ADVERTISEMENT

How to get rich

That's what I consider a good vacation... rather do that any day than go on a cruise or go to Disney World. We're headed out before long to visit Badlands NP, Mt. Rushmore, Theodore Roosevelt NP, and some other places my wife has planned. My wife has been to all the states except ND so this is something that she's wanted to do for several years but we just never got around to it (grandkids now :) )

Acadia is beautiful. Make sure you go to Cadillac Mountain.
We did this last year (+Yellowstone). Try to add Custer State Park near Mt. Rushmore. It was awesome. I would forego Crazy Horse. DM me if you want details.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Thanks, this will be our third Acadia trip but first in fall with leaves changing. We have two sunrise visits to Cadillac scheduled (in case of weather). One has to pre-register for that now. We have a windjammer dinner, a horse carriage ride, and all the rest.

I agree, I want to do the parks more than cruises. I would love to do 2 weeks in Iceland, UK, France, and Belgium sometime. Other than that one extravagance, I am content doing US national parks the rest of my life.

We still have not done Yellowstone. It was planned for 2020 along with the giant Aspen Grove in Utah, but something happened in 2020 to stop it

I love your photos on Facebook, I wish I had a photographer's eye. Back in the old film days I would buy tons of black and white film and take pictures at Civil War battlefields like no one's business. Never could get anything good.
I love it there. Bar Harbor is wonderful. Just enough to keep kids going. Will you be able to see whales that time of year?

We did this last year (+Yellowstone). Try to add Custer State Park near Mt. Rushmore. It was awesome. I would forego Crazy Horse. DM me if you want details.
I'll mention that to my wife...not sure we have time but I looked on Google Maps and the pictures from there look beautiful.

One has to pre-register for that now. We have a windjammer dinner, a horse carriage ride, and all the rest.
It's gotten so the NP are so crowded that you can't just drive to a lot of places. When my wife's parents lived in Denver we were out there every year and every year we would go to Bear Lake in Rock Moutain NP but now you can't just drive down to it. The last time we were in RMNP the road to Bear Lake was closed because there were no parking places.

Reactions: 76-1
$10 million

Roughly just north of $3 million would let me lead this life without working (less with social security). So $3.25 million in the bank in southern Indiana with no kids.

I'm not sure what it would take for me. I'd need to upgrade the home, of course. No huge fancy McMansion; I'd like a small but nice older home in one of the gentrified neighborhoods close to downtown. But that would require some extra expenditures for upkeep. Need to get help cleaning and for lawn care and snow removal and all that.

Our cars are fine, but a refresh wouldn't hurt.

The wife has some infirmities that make travel difficult, so there wouldn't be much involved there. Might want to have enough to be able to bankroll friends and family coming to us instead of us doing the traveling.

I'd like to have enough to be able to get good seats for IU ball games, with all the perks the big shots get.

I might even like going back to school and taking some of the advanced undergrad history courses I never got to. Be the old fvck in amongst all the kids.

And there would need to be enough set aside for any long term health care needs that might arise if either of us require it.

And of course, enough to be able to draw on or earn a decent income from.

So, I'm thinking $10M would suffice, but less would probably be doable. It would take some serious number crunching to come up with a proper number.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
It's gotten so the NP are so crowded that you can't just drive to a lot of places. When my wife's parents lived in Denver we were out there every year and every year we would go to Bear Lake in Rock Moutain NP but now you can't just drive down to it. The last time we were in RMNP the road to Bear Lake was closed because there were no parking places.
We did RMNP the last two years, last year one has to schedule their times into RMNP and their times into Bear Lake.

The parks are an amazing success story. Maybe too successful. Someone will privatize them and put in roller coasters and charge 100 times more

I'm not sure what it would take for me. I'd need to upgrade the home, of course. No huge fancy McMansion; I'd like a small but nice older home in one of the gentrified neighborhoods close to downtown. But that would require some extra expenditures for upkeep. Need to get help cleaning and for lawn care and snow removal and all that.

The wife has some infirmities that make travel difficult, so there wouldn't be much involved there. Might want to have enough to be able to bankroll friends and family coming to us instead of us doing the traveling.

I'd like to have enough to be able to get good seats for IU ball games, with all the perks the big shots get.

I might even like going back to school and taking some of the advanced undergrad history courses I never got to. Be the old fvck in amongst all the kids.

And there would need to be enough set aside for any long term health care needs that might arise if either of us require it.

So, I'm thinking $10M would suffice, but less would probably be doable. It would take some serious number crunching to come up with a proper number.
I get great seats for swimming, women's basketball, and baseball. They are amazingly cheap...

We did RMNP the last two years, last year one has to schedule their times into RMNP and their times into Bear Lake.

The parks are an amazing success story. Maybe too successful. Someone will privatize them and put in roller coasters and charge 100 times more
I would like to go back to AK one more time (would make 5 times). I would love to live in Alaska...IN THE SUMMER :D . There's a lot of beauty if you like the outdoors. People always relate Alaska with it being cold but that is just not true in the summer. It can get hot in Fairbanks (90s the last time we were there). It's cool along the ocean in the south but I sure don't call it cold.

Doesn't IU offer classes free or reduced once you hit a certain age? I thought at one time they did.

$5m, you could pull $250k/yr off of that and it would last 30 years or so, with a proper portfolio.... maybe infinitely with decent market returns. That's $20k/mo.... should cover your IU tickets and lawn boy

$5m, you could pull $250k/yr off of that and it would last 30 years or so, with a proper portfolio.... maybe infinitely with decent market returns. That's $20k/mo.... should cover your IU tickets and lawn boy

Good deal. I'll get a Preemie sub when it happens so I can DM you for some more specific guidance.

Reactions: larsIU
Interesting thread and some nice commentary. From 88' through 2004' I made from 50K to 12k. The funny thing was, I had the exact same lifestyle, did the exact same things, and never financially noticed any difference. The things that I did only really changed after I got above 120k, and I became debit free. Debit free being the HUGE part, life changing thing!!! Now that I am north of 120, yea I do different things, but my love is still centered around the crap I did when I made 12k (with 2 young daughters at the time).
I didn't feel rich at 12k... And to be honest, the year before covid hit, I touched 300... Didn't feel rich then either. Just padded some 401k, bring home stayed the same and paid Uncle Sam A LOT more.
Dream Vaca... $4 inner tube, case of beer, floating alone (ore one or two close friends), down a smaller river I haven't floated before. Then of course Boobs on the bank to great the end of the float. Not Bear boobs, bare boobs!

You can take advanced history courses here. For free....

I would like to go back to AK one more time (would make 5 times). I would love to live in Alaska...IN THE SUMMER :D . There's a lot of beauty if you like the outdoors. People always relate Alaska with it being cold but that is just not true in the summer. It can get hot in Fairbanks (90s the last time we were there). It's cool along the ocean in the south but I sure don't call it cold.
Are the bugs awful?

This

That's what I consider a good vacation... rather do that any day than go on a cruise or go to Disney World. We're headed out before long to visit Badlands NP, Mt. Rushmore, Theodore Roosevelt NP, and some other places my wife has planned. My wife has been to all the states except ND so this is something that she's wanted to do for several years but we just never got around to it (grandkids now :) )

Acadia is beautiful. Make sure you go to Cadillac Mountain.
I’ve read N Dakota is many people’s last state. It is mine. Last year we considered driving from SD just to say we did it, but didn’t have time. Not sure I’ll hit that one.

This is the thread for million-dollar betting picks, insider trading information, and brilliant (or insane) business ideas.

FYI—I lost quite a bit on A&Ms loss to Appalachian State and would like to pay for my kids’ college if possible, so let’s make this quick.

Bet the 49ers, give the points. The Bears suck and I have no faith in Fields. I’m half-a-mortgage payment sure.

nice try Brad, I know you work for FINRA or the SEC

Are the bugs awful?
Not really .... I think there was one time in all our trips that we turned back and didn't hike a trail because of all the mosquitoes. Other than that they weren't any worse than IN. I think all of our trips were early in the year (June) so I don't know if that had any bearing on the bugs or not.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Honestly i'm the laziest/most boring investor in the history of investing. I wouldn't even call it investing. It's really more like hiding money from myself.

Vanguard account for super lazy saving of "fun (ish)" and possibly bridge to retirement money (Indiex funds)

No burl
No crypto

I might play around with the Vanguard account a little more but, honestly, it probably makes more sense to just keep increasing the 401k contribution. BOOOORRRRRING

Now, when weed becomes legal in Indiana, and I'm offered an opportunity to get in on a weed shop early on for say under 20K, I'm in for the street cred and story alone.

Doesn't IU offer classes free or reduced once you hit a certain age? I thought at one time they did.
I attend YouTube University nearly everyday at this point. Side note, the sheer quantity of information sharing the internet provides still (barely) edges out the harm done by social media.

Barely.

I even have a diploma

1*HmgZN_p9QLUwYB8UHBKDTQ.jpeg

Anyone that doesn't mow their own lawn is really missing out.

It's one of the things I look forward to in life. Those precious hours where I am by myself with a podcast and don't have to worry about anything but making the lawn look good that absolutely nobody but my me, my family and neighbors will see.

It's such a nice getaway from things.

It's one of the things I look forward to in life. Those precious hours where I am by myself with a podcast and don't have to worry about anything but making the lawn look good that absolutely nobody but my me, my family and neighbors will see.

I'd rather take a beating.

I dunno. Sounds like Baller has some acres and something akin to a Dixie Chopper. It's not a bad way to spend a few hours on a Saturday.

I've got just over 7 acres (only mower 4 of it) that I mow with a clipper 54" rider.

Sometimes I'll help my father in law with his. He's got about 8, but he only does 4.

It's a nice getaway from things.

So plan on marrying for money with my second wife? Guess I need to get back in shape, damn it.

Your advice is sound but boring. This thread is dedicated to those among us who still yearn to hit it big with that one good case, idea, investment. You know: the idiots.
No, just marry a fat rich girl and put HER on a diet.

True story (my best Joe Biden impersonation): In Briscoe in 1975, there was a girl in the dorm who we nicknamed Pork&Beans because, well, she was overweight but she was either a Van Camp or part of the family. Word was she was in line to inherit a shitload of money.

She had a pretty face, but wore thise huge skirts to hid her girth - she was a big girl. Wasn't dating anyone.

Halfway through Fall semester, we noticed she would get her tray of food, sit down, and just SNIFF it. She might take a bite or two, but she'd throw it practically all out. So we knew she was dieting, but didn't think much of it or even notice, because she wore the same outfits which covered her up.

Spring break came and she went to Jamaica and got very tan and changed her wardrobe. DAMN! This girl was hot. Guys were falling all over themselves, trying to date her.

Now, of course, we're not all 18 anymore. But you can't overlook a potential good thing.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

I actually agree, but with three little kids and a shit work schedule (maybe I'll follow your lead eventually), it makes it nearly impossible to keep up with.

That’s women’s work!

We are planning our trip next year. We want to do a few nights in Grand Lake, CO and do the park during the day.
Then do Telluride for the next 5 days. Should we skip RMNP, and just stay in Telluride?
I have been to CO but not RMNP, my kids have never been to CO........comments? concerns?

We are planning our trip next year. We want to do a few nights in Grand Lake, CO and do the park during the day.
Then do Telluride for the next 5 days. Should we skip RMNP, and just stay in Telluride?
I have been to CO but not RMNP, my kids have never been to CO........comments? concerns?

We went to Telluride a couple of years ago, it was during "mud season". IE, after the snow melted but before the summer activities started. It is beautiful, but at that time it is quite dead. As in I walked down main street at 5:30 on a Saturday, the middle of the street, as there were no cars or people.

Grand Lake is one entrance to RMNP. The drive across on Trail Ridge is beautiful and can be scary. I had to tell my kids when they were young "watch the center yellow line". There is a 1-foot shoulder and a 12000-foot drop to the sides in places. So going across to the main RMNP is quite doable from Grand Lake. But if you get over and don't want to make that drive again, the way around is like 3 hours. I would suggest taking a day and going over to the eastern part of RMNP and Estes Park before going to Telluride.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT