ADVERTISEMENT

Hiller should've gone before Sheridan

jlasson

Freshman
Jun 24, 2021
I'm glad to see that the offense will go through a much needed reset, but Darren Hiller has easily been the worst assistant of Tom Allen's tenure. Sheridan's play calling was down right terrible this year, and warranted him being let go. BUT, I will say his job was a lot harder when he lost Penix and Tuttle, deciding between a walk on and a true freshman that still hasn't learned the playbook is not fun, not to mention all the skill players that were on the roster in spring camp and not available by the time the UM game was done. Honestly, our offense was fine last year, it's not like Sheridan was really bad last year and this year was clearly his last chance. Hiller has been downright terrible ever since he's been here, and unlike all the other assistants, his position group has actually remained healthy this year. His O-line has steadily gotten worse each year and when he took over, one of the strengths of this team was the O-line. These are all his recruits and none look like they've improved at all since they gotten to campus. The offensive line has been atrocious and it's only made Sheridan's job harder, even last year, Sheridan gave up trying to run the ball against OSU in the second quarter because it was clear Hiller's guys were getting eaten alive up front.

If CTA is serious about turning this offense around, there's absolutely no reason for Darren Hiller to be on his staff. Could you imagine trying to pitch the OC job to a guy like Justin Frye who actually knows how an O-line should function. Frye would have one conversation with Hiller and walk right out of the building. Allen needs to find someone who knows how to run an offense, any competent offensive mind would've fired Hiller two years ago. If Darren Hiller is back next year, it will show that Allen is so inept when it comes to hiring/firing offensive assistants, that he's incapable of being a solid head coach.

I disagree that the offense was OK last year. I posted way back then of how disappointed I was that NS was not able to carry through the ability of Deborer to make the offense go. His play calling was way too predictable and there was no ability shown to make adjustments when the other team made theirs. Others on here agreed with me. NS was a bad idea from the start, a nice guy but in over his head.

I’m guessing Allen will pitch the job as “you’re the head coach of the offense” and all position coaches on that side of the ball are your call. I’d kinda like the new guy to bring a few guys with him.

Be interesting to see how they finesse that with McCullough since he's got some "co-OC" title of some sort.

Reactions: mk23
Honestly, our offense was fine last year,
This isn't entirely accurate. Last year was the Michael Penix Show. His extraordinary play masked a number of problems, including the fact that we frequently had trouble getting anything going on the ground. Once Penix went down, the problems were exposed and the entire offense had trouble doing much of anything against Wisconsin and an Ole Miss team that had the second worst defense in the country.

I'm glad to see that the offense will go through a much needed reset, but Darren Hiller has easily been the worst assistant of Tom Allen's tenure. Sheridan's play calling was down right terrible this year, and warranted him being let go. BUT, I will say his job was a lot harder when he lost Penix and Tuttle, deciding between a walk on and a true freshman that still hasn't learned the playbook is not fun, not to mention all the skill players that were on the roster in spring camp and not available by the time the UM game was done. Honestly, our offense was fine last year, it's not like Sheridan was really bad last year and this year was clearly his last chance. Hiller has been downright terrible ever since he's been here, and unlike all the other assistants, his position group has actually remained healthy this year. His O-line has steadily gotten worse each year and when he took over, one of the strengths of this team was the O-line. These are all his recruits and none look like they've improved at all since they gotten to campus. The offensive line has been atrocious and it's only made Sheridan's job harder, even last year, Sheridan gave up trying to run the ball against OSU in the second quarter because it was clear Hiller's guys were getting eaten alive up front.

If CTA is serious about turning this offense around, there's absolutely no reason for Darren Hiller to be on his staff. Could you imagine trying to pitch the OC job to a guy like Justin Frye who actually knows how an O-line should function. Frye would have one conversation with Hiller and walk right out of the building. Allen needs to find someone who knows how to run an offense, any competent offensive mind would've fired Hiller two years ago. If Darren Hiller is back next year, it will show that Allen is so inept when it comes to hiring/firing offensive assistants, that he's incapable of being a solid head coach.
Last year the offense finished #94 in the country. The defense giving them short fields to work on over and over. No adjustments after half time was common last year just like this year. Opponents being depleted and the IU defense getting so many take aways covered up for a poor offense.

I am writing this down
You promise??!
Relax. There's no way Hiller will be back.
you promise??? Hiller is the most glaring obvious one given his 5-yr tenure and current state of OL play (all his recruits that he’s developed.). Semester ID’d Allennis keeping to let new OC decide. Some moves just need to be made and then will force them to find OL coach too.

Reactions: vesuvius13
You promise??!

you promise??? Hiller is the most glaring obvious one given his 5-yr tenure and current state of OL play (all his recruits that he’s developed.). Semester ID’d Allennis keeping to let new OC decide. Some moves just need to be made and then will force them to find OL coach too.
I would have thought it's easier to clean house on that side e.g. toss Hiller, rather than leave the new OC to do it? If you are holding people to account, Hillers performance was dreadful, and worse than Sheridan. You don't need to leave that decision to the hands of someone new. I found it quite odd.

Waiting for the new OC to give input as to who they will hire to coach the O line.
Why wait? Why not let Hiller go, and then let the new OC choose his replacement? I'm not sure why they would let Hiller make in home visits last weekend and continue recruiting if he's in fact on his way out. Why keep a soon the be terminated employee around any longer than necessary? This doesn't look good.

Why wait? Why not let Hiller go, and then let the new OC choose his replacement? I'm not sure why they would let Hiller make in home visits last weekend and continue recruiting if he's in fact on his way out. Why keep a soon the be terminated employee around any longer than necessary? This doesn't look good.
The only fathomable explanation is that Allen and Hiller are close enough that they've had a 1-1 and Allen has told him he is gone, but needs help until he gets a new OC on board. I agree the optics are strange.

I'm good with that, but if CTA hires another yes man spineless OC that doesn't have the guts to tell CTA that Hiller is terrible at his job and needs to go, then I'm going to be mad.
I certain he could not sleep last night concerned over your anger...NOT!...lol

Reactions: vesuvius13
I would have thought it's easier to clean house on that side e.g. toss Hiller, rather than leave the new OC to do it? If you are holding people to account, Hillers performance was dreadful, and worse than Sheridan. You don't need to leave that decision to the hands of someone new. I found it quite odd.
I also think its odd, especially if he's out there recruiting right now.

If Hiller's still around in two weeks it will prove he's got compromising pics on CTA.

• Haha
Reactions: toastedbread
Six of one...half a dozen of another...firing Hiller might set the tone and force the new OC into quick decisions...or wait on the new OC to evaluate the situation. One may be the cowardly lion way and the other a chance to empower the new OC to make his own calls and live with them. Which is right? I don't know but this is where you either trust your HC or you hedge your bets. Either its Allen's way or its not. You don't have to like it to understand the HC must follow his own drummer and do it his way...not the fans way...omg the results would be hilarious from that wouldn't it?? This is where the tire meets the road. Allen will decide his own fate by the decisions he makes now and the way he executes them.

Let's back him until he is proven wrong. Don't be a part of him failing by pulling or qualifying your support. You're either in or out. Let's see what happens next. If he screws it up, then I will call for his departure with the rest. But seems to me we are still a long way off from that day.

Stay positive. Go IU!

I'm good with that, but if CTA hires another yes man spineless OC that doesn't have the guts to tell CTA that Hiller is terrible at his job and needs to go, then I'm going to be mad.
Dude. You’re ALREADY mad.

Take a second. Breathe. Settle. Center.

Consider Allen’s hiring record. Is he batting .250? 500? .600? .750? How many good hires? How many bad?

At the top of the board screech, there have been 3 clanks (DeBord, Sheridan, Hiller), and even those have been impacted by injury to some extent. (Remember, around here, losing one player is accepted as game ending, nay, season ending.)

Hell, the Wommack and DeBoer hirings alone should prove that Allen isn’t the dumbass he is portrayed/expected to be here.

Ack
sin
chew
ate

the positive

(Remember, around here, losing one player is accepted as game ending, nay, season ending.
Why is that accepted?
The loss of DeBoer was the worst thing to happen to this program imo. With DeBoer last season they are 50/50 to make the college football playoff. A shame they couldn't find a way to save him.

Having said that, far more important than the hiring/firing of coaches is the overall record. This season was historically bad and would lead to immediate termination at major programs.

Why is that accepted?

The loss of DeBoer was the worst thing to happen to this program imo. With DeBoer last season they are 50/50 to make the college football playoff. A shame they couldn't find a way to save him.

Having said that, far more important than the hiring/firing of coaches is the overall record. This season was historically bad and would lead to immediate termination at major programs.

Your first paragraph is silly. We had no QB.

Reactions: 76-1
Why is that accepted?

I don’t accept it. But even our coaches told us that losing McFadden caused the loss that blew up the season. We jettisoned “next man up” at the drop of a LB.

We did not “do” as we “say”

I don’t accept it. But even our coaches told us that losing McFadden caused the loss that blew up the season. We jettisoned “next man up” at the drop of a LB.

We did not “do” as we “say”
Ive had a bad game which turned into multiple bad games. But that's over the course of a single day/weekend.

Somehow they managed to pull themselves together, winning the next week at WKU, admittedly not playing well. I would be disturbed to learn that the Cinci game affected them psychologically post WKU?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT