isn't here and able to see all this going on.

I've seen several FB posts about some guy from GRACE COLLEGE we're recruiting. And everyone is excited about it.

i couldn't name one player on the team. can't imagine tracking recruiting. i will watch champions league today tho . massive games

Reactions: larsIU and DANC
i couldn't name one player on the team. can't imagine tracking recruiting. i will watch champions league today tho . massive games
I like how, whenever a name is mentioned as a possible recruit/transfer, he immediately becomes the second coming of Steve Alford (or pick your fave IU player).

Forget the guard's 28% 3 PT percentage. Forget the fact the big guy has never played against big time competition.

They're all just hired guns now. And yes, I'm old and think the world is going to hell.

My favorite is "we need good shooters, volume shooters and this guy fills that role". Then, said guy sees the garbage offense we run and walks away laughing after he's used us as leverage for a better NIL deal somewhere else. Then those same guys calling for good shooters say we get plenty of open shots, we just don't hit them.

Grace has a very respectable basketball program.
was it grinnell that substituted like hockey. 5 on 5 off. innovative way of playing. @BradStevens that's what i'd bring to hockey. innovation. not 4 lines where the last line is just goon up the game and get by. 2 lines of all stars. all my money there w/ a novel approach. longer shifts. no fighting. limited penalties. the other teams won't know what hit them

Screw respectable.
There is a weird trend I've noticed where a guy transfers to a power 5 conference from a 'lesser' conference, realizes he can't play with the big boys and either transfers back to his original school or to a school on a similar level. Peyton Sparks is one of those guys. Another guy did something similar from Ohio to Xavier and back to Ohio.

My guess is that even a really good player from an NAIA school is going to struggle in the Big 10.

There is a weird trend I've noticed where a guy transfers to a power 5 conference from a 'lesser' conference, realizes he can't play with the big boys and either transfers back to his original school or to a school on a similar level. Peyton Sparks is one of those guys. Another guy did something similar from Ohio to Xavier and back to Ohio.

My guess is that even a really good player from an NAIA school is going to struggle in the Big 10.
seems super hit and miss. the sec rushing leader played at D2 truman state first. from truman state to sec football has to be a massive jump and he killed it

Reactions: DANC

I respect Sparks for doing that. I think he saw he was odd man out here and his game wasn't what Woody is about. It was his dream to play for IU, he got the chance, it didn't work out, and he went back to where he's wanted.

seems super hit and miss. the sec rushing leader played at D2 truman state first. from truman state to sec football has to be a massive jump and he killed it
You're right - but we also had an instance where a very good SEC RB from Auburn came here and was squished. He was small and couldn't break a tackle after it was advertised he was a power back.

Just shows a lot of it is about the team. At Auburn, this guy was a valuable short yardage back. At IU, he was stopped dead cold most times.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
You're right - but we also had an instance where a very good SEC RB from Auburn came here and was squished. He was small and couldn't break a tackle after it was advertised he was a power back.

Just shows a lot of it is about the team. At Auburn, this guy was a valuable short yardage back. At IU, he was stopped dead cold most times.

I think our o-line had something to do with Shivers not being able to do much his year here.

I think our o-line had something to do with Shivers not being able to do much his year here.
Exactly my point. It's about the team, more than the individual, in most cases, and how that player fits in with the scheme.

In his videos at Auburn, when he did get into the open field, he broke a lot of tackles. I saw none of that here.

was it grinnell that substituted like hockey. 5 on 5 off. innovative way of playing. @BradStevens that's what i'd bring to hockey. innovation. not 4 lines where the last line is just goon up the game and get by. 2 lines of all stars. all my money there w/ a novel approach. longer shifts. no fighting. limited penalties. the other teams won't know what hit them
I'm going the other way. Pay 90% of my salary cap on 4 scorers and 1 dominant goalie. Only One scorer on each line. Then 16 other skaters are cheap goons (replaceable as they get kicked out of the league) that make the Hanson Bros. look tame. Beat the hell out of the other team. Play Wisconsin-like defense, daring the refs to call penalties.

We'll advertise our stadium as the House of Pain. Hype up each game like a title bout, where all our coaches talk about during pressers is the upcoming grudge match between one of ours and one of theirs. Have betting kiosks throughout the stadium for bets on the fights.

I might even try to get some UFC guys to skate and put on a sweater.

I'm going the other way. Pay 90% of my salary cap on 4 scorers and 1 dominant goalie. Only One scorer on each line. Then 16 other skaters are cheap goons (replaceable as they get kicked out of the league) that make the Hanson Bros. look tame. Beat the hell out of the other team. Play Wisconsin-like defense, daring the refs to call penalties.

We'll advertise our stadium as the House of Pain. Hype up each game like a title bout, where all our coaches talk about during pressers is the upcoming grudge match between one of ours and one of theirs. Have betting kiosks throughout the stadium for bets on the fights.

I like this. And concessions only serves Prime

• Love
Reactions: BradStevens
Exactly my point. It's about the team, more than the individual, in most cases, and how that player fits in with the scheme.

In his videos at Auburn, when he did get into the open field, he broke a lot of tackles. I saw none of that here.

Bo Jackson could have been our running back and he couldn't have done anything with that horrid line.

• Haha

Recreating the Dansbury Thrashers, huh?

And the portal guys who DO succeed at a higher level are - SHOCK! - guys who are older and DEVELOPED, despite the current state of "quit and spit" college athletics, which abhors working and staying and getting better.

One would think our coaches would have noticed those same important elements of football.

So we now have a first-class point guard and center added to the roster. We are one shooter away from possibly being good. I can't say I am a fan of two bigs, and there is little doubt both will start, hopefully one is working on shooting outside or the post is going to be too crowded again.

The thing is, if we get a shooter, when does he play? Assuming both these transfers start, along with Reneau, MM, and Tucker, that's 5.

Reactions: zeke4ahs

And there's been a lot of guys who have just done the reverse like Dave Knecht of Tennessee.

So we now have a first-class point guard and center added to the roster. We are one shooter away from possibly being good. I can't say I am a fan of two bigs, and there is little doubt both will start, hopefully one is working on shooting outside or the post is going to be too crowded again.

The thing is, if we get a shooter, when does he play? Assuming both these transfers start, along with Reneau, MM, and Tucker, that's 5.
Where’s that shed?

I like how, whenever a name is mentioned as a possible recruit/transfer, he immediately becomes the second coming of Steve Alford (or pick your fave IU player).

Forget the guard's 28% 3 PT percentage. Forget the fact the big guy has never played against big time competition.

They're all just hired guns now. And yes, I'm old and think the world is going to hell.
Yeah it is funny to watch... either this year or last year when they beat NC early in the year some already had them going to the final 4. 🤣

Well we have three five stars too. Not that it necessarily matters. I’d just like someone who can hit free throws. I haven’t seen anything about a kid from Grace College, but I’m not ruling out kids from smaller schools. Purdue did pretty well with their portal kid.

Yeah it is funny to watch... either this year or last year when they beat NC early in the year some already had them going to the final 4. 🤣
Last year, didn’t play this year. That was before UNC fell apart and we thought they were good.

Last year, didn’t play this year. That was before UNC fell apart and we thought they were good.
It's still funny to watch when people start having a team being a great team because they beat a well known school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT