ADVERTISEMENT

How bad is this team

Chasrich

Redshirt
Mar 19, 2017
Auburn which is a historically bad team and picked for last in there conference is currently up 21 on Indiana State at halftime. ISU smashed the Hoosiers by 21 and it wasn’t that close. This team must really be bad

Right now pretty bad but I feel like they will improve as the season moves on. I liked what I saw in the first half night and how hey fought after getting down early. It also appeared the players were more involved last night and showed more emotion last night.

Right now pretty bad but I feel like they will improve as the season moves on. I liked what I saw in the first half night and how hey fought after getting down early. It also appeared the players were more involved last night and showed more emotion last night.
I think you’re right and certainly hope so

Don't stress too much over the process. Just takes time. UK is starting all freshmen and I guess they won't know what they are doing till February. Defense has been awful but offense has been worse.

It's a lot different playing a team from the same state as to playing a school from somewhere else. The players get motivated to prove that IU should have recruited them. ISU was making difficult 3's and we just turned the ball over and played horrible defense.

Auburn which is a historically bad team and picked for last in there conference is currently up 21 on Indiana State at halftime. ISU smashed the Hoosiers by 21 and it wasn’t that close. This team must really be bad
IU gave Crean an (unbelievable) three year honeymoon to get it going.
They will give Archie two years which is more than generous, he will
certainly need it.

It's a lot different playing a team from the same state as to playing a school from somewhere else. The players get motivated to prove that IU should have recruited them. ISU was making difficult 3's and we just turned the ball over and played horrible defense.

We played poorly and seem to not be a very good team. That was not the result of where the other team lives

Don't stress too much over the process. Just takes time. UK is starting all freshmen and I guess they won't know what they are doing till February. Defense has been awful but offense has been worse.

How does the quality of some other team affect how good or bad we are?
We all have been looking through rose colored glasses.

Did ISU make 17 3s in that game too?

Teams can have bad nights while another can't miss. CAM has to graduate a few players and bring in players he can coach. It is hard to take a group that hasn't been asked to play defense and value the ball and turn them around in a couple of games.

We need to take our lumps with the freshmen and sophomores and see if we can build a team by the end of the year.

ISU shot 30 % from the field overall and 30% from 3 point against Auburn. They were out of their mind against IU and will not shoot like that ever again. Obviously, IU played poorly but you cannot compare games like that.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
ISU shot 30 % from the field overall and 30% from 3 point against Auburn. They were out of their mind against IU and will not shoot like that ever again. Obviously, IU played poorly but you cannot compare games like that.
Auburn had something to do with the 30% shooting but yes they probably won’t shoot that well again

Auburn had something to do with the 30% shooting but yes they probably won’t shoot that well again
Sometimes players and teams can't miss. It just so happened to be against IU. I do recall a few games over the years when IU went crazy on opponents. One game that comes to mind was Illinois in 2002.

This team isn’t very good. We aren’t in good enough physical condition to play defense and penetrate on offense for an entire game. It’s a lot easier to take the first available jump shot, and play half-hearted man to man.

This team isn’t very good. We aren’t in good enough physical condition to play defense and penetrate on offense for an entire game. It’s a lot easier to take the first available jump shot, and play half-hearted man to man.
What leads you to believe those issues are related to conditioning?

Reactions: IUXC68
We played poorly and seem to not be a very good team. That was not the result of where the other team lives

But, the margin of victory is.

Not that IU is a very good team right now, but Deli owl's point is also valid.

The thing is, you can't go from one game, then relate it to a different game. Alluding that we are like 50 points worse then Auburn. It doesn't work like that. That would have been like saying, how good is IPFW last year? They beat a team who beat Kansas and UNC.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
Nice post from a troll.

I will say this season is, and will be, going forward, in the garbage. I can't see any scenario of being an at large tourney qualifier. We would need a miracle in the conference tourney. That would be the only long shot of a chance to salvage the season.

I will say this season is, and will be, going forward, in the garbage. I can't see any scenario of being an at large tourney qualifier. We would need a miracle in the conference tourney. That would be the only long shot of a chance to salvage the season.
This season is already salvaged. We have a coach that makes the team better.

I'm not going to throw them under the bus.

And I predict that I will have tickets here in Dayton for the play in games. I will enjoy IU being there.

(he said wishfully, heh...)

Not sure what you all are looking for, but wins and losses is not what I'm evaluating.

Does this new coach get: turnovers matter, ball possession is priceless, screens really do work, a kids backside on the bench for the same stupid mistake is effective, defense really does improve game to game, a prima-donna gets a butt chewing just like everyone else, feeding post is smart, etc...

Does this coach get it and can the fans see what the coach wants by watching? Absolutely!!! In umpteen years, I never got what Crean was trying to do. I am much calmer about the future than i ever was with Crean. Be patient y'all.

What parts of the strength and conditioning program do you consider not up to snuff?
Cliff Marshall appears to be top notch. These players weren’t asked to play this hard under previous leadership. The seniors are a lost cause, and the underclassmen will need a year or two to get into good enough shape to play this style of basketball.

Reactions: IUgradman
Cliff Marshall appears to be top notch. These players weren’t asked to play this hard under previous leadership. The seniors are a lost cause, and the underclassmen will need a year or two to get into good enough shape to play this style of basketball.
It’s not at all accurate to say the players weren’t asked to play this hard under Crean. They were, and conditioning was a huge issue for him. He wore them out, truth be told.

Conditioning isn’t the issue right now.

Bob Knight was 8-6 with double digits losses to Northern Illinois and Ohio and was 1-5 in the big ten heading into February of his first year.

He was also taking over a program who's 30 year identity was to play fast.

Maybe clamored for Bobby Leonard, the star of one of our national championship teams and to keep it in the family.

Not a defensive minded, slow the game down rival bench warmer.

After February of his first year we went 9-2.

Went to the final four the next season.

original.gif

Not sure what you all are looking for, but wins and losses is not what I'm evaluating.

Does this new coach get: turnovers matter, ball possession is priceless, screens really do work, a kids backside on the bench for the same stupid mistake is effective, defense really does improve game to game, a prima-donna gets a butt chewing just like everyone else, feeding post is smart, etc...

Does this coach get it and can the fans see what the coach wants by watching? Absolutely!!! In umpteen years, I never got what Crean was trying to do. I am much calmer about the future than i ever was with Crean. Be patient y'all.
This is one of the few rational posts I’ve seen on here lately.

Bob Knight was 8-6 with double digits losses to Northern Illinois and Ohio and was 1-5 in the big ten heading into February of his first year.

He was also taking over a program who's 30 year identity was to play fast.

Maybe clamored for Bobby Leonard, the star of one of our national championship teams and to keep it in the family.

Not a defensive minded, slow the game down rival bench warmer.

After February of his first year we went 9-2.

Went to the final four the next season.

While all those things are true, it should be noted that the 71-72 team started the season unranked, but had rocketed up to #5 by the Jan. 4th visit to UNI. In fact IU knocked off #14 Kansas, #7 Kentucky and #8 BYU over the first 8 games of the season.

The losses to Ohio U. and Northern Illinois were both on the road to teams that spent time in the Top 20 that season. The day before the Ohio U. game IU had moved up to #12 and even though the Hoosiers lost to the Bobcats, they still moved up 4 more spots to #8 in the following week's Poll. I'm guessing, since Ohio had just beaten #4 Ohio St. four days prior to upending the Hoosiers, that the pollsters didn't view the loss in Athens in a poor light at all. As for UNI they were ranked #19 for their late January game with #11 So. Carolina and Kevin Joyce (my favorite non-IU player of the early 70's).

Anyway, just pointing out that Knight didn't get off to a sluggish start what-so-ever. They started the season 8-1 in impressive fashion and finished the season off with a 9-1 run. The 5 game skid in January just jumbles up the picture a bit.

While all those things are true, it should be noted that the 71-72 team started the season unranked, but had rocketed up to #5 by the Jan. 4th visit to UNI. In fact IU knocked off #14 Kansas, #7 Kentucky and #8 BYU over the first 8 games of the season.

The losses to Ohio U. and Northern Illinois were both on the road to teams that spent time in the Top 20 that season. The day before the Ohio U. game IU had moved up to #12 and even though the Hoosiers lost to the Bobcats, they still moved up 4 more spots to #8 in the following week's Poll. I'm guessing, since Ohio had just beaten #4 Ohio St. four days prior to upending the Hoosiers, that the pollsters didn't view the loss in Athens in a poor light at all. As for UNI they were ranked #19 for their late January game with #11 So. Carolina and Kevin Joyce (my favorite non-IU player of the early 70's).

Anyway, just pointing out that Knight didn't get off to a sluggish start what-so-ever. They started the season 8-1 in impressive fashion and finished the season off with a 9-1 run. The 5 game skid in January just jumbles up the picture a bit.

Thanks for this. Yeskie doesn't have Ohio and UNI listed as ranked teams so I just assumed they were.. Ohio and UNI. Lol

I was 2 so I don't remember it. Ha ha

By no means am I ripping on Knight or comparing Miller to him. I have to imagine the culture shock was intense going from the Hurrian Hoosiers to four passes before a shot.

Looking at the game by game I assumed it was something out of Hoosiers.

Thanks for this. Yeskie doesn't have Ohio and UNI listed as ranked teams so I just assumed they were.. Ohio and UNI. Lol

I was 2 so I don't remember it. Ha ha

By no means am I ripping on Knight or comparing Miller to him. I have to imagine the culture shock was intense going from the Hurrian Hoosiers to four passes before a shot.

Looking at the game by game I assumed it was something out of Hoosiers.
Good post

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT