ADVERTISEMENT

I know a lot of you hate Archie...

SixthFlagComing

Freshman
Dec 15, 2012
...but, seriously, what is the guy supposed to do with this lineup? Seriously? I hold him accountable for not recruiting better players (like I have every coach since Coach Knight...and even including Coach Knight the last few years of his career), but, really, truly, seriously....WTF would any coach do with this sad-a$$ roster?

I'll ask it a different way. In your opinion, how many games this season would this team win with, say, John Wooden coaching it?

Reactions: Bill4411
I don't hate him, I just don't think he's hacking it. Recruiting and building teams are an enormous part of winning, at least as much as coaching. These are his players, and he hasn't recruiting and constructed a roster well enough to consistently win and win big. Archie isn't assessing talent/skill and developing players like he should.

I don't hate him, I just don't think he's hacking it. Recruiting and building teams are an enormous part of winning, at least as much as coaching. These are his players, and he hasn't recruiting and constructed a roster well enough to consistently win and win big.

I totally agree. I just don't know who could coach THIS team and win anything.

...but, seriously, what is the guy supposed to do with this lineup? Seriously? I hold him accountable for not recruiting better players (like I have every coach since Coach Knight...and even including Coach Knight the last few years of his career), but, really, truly, seriously....WTF would any coach do with this sad-a$$ roster?

I'll ask it a different way. In your opinion, how many games this season would this team win with, say, John Wooden coaching it?
The problem with your logic is he is not only responsible for coaching his team, but also building it. This is HIS team.

Better be really, really good on defense and know how to win ugly.

Which, sadly, is what I think Archie has done/is trying to continue to do.

I just, for the life of me, cannot understand why we cannot get good players to come to Bloomington. It's not an Archie thing. It has been going on for too many decades to be just an Archie thing

4yt92o.jpg

They're put in a position to win.
They just can't complete the process..
Hold the player's accountable ..

Kind of like holding someone accountable to answer a silly, stupid, hypothetical question AFTER they've insulted someone?

I'm not an Archie apologist. I want to hire someone, anyone who can get talented players to come to Bloomington.

What I'm trying to get you to do is exhibit the behavior you just described Mr Accountable.

Beat a pretty bad 10-9 team that has 30 point losses this year when you are fighting to secure the 1st NCAA bid in what 4 years. I know we probably wouldve made it last year but still. Archie is responsible for this roster whether its recruiting, development, or him coaching them. THIS TEAM, reflects Archie.

Reactions: .Gerdis

I just, for the life of me, cannot understand why we cannot get good players to come to Bloomington. It's not an Archie thing. It has been going on for too many decades to be just an Archie thing
Crean did just fine recruiting for the most part and was able to find overlooked guys like Oladipo and OG. You just have to have coaches and staff that can do it well. I love bringing in Indiana kids, but I'd prefer them to be Jimmy Chitwood's instead of players that can't shoot.

you just said it. part of his job(a very big part) is to recruit competitive big ten caliber players. he's whiffed too many times.

Interesting question, but then again who is in complete control of the roster? I think the continuation of your argument would go to good coaches too "well, who COULDN'T win with this awesome roster". So if you follow that line of thinking, the main influence a good coach has over a bad coach is the quality of his roster, no?

By asking a question? Which you didn't answer.

How many games would John Wooden win with this roster? Just answer the question. I don't care what your answer is. Just answer it rather than insulting people.
Any Coach who can make adjustments would make this team a whole lot better, John Wooden included who would have won at least 5 more games. Mid-Major Arch doesn't know how or is too stubborn to admit his gameplay is not working and adjustments need to be made on the fly and at halftime. He needs to take his Mid-Major mindset along with his useless packline defense back to the A10 because he isn't good enough to coach in a Power 5 conference.

Last edited:
The problem with your logic is he is not only responsible for coaching his team, but also building it. This is HIS team.

That's not a "problem" with my logic. That IS my logic. I said, in the post, he has to build a better roster. But he's not coaching a better roster. He's coaching this $hitty roster.

I'm not sure some of the best coaches in the history of the game could do much better with this roster. (And don't interpret that to mean I think he's a good coach)

We need to find someone who can RECRUIT. That said, I think Archie is a pretty good coach. I don't think he's getting it done, just like the last four guys haven't gotten it done.

And it's not going to get done until someone consistently gets good players.

Reactions: aajohn2000

i'm afraid it may be an archie thing. didn't shilling, on his way out, say that no one wanted to play for archie. and archie himself say that he didn't think it would be so hard to recruit players to indiana? that may tell us a lot right there.

this line up should have won the game by 16-20 today. CAM let our guards start chucking instead of force feeding TJD every time down the floor the entire game. it’s what built the lead to 10+ early in the second half.

There was a lineup switch with about 12 to go that cost us the game. Lander and Galloway came in and we stopped going inside and started settling for jump shots.

this line up should have won the game by 16-20 today. CAM let our guards start chucking instead of force feeding TJD every time down the floor the entire game. it’s what built the lead to 10+ early in the second half.

There was a lineup switch with about 12 to go that cost us the game. Lander and Galloway came in and we stopped going inside and started settling for jump shots.

Yep..agreed

I don't hate Archie...I don't hate anyone.

I do hate where my University's Basketball program is right now.

Yep. They could’ve put them away in the 1st half when it was 13 or whatever. If they get that up to 20 instead of going the other way, the game is already over. I think iu got too comfortable on offense and thought they could get whatever they wanted and went away from what was working- feeding TJD and Race. Same thing in the 2nd half. Obviously a big emphasis coming out of the locker room was to feed the big fellas. It worked, we got a comfortable lead and then went away from it and it vanished.

Izzo went small in the 2nd half and spread us out and picked a couple unfavorable matchups to attack. It neutralized our huge advantage down low. That style of offense has given us issues. They made a ton of shots in the 2nd half. Really good job by Izzo to recognize that.

Archie was out coached today. That hasn’t been the case the last couple against MSU.

Yep. They could’ve put them away in the 1st half when it was 13 or whatever. If they get that up to 20 instead of going the other way, the game is already over. I think iu got too comfortable on offense and thought they could get whatever they wanted and went away from what was working- feeding TJD and Race. Same thing in the 2nd half. Obviously a big emphasis coming out of the locker room was to feed the big fellas. It worked, we got a comfortable lead and then went away from it and it vanished.

Izzo went small in the 2nd half and spread us out and picked a couple unfavorable matchups to attack. It neutralized our huge advantage down low. That style of offense has given us issues. They made a ton of shots in the 2nd half. Really good job by Izzo to recognize that.

Archie was out coached today. That hasn’t been the case the last couple against MSU.
Give him time. It’s only year 4. He can do it.

Reactions: Radio Zero

Who is responsible for the sad ass roster?

since Wooden's dead, I think he could probably get this team to at least 15 wins

It's both, limited talent and coaching

Reactions: indy1203
Hate is a strong word dislike would be about right. But ask yourself you fired Crean who was not meeting the criteria so how in the hell is Archie.

Wooden wouldn’t improve a thing. With RMK I’d wager we’d have about 4 more wins.

He isn't. no doubt about it. Again - not the point of the post
Then just what is the point?

Was the roster the issue when we jumped out to a 19-6 lead?

Ask yourself this: just WHY do we continually have long scoring droughts? For, what, the 5th/6th straight game?

It’s year 4. Player development SHOULD HAVE corrected many of the issues we have. It hasn’t.

THAT’S on the coaches. You can poo-poo all you want about the roster, but not only is Miller responsible for compiling this roster but it’s also on him to develop them.

Carry on with whatever point you’re trying to make . . .

Reactions: BigMobe and .Gerdis
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT