ADVERTISEMENT

He didn't even take a shot!

jacksback

Junior
Feb 5, 2003
How does Kopp continue to get more than 10 min per game let alone start? He didn't even take a shot. He doesn't rebound, plays marginal D and really does nothing particularly well. If he isn't scoring what the heck is he doing out there? Bates should start getting more of his minutes and Leal should too. You can't tell me at this point that Kopp brings more to the table than Leal does.

In the starting lineup Kopp is our fifth option. TJD, Race, Johnson, and Stewart are all above him. He will almost never be the primary option so his shots will be way below the rest.

If Leal (who is clearly already behind Galloway and Bates) were to come in he would be in a similar situation as a worse defender imo.

You could make the argument for Galloway to replace him if you wanted but more than likely in the first 7-9 minutes of each half he would just give the opponents someone else they can double Race/TJD off of.

Spacing with the starting 5 becomes an issue if it’s anyone except Kopp and Stewart in there.

In the starting lineup Kopp is our fifth option. TJD, Race, Johnson, and Stewart are all above him. He will almost never be the primary option so his shots will be way below the rest.

If Leal (who is clearly already behind Galloway and Bates) were to come in he would be in a similar situation as a worse defender imo.

You could make the argument for Galloway to replace him if you wanted but more than likely in the first 7-9 minutes of each half he would just give the opponents someone else they can double Race/TJD off of.

Spacing with the starting 5 becomes an issue if it’s anyone except Kopp and Stewart in there.
This. Kopp was open. Our players can’t find our open shooters.

How does Kopp continue to get more than 10 min per game let alone start? He didn't even take a shot. He doesn't rebound, plays marginal D and really does nothing particularly well. If he isn't scoring what the heck is he doing out there? Bates should start getting more of his minutes and Leal should too. You can't tell me at this point that Kopp brings more to the table than Leal does.
Leal….? He can’t guard well enough. Bates is a spaz. Smfh. Illinois guards the three as well as anyone.

Bates and Leal? This explains why Kopp starts. Leal can't get on the floor, and Bates totally shifted the game momentum with a wild shot and giving up an open 3.
Bates looked like he thought he was back on the AAU courts today. Lackadaisical play and just a lot of “looseness” to his game. He’s talented, just not mentally ready for this level it would seem.

Our offense is a problem IMO. We have statistically one of the best shooters in the B1G in Stewart and on a good day he gets 4-5 looks. Same with Kopp. He’s just not athletic enough to create his own shot. In this offense, he’s sunk. There just too much standing around and not enough movement. Movement does a couple things: 1. It’s harder to guard. 2. It’s gets shots for guys who can’t create their own. We’ve lost 2 homes games where we have scored 62 and 57 points. You can’t bank on a Phinisee against Purdue performance every time you play a good opponent.

Reactions: mk24 and .Gerdis
Our offense is a problem IMO. We have statistically one of the best shooters in the B1G in Stewart and on a good day he gets 4-5 looks. Same with Kopp. He’s just not athletic enough to create his own shot. In this offense, he’s sunk. There just too much standing around and not enough movement. Movement does a couple things: 1. It’s harder to guard. 2. It’s gets shots for guys who can’t create their own. We’ve lost 2 homes games where we have scored 62 and 57 points. You can’t bank on a Phinisee against Purdue performance every time you play a good opponent.
Movement and spacing .

In these losses we are losing the three point battles by 20 points. Its inexcusable given we have a few good three point shooters.

Reactions: Sobchak_Security
Movement? We get spacing. Kopp is always lined up on the far side. He won’t move much. Parker moves quite a bit.

uh, I wasn’t speaking about Kopp, I was just replying to a post about movement and wanted to add the importance of spacing.

movement does little good if you are running into one another, or there is an area of congestion.

Huh? Illinois hit 10, IU hit 3. Hence, 30-9 advantage.
10-3 advantage. They only count as 1 extra. That’s what I’m saying. They still count in shot totals. I agree we need more. So a 7 point differential.

uh, I wasn’t speaking about Kopp, I was just replying to a post about movement and wanted to add the importance of spacing.

movement does little good if you are running into one another, or there is an area of congestion.
Gotcha. My bad.

Reactions: TomEric4756
Huh? Illinois hit 10, IU hit 3. Hence, 30-9 advantage.
Until iu can hit threes at that type of clip we will not be in the top four of the big ten. Right now that seems several years away at least. Gotta be able to hit 8 or 9 a game most nights.

Until iu can hit threes at that type of clip we will not be in the top four of the big ten. Right now that seems several years away at least. Gotta be able to hit 8 or 9 a game most nights.
This team does good to hit 6.

Tend to agree with you. Kopp and Stewart can both shoot it but they are fairly slow footed and need some help getting open. They seem to be standing around alot, especially Kopp. I won't pretend to be a basketball coach but I assume this is just our offense. I don't understand it though when the modern game is so much about the 3 pointer. We didn't lose this game because TJD got schooled by Cock. We lost because their guards killed us from outside while we hit almost nothing beyond 2 ft.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Tend to agree with you. Kopp and Stewart can both shoot it but they are fairly slow footed and need some help getting open. They seem to be standing around alot, especially Kopp. I won't pretend to be a basketball coach but I assume this is just our offense. I don't understand it though when the modern game is so much about the 3 pointer. We didn't lose this game because TJD got schooled by Cock. We lost because their guards killed us from outside while we hit almost nothing beyond 2 ft.
Kopp - if we are relying on that guy to be a key piece, we are doomed.

Don’t expect transfers from Northwestern to come in and be a savior.

Reactions: bigmac76
Of the transfers I'm most disappointed and discouraged with Kopp. Even in the little we've seen of Leal he appears to me to be a player that isn't afraid to mix it up a little. At least more than Miller. Kopp doesn't even commit many fouls. Leal needs minutes to develop. During those OTJT minutes I believe he'll produce more on both ends of the court. Really not losing much with Kopp riding the pine and if in the event I'm wrong about Leal developing by playing more I'd expect sitting would motivate MK.

I'd like to see JG take some of the MK minutes...better rebounder and hustle.
Race / Jordan / TJD / Trey and X as the starting 5...worth a ty me thinks.

by far the most athletic lineup and worth a try...but I shudder to think of a starting 5 on the court where X is far and away our best 3 pt shooter. I'd pack a zone against that group and dare anyone to shoot. Becoming clear that CMW is doing the best with what he's got this year. Saturday's results show our huge weakness when a team does not have double down on TJD. Getting 2 early fouls forced us to play a different style offense and we were fairly successful. Not the first time it's happened (Purdue game) and we were successful then as well....not merely a coincidence.

Of the transfers I'm most disappointed and discouraged with Kopp. Even in the little we've seen of Leal he appears to me to be a player that isn't afraid to mix it up a little. At least more than Miller. Kopp doesn't even commit many fouls. Leal needs minutes to develop. During those OTJT minutes I believe he'll produce more on both ends of the court. Really not losing much with Kopp riding the pine and if in the event I'm wrong about Leal developing by playing more I'd expect sitting would motivate MK.
I agree with you about wanting to see more of Leal, at least what I've seen in games. Bates is getting those minutes now, and I can see trying to get him going. But I would like to see Leal get in the mix a bit too.

Kopp - if we are relying on that guy to be a key piece, we are doomed.

Don’t expect transfers from Northwestern to come in and be a savior.
I don't think counting on him to take open shots in a role as a designated shooter/scorer is asking too much. I really like Kopp's mid range game and of anyone, maybe RP, I think he's doing way less than he's capable of. Besides XJ, he's the one guy who to me has shown the ability to create his own shot a bit. His 3 shot has to be respected and he can use that to get by his man.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
JG is not a 3. His handle isn’t good enough. Defense lapses. Out of position still. He’s the reserve at the 4 for race. You going to start him at the 4? The back up 3 is trey and Bates.

I don't think counting on him to take open shots in a role as a designated shooter/scorer is asking too much. I really like Kopp's mid range game and of anyone, maybe RP, I think he's doing way less than he's capable of. Besides XJ, he's the one guy who to me has shown the ability to create his own shot a bit. His 3 shot has to be respected and he can use that to get by his man.
This. People need to realize he’s never out of position and hits his shots when they find him. Trey and bates can’t do that. We also need to stop all the talk about subbing in JG for Kopp. JG is our back up 4. He’s not a 3. Yet.

by far the most athletic lineup and worth a try...but I shudder to think of a starting 5 on the court where X is far and away our best 3 pt shooter. I'd pack a zone against that group and dare anyone to shoot. Becoming clear that CMW is doing the best with what he's got this year. Saturday's results show our huge weakness when a team does not have double down on TJD. Getting 2 early fouls forced us to play a different style offense and we were fairly successful. Not the first time it's happened (Purdue game) and we were successful then as well....not merely a coincidence.
Big problem. For one we have no back up 4 for race if JG is at the 3. JG isn’t ready to play at the 3. Handle needs work and he gets lost on D now. Imagine a scoring 3. He’d get burned. I believe he is capable of getting there though.

Reactions: Beorik
Kopp is supposed to stand where he is. He’s the kick out guy and our guys have subpar vision. They don’t find him enough. Nothing like X and trace forcing it up instead of kicking it out. We do very bad job at this.

I understand the frustration with Kopp's lack of offensive output, but if you watch him his defense is solid.

what he lacks on defense is athletic ability, but effort and positioning are excellent.

Agree with you Jack.

Maybe our 3 point shooters should pull the tapes of Steve Alford out of the archives and study them.

I remember Steve moving and moving and curling in and out of picks to finally get open.

All I've seen Kopp do is stand out on the wing and hope that his defender lays off enough that we get a pass to him to shoot.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Agree with you Jack.

Maybe your 3 point shooters should pull the tapes of Steve Alford out of the archives and study them.

I remember Steve moving and moving and curling in and out of picks to finally get open.

All I've seen Kopp do is stand out on the wing and hope that his defender lays off enough that we get a pass to him to shoot.
🤦🏻 He’s doing exactly what he’s supposed to do. Knight and Alford had unlimited time to run that style. 30 sec shot clock with 20 sec reset didn’t exist back then. Our guys are bad at kicking it out.

Reactions: ORG and hatchetdad
🤦🏻 He’s doing exactly what he’s supposed to do. Knight and Alford had unlimited time to run that style. 30 sec shot clock with 20 sec reset didn’t exist back then. Our guys are bad at kicking it out.
ahh...the good ole days of the motion offense and no shot clock. a Bob Knightmare to defend. Those days are long gone.....

love X's progress this year but he does get occasional tunnel vision at the point and misses Kopp (and sometimes Stew) setting for an open 3. Seems determined to put his head down and take it to the rim.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT