ADVERTISEMENT

How to get rich

I actually agree, but with three little kids and a shit work schedule (maybe I'll follow your lead eventually), it makes it nearly impossible to keep up with.

I use to be the same way, having 3 girls of my own.

I can't always do it all at once. A hour here and then a finish the rest later. All together including the field, it'll take just under 3 hours, so it's a lot to do.

Just any time away to myself is greatly appreciated, plus I get a little pleasure making the yard look nice.

Also, gardening is very relaxing. We've got a little strawberry patch we planted last year that is doing well that is nice to go back and pick. We've also planted tomatoes, cucumbers and rhubarb. When we first moved out here we did a big 30×30 space. That was super nice to go out in the morning and water and see what was coming up.

I was a full blown city boy turned country bumpkin now.

We went to Telluride a couple of years ago, it was during "mud season". IE, after the snow melted but before the summer activities started. It is beautiful, but at that time it is quite dead. As in I walked down main street at 5:30 on a Saturday, the middle of the street, as there were no cars or people.

Grand Lake is one entrance to RMNP. The drive across on Trail Ridge is beautiful and can be scary. I had to tell my kids when they were young "watch the center yellow line". There is a 1-foot shoulder and a 12000-foot drop to the sides in places. So going across to the main RMNP is quite doable from Grand Lake. But if you get over and don't want to make that drive again, the way around is like 3 hours. I would suggest taking a day and going over to the eastern part of RMNP and Estes Park before going to Telluride.
We would be going late June or mid-July, should miss mud season. Leaning towards Grand Lake b/c it seems a little more low key than Estes. Working on the rough sketch of the trip now

We are planning our trip next year. We want to do a few nights in Grand Lake, CO and do the park during the day.
Then do Telluride for the next 5 days. Should we skip RMNP, and just stay in Telluride?
I have been to CO but not RMNP, my kids have never been to CO........comments? concerns?
Of course you want to do RMNP.... beautiful. You need to drive to the top of Mt Evans also. I could name a lot of other places also. Make sure to hike to the waterfalls at Telluride

Top of Mt Evans...................
1Q2o5pE.jpg

gW2XHSL.jpg

We would be going late June or mid-July, should miss mud season. Leaning towards Grand Lake b/c it seems a little more low key than Estes. Working on the rough sketch of the trip now
Grand Lake will be less crowded/touristy. The lake is great, er grand, we spent a day there last time. But a day over the mountains to the east side is well worth it.

You aren't going to be near some places I would recommend, we liked the Royal Gorge railroad, the Air Force museum, and you are at the wrong time for dog sledding which was great fun. You will be close in Telluride to the Million Dollar Highway. Like Trail Ridge Road, it is tall, fabulous views, and be careful.

If you go into RMNP you should take the one way road in the Fall River area to the top(one way going to the summit). It's all gravel but a good road. If you go in late June it may not be open...their goal is to get it open by July 4th. That means you may have to backtrack some or drive some of the same road twice. We always drive up it because there's not many people and it's just a nice drive...there's also a waterfall on it.

What is rich?

I don't know, but my goal is to retire with 2M in retirement funds between my wife and me. That way, even conservatively invested, say netting a 4% average annual return, that would give 80K per year in investment income alone, on average. Hopefully more, as I don't need to be too conservative with investing if we meet the 2M goal.

Add in social security income for both of us, after 67, and we are well over 100K/year, with no mortgages and just funds needed for health care, travel, and a generally non-extravagant life. That seems rich enough. As a farmer's kid, I'd call that rich.

Bad years for the market would chip into the 2M principal, but there would be 20 years worth of principal spending there too, as an option, and if a nursing home is needed.

We are in max-save mode, with kids through college and the house now paid off. I think we can get there.

My worry is that climate change effects will be a big drag on markets

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and larsIU
Three kids??? ... you should have spent more time on the mower. 🤣 🤣 🤣 Just giving you a hard time. :)

To be honest, I wish I had to try harder. I realize I'm lucky in the fertility department, but god damn, I feel like I didn't even get time to enjoy the wife's brief urges for conception.

What I am calling "climate change effects on the market" are

1) paying for actual impacts of climate change (more floods, stronger hurricanes, more droughts, more fires, coastal erosion and subsidence)
2) spending by governments to ward off such effects, whether they are real or not.

#2 is happening and is going to happen, even if you believe (wrongly) that climate change (#1) is a hoax.

sorry for the aside, and I am not intending to derail the thread.

What I am calling "climate change effects on the market" are

1) paying for actual impacts of climate change (more floods, stronger hurricanes, more droughts, more fires, coastal erosion and subsidence)
2) spending by governments to ward off such effects, whether they are real or not.

#2 is happening and is going to happen, even if you believe (wrongly) that climate change (#1) is a hoax.

sorry for the aside, and I am not intending to derail the thread.
Sure couldn't prove that last statement with me. If you didn't want to derail the thread you would have said "#2 is happening and is going to happen, even if you believe that climate change (#1) is a hoax."

If you didn't want to derail the thread you would have said "#2 is happening and is going to happen, even if you believe that climate change (#1) is a hoax."
I did, with one added word, since as a scientist I really am not inclined to foster anti-science campaigns.

you want
#2 is happening and is going to happen, even if you believe that climate change (#1) is a hoax.

I said

But I am fine with your version, without the one word editorial.

Spending to combat climate change
is happening,
will happen, and
will not be a painless effort, economically.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
Anyone that doesn't mow their own lawn is really missing out.

It's one of the things I look forward to in life. Those precious hours where I am by myself with a podcast and don't have to worry about anything but making the lawn look good that absolutely nobody but my me, my family and neighbors will see.

It's such a nice getaway from things.
There are just two types of people in this world - those who edge their driveways and sidewalks and those who don’t.

But with that and all the athletic abuse over the years the knees are just about gone. Cortisone shots today. Next scheduled in three months. New x-rays and then the likely determination that I join the New Knees Club. Oh, boy; oh, joy.

There are just two types of people in this world - those who edge their driveways and sidewalks and those who don’t.

But with that and all the athletic abuse over the years the knees are just about gone. Cortisone shots today. Next scheduled in three months. New x-rays and then the likely determination that I join the New Knees Club. Oh, boy; oh, joy.

Both my dad and father in law had a knee replacement- I will tell you they both said the same thing.... they fought doing it but once they went through with it, if they had known what they knew now, they would have just got it over with and got the new knee sooner. They went through so much pain and now they get around so much easier, it's night and day.

Hope everything works out well for you and you find some relief.

I did, with one added word, since as a scientist I really am not inclined to foster anti-science campaigns.

you want
#2 is happening and is going to happen, even if you believe that climate change (#1) is a hoax.

I said

But I am fine with your version, without the one word editorial.

is happening,
will happen, and
I worked with scientist for years and years and know that science sometimes is a best guess situation. My wife was a research scientist and I know how frustrated she got sometimes when she's say some along the lines of "All the science points to X so what I done should have worked but it didn't". I've always loved science because to me it's like working a big puzzle and the last piece is not always easy to find. :)

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
OS is actually correct in a roundabout way. If the climate zealots are successful in their push towards forms of energy they mistakenly view as clean or even worse “efficient”, the deliterious economic effects are are incalculable and will definitely be a long term drag on growth and thus the market.

As far as severe weather events or drastic climate changes negatively affecting the market, there is nothing to support that prediction, nothing at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crayfish57
is happening,
will happen, and
I am in complete agreement with that... may be some kind of carbon tax on us. But if China, India and several other countries don't get on board are we gonna be successful?

China's a strange case for sure. They are going all-out on trying to dominate all forms of green tech, from solar to better batteries to better wind turbines, then at the same time they are building coal fired plants out the wazoo.

What is rich?

I don't know, but my goal is to retire with 2M in retirement funds between my wife and me. That way, even conservatively invested, say netting a 4% average annual return, that would give 80K per year in investment income alone, on average. Hopefully more, as I don't need to be too conservative with investing if we meet the 2M goal.

Add in social security income for both of us, after 67, and we are well over 100K/year, with no mortgages and just funds needed for health care, travel, and a generally non-extravagant life. That seems rich enough. As a farmer's kid, I'd call that rich.

Bad years for the market would chip into the 2M principal, but there would be 20 years worth of principal spending there too, as an option, and if a nursing home is needed.

We are in max-save mode, with kids through college and the house now paid off. I think we can get there.

Climate change is your main worry about meeting your financial goals. Not Joe Biden? You might as well plan on working until 70.

• Love
Reactions: Lucy01
What is rich?

You're a world famous scientist and you HOPE to save $2 million for retirement?

Damn, I'm already there and I have 2 fewer Ivy League degrees! How can that be?

Maybe he lives in a higher cost of living area than you. Or donates more. Or maybe you are FOS.

Maybe he lives in a higher cost of living area than you. Or donates more. Or maybe you are FOS.
Donates what? He's never bragged about giving to charity - and he's nothing if not a braggart.

You only think I'm "FOS" because you believe your leftist buddies here - you're used to people lying to you.

Reactions: Lucy01
If I were in it for the money, I would not be an academic but would have instead remained in big pharma.

Learn and develop a skill that allows you to work for yourself. After almost 25 years of self-employment, I can't imagine working for another company.

Reactions: DANC and Lucy01
Donates what? He's never bragged about giving to charity - and he's nothing if not a braggart.

You only think I'm "FOS" because you believe your leftist buddies here - you're used to people lying to you.
I disagree with the left lying Danc, they always cover their butt with words like could, maybe, might, that way they say I didn’t lie, I didn’t say it happened I said it could.

Reactions: DANC and td75
This is the thread for million-dollar betting picks, insider trading information, and brilliant (or insane) business ideas.

FYI—I lost quite a bit on A&Ms loss to Appalachian State and would like to pay for my kids’ college if possible, so let’s make this quick.

Bet the 49ers, give the points. The Bears suck and I have no faith in Fields. I’m half-a-mortgage payment sure.
You’ll never get rich working for someone else. You need to own your own business. Invest in yourself, that way you control what happens.

Reactions: td75
I’ve read N Dakota is many people’s last state. It is mine. Last year we considered driving from SD just to say we did it, but didn’t have time. Not sure I’ll hit that one.

mine will be MS. I can’t think of a single reason to go to or through

I’ve read N Dakota is many people’s last state. It is mine. Last year we considered driving from SD just to say we did it, but didn’t have time. Not sure I’ll hit that one.

We looked at going to N. Dakota when we were in Sturgis, but even in South Dakota one is a million miles from North Dakota.

Reactions: twenty02
Most businesses fail and plenty of people get "rich" working for 'someone else'. Maybe not like 9 figures... but definitely 8.
Need BIG ideas. I'm too old to change. Been working for myself for nearly 20 years. I don't think anyone will hire me now; I'm too old.

So far, you guys suck at this. I was counting on at least McM to throw out some manufacturing ideas, legal factory ideas, etc. Very disappointed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT