ADVERTISEMENT

Harrell fired by Purdue

Very enjoyable to watch their program implode again.

I've watched a lot of Purdue football games over the year, At least a portion of most every game since games began to be regularly televised. And I've missed only a few IU games that were televised. And I believe their first half against ND was the most brutal half I've seen for either program.

The two for IU that were most similar were the first half v. Nebraska in '73? when Corso was here, and the 2nd half of the Wisconsin game when BB ran it up on Lynch with 80+ points. But I don't think they quite matched the level of Purdue futility v. ND. Nebraska looked amazing that day v. IU. I've never seen an OL that looked that physically imposing. And I.M. Hipp looked like the greatest TB that ever played college football. So I didn't feel at the time that it was a case of IU not showing up, although it might have been more discouraging because we just didn't look like we were playing the same game. As far as the Wisconsin game, it was just the extent of the carnage. We knew we were horrible and a 50 point loss would not have surprised.

I've watched a lot of Purdue football games over the year, At least a portion of most every game since games began to be regularly televised. And I've missed only a few IU games that were televised. And I believe their first half against ND was the most brutal half I've seen for either program.

The two for IU that were most similar were the first half v. Nebraska in '73? when Corso was here, and the 2nd half of the Wisconsin game when BB ran it up on Lynch with 80+ points. But I don't think they quite matched the level of Purdue futility v. ND. Nebraska looked amazing that day v. IU. I've never seen an OL that looked that physically imposing. And I.M. Hipp looked like the greatest TB that ever played college football. So I didn't feel at the time that it was a case of IU not showing up, although it might have been more discouraging because we just didn't look like we were playing the same game. As far as the Wisconsin game, it was just the extent of the carnage. We knew we were horrible and a 50 point loss would not have surprised.
Nice thing about it is, get a good coach and it can look better again next year.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
After extension, this has 6.6 mil with bonuses. So first, confirms they could pay 7 mil in 2024. They were close 5 years ago. But let’s say he made a base of 5 mil. Per the same article, that would be 14th, which is close to top 10 money.

No. They paid $6.6M in 2019 w/ one-time retention bonuses (basically catch-up for previous years where he didn't make much), and then after 2019 he made around $5M/yr through 2022. If he would have stayed his comp would have increased to $5.5M over a few years.

Brohm made about $5M/yr at PU. Not close to $7M, and not close to the current top-10.

No. They paid $6.6M in 2019 w/ one-time retention bonuses (basically catch-up for previous years where he didn't make much), and then after 2019 he made around $5M/yr through 2022. If he would have stayed his comp would have increased to $5.5M over a few years.

Brohm made about $5M/yr at PU. Not close to $7M, and not close to the current top-10.
Gilligan struggles mathing

Sure and 5 mil was 14th highest in 2019. So Purdue has shown they will pay top 10-20 money.

Gilligan struggles mathing
How did I struggle to math? I wasn’t trying to compare 5 mil to 7 mil. Thought that was pretty obvious. I get it. You want to believe Purdue is a poverty program that can’t pay more than 4 mil and has terrible facilities, support staff, and no plans to improve anything.

Sure and 5 mil was 14th highest in 2019. So Purdue has shown they will pay top 10-20 money.
The more relevant time period is last year, and the $5M and change you would have paid Brohm if he stayed would be 30th or so. We’ll see what mighty Purdoo does with Walters and the next hire.

Reactions: 76-1
The more relevant time period is last year, and the $5M and change you would have paid Brohm if he stayed would be 30th or so. We’ll see what mighty Purdoo does with Walters and the next hire.
Sure. Purdue had two options and chose cheap. That shouldn’t be an option this time around. The money is there if they decide to spend.

• Haha
Some football related gems this genius has posted from the last 3.5 months. No wonder he's over here. He probably has been laughed of the broiler boards. Why would anyone give a crap what he says?

Purdue had a 5 star DB reclassify to 2024 and they are in on a few 4 star guys they have a legit chance at. Instate guys Hall and Dye are close to coming it sounds. Wouldn't call Walters a bad hire yet. He's recruiting really well.

That’s fine. I’ve got Purdue at 4-6 wins. Should be much improved, but that schedule does them zero favors. Walter’s is the guy, but 2025 is the break through year imo. Want to see cig before I make any predictions long term with him.

How did I troll? I could see 4-6 for iu. About where I have them.

They very well could win 6 or 7. I wouldn’t be shocked. I don’t think he’s inheriting as big of a rebuild as Walter’s inherited at Purdue. Also not sure their talent is ahead of Purdue this year. Probably similar. The big ten is a big jump.

You do realize in big ten play, Purdue was one of, if not the best, running teams in the big ten, right? This isn’t Jeff Brohm. Running the ball should be a strength. Same starting RB and a bigger, better OL.

Also, ND has to score to steamroll Purdue. Idk why Purdue can’t control the line of scrimmage.

Yes. Purdue finished 4-8 last year. It’s what happens when you lose a couple you shouldn’t, lack overall talent at key spots, and struggle with injuries and depth. It’s why Walter’s hit the portal hard this year on top of bringing in some highly ranked recruits.

Some football related gems this genius has posted from the last 3.5 months. No wonder he's over here. He probably has been laughed of the broiler boards. Why would anyone give a crap what he says?
I mean, nothing I said was wrong at the time. Iu was a little better than I anticipated, which is fine by me because it makes this next hire for Purdue more important, assuming Walter’s is gone this year.

Purdue did have a 5 star DB reclassify. He’s started 6 games and has generally been pretty good. So accurate.

Sorry I missed on Purdue winning 4-6. Every reason I listed was accurate before the season started. Not many predicted the wheels to fall off like they did. Thought Walter’s was the guy. I was wrong. Saw a lot of positives in year one to base that on.

What gems have I posted and where am I laughed at on the Purdue boards?

• Haha
Reactions: HoosierJimbo89
As long as PU's AD feels the same way as BoilerN, my day has been made.

That Walter’s should be fired and they should pay 7 mil for a coach?
Ok, so you have changed your tune, got it. You had me confused. IU was only supposed to win 4-6 games, and now they are 6-0. PU was supposed to win 4-6 games: perhaps you meant over the next 2-3 years? PU was supposed to give ND a good game, and they got whooped 66-7. Walters was supposed to be a good coach, and he is totally shitting the bed.

So, basically just go with the opposite of whatever you have posted on here over the past several months.

Reactions: Al Bino
That's a huge reason why Purdue hired Walters. Young, energetic with a high ceiling. Has to adapt to the new ways of doing things.

I think iu would be smart to try something similar.
Yeah....we should do something similar.

Ok, so you have changed your tune, got it. You had me confused. IU was only supposed to win 4-6 games, and now they are 6-0. PU was supposed to win 4-6 games: perhaps you meant over the next 2-3 years? PU was supposed to give ND a good game, and they got whooped 66-7. Walters was supposed to be a good coach, and he is totally shitting the bed.

So, basically just go with the opposite of whatever you have posted on here over the past several months.
I said I was predicting 4-6 for iu, but 6-7 would shock me given the schedule. They are better than I thought. Credit to them.

I thought Purdue would be 4-6. And give ND a tough game. A lot of people did. They didn’t a look bad and probably gonna fire their coach. I was wrong.

I guess if that’s changing your tune because you saw you were wrong about predictions, then sure. I’m changing it. Predictions are that, predictions. Everything I said preseason I backed up with facts. Now I’ll just hope Purdue finds a coach like Cig that can turn it around in one year.

• Haha
Reactions: HoosierJimbo89
Your homer take on basically everything was a swing and miss.
My Homer take? I predicted Purdue to be a game or two above Vegas and iu to be right around Vegas, just a game below. Super homer of me.

I also said Purdue would give ND a game. The line was 10.5 with money going on Purdue to cover. Super homer of me.

My Homer take? I predicted Purdue to be a game or two above Vegas and iu to be right around Vegas, just a game below. Super homer of me.

I also said Purdue would give ND a game. The line was 10.5 with money going on Purdue to cover. Super homer of me.
I don't believe Walters will be fired within 3 years. Nothing there to show me he's a bad coach. He just inherited quite the rebuild.

Walters will still be the coach next year. Purdues issue this year isn't coaching. And Walters is currently recruiting circles around Brohm.

Not even close, like 66-7 not close. But, by all means, keep going.

Come on dude.
You are backing up from all the posts you have made about Walters being the guy.
Just read them above.
Ya. I was wrong. I’m not backing up while trying to defend. I’m saying I got it wrong. It happens. No one bats 1.000. To me, backing up is trying to say something you didn’t say in defense. I’m not saying I didn’t say that.

I stand by everything I said preseason. Because it was mostly accurate. I didn’t foresee the train falling off the track. There were signs it was good after last season and coming into this season.

I'm thinking a guy like Jamey Chadwell at Liberty, formerly of Coastal Carolina. If I was Purdue, I'd be all over that guy RIGHT NOW.
Let's be real, Liberty can offer Chadwell a bunch more than Purdue would ever be willing to shell out to get him (they sneaky stupid money) and Chadwell is likely in line for a much better job than Purdue.

Reactions: kmathum and BoilerN
Purdue needs to go out and offer guys like Klieman and Campbell 7-8 mil and make them say no, then go after Chadwell, the current JMU coach, or someone like that. With the right hire and the right process, Purdue can make this mess a 6 win team next year.
Cambell has turned down much better jobs in previous seasons.

Brian Neubert a week ago said Tyson Helton and Ryan Walters were the only two candidates and Ryan Walters blew away the AD in the interview before they had a chance to talk to Helton.
And Tom Deinhart said today they spoke to Kleiman and it’s also known that Purdue got Shane Beamer is massive raise last year. Brian isn’t as connected to football as Tom.

And Tom Deinhart said today they spoke to Kleiman and it’s also known that Purdue got Shane Beamer is massive raise last year. Brian isn’t as connected to football as Tom.
You mean Kleiman hung up the phone? I'm talking about candidates that Bobinski actually pursued with a realistic chance of being hired. It was Helton and Walters, neither of those guys were going to command more than an entry level B10 salary.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT