ADVERTISEMENT

Hummers are almost back……

Today was the first day for no hummers. That’s the longest we’ve had them around. We might get a late one or two migrating south but would almost doubt it as the temps are in the 40s at night and would imagine they all headed south by now. They’re heading your way kkott. By the way Rock Hill (Farms) bourbon is my favorite. Doubt that it was named after one in your area but thought I’d mention it.

Reactions: kkott
I took down our feeders and cleaned them for storage yesterday. Hadn't had a visit for 10 days.

Cleaned up the "regular" feeders and will start filling them with seed this weekend.

• Sad
Today was the first day for no hummers. That’s the longest we’ve had them around. We might get a late one or two migrating south but would almost doubt it as the temps are in the 40s at night and would imagine they all headed south by now. They’re heading your way kkott. By the way Rock Hill (Farms) bourbon is my favorite. Doubt that it was named after one in your area but thought I’d mention it.
Hmmm, never heard of Rock Hill Farms, so doubt it's from around here, but I'll ask the local liquor store I frequent. Have a decent bourbon section and they like smaller brands. That would probably have a cult following here!

I'm still getting hummers and our lowest temps have been down to around 50. Changed my nectar last night and wondering what tropical storm Ian will do to their migrations! Still seeing them but seems like the activity is definitely dropping an guessing moreso after this storm, but we'll see. I'm in the final stretch. Last year when I saw the last one on 10/15 it had been nearly a couple weeks since I'd seen one, so we're hitting that time and I expect them to be scarce after this weekend.

Hmmm, never heard of Rock Hill Farms, so doubt it's from around here, but I'll ask the local liquor store I frequent. Have a decent bourbon section and they like smaller brands. That would probably have a cult following here!

I'm still getting hummers and our lowest temps have been down to around 50. Changed my nectar last night and wondering what tropical storm Ian will do to their migrations! Still seeing them but seems like the activity is definitely dropping an guessing moreso after this storm, but we'll see. I'm in the final stretch. Last year when I saw the last one on 10/15 it had been nearly a couple weeks since I'd seen one, so we're hitting that time and I expect them to be scarce after this weekend.
No hummers in the last two days now. Rock Hill Farms bourbon is made I believe by Buffalo Trace. I bought it several years ago for a little over 100 but since the Covid hit the distillery cut back on production and now it’s around 400. Needless to say it’ll be the last one I’ll buy for quite awhile.

Just saw a late season hummer at my back feeder. Checked and the last 1 I saw last year was actually 10/9/21 based on the picture I took, not 10/15 when I posted. Guessing the 10/15 showed up from some replies. Cut down to 1 in front and 1 in back but am going to leave them up through the winter, just in case. I thought I might see them later at the back feeder. It gets great afternoon sun. Move my warmer plants out there late in the year and when I had covid, I'd veg in a lounge chair out there with a weighted blanket enjoying some Vitamin D!

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Just saw a late season hummer at my back feeder. Checked and the last 1 I saw last year was actually 10/9/21 based on the picture I took, not 10/15 when I posted. Guessing the 10/15 showed up from some replies. Cut down to 1 in front and 1 in back but am going to leave them up through the winter, just in case. I thought I might see them later at the back feeder. It gets great afternoon sun. Move my warmer plants out there late in the year and when I had covid, I'd veg in a lounge chair out there with a weighted blanket enjoying some Vitamin D!
Had another HB visit this morning: 10/8 and the last visit I saw last year was 10/9. Just about to the end of the season, but still hoping I see another 1 or 2!

10/9, and first thing I saw when I looked out on the back porch was a female hummer all puffed up against the 49 degree cold. She sat on the feeder for 2-3 minutes refueling for her long flight! Same date as the last one I saw last year it looks like. And, it might likely be the last one I see this year. Not that I won't have anymore visits, but I don't get a chance to see them much during the week. Last year it had been several days since I'd seen one, but this year I've seen them pretty regularly so thinking I might still have a few more late season visits.

10/9, and first thing I saw when I looked out on the back porch was a female hummer all puffed up against the 49 degree cold. She sat on the feeder for 2-3 minutes refueling for her long flight! Same date as the last one I saw last year it looks like. And, it might likely be the last one I see this year. Not that I won't have anymore visits, but I don't get a chance to see them much during the week. Last year it had been several days since I'd seen one, but this year I've seen them pretty regularly so thinking I might still have a few more late season visits.
Looking forward to your next post of another sighting tomorrow.

• Haha
Reactions: Moops
Looking forward to your next post of another sighting tomorrow.
Sorry, I dig the end of year sightings. I'm thinking I may not see anymore. The visits have been mostly in the morning, but I leave now while it's still dark, so I'm thinking I won't really have another chance to see one until next weekend. But, who knows?

Maybe if I get really whacked, next year I'll set up a game camera or 2 at the end of the year!

Sorry, I dig the end of year sightings. I'm thinking I may not see anymore. The visits have been mostly in the morning, but I leave now while it's still dark, so I'm thinking I won't really have another chance to see one until next weekend. But, who knows?

Maybe if I get really whacked, next year I'll set up a game camera or 2 at the end of the year!
We were going to buy one of those game cams but my wife said she really didn’t want to know what was roaming around our house at night. Maybe for day time it would be fine.

Hummingbirds?

Bait and Switch Foul.

You know the drill - penance is due.
tumblr_p89f4lLcyM1uje5dio1_400.gif

bbe793dc5b1ddcd476d9beebf508e97b.gif

gladly!

Just had a HB at my back feeder. That one off my back deck catches the afternoon sun and I bet it's almost 10 degrees warmer out there than the front. I enjoy happy hour out there myself on a cooler but sunny fall/winter afternoon, so I'm glad the hummers do too! 10/13 versus 10/9 for last year, so a little later... and who knows, may still see more! Gonna be a gorgeous weekend here!

Last edited:
Just had a HB at my back feeder. That one off my back deck catches the afternoon sun and I bet it's almost 10 degrees warmer out there than the front. I enjoy happy hour out there myself on a cooler but sunny fall/winter afternoon, so I'm glad the hummers do too! 10/13 versus 10/9 for last year, so a little later... and who knows, may still see more! Gonna be a gorgeous weekend here!
I’d imagine that with this cold front coming in that the hummers will be gone in one way or the other. Nice to see they’re still around but you never know with the changes in climate. With highs in the 40’s and lows in the 20’s I would think we won’t see any more till next spring.

I’d imagine that with this cold front coming in that the hummers will be gone in one way or the other. Nice to see they’re still around but you never know with the changes in climate. With highs in the 40’s and lows in the 20’s I would think we won’t see any more till next spring.
Well, bear in mind I'm in SC! I've seen a hummer everyday since Thursday, including this morning: 10/16. Gotta be near the end, but I'm enjoying seeing them still. Especially since I'm getting relatively few visits overall; feels special when I do see one. Weather has been fantastic during the day, and in the 70s, almost 80 yesterday, but dipping into the 40s at night.

10/19, and I thought I'd seen my last hummer for the year with the cold front moving in, but when I got home tonight, there was a female all puffed up against the cold out on my feeder on the front porch. 10 days after the last one I saw last year!

10/23. Returned from my beach fishing trip and saw a hummer at my back feeder within minutes of getting back! Great weather here, so they are still passing through!

Reactions: bwcoach
10/23. Returned from my beach fishing trip and saw a hummer at my back feeder within minutes of getting back! Great weather here, so they are still passing through!
10/24: saw another one when I got home from work! That back deck gets great afternoon sun and is probably 10 degrees warmer than the regular outside temp.

Last edited:
10/24: saw another one when I got home from work! That back deck gets great afternoon sun and is probably 10 degrees warmer than the regular outside temp.
So you have to wonder if their internal clock is messed up, they’re too old or sick or just waiting till the last minute to leave. Climate change is one thing but their leaving is supposed to be based on the position of the sun. Or it must be daylight savings time that’s screwing them up.

So you have to wonder if their internal clock is messed up, they’re too old or sick or just waiting till the last minute to leave. Climate change is one thing but their leaving is supposed to be based on the position of the sun. Or it must be daylight savings time that’s screwing them up.
I've always heard that it's the photoperiod that regulates most migrations and mating too. Maybe the tilt of the earth is off.

Or... as I've said, I've seen studies that say that there is a small population of hummers that overwinter in SC! There was one in the winter of 20-21 that stayed over the winter in Pickens, SC, about an hour from me. Quite unlikely that I'd have that, but it would start with appearing to be around late. Also, I assume they are different birds, but almost all of the ones I've seen in the last 2 weeks have been females (all females) that appear to be "puffed up" against the cold. But, maybe it could be the same one and that's just how she rolls!

Spent the last 2 weeks with my father in law in the SF Bay area. Hummingbirds are year round there. I put a feeder up on the first day and started seeing them. Crappy cell phone pics at too high of a zoom.

SFEj9jY.jpg

w6EmLTY.jpg

• Love
Spent the last 2 weeks with my father in law in the SF Bay area. Hummingbirds are year round there. I put a feeder up on the first day and started seeing them. Crappy cell phone pics at too high of a zoom.

SFEj9jY.jpg

w6EmLTY.jpg
Yeah, West Coast hummer watcher's have it way better!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT