ADVERTISEMENT

I have to remind myself that P5 is now P4.

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
Anybody who followed college basketball in the 1970s remember the NIT tournament as a great tournament. In order to make the NCAA tournament you had to win your conference.

With conferences going to 20 teams and 16 teams making the playoffs I would not be surprised if a lot of bowl games go the way of the NIT basketball tournament.

I'm not saying that it will happen. But I do think there's so much uncertainty that nobody really knows what postseason is going to look like in 3 or 4 years.

Reactions: ESalum86
Anybody who followed college basketball in the 1970s remember the NIT tournament as a great tournament. In order to make the NCAA tournament you had to win your conference.

With conferences going to 20 teams and 16 teams making the playoffs I would not be surprised if a lot of bowl games go the way of the NIT basketball tournament.

I'm not saying that it will happen. But I do think there's so much uncertainty that nobody really knows what postseason is going to look like in 3 or 4 years.
The NIT faded in relevance because the NCAA tournament expanded. The 12 team college football playoff slated to start as the finish to the 2024 season May eventually expand to 16 in the future, so that might take a couple of bowls with it. As long as bowls remain a travel and tourism promotional vehicle, as well as a way to provide sports programming during the holidays, they’re safe.

Last edited:

Most bowl games already are at the “NIT” level.

Most bowls are simply rewards for teams with winning records regardless of SOS and for we alums that like parties in warm places in the winter

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT