ADVERTISEMENT

I’m not discouraged by yesterday

I wanted Love from UNC.
well, my recollection is that we did pursue him, and I thought I recalled that there was a story on the front page about it. Also seemed to me in that instance that we scratched him from our list for some reason (NIL requirements?). Personally I thought Love was not a good fit for us, but we obviously could use an outside scoring threat. I thought maybe what happened was that our coaching staff didn't think he was a good fit and stopped recruiting him. All I know is that initially there seemed a lot of interest with Love and then it seemed to cool off entirely.

We do not want Gunn to leave. Or Banks for that matter. Many, many college players are the best version of themselves as jr and sr. We do not want an endless cycle of playing Fr and So with a couple transfers. Gunn and Banks still have 2.5 years to develop into key players or good roll players. Everyone doesn’t get it at the same schedule.
Gunn is trending the way of Bates. I'll be surprised if he's on the team next year, provided this year doesn't improve for him.

Gunn is trending the way of Bates. I'll be surprised if he's on the team next year, provided this year doesn't improve for him.
You could be right but I think Bates moved on more because of family. He is getting less minutes per game so far this season for Miz than last year for IU. He is scoring more efficiently.

Unless Gunn wants to leave I think he will be back and better.

I hate morel victories but this was not a bad loss. Overall IU played well. In the end their guards were the difference makers.

And yes I think having X would have made a big difference. Cupps played very well. Extremely well for a freshman in that environment. But he was non existent in the offensive end. X is better at D and much better scorer. X plays and I think IU wins that game.

This team is gelling. Woodson previewed his shorter bench on Saturday. I wouldn't want to play this IU team the rest of the year. Especially when X gets back.

Reactions: sglowrider
I don’t believe in moral victories and everyone knows I’m not one of the sunshine pumpers on here, but after yesterday I actually feel more optimistic about the season in general. If the team can bring this kind of effort on a consistent basis we’re going to have some success in the B10 and easily exceed the “experts’ opinion” on where we’ll end up.

That said, I was very disappointed in Mgbako’s effort after he got the 4th foul. He was worthless when he came back into the game late. I thought he had a shot at a key rebound down the stretch and he didn’t even try. Seems like one of those guys who thinks he plays hard but really has no concept of what that means yet. Which is very frustrating because his potential huge. Woody needs to wake him up and let him know what time it is in practice here before the new year.
As a freshman I was not expecting for Mgbako to do much after sitting so long. Hindsight is always 20/20 but perhaps he should have just played and not drawn his 5th foul. He had four fouls at the end of the game, but the game was over. So my view is you roll the dice because his offense was missing while on the bench.

As a freshman I was not expecting for Mgbako to do much after sitting so long. Hindsight is always 20/20 but perhaps he should have just played and not drawn his 5th foul. He had four fouls at the end of the game, but the game was over. So my view is you roll the dice because his offense was missing while on the bench.
McCullar played about 8 minutes with 4 fouls. Sometimes you take a chance. Granted Mgbako was waiting quite a while to check in. Is it ever a valid strategy to just throw the ball out of bounds off of an opponent (or even just step out of bounds) to get a substitution?

I don’t believe in moral victories and everyone knows I’m not one of the sunshine pumpers on here, but after yesterday I actually feel more optimistic about the season in general. If the team can bring this kind of effort on a consistent basis we’re going to have some success in the B10 and easily exceed the “experts’ opinion” on where we’ll end up.

That said, I was very disappointed in Mgbako’s effort after he got the 4th foul. He was worthless when he came back into the game late. I thought he had a shot at a key rebound down the stretch and he didn’t even try. Seems like one of those guys who thinks he plays hard but really has no concept of what that means yet. Which is very frustrating because his potential huge. Woody needs to wake him up and let him know what time it is in practice here before the new year.

Agreed. The energy was in high gear. Turnovers in key possessions seems too frequent. Maybe high energy mode increases errors with split second decisions. Time and repetition should condition less turnovers.

Frustrating loss, but the team as a whole is getting better. Unfortunately, the growth is limited to Ware, Malik, TG, and MM. And to a lesser degree - Cupps and Walker. Gunn seems lost. Banks would be better if he would just stop thinking about scoring. MM is growing by leaps and bounds. His effort and confidence are growing. He is going to have occasional lapses, but so is every other player. That was a big stage and he showed up.
As many have said, this team could take off if X can make a fast successful return. Cupps is doing his job, but we need a year 3 Cupps right now, not a year 1 Cupps. Not his fault.
That’s growth from basically everyone that plays. How much growth do you want?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT