ADVERTISEMENT

I didn't have a single bogey or double bogey today.

McNutt76

Hall of Famer
Sep 1, 2001
That's only because our course got closed today due to a huge amount of rain we had this morning. Hopefully, we'll get to play Sunday.

A superintendent's biggest nightmare is getting heavy rainfall when the temperatures don't get below 70 degrees at night. We have an outstanding superintendent and staff. Hopefully, they will be able to prevent us from getting pythium.

We had it one summer when we had a terrible superintendent. He was a Purdue graduate and had no concept regarding how to maintain a golf course.

A superintendent's biggest nightmare is getting heavy rainfall when the temperatures don't get below 70 degrees at night.
I'm pretty sure your super remembers his biggest nightmare every time you walk up!

That's only because our course got closed today due to a huge amount of rain we had this morning. Hopefully, we'll get to play Sunday.

A superintendent's biggest nightmare is getting heavy rainfall when the temperatures don't get below 70 degrees at night. We have an outstanding superintendent and staff. Hopefully, they will be able to prevent us from getting pythium.

We had it one summer when we had a terrible superintendent. He was a Purdue graduate and had no concept regarding how to maintain a golf course.
Outstanding superintendents and their staffs don’t encounter heavy rainfalls when nightly temperatures don’t get below 70. They get lucky while being at the mercy of the weather, like every other course superintendent deemed outstanding.

Being superintendent of a CC golf course is probably one of the more stressful jobs. I think one would need pretty thick skin trying to please so many alpha-male/Type 1’s of competitive spirit-hood. Not many of us run the risk of waking up in a cold sweat, visions of pythium root rot dancing a web-like fabric in our brains during heavy rains. Imagine driving up to your CC several mornings in a row to the sight of advancing brown-outs as start to your day, then having to explain yourself in front of a glaring bunch of pitted-faced, red nosed dwarfs they call board of directors, all scratch-wanna-be golfers shelling out big bucks for the privilege it brings. No thanks, I’ll stick to birdwatching with its uninterrupted nights of no fungus among us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT