ADVERTISEMENT

I am just a fan, but what if

outlawyer

Sophomore
Feb 26, 2006
EVERYBODY comes back next season? We have NO open scholarships. I'm just a fan, but I don't want CAM kicking scholarship players off the team except for misconduct. Maybe, or probably, Priller and Gelon should never have been offered scholarships, but they were. I think IU has an obligation to them. We've had this discussion in the past, and with a change of any coach (no doubt more so with Crean) roster management issues arise. Probably Crean was going to find a way to drop 3 from the team somehow, combination of going pro, transfer, whatever. Now, we have a problem. Or, what? Sure, JBJ has declared, and OG and maybe TB will, too. "Odds are" that at least one stays in draft. But, what if they all come back? Figured Hartman was gone for sure after senior night, but he's coming back. We could be at "no vacancy."

Reactions: farfan
EVERYBODY comes back next season? We have NO open scholarships. I'm just a fan, but I don't want CAM kicking scholarship players off the team except for misconduct. Maybe, or probably, Priller and Gelon should never have been offered scholarships, but they were. I think IU has an obligation to them. We've had this discussion in the past, and with a change of any coach (no doubt more so with Crean) roster management issues arise. Probably Crean was going to find a way to drop 3 from the team somehow, combination of going pro, transfer, whatever. Now, we have a problem. Or, what? Sure, JBJ has declared, and OG and maybe TB will, too. "Odds are" that at least one stays in draft. But, what if they all come back? Figured Hartman was gone for sure after senior night, but he's coming back. We could be at "no vacancy."

That wouldn't be good. The classes would be even more out of balance, more than it's already going to be. I think the best case would be losing three, taking in three to work toward that desired balance. Unfortunately, there's a little mess for Miller to clean-up.

I agree with your position on Creaning any current players. That practice, I hope, is a thing of the past.

This could really be an odd situation. Usually when there is a coaching change there is a problem having enough quality players due to transfers and players backing out of commitments. Not so In IU's case, it could end up with too many players and not enough scholarships. At this point since two have asked for their release IU has an out by granting them even though they want the players but just don't have room. That way we only have to lose one which is likely between TB, OG and JBJ. I have also heard rumblings of RJ not returning.
On the bright side by hiring a good coach IU looks like it can keep the nucleus of a very good/competitive team and move forward with better planning in a lot of areas.

Actually, I'd like to see what Miller could do with this same bunch of guys (to compare with Crean).

Probably won't happen though cuz a couple will likely try the NBA , D-League or Europe.

Really interesting question, outlawyer. While it could happen, it most likely won't.

But, brings up lots of questions: 1. When is Priller to graduate? 2. Is Coach Miller really considering carrying less than 13 on the bench as he has stated in interviews? What if a player doesn't want to play the way that Coach Miller says and the player indicates so and doesn't want to leave? (not likely, eh? pine time, no doubt) Who is going to be the PG? Do you recruit a PG for one year or just get by in the first year and look to the future?

I say CAM needs to bring in a PG that will start. That may override the no Creaning goal and find a job for Priller as a big man trainer or something. To help him thru his final year but not on scholarship. If that is allowed by the NCAA...

redshirt time for someone

Prediction: Davis, Bryant, Green, Jones, Wright, Smith, Moore, Newkirk, McSwain, Hartman, Johnson

Leaving - Blackmon, Gelon, OG
On Fence - Priller
Not Coming - Durham

I have read there is a solid chance that OG might not be ready to play until late in the year or even later meaning he possibly miss out on half of the games. I'd expect that if this the case it might take him a while to be the OG that might be expected productivity wise. Not saying I don't want OG back but not only might it best for OG to move on for the money if it on table. It might also be best for IU as next year is rehab year for OG wherever he goes.

Giles at Duke is a similar case and he never got really got significant minutes for Duke getting over his knee injury. He looked much better by the end of the year but still had a small role.

I think new coaches get a pass on "Creaning" in their first year. Painter advised 2 Keady recruits that they would never play at Purdue under him, and they left. The new football coach has had quite a few kids leave as well. It's sort of to be expected.

Archie should tell JBJ that his players will play defense, and that he likely won't set foot on the court if he were to come back.

Can we stop calling it Creaning like it doesnt happen anywhere else - when it does in fact happen everywhere else...

Some guys just don't work out - no reason to keep them for 4 years when they are good enough to have a college basketball experience at a different program. And I bet it's often a lot more of a players decision than a coach, but how stupid would a coach be to come out publicly and badmouth a college kid...

Reactions: IU Hardcore
I suppose there are a couple of factors that Miller will need to consider. He's never, before, had the luxury of recruiting kids who likely will turn pro in a year. Conversely, Crean was losing kids after one, maybe two years. That puts a lot of pressure on recruiting. With 9 players actually playing at Dayton, and a couple who weren't, he could recruit three players a year and season a couple of them on the bench. Players do get hurt. Calipari loses six players a year. There are players who clearly benefit from a redshirt year - strength and weight usually help players. That's not always going to be easy if you need to replace four starters every year. It will be interesting.

Problem is, Crean has offered 8 more kids since he got fired.

incredulous.gif

It does if the kid is getting his tuition and room and board paid. That's a scholarship. You think redshirts pay their own way?
Scholarship players that take a redshirt still count as one of the 13. Someone asked if it counted. Does that clear it up? A kid could get 5 years on scholarship and possibly a 6th if they qualify for a medical redshirt. Redshirting a non scholarship player could be done, but why do it? A coach's kid, maybe?

Scholarship players that take a redshirt still count as one of the 13. Someone asked if it counted. Does that clear it up? A kid could get 5 years on scholarship and possibly a 6th if they qualify for a medical redshirt. Redshirting a non scholarship player could be done, but why do it? A coach's kid, maybe?
Okay. Your phrasing made be think you were saying a redshirt player didn't count against the scholarship limit.

Is there a roster limit? IOW, could you field a 15 player team with two kids paying their own way?

Okay. Your phrasing made be think you were saying a redshirt player didn't count against the scholarship limit.

Is there a roster limit? IOW, could you field a 15 player team with two kids paying their own way?
Last year I think Crean had 17 players on the team including walkons.

The stats on the IU page show that 14 players got in games this past year and, in 2015-16, a total of 15 players got in games throughout the year.

Prediction: Davis, Bryant, Green, Jones, Wright, Smith, Moore, Newkirk, McSwain, Hartman, Johnson

Leaving - Blackmon, Gelon, OG
On Fence - Priller
Not Coming - Durham
You think Moore still comes and Durham doesn't? I kind of thought the opposite. And I'm not sure Wright will switch. I agree w all others. Maybe Jones on the fence. I think Green is an Archie type player. Has Rojo made up his mind? Thought I read his dad saying he has options?

You think Moore still comes and Durham doesn't? I kind of thought the opposite. And I'm not sure Wright will switch. I agree w all others. Maybe Jones on the fence. I think Green is an Archie type player. Has Rojo made up his mind? Thought I read his dad saying he has options?
If Archie wants Wright, does he need Durham? Durham already asked for release so unless he wants both you have one that wants to come and one that currently does not.

With the hiring of Bruiser and Moore being from Philly I like that connection. There is a need for Clifton at IU and his stock has been trending up.

I don't know enough about Archie and his style yet to know if he will want another guard but Dayton had some tough athletic kids so Smith should fit in well.

I think we had 16 this year. Not sure if all 16 travel on the road. I don't know what or if there is a limit is to dress for a game.

I think new coaches get a pass on "Creaning" in their first year. Painter advised 2 Keady recruits that they would never play at Purdue under him, and they left. The new football coach has had quite a few kids leave as well. It's sort of to be expected.

Archie should tell JBJ that his players will play defense, and that he likely won't set foot on the court if he were to come back.

Yeah that'd be really fkn smart. Run off your best player for the upcoming season.

God you Purdue ppl are stupid.

Reactions: Hawk_Circle_Hoosier
You think JBJ is your best player, and I'm the stupid one?

He sucks.
Top 2% scoring per minute. Top 5% 3 pt ratio. Very low TO ratio especially for his usage factor. Top 5% rebounds for his position. Average 1.25 pts per possession used. Yea, you're without doubt the dumb one. He has defensive issues, yea, but that 60% efg% outweighs them.

Edit: rebounding.

Last edited:
Yep, you're definitely the stupid one.
You guys all think that lazy, overrated coach-killer is your best player? Wow.

I highly doubt your new coach shares your view. Your old coach might have though.

Where was his great rebounding against us at AH, and against Minnesota at the Barn?

Top 2% scoring per minute. Top 5% 3 pt ratio. Very low TO ratio especially for his usage factor. Top 5% rebounds for his position. Average 1.25 pts per possession used. Yea, you're without doubt the dumb one. He has defensive issues, yea, but that 60% efg% outweighs them.

Edit: rebounding.
What is IU record the last three years in games JBJ played vs games he did not play?

He's a terrific offensive player. He sucks on defense because he's been exposed to too much orange.

Again, go back to your shthole of a board and spread more of your stupidity.
Blaming Crean for his horrific defense. Wow. Are you blaming Crean for his terrible defense in high school also?

Here's a fact: a defense is only as good as its weakest link. Hint: JBJ is the weakest link.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT