ADVERTISEMENT

How did we get here?

Cortez88

All-Big Ten
Jan 7, 2017
To say that IU looks like a bumbling institution is an understatement. We are getting panned by national news outlets as well now.

This was avoidable. The realization that Crean wasn't the guy didn't all the sudden become evident Tuesday night. The possibility that he would be fired had to be considered by Glass, BOT and the Admin months ago. These folks should have been putting in place a plan of action for the end of the year. You know, communicated and been on the same page.

If things are as they appear and Glass has never thought about firing Crean, how did the BOT and the Admin not know this? Did those in charge really just learn that Glass' plan all along was to bring Crean back? That's a scary thought.

Further, if this is true, how can Glass keep his job? I acknowledge my bias, but how could any rationale sober person in his position think that bringing Crean back is the right answer? It's dissonance times a 100. It also makes his 2015 statement about expectations meaningless (which we knew anyway).

They make it difficult to be an IU fan. Whether it's dismissing the $100 donors or giving us 17 years of Davis, Sampson and Crean, they are either out of touch or just don't care. Soon, it's the remaining fans who won't care. Apathy is going to kill IU basketball.

If they keep him, it will be because they struck out on negotiations with desired candidates and they don't want change for change sake. They are probably just going to wait until a good coach will negotiated favorably with them. Guessing they don't want to risk making a bad hire and being stuck with that decision for 5 years, when they could sit through Crean for another year or two and then get somebody they believe in. This is the only rationale that I can come up with. It cannot just be that they earnestly believe Crean is the right coach for IU. That is impossible, or nearly.

Reactions: IUcolorado
If they keep him, it will be because they struck out on negotiations with desired candidates and they don't want change for change sake. They are probably just going to wait until a good coach will negotiated favorably with them. Guessing they don't want to risk making a bad hire and being stuck with that decision for 5 years, when they could sit through Crean for another year or two and then get somebody they believe in. This is the only rationale that I can come up with. It cannot just be that they earnestly believe Crean is the right coach for IU. That is impossible, or nearly.

Makes zero sense. Change needs to be made for changes sake. This is the bottom. It can't get worse.

If we can't attract a candidate this year, why would we next year? The program gets devalued every year we have Crean. Another lost recruiting year, including no repair to instate relations. Plus fans will leave and so will donations. They can't bring back.

I don't agree. I think there is a genuine effort by Glass to evaluate Crean and make a decision, and it's coming on the heels of their final game (which ended about 36 hours ago). The notion that they're out negotiating with other coaches makes for intriguing speculation, but that's it. Oh, and Glass shares information on a strict "need to know" basis. He's not talking, so everyone else is.

Reactions: IUcolorado
"Where are we going?" is the only Q that matters now.

It's not a good option and I always hate the interim tag, but they could always wait til the buyout drops July 1, promote an asst to interim and go forward. I hate interims, because if they are mildly successful or gain the confidence of the team, which happens frequently, then you run the risk of a program mutiny or being forced into hiring someone you don't want.

Cortez's critique is valid: we do look like bumbling idiots. My question is: "did anyone expect something different?"

To say that IU looks like a bumbling institution is an understatement. We are getting panned by national news outlets as well now.

This was avoidable. The realization that Crean wasn't the guy didn't all the sudden become evident Tuesday night. The possibility that he would be fired had to be considered by Glass, BOT and the Admin months ago. These folks should have been putting in place a plan of action for the end of the year. You know, communicated and been on the same page.

If things are as they appear and Glass has never thought about firing Crean, how did the BOT and the Admin not know this? Did those in charge really just learn that Glass' plan all along was to bring Crean back? That's a scary thought.

Further, if this is true, how can Glass keep his job? I acknowledge my bias, but how could any rationale sober person in his position think that bringing Crean back is the right answer? It's dissonance times a 100. It also makes his 2015 statement about expectations meaningless (which we knew anyway).

They make it difficult to be an IU fan. Whether it's dismissing the $100 donors or giving us 17 years of Davis, Sampson and Crean, they are either out of touch or just don't care. Soon, it's the remaining fans who won't care. Apathy is going to kill IU basketball.
Yep. I honestly think this discussion should have happened before the NIT game. Negotiate a buyout of 1.5 or 2 mil. Give Crean the option to coach the NIT game if he wants, I think he has deserved that right, and then you go from there. You can now shift your efforts to finding a suitable hire and Crean can try getting a soft landing spot and offset his buyout. Its not that bleeping hard to figure out. When this is all said and done, I think its time to replace Glass to tell you the truth.

Makes zero sense. Change needs to be made for changes sake. This is the bottom. It can't get worse.

If we can't attract a candidate this year, why would we next year? The program gets devalued every year we have Crean. Another lost recruiting year, including no repair to instate relations. Plus fans will leave and so will donations. They can't bring back.
If you think it cant get worse under a bad hire, you are very wrong. It most definitely could get worse if they make a change for changes sake. That would be dumber than thinking Crean will ever be a great coach. Just be sure...there are worse ones that Crean. We must find the right coach this season...or wait until one is available.

Reactions: asindc
If you think it cant get worse under a bad hire, you are very wrong. It most definitely could get worse if they make a change for changes sake. That would be dumber than thinking Crean will ever be a great coach. Just be sure...there are worse ones that Crean. We must find the right coach this season...or wait until one is available.

This would be a disaster. We need to play big boy basketball. Hire the best we can now. If that doesn't work out, fire him and hire the next. Don't wait 9 years and wring your hands. Act swiftly and decisively. Act like you want to have an elite program.

It's not a good option and I always hate the interim tag, but they could always wait til the buyout drops July 1, promote an asst to interim and go forward. I hate interims, because if they are mildly successful or gain the confidence of the team, which happens frequently, then you run the risk of a program mutiny or being forced into hiring someone you don't want.

Cortez's critique is valid: we do look like bumbling idiots. My question is: "did anyone expect something different?"
No disrespect, but thats just plain a bad idea. Crean did win 18 games. Put an assistant in charge of a broken team and we wont win 10 games. Let alone a complete lost year of recruiting. How would one more year of Crean look then?

This would be a disaster. We need to play big boy basketball. Hire the best we can now. If that doesn't work out, fire him and hire the next. Don't wait 9 years and wring your hands. Act swiftly and decisively. Act like you want to have an elite program.
Excuse me, but that just rhetoric...spitting into the wind. I understand your desire to see Crean gone...but falling on your sword wont do more than hurt the program in ways it cant withstand imo. Take a deep breath, hold your nose, and if we must, one more year of Crean wont be the end of the program. Do it intelligently...not knee jerk...imo.

Excuse me, but that just rhetoric...spitting into the wind. I understand your desire to see Crean gone...but falling on your sword wont do more than hurt the program in ways it cant withstand imo. Take a deep breath, hold your nose, and if we must, one more year of Crean wont be the end of the program. Do it intelligently...not knee jerk...imo.

You're right. 9 years is knee jerk.

Reactions: russelltodd
You're right. 9 years is knee jerk.
Kneejerk is hiring anyone just to get rid of him...then going through it all over again. Wake up to reality...you dont sink your dingy in the hopes a yacht will pick you up before you drown...vbg. If we have to wait another year to save 3 million and get a better coach than we can find now is a no brainer. There is no such thing as immediate gratification. I was a business exec for years...you do thing smartly or suffer the consequences of being reckless.

No...9 years is not long enough to panic. He needs to go but until the tournament...which has every and any coach we would want to hire still coaching in it is over...what is Glass to do? Think it through...

Yes, it can get worse. I get why people want change right now, but the AD should take enough time to get it right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT