ADVERTISEMENT

How overrated was/is Lucas?

Hoosiervannah

Freshman
Jul 31, 2012
I’ve resisted posting this until now but far too much was expected from him. He certainly is fast and athletic but there are certain physical limits that determine one’s ability to compete at the highest level.

Depends on how you rated him I guess. I would’ve expected him to house a few runs/catches by now in competitive games and we haven’t seen that. But I don’t think I expected him to be Tevin Coleman out there. Part of that is him, part of that is the line, part is the play calling.

My only complaint is that he tries to outrun everyone to the edge every time. Just cut it up field once in a while. He doesn’t run between the tackles scared so it’s not like he’s afraid of contact.

None ar all. Put him on an SEC or PAC team that knows how to scheme him open and he is a stud. We have coaches that don't know how to use him. He should never run up the middle on a dive..
Put him on a really good team and his touches would be limited to fewer than 10 a game. We need him to touch the ball a lot. Good teams would use him as a complementary player, not a lead guy.

Put him on a really good team and his touches would be limited to fewer than 10 a game. We need him to touch the ball a lot. Good teams would use him as a complementary player, not a lead guy.
That’s been a big issue with playcalling, IMO, particularly with Bell. Seemed like they were forcing the ball to Jaylin a lot at the expense of getting the offense at large going.

I’ve resisted posting this until now but far too much was expected from him. He certainly is fast and athletic but there are certain physical limits that determine one’s ability to compete at the highest level.
He's not the same player he was last year and in the first game against O$U. He got hurt in that game and I think that's causing him issues.

I don't see the burst I used to see from him. I don't see the jukes or the near-ARE moves that leave tacklers grabbing for air.

I think he's playing hurt, but that's just from comparing him this year to last year.

Moving him to featured RB did him no favors.

That’s been a big issue with playcalling, IMO, particularly with Bell. Seemed like they were forcing the ball to Jaylin a lot at the expense of getting the offense at large going.
He’s our best, most talented guy and the one big play guy we have, so I understand it. Our reliance on him says everything about our talent level.

Really good but they don’t use him correctly. He’s not a RB at all. He’s not a WR at all. He’s needs the ball in space. Bubble screens, toss sweeps, returns. Like someone said up above, he’s a nice addition, but too small to be a focal point. He’s a nice decoy as well. Send him deep on go routes. Open up underneath.

Depends on how you rated him I guess. I would’ve expected him to house a few runs/catches by now in competitive games and we haven’t seen that. But I don’t think I expected him to be Tevin Coleman out there. Part of that is him, part of that is the line, part is the play calling.

My only complaint is that he tries to outrun everyone to the edge every time. Just cut it up field once in a while. He doesn’t run between the tackles scared so it’s not like he’s afraid of contact.
he is just bigger than a minute, use him whenever possible.

He’s our best, most talented guy and the one big play guy we have, so I understand it. Our reliance on him says everything about our talent level.
This is the central point. Coaching can screw it up but ... cliche time .. talent is as talent does or doesn't. It is what it is ..the decline in talent from the Wilson era is shocking...imo.

This is the central point. Coaching can screw it up but ... cliche time .. talent is as talent does or doesn't. It is what it is ..the decline in talent from the Wilson era is shocking...imo.
And yet, Allen's recruiting classes were better.

He is not over rated at all.

He is a gifted but undersized athlete that can make things happen, especially in space.

Out of necessity he is being used in ways that not only are not in his wheelhouse but put him at risk.

He can stay and be the biggest fish in a small pond until he gets broken or he can transfer to a larger pond where he can compliment other big fish and be used in skill-specific ways.

If he were my son, I know what I would encourage him to do.

Reactions: outlawyer
Running him out of the backfield as he’s been used this year is foolish. I think most of us envisioned an effective slot guy running crossers, reverses, occasional speed option, receiver screens, etc. ala Shane Wynn, or dare I say, a poor man’s Wandale Robinson. Well disguised 8-12 touches/game, not including punt and Kick returns should be adequate. He’s also a great decoy too, that could set up other guys…if we had some good play calling, a better line and better QBs.

He is not over rated at all.

He is a gifted but undersized athlete that can make things happen, especially in space.

Out of necessity he is being used in ways that not only are not in his wheelhouse but put him at risk.

He can stay and be the biggest fish in a small pond until he gets broken or he can transfer to a larger pond where he can compliment other big fish and be used in skill-specific ways.

If he were my son, I know what I would encourage him to do.
I would say he’s as good as gone so i guess we’ll find out how good he can be. Probably end up at Michigan.

Do you really not understand what having 25 of our 44 two deep coming from the transfer portal says about our recruiting?
It also says to prospective high school recruits that you could be sitting on the bench for 3 years waiting for your turn and then out of nowhere the school recruits a 5th year senior who puts you back on the bench for your last year. Just the way that the portal is set up - there is no loyalty. Players can't expect loyalty. And on the flip side coaches can't expect loyalty. It's completely a transactional business. And then there's the matter of Tom Allen being fired after next season. So by default everything that recruits are told is meaningless cuz he's not going to be there after next season.

It also says to prospective high school recruits that you could be sitting on the bench for 3 years waiting for your turn and then out of nowhere the school recruits a 5th year senior who puts you back on the bench for your last year. Just the way that the portal is set up - there is no loyalty. Players can't expect loyalty. And on the flip side coaches can't expect loyalty. It's completely a transactional business. And then there's the matter of Tom Allen being fired after next season. So by default everything that recruits are told is meaningless cuz he's not going to be there after next season.
You can see the future?

Reactions: DANC
He's as overrated as Penix was.

Lol I can’t tell if this means you think he’s a future heisman winner or you think penix was actually overrated while at IU.

Penix is the most talented player IU has had at qb ever. Unfortunately after deboer left he was saddled with a coaching staff that didn’t build an offense that suited his skills or kept him upright long enough to display them. Someone will say Sheridan was the OC in 2020, and he was, but watch the highlights of the PSU game. Penix was getting destroyed on every drop back he did well in spite of the OC & OL.

Lol I can’t tell if this means you think he’s a future heisman winner or you think penix was actually overrated while at IU.

Penix is the most talented player IU has had at qb ever. Unfortunately after deboer left he was saddled with a coaching staff that didn’t build an offense that suited his skills or kept him upright long enough to display them. Someone will say Sheridan was the OC in 2020, and he was, but watch the highlights of the PSU game. Penix was getting destroyed on every drop back he did well in spite of the OC & OL.
My point was that IU's coordinators and coaches have made some good players look really bad.

I see no reason whatsoever that a 5-7 170 pound running back can't smash the ball up the middle for 5-10 yards a carry or routinely pancake blitzing linebackers or crashing defensive ends in protection. The kid just isn't working hard enough at LEO. 🙄

Second behind ARE

I see no reason whatsoever that a 5-7 170 pound running back can't smash the ball up the middle for 5-10 yards a carry or routinely pancake blitzing linebackers or crashing defensive ends in protection. The kid just isn't working hard enough at LEO. 🙄
If he weighed 170 lb he would have gotten a scholarship to LSU

Reactions: Bucket Getter
He is our quickest player and a special teams weapon. He is not faster than our opponents quickest defensive players. Running laterally is easily snuffed out. He could squirt through a hole if he ever gets one. He doesn't run through contact, so we get back to him needing open field or a wide hole. He will be in the portal next year and will be a great return player for UM or another BiG program.

He isn't over rated. We are forced to use him in a way he isn't suited because we have nobody better.

I repeat - no way he weighs 170 lb. But kudos too the Indiana sports media who repeat BS stories over and over until they begin to be believed just through sheer repetition.

A couple days ago I was watching Jim Coyle talking with Don Fisher on his radio show and they were talking about Indiana still underachieving though they had some real talent on that team. Specifically they talked about being up on Michigan 70 after the first quarter and this was the only time that Michigan had been behind all season. And then Jim Coyle went on to say that the Michigan lineman don't play more than 30 snaps and they're always putting in a new fresh player and and the Hoosiers just wear out. And Don Fisher was in complete agreement. Jim and Don -wake up! This is the definition of lack of talent. And shame on the Indiana sports fans who buy this stuff hook line and sinker!

Now, as to how big Lucas is - if you remember NFL football from the 1960s and 1970s you remember Pat Fischer the cornerback for the Cardinals and the then Washington Redskins. He played his college football at Nebraska. He was an all-pro cornerback in the NFL who played 16 years. He was 5'9 170 lb. And he was as tough as nails. Measuring him up against Lucas he was a freaking monster. Can anybody imagine Lucas out there on an island by himself defending the run in the National Football League?

It's more smoke and mirrors initiated by our 5 million dollar man.

LEO

Last edited:
Rules question for the refs out there….While Lucas certainly needs to catch that punt, seemed the Long Snapper was within a yard of Lucas, then jumped back by time ball hit Lucas’ hands. What’s the call?

On a host of other teams...and he may use the portal to get there...he would make plays and contribute to a really good program. But I suspect he would not be the 'star'...

Here. He's the star. And he's trying to carry a team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT