ADVERTISEMENT

Huddle Shuttle progress

TMFT

All-Big Ten
Nov 4, 2019

After some initial success, we hit a HUGE snag getting the old floor up. In particular the rails on the floor that the bus seats secure down to. Had to cut probably 100+ bolts with a saws all.

But that’s done and it’s easy street now.

Last week got the door mounted and put a functioning door knob with a lock on it.

Got the first layer of insulation over most of it this weekend, cut and glued. And was able to get the floor treated for rust, a coat of enamel paint, insulated, and now the subfloor glued down.

Next steps are to install the RV windows, insulate the ceiling, attach my framing, & install the exterior cameras. Then I’ll be able to get it the paint shop and then hit the home stretch.

Been quite the endeavor, but still moving forward.

After some initial success, we hit a HUGE snag getting the old floor up. In particular the rails on the floor that the bus seats secure down to. Had to cut probably 100+ bolts with a saws all.

Last week got the door mounted and put a functioning door knob with a lock on it.

Got the first layer of insulation over most of it this weekend, cut and glued. And was able to get the floor treated for rust, a coat of enamel paint, insulated, and now the subfloor glued down.

Next steps are to install the RV windows, insulate the ceiling, attach my framing, & install the exterior cameras. Then I’ll be able to get it the paint shop and then hit the home stretch.

Keep plugging away as I bet it will be worth it when finished.

Reactions: TMFT and 76-1
What is this project? I must have missed the start thread.
I had mentioned a project my boy & I are doing in some previous thread. https://indiana.forums.rivals.com/threads/rip-rooftop-at-the-rock.238789/#post-3958256

We bought a 2008 International short bus and we're converting it to a weekender tailgate RV.

We went to all of the games last year (home & away) and hotel prices are insane. Like, 2 nights in State College at a crappy hotel was like $950. I figured an RV would end up saving us money in the long run. Turns out it's going to take several years to get the ROI, but I'm here for it. Overall though, it's worth it to just spend time with my son.

PLUS I would be able to no longer have to leave Indy at 4AM to get in line for the grass lots to open because Junior demands to be the first tailgater. With 8 home games this year, I'm VERY excited for being able to sleep as long as I want to on Saturdays.

I decided to open up a Flickr account to log the progress and wanted to share. I'll probably do the next dump of photos in a 3-4 weeks, hopefully, after I've gotten the exterior painted.

I had mentioned a project my boy & I are doing in some previous thread. https://indiana.forums.rivals.com/threads/rip-rooftop-at-the-rock.238789/#post-3958256

We bought a 2008 International short bus and we're converting it to a weekender tailgate RV.

We went to all of the games last year (home & away) and hotel prices are insane. Like, 2 nights in State College at a crappy hotel was like $950. I figured an RV would end up saving us money in the long run. Turns out it's going to take several years to get the ROI, but I'm here for it. Overall though, it's worth it to just spend time with my son.

PLUS I would be able to no longer have to leave Indy at 4AM to get in line for the grass lots to open because Junior demands to be the first tailgater. With 8 home games this year, I'm VERY excited for being able to sleep as long as I want to on Saturdays.

I decided to open up a Flickr account to log the progress and wanted to share. I'll probably do the next dump of photos in a 3-4 weeks, hopefully, after I've gotten the exterior painted.
Congrats.
Amazing you have this skill.
Wonderful time with your son.
Your son’s family will use it long after you and I are gone.

Not only do we have eight home games, but three of the four road games are within four hours of Bloomington...if ever there were a great time for somebody to develop my unhealthy addiction to attending all the games, this would be the year.

Last edited:
Not only do we have eight home games, but three of the four road games are within four hours of Bloomington...if ever the was a great time for somebody to develop my unhealthy addiction to attending all the games, this would be the year.
Nice putting pressure on the building crew.

Reactions: vesuvius13

Very nice. Big project!

Installed the cabinets & bought the countertop (not attached yet). Also got the storage bench built that's going to end up being our couch/bed. Big project recently has been getting the ceiling insulated & finished. Used luan plywood for the ceiling because it was thin enough to bend so I didn't have to make any cuts. Mrs. TMFT was a huge help because it was certainly not a 1 man project. Junior even tried to help a little, which was nice for a change.

If I can finish framing out the base of the bathroom today I might put down the floor & paint the ceiling.

Productive weekend.
  1. Called an audible and decided to do a full wrap vs paint & decal. Took it to a graphics place on Friday so they could measure and get the design process started. Excited to see how that shakes out.
  2. Attached the countertop
  3. Started hanging shiplap. Underestimated how much I'd need so I'll head to Lowe's this week for another 10-12 planks
  4. Added the rest of the drawer pulls & put hinges on couch/storage boxes
  5. Used extra materials from when we had our daughter's room redone a few years ago (the pros bought too much) and put down the floor. Notching around the bench seats was a bear. But overall pleased with how it came out.
  6. As any carpenters out there will notice, this whole thing is DIY AF. Not a miter joint to be found. Gonna be pretty liberal with the trim/quarter round/caulk though :)
  7. Still easily on track to get a couple test trips in prior to opening day.

Last edited:
Productive weekend.
  1. Called an audible and decided to do a full wrap vs paint & decal. Took it to a graphics place on Friday so they could measure and get the design process started. Excited to see how that shakes out.
  3. Started hanging shiplap. Underestimated how much I'd need so I'll head to Lowe's this week for another 10-12 planks
  5. Used extra materials from when we had our daughter's room redone a few years ago (the pros bought too much) and put down the floor. Notching around the bench seats was a bear. But overall pleased with how it came out.
  6. As any carpenters out there will notice, this whole thing is DIY AF. Not a miter joint to be found. Gonna be pretty liberal with the trim/quarter round/caulk though :)

I like the idea of a wrap on your Huddle Shuttle. The inside is taking shape and nothing wrong with it being a bit rustic.

Productive weekend.

I salute your vision and hard work.

Looking great. How did you learn what to do with all this stuff?
Thank you.

It’s not really all that complicated and I’m certainly not particularly skilled at it (the passenger side window is crooked as hell and it kills me, but a lot harder to put the metal back once you’ve cut it) See some of the skoolie builds on YouTube. There are some serious craftsmen out there.

I finished my basement years ago, so kind of the same as that. Watch a lot of YouTube videos and do online reading on framing/wiring/etc.

Just enough to be able to visualize what I want to do then work the problems as they come up.

There are things you can’t see in the pictures that have been a hassle and because I’m too lazy to do things right. For example, I’m having to cut a lot of pieces at slightly different lengths because I didn’t build it dead ass square, didn’t use a plumb, and because I’m building inside a curved space anyway. But it looks good from my house, as the construction guys say.

When I cut the metal rod on one of the bifold door to take it off it was the real “throw your cap over the wall” moment. Because once I cut it, it wasn’t going back. So I had to figure out how to marry the doors together to act as a single door or I’d have to take the whole thing off and frame in an exterior door.

Thank you.

It’s not really all that complicated and I’m certainly not particularly skilled at it (the passenger side window is crooked as hell and it kills me, but a lot harder to put the metal back once you’ve cut it) See some of the skoolie builds on YouTube. There are some serious craftsmen out there.

I finished my basement years ago, so kind of the same as that. Watch a lot of YouTube videos and do online reading on framing/wiring/etc.

Just enough to be able to visualize what I want to do then work the problems as they come up.

There are things you can’t see in the pictures that have been a hassle and because I’m too lazy to do things right. For example, I’m having to cut a lot of pieces at slightly different lengths because I didn’t build it dead ass square, didn’t use a plumb, and because I’m building inside a curved space anyway. But it looks good from my house, as the construction guys say.

When I cut the metal rod on one of the bifold door to take it off it was the real “throw your cap over the wall” moment. Because once I cut it, it wasn’t going back. So I had to figure out how to marry the doors together to act as a single door or I’d have to take the whole thing off and frame in an exterior door.
Well good for you to take this on. I do a lot of stuff these days by watching YouTube videos as well. It is really great having that wealth of information available. I would love to stop by and see the result at the first game if I may.

What have you done with the engine and rest of the drivetrain, or maybe what are you worried about with the engine and the rest is a better question?

Reactions: vesuvius13
What have you done with the engine and rest of the drivetrain, or maybe what are you worried about with the engine and the rest is a better question?
I had it serviced. Other than that nothing yet. Fingers crossed it doesn’t turn into a major money pit mechanically. My plan is just to stay up on the maintenance with a bus shop up here to go over everything annually to make sure it’s up to snuff.

Once I finish my work on it there’s some parasitic draw on the battery that I have to figure out because it draws 1.5 amps even with the master switch turned off. So something’s hinky and my current fix of disconnecting the battery every time it’s off is not ideal, if effective.

The lady I bought it from drove it up to Indy from Bloomington for the sale so it can at least make that trip.

It’s got 146k miles, but it’s a diesel so it should last a while and I don’t expect to put a ton of miles on it over the course of a given year (probably fewer than 6k).

Once I finish my work on it there’s some parasitic draw on the battery that I have to figure out because it draws 1.5 amps even with the master switch turned off. So something’s hinky and my current fix of disconnecting the battery every time it’s off is not ideal, if effective.
Might want to figure that out before you go any further on the build. Just my 2 cents.

Great project. Thanks for sharing all the pictures and the response.

Reactions: IU73 and vesuvius13
Dang, I'm STILL underestimating my shiplap needs. I'm going to have to get like another 10-12 to finish the interior. Killing me.

Anyway, Junior "helped" paint on Father's Day. Even got some on the walls, against all odds. I started staining the cab area last night but am going to wait until I can complete the 2nd wall. Scheduling the wrap to be completed soon.

We're having a blowout party on Saturday, so no work this weekend, but I'm hoping to get the rest of the interior main work done & exterior utilities cut in over the next week & a half. Once it gets back from getting wrapped we'll need to wire up the interior 12v system & do the (extensive) trim work.

Interior 1
Interior 2

Cab (cedar stain)

Design Proof

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT