ADVERTISEMENT

I know a lot of you hate Archie...

I totally agree. I just don't know who could coach THIS team and win anything.
Let me answer this question: do you think someone like Izzo or Coach K would allow the all-too-often lack of urgency from these guys? Allow TJD not to hustle back on D if he gets his shot blocked? Remember when Izzo ripped Henry a new one a couple years ago? Do you see that happening here?

Accountability. A major requirement for success in any venture. And sorely lacking from Indiana Basketball.

Then just what is the point?

Was the roster the issue when we jumped out to a 19-6 lead?

Ask yourself this: just WHY do we continually have long scoring droughts? For, what, the 5th/6th straight game?

It’s year 4. Player development SHOULD HAVE corrected many of the issues we have. It hasn’t.

THAT’S on the coaches. You can poo-poo all you want about the roster, but not only is Miller responsible for compiling this roster but it’s also on him to develop them.

Carry on with whatever point you’re trying to make . . .

The point of the post, tough guy, since you can't apparently read and figure it out yourself, is that there are three aspects to college coaching: recruiter, tactician and motivator.

Archie is a terrible motivator, a marginal recruiter and, I think, a pretty good tactician. People who say he's a terrible tactician don't know what they're talking about

Reactions: Birnk403
The point of the post, tough guy, since you can't apparently read and figure it out yourself, is that there are three aspects to college coaching: recruiter, tactician and motivator.

Archie is a terrible motivator, a marginal recruiter and, I think, a pretty good tactician. People who say he's a terrible tactician don't know what they're talking about

A pretty good tactician?
Ok, I’ll bite - please tell us what about our offense is sound from a tactical standpoint?

A pretty good tactician?
Ok, I’ll bite - please tell us what about our offense is sound from a tactical standpoint?

Given the limitations of the roster...several things:

4th in the country in FT attempts
Even after our players shoot an atrocious percentage from the line we're still 13th in the country in made FTs
That, of course, doesn't happen if you're not running good sets.

We score frequently on out of bounds plays and don't get scored on often in out of bounds plays. That, again, is a sign of good coaching.

There are plenty of sites that can provide a quantification of quality shots...all of which will show that the Indiana offense generates good quality shots. But Guess What? We miss them.

The scoring droughts are not the result of not getting good shots. They're the result of missing good shots.

That's a start for you.

Last edited:
...but, seriously, what is the guy supposed to do with this lineup? Seriously? I hold him accountable for not recruiting better players (like I have every coach since Coach Knight...and even including Coach Knight the last few years of his career), but, really, truly, seriously....WTF would any coach do with this sad-a$$ roster?

I'll ask it a different way. In your opinion, how many games this season would this team win with, say, John Wooden coaching it?
I back Coach everyday.
I feel his is doing a good job with such a young team, but I also feel it all comes down to execution.
I also think they just need to slow down just a bit.
Can some of the blame be placed on AAU ball. Just run and gun. Then when they get to collage they have to much to learn. Just an opinion. But some of this has to be blamed on the players. Coach can’t shoulder it all.

A pretty good tactician?
They consistently feed the post to provide opportunities to our two best (by far) offensive weapons. That’s sound coaching. The issue with Miller is recruiting / roster construction. We have fewer offensive options because we don’t have good enough players. That’s not an issue of tactics, it’s an issue of (poor) recruiting.

Eric Eschelbarger, the head coach at IU Kokomo, could do better than Archie. He's taken a program that had ONE winning season in it's history (granted it only became a varsity sport in the 2011-12 school year) and made it a nationally ranked team all 3 years he's been there and lead them to a 59-16 record over this period.

4yt92o.jpg
You forgot the "it takes years to learn this pack-line defense."

Which, sadly, is what I think Archie has done/is trying to continue to do.

I just, for the life of me, cannot understand why we cannot get good players to come to Bloomington. It's not an Archie thing. It has been going on for too many decades to be just an Archie thing

Tom Crean had outstanding players, but he wasn't a good coach. How could a coach have the team with Oladipo, Zeller, etc. and not make it to the Final Four? Crean had no concept regarding how to counter when an opposing coach made changes during a game.

To maximize this scoring on out of bounds plays, maybe IU offensive strategy going forward needs to be, take the ball down on the block or drive from corner to baseline every time, then stop and throw it hard off the defender, thus resulting in more OOB plays. This scheme may be more effective than their regular offense. Will also rely less on the subpar guard play (by guards he recruited, can’t motivate and can’t develop).

Even after our players shoot an atrocious percentage from the line we're still 13th in the country in made FTs

Stop right here.

We jump out to a 19-6 lead. Why? By feeding the ball inside. 14 of those points were from layups or FT’s (4-5).

Yet MSU outscores us 20-7 over the next 10 minutes. Again, why? Maybe because we go away from that and go 1-6 from behind the arc?

Who holds guys responsible for not working the ball inside? Tactician is more than coming up with a game plan or scheme, it’s also implementing it and making sure it is followed.

You asked a minute ago about “who could win with these players”. Yet you find no correlation in our building a lead and losing a lead has anything to do with accountability?

Reactions: CriticArisen

We score frequently on out of bounds plays and don't get scored on often in out of bounds plays. That, again, is a sign of good coaching.

There are plenty of sites that can provide a quantification of quality shots...all of which will show that the Indiana offense generates good quality shots. But Guess What? We miss them.

The scoring droughts are not the result of not getting good shots. They're the result of missing good shots.

That's a start for you.
You think maybe some of those "quality" shots that are "generated" by Archie's offense are part of the opposing coach's game plan? If I'm playing a team w/o great shooters, I will be willing to give up shots to certain players that on paper look like good ones that in actuality aren't high percentage ones.

Just a thought...

Yep. They could’ve put them away in the 1st half when it was 13 or whatever. If they get that up to 20 instead of going the other way, the game is already over. I think iu got too comfortable on offense and thought they could get whatever they wanted and went away from what was working- feeding TJD and Race. Same thing in the 2nd half. Obviously a big emphasis coming out of the locker room was to feed the big fellas. It worked, we got a comfortable lead and then went away from it and it vanished.

Izzo went small in the 2nd half and spread us out and picked a couple unfavorable matchups to attack. It neutralized our huge advantage down low. That style of offense has given us issues. They made a ton of shots in the 2nd half. Really good job by Izzo to recognize that.

Archie was out coached today. That hasn’t been the case the last couple against MSU.
It seems like Archie is getting out coached more and more each year. Dude makes no adjustments whatsoever, either on the fly or at halftime.

You think maybe some of those "quality" shots that are "generated" by Archie's offense are part of the opposing coach's game plan?

Bingo!

We work and move to create angles to feed the post and get opportunities for layups/FTs. But when the opposition makes adjustments to try to deny that, do we continue to run our stuff and impose our will inside, continue to battle to get the kind of shot we REALLY want?

No - we settle. Which is why we go 1-6 over the next 10 minutes. We don’t have the discipline to maintain play; even worse, no one DEMANDS it. Especially from the coaching staff.

It seems like Archie is getting out coached more and more each year. Dude makes no adjustments whatsoever, either on the fly or at halftime.

I actually disagree about the halftime bit. Plenty of evidence this year where we come out of the half rolling, including today. On the fly maybe not so much.

I actually disagree about the halftime bit. Plenty of evidence this year where we come out of the half rolling, including today. On the fly maybe not so much.

Has nothing to so with him changing things up. What you are referring to is when we come out not ready to play, and get yelled at at half. We have the same line up and rotation no matter what.

Bingo!

We work and move to create angles to feed the post and get opportunities for layups/FTs. But when the opposition makes adjustments to try to deny that, do we continue to run our stuff and impose our will inside, continue to battle to get the kind of shot we REALLY want?

No - we settle. Which is why we go 1-6 over the next 10 minutes. We don’t have the discipline to maintain play; even worse, no one DEMANDS it. Especially from the coaching staff.
2 X Bingo!

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil

That's a start for you.

I actually agree with this and have mentioned it a few times in comments. We get a lot of open shots. We just don’t make them. I think recruiting has been ok. I am uncertain on the development. It looks bad. But there had been some bad luck injuries with a few guys too.

Unfortunately for him the coach doesn’t get to use excuses when the ultimate results for 4 years is below expectations. If he would have had a few successful seasons under his belt you get the benefit of the doubt if you have some bad luck. If there isn’t a big jump next year he will pay with his job.

At the very least!
Matt has had like 1 good NCAA Tourney out of 16-17 seasons. Archie has also been to an Elite 8. If you want Matt results and a coach that has actually been to a FF, you know where to find Crean in Georgia. If we can't do any better than Archie, Crean, or Painter, somebody shoot me.

• Haha
Reactions: Radio Zero
Then just what is the point?

Was the roster the issue when we jumped out to a 19-6 lead?

Ask yourself this: just WHY do we continually have long scoring droughts? For, what, the 5th/6th straight game?

It’s year 4. Player development SHOULD HAVE corrected many of the issues we have. It hasn’t.

THAT’S on the coaches. You can poo-poo all you want about the roster, but not only is Miller responsible for compiling this roster but it’s also on him to develop them.

Carry on with whatever point you’re trying to make . . .

Indiana, Purdue, Wisconsin, Iowa and Ohio St. are all within 1 or 2 of each other in Top 20 wins over the past 4 years. Wisconsin has the least with 9 and OSU has the most with I think 11. It's been a few days since I looked, but I think I've kept mental note. Anyway, IU is far behind the others in overall conference record during that period (except Iowa). Pont being, IU has enough talent to beat top teams at pretty much the same rate as the other top teams, but they aren't talented enough to beat the lower teams consistently.... or maybe it's not talent level.

I back Coach everyday.
I feel his is doing a good job with such a young team, but I also feel it all comes down to execution.
I also think they just need to slow down just a bit.
Can some of the blame be placed on AAU ball. Just run and gun. Then when they get to collage they have to much to learn. Just an opinion. But some of this has to be blamed on the players. Coach can’t shoulder it all.
That would have merit if 99% of the coaches in this country weren’t dealing with the exact same thing!

It’s like the oft-used line these days of “It’s been a challenging year for us with COVID.”

No shit, Sherlock. You’re not the only group with unusual and difficult circumstances.

Crean did just fine recruiting for the most part and was able to find overlooked guys like Oladipo and OG. You just have to have coaches and staff that can do it well. I love bringing in Indiana kids, but I'd prefer them to be Jimmy Chitwood's instead of players that can't shoot.
Crean never ever recruited balanced teams. His roster management was pathetic. He would recruit the friend or brother of a recruit he wanted but the desired recruit would never sign and we‘d be stuck with the brother.

Indiana, Purdue, Wisconsin, Iowa and Ohio St. are all within 1 or 2 of each other in Top 20 wins over the past 4 years. Wisconsin has the least with 9 and OSU has the most with I think 11. It's been a few days since I looked, but I think I've kept mental note. Anyway, IU is far behind the others in overall conference record during that period (except Iowa). Pont being, IU has enough talent to beat top teams at pretty much the same rate as the other top teams, but they aren't talented enough to beat the lower teams consistently.... or maybe it's not talent level.
Pater, glad you responded; you’ve always been one of the posters I’ve respected the most on here.

Looked up each team's results vs ranked teams since Miller has been here:

Indiana (12-19)

2020-21 (2-6)

2019-20 (5-4)

2018-19 (4-5)

2017-18 (1-7)

Purdue (18-20)

2020-21 (4-4)

2019-20 (5-6)

2018-19 (6-6)

2017-18 (3-4)

Wisconsin (12-22)

2020-21 (3-5)

2019-20 (5-3)

2018-19 (3-5)

2017-18 (1-9)

Iowa (18-20)

2020-21 (6-3)

2019-20 (7-5)

2018-19 (5-7)

2017-18 (0-5)

Ohio St (15-18)

2020-21 (5-1)

2019-20 (6-4)

2018-19 (2-9)

2017-18 (2-4)

Serious question: You REALLY think that talent is the difference maker? Or maybe, just maybe, coaching is it? Out of those 5 teams, who is getting the least out of the talent they have?

Let me ask this another way: Since Miller has been here, what good team have we beaten where his coaching has been the difference? Where we have beaten a superior opponent because of our gameplan / execution?

Crean never ever recruited balanced teams. His roster management was pathetic. He would recruit the friend or brother of a recruit he wanted but the desired recruit would never sign and we‘d be stuck with the brother.
Everytime I read how well Crean recruited, the following names come to mind:
Tijan Jobe
Bawa Muniru
Guy Marc-Michel
Tim Priller
Jeremiah April
Grant Gelon

Matt has had like 1 good NCAA Tourney out of 16-17 seasons. Archie has also been to an Elite 8. If you want Matt results and a coach that has actually been to a FF, you know where to find Crean in Georgia. If we can't do any better than Archie, Crean, or Painter, somebody shoot me.

Want a .22 to the foot or something? Cuz your ass is getting shot.

Other than Kelvin Sampson's record, Archie has underperformed the same as all the rest of the coaches in the post Knight era. And then we keep getting stuck with them because of high buyout amount. Also,
Archie has no NCAA appearances and no Big Ten titles. Maybe he needs another few years for that.

CoachSeasonsRecordPct
Mike Davis2000–2006115–79
0.592​
Kelvin Sampson2006–200843–15
0.741​
Dan Dakich
2008​
3–4
0.429​
Tom Crean2008–2017166–135
0.552​
Archie Miller2017–Current67–53
0.558​

Pater, glad you responded; you’ve always been one of the posters I’ve respected the most on here.

Indiana (12-19)

2020-21 (2-6)

2019-20 (5-4)

2018-19 (4-5)

2017-18 (1-7)

Purdue (18-20)

2020-21 (4-4)

2019-20 (5-6)

2018-19 (6-6)

2017-18 (3-4)

Wisconsin (12-22)

2020-21 (3-5)

2019-20 (5-3)

2018-19 (3-5)

2017-18 (1-9)

Iowa (18-20)

2020-21 (6-3)

2019-20 (7-5)

2018-19 (5-7)

2017-18 (0-5)

Ohio St (15-18)

2020-21 (5-1)

2019-20 (6-4)

2018-19 (2-9)

2017-18 (2-4)

Serious question: You REALLY think that talent is the difference maker? Or maybe, just maybe, coaching is it? Out of those 5 teams, who is getting the least out of the talent they have?

Let me ask this another way: Since Miller has been here, what good team have we beaten where his coaching has been the difference? Where we have beaten a superior opponent because of our gameplan / execution?

No, I agree that it is coaching. I think it's obviously coaching at this point. I could definitely be wrong too, lol.

What I was trying to say is that if you are talented enough to beat good teams, then you can't blame the talent for not being able to beat the bad ones.

I'm off the Archie train. He's pulled off too many "first time ever" type of things. In year 1 we lose two home games by 20 as a double digit favorite. Those type of losses are difficult to find in the database and having two in the same season... fugetaboutit! Then we have 12 losses in 13 games after signing our dream recruit. Now we have 4 going on 5 straight seasons of .500 or less ball for the first time since the formation of the B10 in 1918.... and Al will be the first 4 year player to never crack the AP Top 10 and he's never even cracked the Top 20.

People don't even believe that last stat when I tell them, but it's true. Verdell, Pritch, Roth and Wilmont back in the Davis days were the close calls in the post-Kinght era, but they each spent one week in the AP Top 10. The close calls in the Knight era were Patterson, Miller, Mandeville and Eggers, but they managed to be Top 10 on two occasions. Finally, there was a trio on the 58-59 team who squeaked in with a single Top 10 ranking as juniors (Aldridge, Flowers and Balch).

I didn't like the hire, but I grew to really like Archie and became a believer. I still think he has a strong philosophy, he just can't coach at a level that separates him from the vast majority of coaches. I think there are many, many coaches who could've and would've done much better with a 4 year stint at Indiana.

Unfortunately... it's not over though. Unless Archie decides to move along on his own, we are stuck hoping it turns around. If it does turn around, we may be stuck with him even longer.

Indiana (12-19)

2020-21 (2-6)

2019-20 (5-4)

2018-19 (4-5)

2017-18 (1-7)

Purdue (18-20)

2020-21 (4-4)

2019-20 (5-6)

2018-19 (6-6)

2017-18 (3-4)

Wisconsin (12-22)

2020-21 (3-5)

2019-20 (5-3)

2018-19 (3-5)

2017-18 (1-9)

Iowa (18-20)

2020-21 (6-3)

2019-20 (7-5)

2018-19 (5-7)

2017-18 (0-5)

Ohio St (15-18)

2020-21 (5-1)

2019-20 (6-4)

2018-19 (2-9)

2017-18 (2-4)

Also, I blame Jimmy Crews for this mess. His #17 St. Louis team lost their home finale to Dayton in 2014, which was the win that got Dayton invited to the dance. If the Billikins had taken care of business, Archie's Elite Eight team would have went to the NIT instead. Jett, being hobbled by a knee injury, only took 3 shots that night as St. Louis lost their 3rd straight game on the way to an outright A10 title. That loss didn't really hurt Jim Crews and his Billikins, but it was yet another nail in the IU basketball coffin.

Eric Eschelbarger, the head coach at IU Kokomo, could do better than Archie. He's taken a program that had ONE winning season in it's history (granted it only became a varsity sport in the 2011-12 school year) and made it a nationally ranked team all 3 years he's been there and lead them to a 59-16 record over this period.
That is my alma mater. I did take a couple of classes there. I also used those classes to complete my Moody Bible Institute degree. Bachelor of Arts in Bible and Theology.

...but, seriously, what is the guy supposed to do with this lineup? Seriously? I hold him accountable for not recruiting better players (like I have every coach since Coach Knight...and even including Coach Knight the last few years of his career), but, really, truly, seriously....WTF would any coach do with this sad-a$$ roster?

I'll ask it a different way. In your opinion, how many games this season would this team win with, say, John Wooden coaching it?
Is Sam Gilbert part of the package?

A pretty good tactician?
*Strategic. Tactics are adjustments to strategy.

and fwiw - the offense scored 1.1 per possession, which is generally good enough to win games, the defense is what failed yesterday by allowing over 1.4 in the 2nd half.

Corner threes and late closeouts killed us .. more than not hitting shots. Though any difference in either could have only helped.

Also, I blame Jimmy Crews for this mess. His #17 St. Louis team lost their home finale to Dayton in 2014, which was the win that got Dayton invited to the dance. If the Billikins had taken care of business, Archie's Elite Eight team would have went to the NIT instead. Jett, being hobbled by a knee injury, only took 3 shots that night as St. Louis lost their 3rd straight game on the way to an outright A10 title. That loss didn't really hurt Jim Crews and his Billikins, but it was yet another nail in the IU basketball coffin.
Blame Jimmy Crews . . . 😂

In my best Warden Norton voice “It’s a conspiracy!!”

and fwiw - the offense scored 1.1 per possession, which is generally good enough to win games, the defense is what failed yesterday by allowing over 1.4 in the 2nd half.

Corner threes and late closeouts killed us .. more than not hitting shots. Though any difference in either could have only helped.
sports-reference shows the IU offensive eff. as 102.5 yesterday. Different sites may have different calculations though. Second half defense was putrid though.

Reactions: T.M.P.

All good points.

Thing that bothers me is lack of discipline to maintaining standard of play. Whether it’s settling for shots or poor defense (Hunter is still try to find his jock after Aaron Henry blew by him), we too easily look distracted and unfocused. We have enough talent to win, but not without giving concentrated effort.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT