ADVERTISEMENT

How about the Toledo coach Jason Candle ?

Sonap

Sophomore
Apr 17, 2011
Considering no Power 5 OC or DC would want this job, we have to find our next coach in the next tier.

Pretty good resume. Played and coach at Mt Union.

Or, is there another Bill Snyder out there? A long time successful assistant coach (Iowa OC x 10 years), looking for a chance as a HC? As bad as IU is at present, KSU in the late-80’s was MUCH worse.

IDK who that MIGHT be, but this MAY be what needs to happen. This kind of HC also has LOTS of coaching relationships he can lean on that he knows can coach…not the TA story of only having 5 years P5 assistant coaching experience, thus relying on guessing and hoping he got the right guys, especially as coordinators.

He’s ok but I think I might prefer another (former) MAC guy…Sean Lewis
Lewis is the OC at Colorado having left the Head Coaching job at Kent State to make that move...

He likes Boulder. I doubt he'd consider coming here.

He'd be a good choice but I think the likelyhood of our getting him is very low...

Lewis is the OC at Colorado having left the Head Coaching job at Kent State to make that move...

He likes Boulder. I doubt he'd consider coming here.

He'd be a good choice but I think the likelyhood of our getting him is very low...
For me it’s not about Lewis himself as much as it is looking for someone with that kind of background-some success as a head coach at an “underdog” school against other more successful programs with better infrastructures.

Nothing against Candle but he inherited a pretty solid program from Vampbell, at a school that is regarded by many as having some of the best, if not THE best, resources in the entire MAC. Kent State in the MAC is IMO more analogous to what IU is in the B1G 10.

This is also why I’d be less enthusiastic than a lot of other people about someone like the North Dakota State coach. You probably couldn’t find 2 programs or situations more dissimilar than NDSU and IU and I suspect their coach would be rather unprepared for the kind of mess he’d be walking into in Bloomington.

Reactions: 76-1
What about Lance Leopold? Would he leave Kansas now that he's starting to roll there?
Maybe, if you could get IU to commit contractually to major facilities upgrades the way Kansas evidently did when they hired Leipold

I’ve said this name for a while now, but if Clawson at Wake was interested, that’s a guy with coaching chops at a place that’s difficult to win at. If I’m AD, I give him a call, but I doubt Dolson has any idea who he even is.

I’ve said this name for a while now, but if Clawson at Wake was interested, that’s a guy with coaching chops at a place that’s difficult to win at. If I’m AD, I give him a call, but I doubt Dolson has any idea who he even is.
Yes, a few of us have brought his name up before. FWIW he’s making a million less per year than Allen is IIRC.

Already coached in the Midwest at Bowling Green, if memory serves. Come to think of it, if the timeline is right, he may have even already coached in Memorial Stadium.

Yes, a few of us have brought his name up before. FWIW he’s making a million less per year than Allen is IIRC.

Already coached in the Midwest at Bowling Green, if memory serves. Come to think of it, if the timeline is right, he may have even already coached in Memorial Stadium.
Not sure, but I want to say he’s 56 yrs old.

You are correct. I believe his last BG team lost at IU in ‘13. In ‘15, IU won a tight One in the rain at Wake. Then in ‘16, thanks to 5 RL INTs, including a pick 6, Wake beat IU here. His teams consistently over achieve. Someone needs to give Dolson his name.

You are correct. I believe his last BG team lost at IU in ‘13. In ‘15, IU won a tight One in the rain at Wake. Then in ‘16, thanks to 5 RL INTs, including a pick 6, Wake beat IU here. His teams consistently over achieve. Someone needs to give Dolson his name.
I also want to say he might have won a natty (Richmond maybe?) but I’d have to look that up

Too old?!?! Ridiculous!! If Clawson (or someone with similar kind of record at the P5 level and age) were even interested in IU, it would be damn near a miracle. And you want to throw out “too old?”

Reactions: IUgradman
Too old?!?! Ridiculous!! If Clawson (or someone with similar kind of record at the P5 level and age) were even interested in IU, it would be damn near a miracle. And you want to throw out “too old?”
Yes I do. IU's new HC will be walking into a bad situation requiring a massive rebuild. It will necessitate a boatload of energy and stamina. In any event, and as you've suggested, it's highly unlikely that Clawson or another older P5 coach would be interested in taking on this project - - - the losingest program in FBS history - - - late in their careers.

Yes I do. IU's new HC will be walking into a bad situation requiring a massive rebuild. It will necessitate a boatload of energy and stamina. In any event, and as you've suggested, it's highly unlikely that Clawson or another older P5 coach would be interested in taking on this project - - - the losingest program in FBS history - - - late in their careers.
I don’t know if 48 would qualify as “too old” or not-feels pretty young to an old fart like me these days- but Brent Vigen gets a lot of props lately and FWIW his team plays in a few minutes (on ESPN2 I think).

Believe he might’ve been Josh Allen’s QB coach at Wyoming.

I don’t care who the next HC is, whoever it is needs to bring in top SEC recruiters! The only way to compete for a National Championship is to recruit National Championship level players! Offer a scholly to every single 5* and the top 4* talent in the country instead of 2-3* mac level bench players! A complete program overhaul should happen once CTA is axed! All I currently see is low-end 3*recruits coming in next year that wont help this current regime improve at all!
The only good thing I can say is, atleast this program couldn’t get any worse…Could it???

• Haha
Reactions: Kelly_32
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT