ADVERTISEMENT

How do incoming players compare

IUCX9

Junior
Nov 30, 2018
To what our peer programs aee bringing in?

Personally I think our haul has been overall good, but not great. We plug some holes but not sure how well.

Can we compete? Can we Win Big with Cig this year?

And Merry Christmas to all

Reactions: vesuvius13

Personally I think our haul has been overall good, but not great. We plug some holes but not sure how well.

Yes and no.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I don’t know that the absolute talent level is equivalent, but I think they are a good fit for what CCC wants. I think of it a bit like Bobby Knight's teams. His recruits were not the absolutely “best” players (using an NBA all-star test) but he found players that could fit into the way he coached.

I don’t know that the absolute talent level is equivalent, but I think they are a good fit for what CCC wants. I think of it a bit like Bobby Knight's teams. His recruits were not the absolutely “best” players (using an NBA all-star test) but he found players that could fit into the way he coached.
This is what I'm hoping the case is...

We have some solid guys headed our way who should be able to "fit" well and for the most part help us in some way...

The last two rounds (now and in April) of our dipping into the Portal should give us a better idea of how we compare in terms of pure talent brought in...

Looks like "Ole" Miss is the overall Portal winner at the moment...

I don't want to be accused of being negative so my overall evaluation will stop here... Let's just say my hopes of going undefeated and winning both the Big Ten Championship and the National Championship are wavering a bit...

Much like high school recruiting classes you can't really tell much from our vantage point anyway... Unlike the h.s. classes we will be able to evaluate what level of overall talent and how well they have fit into what we are trying to do by game 5 at the latest...

Should be interesting... I still have relatively high hopes (I just finished googling Cignetti 😉)

Last edited:
The IU defense with the addition of Carpenter, Kamara, Walker, & Fisher will be much more quick with coaching by Kuntz & Haynes than what we have been accustomed over the past few years. I really believe in our new coaches/players.
Not sold on Fisher yet but I am impressed with Haynes and Kuntz as coaches... I can get onboard in believing that they know what they're doing...

If those players named understand that the Big Ten is a bigger, faster league across the board and put in the effort in the weight room to match up to the challenge then we may have something special on campus come next Fall.

Hard work and dedication along with adding a few in the coming months will determine how IU will do this coming season. Coach Cignetti's emphasis on eliminating complacency should go a long way to making IUFB better.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet but I think a REAL plus of having the JMU players coming is that they know how the coaches do things and what they expect of the players.
I have seen it mentioned many times in basketball that one of the advantage of having older players in a system is how they can help the younger players. Almost like having more coaches.
Hopefully those transferring players can get the returning and freshmen up to speed faster!

If the QB is good it will be a good class.

They found good guys to replace the good guys that left, minus the safety. Overall I’m pleased

If the QB is good it will be a good class.

They found good guys to replace the good guys that left, minus the safety. Overall I’m pleased
Lot of blame for the "23" season but to me #1 was QB. Staff procrastination, late saving face decision, new OC, finally the right selection. But the bottom line results from the QB position were most underachieving dividing by 12. Sonseri, Shanahan, Rourke, BB and Cignetti will make the position high flying in the B1G. Procrastination is not in their DNA. If the D can gamble a little and fight to a draw while pass coverage playing zone are at least mediocre I see enough points scored for 6-7 W's. Cignetti is guaranteed IUFB Nation has bought in.
Full Speed Ahead!

To those complaining about bringing JMU players. I think if you put both of our teams on a neutral field this past season they are probably a 2 TD favorite. IU was a missed chip shot field goal away from losing to a miserable Akron team and ending up with 2 wins.Coach Cig brought the ones over that can help.

Lot of blame for the "23" season but to me #1 was QB. Staff procrastination, late saving face decision, new OC, finally the right selection. But the bottom line results from the QB position were most underachieving dividing by 12. Sonseri, Shanahan, Rourke, BB and Cignetti will make the position high flying in the B1G. Procrastination is not in their DNA. If the D can gamble a little and fight to a draw while pass coverage playing zone are at least mediocre I see enough points scored for 6-7 W's. Cignetti is guaranteed IUFB Nation has bought in.
Full Speed Ahead!
QB decision is bad but dropping three straight when we had the lead under 5 minutes is coaching problems and my biggest issue. I'm optimistic in the new coaching staff though there were JMU fans who said his game management is skittish.

QB is in good hands with what the offense will bring this year. I'm excited to see our WRs do work, I think it will be a fun year with the pass game. I think bowling should be the floor with the easy schedule. Bowl win year 1 would be electric and I'm very optimistic about that.

To those complaining about bringing JMU players. I think if you put both of our teams on a neutral field this past season they are probably a 2 TD favorite. IU was a missed chip shot field goal away from losing to a miserable Akron team and ending up with 2 wins.Coach Cig brought the ones over that can help.
Yeah but I don't just want a team that can beat 2023 Indiana Football. We need a team that clinches the close games (Louisville, Illinois, MSU, Purdue) and doesn't throw up all over themselves when they have an upper echelon B1G team tight (PSU). If the culture statement needs JMU players for one year to set the tone then I'm in for it as long as we see results on the field.

The talent gap between Ohio State/Michigan/Penn State and the rest of the B10 is wider than the talent gap between the rest of the B10 (not including OSU/UM/PSU) and the top Sun Belt teams.

There were 17 5* recruits in the B10 last year. Ohio State (10), Penn St (3), and Michigan (2) accounted for 15 of the 17. Of the 293 4* recruits who played in the B10 this last year, 154 played for either Ohio State, Penn St, or Michigan.

Last edited:
Fortunately a lot of those players that Bob Knight found were McDonald's all Americans

I feel better about the offense than defense. Offense, I like the QB's we are bringing in and I think the RB room and receiving room will be crowded so will be interesting to see who enters the portal after Spring Ball. The OL should be about the same if not slightly better. Keeping Smith and getting the Wisconsin guy should help. Then year two with Bostad will help with the other guy's like Lynch.

The Defense, we are returning more than I thought but still not sure how the new JMU LB's compare to what we lost with Casey and Magnum-Farar. I expect the Kicking game should be an improvement over what we had.

It's hard to say how the JMU players do playing against Big 10 talent. Looking at something the other day and it said IU played the 33rd hardest schedule and JMU played the 111 th hardest schedule.

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
I feel better about the offense than defense. Offense, I like the QB's we are bringing in and I think the RB room and receiving room will be crowded so will be interesting to see who enters the portal after Spring Ball. The OL should be about the same if not slightly better. Keeping Smith and getting the Wisconsin guy should help. Then year two with Bostad will help with the other guy's like Lynch.

The Defense, we are returning more than I thought but still not sure how the new JMU LB's compare to what we lost with Casey and Magnum-Farar. I expect the Kicking game should be an improvement over what we had.

It's hard to say how the JMU players do playing against Big 10 talent. Looking at something the other day and it said IU played the 33rd hardest schedule and JMU played the 111 th hardest schedule.
It will be a culture shock for the JMU players when they hit B1G Ten football. I just don't think one can make the jump from 111th hardest schedule in the Sun Belt to playing against Semi Pro B1G teams is going to be a smooth transition for all. Cig, or no Cig.

It's going to be a battle for the whole season against bigger, stronger and faster athletes in this conference.

That being said, I think we'll be solid. Not the perennial doormat we've been.

Call em like I see em.

There's a reason these guys started out in the Sun Belt. Doesn't mean they haven't or can't get up to Big Ten speed...
These guys started in the Big Ten

Reactions: red hornet
But 1 yard shirt of possibly beating a very good Louisville team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT